The Chosen - Godly Truth or Dangerous Fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
My dear Matthias, there is deviation and there is deviation when it comes to sharing the character of God. Every time you or I share Jesus we deviate from the written text because we use our own words....and we use English! Every time a sermon is preached, one's own words are used to explain, to fill in ambiguity.....and if you want to be strict according to the measure I see you pushing, that would qualify as 'fictionalising' Jesus

It is God's character revealed in Jesus which is on display in the Nazarene. The written text is not Jesus. It is only representative.

When another with honourable intent attempts to share Jesus with our post modern methods, ie, film or theatre or children's books, is this a disservice to God when his character is manifest? Do we run them into the ground because we have some notion that the book which contains the record is somehow 'holier' than The Man himself ie, his character?

If you consider your method of sharing Jesus as superior, please afford us a demonstration so we are drawn to him. I have no interest in hearing of any self honouring qualifications.

I defer to the pastors whom I’ve quoted.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“It’s easy for those familiar with the Gospels to pick out the fiction; not so much for those who are biblically illiterate. The Chosen is perhaps best seen as Jesus in an ‘alternative universe’ - how would he interact if the characters of the Bible actually did these things? From that perspective, the viewer can enjoy the story as a work of fiction while being inspired to consider the character of the real Jesus, and how he might interact with us individually today.

This does create a dilemma when showing the series to children or adults with poor knowledge of the Gospels. It can be a useful tool to inspire interest in Jesus but that should be followed up with intentional Bible study to help viewers distinguish fact from fiction.”

Let's Talk About . . . 'The Chosen' (Seasons 1–2) | Christian Standard

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A few thoughts:

1. Jenkins has stated that he is filling the minds of his viewers with 95% content that is not found in the Bible. Caveat emptor - the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of the the goods before buying.

2. Some, not all, of the buyers of what he is selling act as Bereans.

3. The product he is selling are caricatures of Jesus and the apostles.

4. It truly astounds me how anyone can fail to see the danger inherent in caricaturing Jesus and the apostles.

5. Using caricatures to evangelize is beyond the pale.
Does the series claim to be 100% factual?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Does the series claim to be 100% factual?

No. It claims that 95% of the content is not found in the Bible.

Would you be concerned if Jesus says and does things in The Chosen that he didn’t and wouldn’t have said and done in the 1st century?

Last edited:

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No. It claims that 95% of the content is not found in the Bible.

Would you be concerned if Jesus says and does things in The Chosen that he didn’t and wouldn’t have said and done in the 1st century?
So treat it like you would any form of entertainment. You would have greater concerns if it was stating 100% factual!
I think you are making a "mountain out of a molehill”.
Recently I gave a youth group study where I used the calling of Peter scene to demonstrate the power of repentance! That scene was incredibly well done and the message got through to the kids....you can trust in the strength of your own flesh or you can trust in God.

1691103710108.png

You should remove them Matthias!
F2F

Reactions: Rita

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
So treat it like you would any form of entertainment. You would have greater concerns if it was stating 100% factual!
I think you are making a "mountain out of a molehill”.
Recently I gave a youth group study where I used the calling of Peter scene to demonstrate the power of repentance! That scene was incredibly well done and the message got through to the kids....you can trust in the strength of your own flesh or you can trust in God.

View attachment 35181

You should remove them Matthias!
F2F

Thanks. I think it’s important to draw attention to the inherent dangers, as do the other pastor’s whom I’ve quoted.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Thanks. I think it’s important to draw attention to the inherent dangers, as do the other pastor’s whom I’ve quoted.
You’re welcome. I think there are more pressing dangers in the World such as humanism which has crept into Christianity at an alarming rate. Also, look at how Egyptian - - > Greek Mythology has Christians in this forum talking about a make-believe Supernatural Agent of Evil who nowhere exists! A total fabrication in weak minded believers.

F2F

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States

He isn’t. I am.

He doesn’t warn of danger because he sees none.

I, and others, warn of danger because we see it.

Heed the warning or ignore it. My responsibility as a pastor is to warn.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
You’re welcome. I think there are more pressing dangers in the World such as humanism which has crept into Christianity at an alarming rate. Also, look at how Egyptian - - > Greek Mythology has Christians in this forum talking about a make-believe Supernatural Agent of Evil who nowhere exists! A total fabrication in weak minded believers.

F2F

All danger should be warned against.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

F2F
Is it subtle or not so subtle?.....the patting of oneself on one's back in various forms....yes, the assumption that the 'weak mindedness' of others is not shared by oneself?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The Chosen is historical fiction. It’s entertaining, wildly popular and many see no danger in it. Many do and warn about it.

What about the Bible? Is the Bible historical fiction? This author asserts that it is.

Is there any danger with believing the Bible is historical fiction?

The Chosen has a backstop: the Bible. This is where we go to separate fiction from fact. (But see the disturbing data on how often people, including believers, actually read the Bible.)

The Bible has no backstop. If it‘s historical fiction, we’re hosed.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Chosen is historical fiction. It’s entertaining, wildly popular and many see no danger in it. Some do and warn about it.

What about the Bible? Is the Bible historical fiction? This author asserts that it is.

Is there any danger with believing the Bible is historical fiction?

The Chosen has a backstop: the Bible. This is where we go to separate fiction from fact.

The Bible has no backstop. If it‘s historical fiction, we’re hosed.
Your attempts to discredit 'The Chosen' is a shame. It does not recognise that God will use any means at his disposal and more to convey his character as we see it in Jesus.

Have you become like a Christ denying Jewish leader who uses the scriptures to forward their own agenda?

Do you not see God's hand in modern methods of awakening minds to the wondrous way he is as opposed to the stuffy, blinkered and 'religious' Jesus depicted in much 'art' and perceived by so many as one to avoid .....justifying to themselves the reason they put up barriers at the very mention of his name?

Who is it that turns people off to Jesus if not the religious who want to 'bludgeon' folk into believing their methods of the right way.....and feeling they have a water tight case when they spruik 'it's in the bible, it's in the bible'

Have you forgotten what else is in the bible?....like incredibly disturbing stories of injustices to women?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“I love putting my feet up to read biblical historical fiction, so when I heard the novelisation of the TV series The Chosen was available, I consumed it with vigor. What I received was a vivid retelling of how Christ called his first disciples, showcasing the context of ancient Israel and the character of Jesus. …

For people who have read the Gospels multiple times, this fictional account is refreshing and highlights just how counter-cultural Jesus and his followers were. It also gives the reader space to rewrite tropes Christian tradition has placed on characters …

This would make an ideal Christmas present for any fan of historical fiction but is best paired with a re-watch of The Chosen and some time reading the Gospels. …”

A book review of Jerry B. Jenkins’ novel, The Chosen - I Have Called You By Name.

* Jerry Jenkins is the Father of Dallas Jenkins.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Your attempts to discredit 'The Chosen' is a shame. It does not recognise that God will use any means at his disposal and more to convey his character as we see it in Jesus.

Have you become like a Christ denying Jewish leader who uses the scriptures to forward their own agenda?

Do you not see God's hand in modern methods of awakening minds to the wondrous way he is as opposed to the stuffy, blinkered and 'religious' Jesus depicted in much 'art' and perceived by so many as one to avoid .....justifying to themselves the reason they put up barriers at the very mention of his name?

Who is it that turns people off to Jesus if not the religious who want to 'bludgeon' folk into believing their methods of the right way.....and feeling they have a water tight case when they spruik 'it's in the bible, it's in the bible'

Have you forgotten what else is in the bible?....like incredibly disturbing stories of injustices to women?

If you want to watch it, then do it.

• Love
Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“I love putting my feet up to read biblical historical fiction, so when I heard the novelisation of the TV series The Chosen was available, I consumed it with vigor. What I received was a vivid retelling of how Christ called his first disciples, showcasing the context of ancient Israel and the character of Jesus. …

For people who have read the Gospels multiple times, this fictional account is refreshing and highlights just how counter-cultural Jesus and his followers were. It also gives the reader space to rewrite tropes Christian tradition has placed on characters …

This would make an ideal Christmas present for any fan of historical fiction but is best paired with a re-watch of The Chosen and some time reading the Gospels. …”

A book review of Jerry B. Jenkins’ novel, The Chosen - I Have Called You By Name.

* Jerry Jenkins is the Father of Dallas Jenkins.

Guilt by association? Like.... the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, right?

When I first watched The Chosen, I was expecting the worst. I was biased against the show on this very basis..... Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins??? The whole Left Behind series was an abomination in my opinion. That's what I was waiting for with The Chosen... episode after episode. But it didn't happen.

Artistic license aside, I have been pleasantly surprised by the series. Pleased even. -To the degree that I donated substantially to 'pay it forward' and make it free for the viewing pleasure of others. Still waiting for them to step on the substance of the story in a way that steps on my toes.... hasn't happened yet.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Guilt by association? Like.... the fruit doesn't fall far from the tree, right?

When I first watched The Chosen, I was expecting the worst. I was biased against the show on this very basis..... Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins??? The whole Left Behind series was an abomination in my opinion. That's what I was waiting for with The Chosen... episode after episode. But it didn't happen.

Artistic license aside, I have been pleasantly surprised by the series. Pleased even. -To the degree that I donated substantially to 'pay it forward' and make it free for the viewing pleasure of others. Still waiting for them to step on the substance of the story in a way that steps on my toes.... hasn't happened yet.

Will be interesting to see how fans of the Left Behind series react to this.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is it subtle or not so subtle?.....the patting of oneself on one's back in various forms....yes, the assumption that the 'weak mindedness' of others is not shared by oneself?
I've just finished chatting with two ladies on this forum who believed regardless of what they do or how they live they are "saved already"...and I mean they are convinced! They don’t believe in a probationary period where faith is tested...now that's humanism at its strongest ebb!

The Spirit of madness is everywhere and here we have Matthias concerned about a series on Jesus?

F2F

Reactions: Wrangler

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I've just finished chatting with two ladies on this forum who believed regardless of what they do or how they live they are "saved already"...and I mean they are convinced! They don’t believe in a probationary period where faith is tested...now that's humanism at its strongest ebb!

The Spirit of madness is everywhere and here we have Matthias concerned about a series on Jesus?

F2F
There are quite a few who I see on this site which I consider 'weak minded'. Of course this doesn't apply to me!

What a load of cods wallop that is. The truth is I have strengths and weaknesses like everyone else. How dare I single out others I think are inferior because they don't have the same intellectual powers or who openly admit their struggles with drugs or sex or whatever.

How dare I determine another's destiny by the limited and continuing limited understanding I have of them; their knowledge or their relationship they have with their Saviour. God knows I have plenty of shortcomings; shortcomings past or present I do not have the courage to admit to others. Why? because I too have been burnt by trusting those I deemed trustworthy. May God forgive me.....and this assurance I do have, that he does.

face2face

Jun 22, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
There are quite a few who I see on this site which I consider 'weak minded'. Of course this doesn't apply to me!
But what if it did quiet? Would you own it?

James calls them unstable in all their ways - are you telling me the Apostle was wrong to warn about such things? Your response is humanism because you are not able to tell it like it is! If the Scripture plainly tells you to work out your salvation with trembling and fear and you come along with the message contrary to that, you are plainly wrong! Why? because that same message is taught agnorsim by every single Apostle.

The rest of your post is just a self justifying rant!

What a load of cods wallop that is. The truth is I have strengths and weaknesses like everyone else. How dare I single out others I think are inferior because they don't have the same intellectual powers or who openly admit their struggles with drugs or sex or whatever.

How dare I determine another's destiny by the limited and continuing limited understanding I have of them; their knowledge or their relationship they have with their Saviour. God knows I have plenty of shortcomings; shortcomings past or present I do not have the courage to admit to others. Why? because I too have been burnt by trusting those I deemed trustworthy. May God forgive me.....and this assurance I do have, that he does.

People can be doctrinally unstable, they can be unstable in character, they certainly can be imbalanced in their views (I can suffer from all these things!) Do you throw your hands in the air and cry, "cods wallop" - in doing so your prove the point.

My example speaks of those "ignorant Christians" who think they are saved without testing and trials, they are a weakening influence to be around because the misrepresent the walk in Christ, its trials and testing of faith! As the writer of the proverb said , they are "like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint!"

Both the unlearned and the unstable are dangerous elements in an forum like this because none can be taught and few in this forum are teachable. Because of their ignorance, or their weakness, they wrest/twist the Scriptures to their own destruction, and are a danger to others.

It's precisely this reason @Matthias is trying to warn people of this show, which to me is trivia compared to the issues in this forum. However, for this reason I commend Matthias because I can tell he has been with the Lord, and while I have no doubt he holds wrong doctrine, True shepherds of a flock will attempt to educate and consolidate members before they are faced by any crisis, the like is happening in Christianity today.

If your short coming is a failure on your part to seek Him, while he still can be found...then woe to you! Less forum time and more opening the Word which give light! I've seen how far humanism goes in this forum and it's disturbing.

None of us want to be this man...And he (Jesus) said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless.

Do you know what will happen to those found not to have the real Christ as their covering? Matt 22:13

Read the next verse!

F2F

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
But what if it did quiet? Would you own it?

James calls them unstable in all their ways - are you telling me the Apostle was wrong to warn about such things? Your response is humanism because you are not able to tell it like it is! If the Scripture plainly tells you to work out your salvation with trembling and fear and you come along with the message contrary to that, you are plainly wrong! Why? because that same message is taught agnorsim by every single Apostle.

The rest of your post is just a self justifying rant!

People can be doctrinally unstable, they can be unstable in character, they certainly can be imbalanced in their views (I can suffer from all these things!) Do you throw your hands in the air and cry, "cods wallop" - in doing so your prove the point.

My example speaks of those "ignorant Christians" who think they are saved without testing and trials, they are a weakening influence to be around because the misrepresent the walk in Christ, its trials and testing of faith! As the writer of the proverb said , they are "like a broken tooth, and a foot out of joint!"

Both the unlearned and the unstable are dangerous elements in an forum like this because none can be taught and few in this forum are teachable. Because of their ignorance, or their weakness, they wrest/twist the Scriptures to their own destruction, and are a danger to others.

It's precisely this reason @Matthias is trying to warn people of this show, which to me is trivia compared to the issues in this forum. However, for this reason I commend Matthias because I can tell he has been with the Lord, and while I have no doubt he holds wrong doctrine, True shepherds of a flock will attempt to educate and consolidate members before they are faced by any crisis, the like is happening in Christianity today.

If your short coming is a failure on your part to seek Him, while he still can be found...then woe to you! Less forum time and more opening the Word which give light! I've seen how far humanism goes in this forum and it's disturbing.

None of us want to be this man...And he (Jesus) said to him, ‘Friend, how did you get in here without a wedding garment?’ And he was speechless.

Do you know what will happen to those found not to have the real Christ as their covering? Matt 22:13

Read the next verse!

F2F
Why are you so quick to advise and quick to see the negative in others who you deem lesser or weaker?
Walking a mile in their shoes is surely helpful.

Paul visited the heart of heathenism and brought them good news not good advice. (is there something we can learn here?) Now hear this in its appropriate order instead of countering by 'he gave them plenty of advice'.
Good news to the blind and erring.....that was his spearhead, people who previously knew little if not a distorted view even zilch about the Hebrew God.

The Shepherds on the hills of Bethlehem......men with a reputation we might give sailors; a woman in every town. To the likes of these the Angels appeared with what? good advice? hardly! it was a flood of good news (Luke 2:8-20) ....and look at how the men responded.