The Chosen - Godly Truth or Dangerous Fiction?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Just for the record I dislike the Sparkle creed xx

If someone were to make a series out of it - The Chosen Sparkle - would that not be thinking outside of the box that would get people talking about scripture, God, etc.? Before every episode there would be an introduction, and afterward study guides which are based on scripture for viewers.

Would you support such a project?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Are people getting closer to the God of the Bible through these programs or closer to their own version of God?

That’s part of the danger that @Wrangler wasn’t able to see is my case. Your question encapsulates it perfectly. Thank you!

I counseled caution and having the attitude of a Berean. I received in return wrath and insults from those who love the program more than they do their neighbor.

It’s a matter of conscience and - when it comes to fictionalizing Jesus (and other key biblical characters) - I’m a conscientious objector.

Reactions: RLT63

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
A voice in the wind whispers sweetly, “I’m fictionalizing God. Who’s with me?”

Count me out.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Allow me to place words in the mouth of God which aren’t in the Bible but I think are feasible.“

Will that generate discussion about God, scripture, etc.? Yes.

Is that a bad thing? No.

Is there any danger in putting words in God’s mouth?

Is it wise to do so?

Does God approve of us putting words in his mouth which we think are feasible?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If someone were to make a series out of it - The Chosen Sparkle - would that not be thinking outside of the box that would get people talking about scripture, God, etc.? Before every episode there would be an introduction, and afterward study guides which are based on scripture for viewers.

Would you support such a project?
Pretty sure I would weigh it up-but would base it on what it was saying and why. My comments were based what we are talking about ‘ The Chosen ‘ and ‘ The Shack ‘
I have watched all the series of the Chosen, pretty sure that if I had an issue with it I would have not continued. I have also read the Shack twice , watched the film and gone through an in-depth bible study put together by ‘ Willie ‘ who was a moderator here before he sadly passed away.
As I said earlier thinking outside the box does not include everything.
My son and I have discussed the sparkle creed x

Reactions: Lambano

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It has been said that The Chosen is just or only entertainment. I don’t take that position, but I write it here as a preface.

What is a pulpit?

Is a book, a movie, a television program a pulpit?

Can a book, a movie, a television program be turned into, serve as, a pulpit?

If a book, a movie, a television program is used as an evangelism tool, has It become a pulpit?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Pretty sure I would weigh it up-but would base it on what it was saying and why.

Then you are acting as a Berean.

One of my concerns is for people who get their theology from television programs and movies, not from the Bible. Those persons aren’t acting as Bereans.

My comments were based what we are talking about ‘ The Chosen ‘ and ‘ The Shack ‘
I have watched all the series of the Chosen, pretty sure that if I had an issue with it I would have not continued. I have also read the Shack twice , watched the film and gone through an in-depth bible study put together by ‘ Willie ‘ who was a moderator here before he sadly passed away.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pretty sure I would weigh it up-but would base it on what it was saying and why. My comments were based what we are talking about ‘ The Chosen ‘ and ‘ The Shack ‘
If it works for you that is your choice I just don’t care for adding to the Bible

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you expecting a factual verse by verse account?
One thing that turned me off from film depictions of Jesus, like Greatest Story Ever Told, is how they portrayed him as being so above it all, not really in touch with the suffering of ordinary people. Not only is this actor particularly expressing compassion but with a likable sense of humor. Let''s take his 1st miracle.

I watched The Ten Commandments and The Greatest Story Ever Told. In TGSET, the producers were so meticulous in trying to make sure Jesus only said Bible verses (in KJV English, no less), that Jesus came across as horribly stilted. Yuck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthias

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

One of my concerns is for people who get their theology from television programs and movies, not from the Bible. Those persons aren’t acting as Bereans.
Act 17:11 - These were more noble than those inThessalonica, in that they-received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Act 17:11 - These were more noble than those inThessalonica, in that they-received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

A few thoughts:

1. Jenkins has stated that he is filling the minds of his viewers with 95% content that is not found in the Bible. Caveat emptor - the principle that the buyer alone is responsible for checking the quality and suitability of the the goods before buying.

2. Some, not all, of the buyers of what he is selling act as Bereans.

3. The product he is selling are caricatures of Jesus and the apostles.

4. It truly astounds me how anyone can fail to see the danger inherent in caricaturing Jesus and the apostles.

5. Using caricatures to evangelize is beyond the pale.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Hi Matthias
My earlier posts were not in a bid to say you were wrong, it was merely to add the context that God can and does use things. Many will disregard something completely , I don’t tend to do that. I have been the lone Christian in my family for over 40 years , until my youngest came to faith last year. I guess I have got use to getting involved with tv programs ect and allowing discussions, it often enabled me opportunity to bring scriptural truth into an arena in a natural way ( they didn’t feel I was preaching )
To be honest, as far as I am concerned both the things being discussed contain the gospel. Yes there is fiction , now I am not sure what wrongs the fiction would lead to because the gospel stories and truth are so strongly represented , but that is only my opinion.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Good on the program provider - I initially typed the “programmer” rather than “program provider,” the connotation associated with “programmer” might be too much for some - making study guides available for those who want them.

Are the study guides free or are they for purchase?

People who get their theology from television programs and movies and don’t search the scriptures to see if what they are being presented with in that programming is true aren’t very likely to be the ones obtaining study guides offered by the program provider.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rita

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The Chosen can be confusing, especially to young Christians and non-Christians.

If someone assumes The Chosen reflects biblical events accurately and the Bible’s words verbatim, they are wrong. The Chosen not only deviates from the words of Scripture but adds and subtracts in ways that, to someone unfamiliar with the gospels, could be misleading and even detrimental.

If you are not familiar with the gospel accounts, read them. If you watch it with children, non-Christians, or new Christians, read the biblical text and talk about the differences and Jenkins’ ‘what if’ moment. How is it different? Why would it matter? Is it pure conjecture, or biblically based? …”

Excerpted from a review of The Chosen by a pastor who likes the program.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The depiction of God in The Shack is heresy, plain and simple …”

An expert from a review of The Shack by the same trinitarian pastor I quoted in post #296.

Since Board policy doesn’t allow discussion of that topic, I’ll move along to the point he makes which I would like to bring to the readers’ attention.

”What’s good about The Shack? It opens the conversation. True, The Shack gives us an idea of what people want God to be, and it’s an unsettling image. But the sales numbers show clearly that people are hungry to know God and to have life’s hard questions answered. That’s where we come in.

Christians should use The Shack, and other feel-good faith-based films that drift from the truth, to open a conversation about who God is. To explain that God’s love and justice go together. That God’s wrath was satisfied in Christ. That God retains His mystery and majesty when He comes to us in Christ.

And that there is hope in the God of the Bible, but not in the God of The Shack.”

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“Now, as a pastor I would call you to beware of potential problems. That’s what a pastor does.”

The linked review of The Chosen is an update from a trinitarian pastor who takes a similar attitude / position toward the program that I do.

The excerpt I selected resonates with me. It is for me, but not only for me.

A pastor’s life isn’t an easy one. It’s an important one, and we carry scars incurred from faithfully carrying out our duty.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“The show gets a lot of things wrong and puts a false image in people’s minds of the events outlined in the Bible. …

The final straw for me was the season three opener ... an unnecessary direction with sexual overtones and innuendos. …

I know a lot of people love the show and think that it’s just the greatest thing ever. My advice would be for them to think hard about what images they are putting into their children’s minds and the lasting impact they will have on their idea of the Gospel. Do you really want a TV show created by weak Christians at best, woke ideologues with an agenda at worst, influencing the understanding of the gospel in your children’s minds?

The truth of the events represented in The Chosen is contained in the Bible. Read those words to your children, have them study them and get their theology from there. As for me and mine, we won’t be watching ‘The Chosen’.”

Someone commented earlier in the thread that season three should come with an MA rating, and added that he wouldn’t be watching the rest of the series. That person is the only one having direct knowledge of the program to offer that criticism. Fans of the program posting in this thread haven’t commented on it.

Maybe this reviewer’s concern is overblown - he addresses this in his review - but this is the second time now that this has come up.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Does The Chosen present half-truths?

Antonyms for half-truth -

Several of these antonyms - fiction being a common one - come up frequently in critical reviews of the Chosen.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
“If you describe statements as a half-truths, you mean that they are only partly based on fact and are intended or likely to deceive people.”

Several of the pastors I have quoted have expressed concerns about potential of The Chosen to confuse and / or mislead Christians new to the faith, children, and non-believers.

I don’t think the intention of The Chosen is to deceive people. However, I do think that it is likely that some people might be (unintentionally) deceived by the program.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That’s part of the danger that @Wrangler wasn’t able to see is my case. Your question encapsulates it perfectly. Thank you!

I counseled caution and having the attitude of a Berean. I received in return wrath and insults from those who love the program more than they do their neighbor.

It’s a matter of conscience and - when it comes to fictionalizing Jesus (and other key biblical characters) - I’m a conscientious objector.
My dear Matthias, there is deviation and there is deviation when it comes to sharing the character of God. Every time you or I share Jesus we deviate from the written text because we use our own words....and we use English! Every time a sermon is preached, one's own words are used to explain, to fill in ambiguity.....and if you want to be strict according to the measure I see you pushing, that would qualify as 'fictionalising' Jesus

It is God's character revealed in Jesus which is on display in the Nazarene. The written text is not Jesus. It is only representative.

When another with honourable intent attempts to share Jesus with our post modern methods, ie, film or theatre or children's books, is this a disservice to God when his character is manifest? Do we run them into the ground because we have some notion that the book which contains the record is somehow 'holier' than The Man himself ie, his character?

If you consider your method of sharing Jesus as superior, please afford us a demonstration so we are drawn to him. I have no interest in hearing of any self honouring qualifications.

Reactions: Rita