The Changing Role of satan [lowercase]

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can you quote and spell out the verse to support your claim in your next reply?
I can but I won’t since you’ve already decided against the explicit text of Scripture.

Perhaps the problem is in your understanding of what evil is and what it isn’t.

I once spoke to someone who denied evil in theory but wanted me to show him in practice.

Mikey-for-sure

Jul 6, 2023
Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about the satan in Job? Was he not a person?
I view Job as a parable. satan in Job serves just as well as a synagogue of them. The intent is to demonstrate satan's purpose and character. Job's behavior glorifies God and satan wants to pour cold water on God's glory. Write a thread on who is more righteous Job, Abraham or Noah. You will see some really funky opinions coming to the fore. satan in Job was a character in a morality play, a parable.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Was it? Or was old man of Adam the devil who tempted the new man?

Good question.

Matthew 4

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil.

Did Jesus have a sin nature that could tempt Himself?

Not quite.

Is not man the god of this world?

Good question...

No they are not.

2 Corinthians 4:4​

4 In whom the god of this world (Satan) hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.​

See...

Adam had dominion, over everything........but when he Fell .. the Devil became "god of this world", Adam's dominion was transferred to the Devil.
See, you are a slave to whom you obey.
So, when Adam bit the apple, He was literally and spiritually kneeling before his new Spiritual Father.

This is why Jesus says of the unbelievers.... "you are of YOUR FATHER..... The DEVIL.... and the lusts of YOUR Father (the Devil) you will do...'""

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good question.

Matthew 4

Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the Devil.

Did Jesus have a sin nature that could tempt Himself?
Heb 4:15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Good question...

No they are not.

2 Corinthians 4:4​

4 In whom the god of this world (Satan) hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.​

See...

Adam had dominion, over everything........but when he Fell .. the Devil became "god of this world", Adam's dominion was transferred to the Devil.
Or Adam became his own adversary, satan, the devil, the carnal man who still had the dominion, but on his own behalf instead of God's...?
See, you are a slave to whom you obey.
Obedient then to ourselves and our own ways... or to God and His Way.
So, when Adam bit the apple, He was literally and spiritually kneeling before his new Spiritual Father.
From selfless potential to selfish actuality. This satan or devil was then perhaps just another idol which cannot really speak or see or hear like the ones men made from stone.
This is why Jesus says of the unbelievers.... "you are of YOUR FATHER..... The DEVIL.... and the lusts of YOUR Father (the Devil) you will do...'""
Was not their carnal father the first man, Adam?

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that Jesus had lustful thoughts?
To answer this question, I think it is helpful to have in mind the 7 Deadly Sins.
  1. Hunger is not a sin but gluttony is.
  2. Anger is not a sin but wrath is.
  3. Feelin tired and neeing rest is not a sin but being lazy is.
Emotion is not a sin but dwellling on the actions driven to excess from these emotions is a sin.

So, being a man, a sexual being, one cannot deny Jesus had hunger, anger, sexual desire, etc. Lust is beyond a natural inclination but letting it take control of you. So, no Jesus did not lust.

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
Jesus had a higher standard or definition of sin.

Matthew 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.

See Was Jesus tempted by his own desire?

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Heb 4:15For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Of course.

This world is one big eye candy.
its all Temptation, because its run by the "tempter"

Before Christ started his Ministry... he fasted and prayed a long time, and as soon as his ministry started, .. in comes the Devil to temp Him.

"if you will bow before me, i'll give you all these Kingdoms".
And the reason that is true is because Satan is the "god of this World".

If you read the account of the beginning of Jesus's passion.
He says...that the devil is coming and wont find anything "in me".

The devil is real.

Hell was created for him, before Adam was created.

Or Adam became his own adversary, satan, the devil, the carnal man who still had the dominion, but on his own behalf instead of God's...?

someone said to Eve...

"Hath God said"?

That was not Adam telling her that... tempting her to question God's word.

Jesus said..."i beheld Satan fall as lightning from Heaven."""

Luke 10:18

Obedient then to ourselves and our own ways... or to God and His Way.

Well, that is the choice that we have to deal with, as Christians.

The good news is..."Christ always gives me the Victory".. "I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me".

There is the call of the wild.. the call of the world that is always pulling on your flesh....."come to me".. "tasted this"

We are to be in the world but not "Of it".

Demas was a born again Christian, who was Paul's disciple, and He left Paul and all of it, "having love this present world".

He was probably a young man who wanted more women, wine, song...>"world".

He's in heaven now.

From selfless potential to selfish actuality. This satan or devil was then perhaps just another idol which cannot really speak or see or hear like the ones men made from stone.

Satan is alive.

He is going to empower the Anti-Christ, during the Trib-Great Trib.

Was not their carnal father the first man, Adam?

All of us are born "adamic", with a fallen nature.

"By one man's disobedience sin entered the world" = Adam's fall.

Romans 5:12-19

The 2nd Adam, who is Christ the Lord, came to RESTORE what Adam lost. ,what he gave to Satan.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus had a higher standard or definition of sin.
Jesus is the Word of God. But... for 33½ years he was a man with our temptations. We all succumbed to temptation and sinned. He never did. Our standard may not be what his was, but does it not need to be? Are we not to be seeking that which he had and which he performed?

Matthew 5:28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Aye, that is the standard for him and for us. We too need to work while it is day before when night comes...?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course.

This world is one big eye candy.
its all Temptation, because its run by the "tempter"
Even so...

1jo 2:16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

Before Christ started his Ministry... he fasted and prayed a long time, and as soon as his ministry started, .. in comes the Devil to temp Him.

"if you will bow before me, i'll give you all these Kingdoms".
And the reason that is true is because Satan is the "god of this World".

If you read the account of the beginning of Jesus's passion.
He says...that the devil is coming and wont find anything "in me".

The devil is real.
Certainly he is real to men who are sinning and living in darkness. But... to a man living in the Light, where is the Light and where is any darkness?
Hell was created for him, before Adam was created.
Is this scriptural?
someone said to Eve...

"Hath God said"?

That was not Adam telling her that... tempting her to question God's word.

The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat." Gen 3:13

Re :9And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Jesus said..."i beheld Satan fall as lightning from Heaven."""

Luke 10:18

As to falling from "heaven" I guess it depends upon what is meant by heaven and which heaven. A number of years ago a very popular preacher or messenger [or angel], Jimmy Swaggert, fell from heaven. He was a man of God who became an adversary of God's and fell.
Well, that is the choice that we have to deal with, as Christians.

The good news is..."Christ always gives me the Victory"..
When and if we are trusting in Him.
"I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me".
Amen!
There is the call of the wild.. the call of the world that is always pulling on your flesh....."come to me".. "tasted this"

We are to be in the world but not "Of it".
Yes we are, most of us, still in the world, but Jesus toward the end of his time as man subject to temptation he was no longer IN the world. Can anyone else attain to that prior to the grave?
6Demas was a born again Christian, who was Paul's disciple, and He left Paul and all of it, "having love this present world".

He was probably a young man who wanted more women, wine, song...>"world".

He's in heaven now.
Perhaps!
Satan is alive.
Yes... at least for as long as men are still in and of the world.
He is going to empower the Anti-Christ, during the Trib-Great Trib.
If we are following Christ to our own end, does it matter to us?
All of us are born "adamic", with a fallen nature.

"By one man's disobedience sin entered the world" = Adam's fall.

Romans 5:12-19

The 2nd Adam, who is Christ the Lord, came to RESTORE what Adam lost. ,what he gave to Satan.
What Adam lost was "Life". I do not believe it was given to satran. It was for reason that Jesus came:

Joh 10:10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. Did Jesus have lustful thoughts?
Has any man of flesh not had such thoughts? Those our part of man's temptations. If he follows them, they become sin. If he always resists them and/or asks God for help to deal with them will they ever become sin? Jesus never yielded to his temptations. Did his temptation include lustful thoughts? I only know what is written in the Scripture. It does read. "in all points tempted like as we are..."

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Even so...

1jo 2:16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

As to falling from "heaven" I guess it depends upon what is meant by heaven and which heaven. A number of years ago a very popular preacher or messenger [or angel], Jimmy Swaggert, fell from heaven. He was a man of God who became an adversary of God's and fell.

Before Satan became fallen, He was Lucifer a "light bearer".
He is still an "angel of light" and his ministers, (The devils ministers) are "ministers of righteousness"., tho its anti-Cross, in Type.
In Heaven, he was an "Anointed Cherub"...
If you have seen the Ark of the Covenant, you have 2 "angles"..
That is "Lucifer"....he was that type of "higher grade", "upper level", created being.

The OT, seems to indicate that Lucifer was basically Heaven's Minister of Music., as He is described in form, as having "pipes built into him".
Musical pipes ?
Musical instruments?

Something like that... perhaps.

Yes we are, most of us, still in the world, but Jesus toward the end of his time as man subject to temptation he was no longer IN the world. Can anyone else attain to that prior to the grave?

Yes.

"Christ always gives me Victory" over the world , the flesh, and the devil.

"walk in the Spirit, and you shall not commit deeds/works of the flesh".

Perhaps!

Yes... at least for as long as men are still in and of the world.

Be in the world, but not of it.

The world system is a satanic flow, towards Lust.

The born again have been given the power to exist OUT of the World., because we are "in Christ", who has "overcome the World".

If we are following Christ to our own end, does it matter to us?

That is the proper focus.

"eyes on the Prize"
"Heavenly minded".

What Adam lost was "Life". I do not believe it was given to satran. It was for reason that Jesus came:

Adam's life was not given to Satan.
Adam's dominion over all that God had given Him, was forfeited to Satan.. He is now the "god of this world".

Joh 10:10The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Yes, that is Satan.

Satan comes to harm and bring death.
God as Jesus the Christ, has come to bring life and restoration.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Before Satan became fallen, He was Lucifer a "light bearer".
He is still an "angel of light" and his ministers, (The devils ministers) are "ministers of righteousness"., tho its anti-Cross, in Type.
In Heaven, he was an "Anointed Cherub"...
This may be a common belief with regard to satan, but I do not see it by what I read in scripture. I am no expert but I do state carefully what I believe and what I do not. God knows. At a proper time He may let me in on more of the details.
If you have seen the Ark of the Covenant, you have 2 "angles"..
That is "Lucifer"....he was that type of "higher grade", "upper level", created being.

The OT, seems to indicate that Lucifer was basically Heaven's Minister of Music., as He is described in form, as having "pipes built into him".
Musical pipes ?
Musical instruments?

Something like that... perhaps.
I also add for my beliefs, 'perhaps'.

Yes.

"Christ always gives me Victory" over the world , the flesh, and the devil.

"walk in the Spirit, and you shall not commit deeds/works of the flesh".

Be in the world, but not of it.

The world system is a satanic flow, towards Lust.

The born again have been given the power to exist OUT of the World., because we are "in Christ", who has "overcome the World".

That is the proper focus.

"eyes on the Prize"
"Heavenly minded".

Adam's life was not given to Satan.
Adam's dominion over all that God had given Him, was forfeited to Satan.. He is now the "god of this world".
My doubts are not with regard to what is written in the Bible, but as what it means to me. I continue seek and according to God's will and timing to find.
Yes, that is Satan.

Satan comes to harm and bring death.
God as Jesus the Christ, has come to bring life and restoration.
Give God the glory!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
This may be a common belief with regard to satan, but I do not see it by what I read in scripture. I am no expert but I do state carefully what I believe and what I do not. God knows. At a proper time He may let me in on more of the details.

Jesus said that Satan is a "Murderer from the Beginning" and the "Father of Lies".

Paul said of the Devil..

"""""In whom the >god of this world< hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them."""""

Paul said of the Devil..

"""""Therefore we would have come unto you — even I, Paul, time and again — but Satan hindered us.""""

""""""And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure."""""

My doubts are not with regard to what is written in the Bible, but as what it means to me. I continue seek and according to God's will and timing to find.

Give God the glory!

Glory to God.

-Shalom, Shalom

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are taking that too literally. If Jesus had lustful thoughts like I have, it would be counted as sin.
How well is it that we know what was the mind of Christ? What we believe is not necessarily what we know.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Yet without SIN"..

So, He never sinned.
Had He sinned, then He would have not been able to offer Himself as a sinless sacrifice on the Cross for OUR sin.
I certainly agree with you on this point. He qualified as a sacrifice. No one else did. See the type here:
Ge 22:7And Isaac spake unto Abraham his father, and said, My father: and he said, Here am I, my son. And he said, Behold the fire and the wood: but where is the lamb for a burnt offering?
Ge 22:8And Abraham said, My son, God will provide himself a lamb for a burnt offering: so they went both of them together.

Reactions: Behold