THE CHURCH

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Church/Religion/Leaders/Hirelings

Scripture lays out the operation of the "church":

1 Cor. 14:26 What then, brethren? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation.

That's wrong. We need to have a HIRELING to "study" for us; "hear from GOD" for us; and "spend our tithe" for us. Who'd be so crazy to think that any person who attends "church" needs to do ANYTHING MORE than open his/her billfold/purse?!?

I was born at night, but not last night,
Bobby Jo
Exactly. Just do work for your leader however much that is.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
You guys needed wisdom? Forget it then. Quit infringing, wisdom is good. Quarters. I did my job.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
Church/Religion/Leaders/Hirelings

Scripture lays out the operation of the "church":

1 Cor. 14:26 What then, brethren? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation.

That's wrong. We need to have a HIRELING to "study" for us; "hear from GOD" for us; and "spend our tithe" for us. Who'd be so crazy to think that any person who attends "church" needs to do ANYTHING MORE than open his/her billfold/purse?!?

I was born at night, but not last night,
Bobby Jo
Neither was I. We come from the father as well. But I need my money.

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
I believe that in God's eyes we are not spiritually divided if we have the Holy Spirit of God in us and are in Christ. We are not divided but already have the unity of the Spirit. We may not agree on doctrine or the colour of the walls in the brew room, or baptism or even about whether to have a bag or a plate for collections. But if we are born again Jesus unites us; his blood unites us; his sacrifice unites us. We are already one family in Christ; albeit a quarrelsome one.

And whilst there are divisions within the Church over unimportant doctrinal matters which have been interpreted in different ways by different sectors of Christ's body, nonetheless the important thing is that all who are born again in Christ are united with Christ and therefore must surely be united with each other.

If we will stop looking at the differences between us and begin to see ourselves as united in the way I have described then maybe that will go a long way to closing the divisions and ending the quarrels.
Well too much death? Sure it's fun but too many people turn on you. Using the term people for lack of a different word.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Definitely not. If you came for a visit you would not be able to tell who were the church leaders. One is a retired electrician and the other runs a pet store.
In the end leadership should be first and foremost spiritually discerned, right?

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what are you proposing for the ordinary guy sitting in Church, listening to the preaching of the gospel and who seeks to obey Jesus?

As you know every good sermon not only explains what the bible says but also applies it to our lives here and now.

What is your application of your sermon?

It seems you can't read what I wrote. I made my points with simple words.

Reactions: Nancy

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My church is like that.

YOU, my dear lady, are a VERY FORTUNATE person. I have NEVER attended ANY church where the "Pastor" wasn't at the pulpit week, after week, after week, after week, after week, after ... well you get the point.

In fact I was actually asked to leave an Adult Sunday School class because I asked a question where I cited Scripture which seemed to contradict the "Lesson". I was advised to obey the "house rules" and remain silent while the "Lesson" is given, -- instead of what the Bible sets forth in 1 Cor. 14. -- And this was from a "Pentecostal" church.

Hirelings ...
Bobby Jo

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
YOU, my dear lady, are a VERY FORTUNATE person. I have NEVER attended ANY church where the "Pastor" wasn't at the pulpit week, after week, after week, after week, after week, after ... well you get the point.

In fact I was actually asked to leave an Adult Sunday School class because I asked a question where I cited Scripture which seemed to contradict the "Lesson". I was advised to obey the "house rules" and remain silent while the "Lesson" is given, -- instead of what the Bible sets forth in 1 Cor. 14. -- And this was from a "Pentecostal" church.

Hirelings ...
Bobby Jo
I do feel I am fortunate to know this way of doing church Bobby Jo. I left the Church of England in 1984 and joined with other like-minded Christians who had formed this independent non-denominational church. It was made up of folk from every denomination, including ex Catholics and Salvation army people. At our core are still some of the founding members who have been added to over the years, whilst others have moved on to other ministries.

Even though there is a certain way of conducting the Sunday meeting it is still flexible enough to allow for what it says in this passage and our meetings often over-run as people get up to speak or pray etc..

1 Corinthians 14:26
[ Good Order in Worship ] What then shall we say, brothers and sisters? When you come together, each of you has a hymn, or a word of instruction, a revelation, a tongue or an interpretation. Everything must be done so that the church may be built up.

Of course it isn't perfect and along the way they seem to have lost some of the vision they once had but after belonging to a church like this I could not imagine belonging to anywhere else.

Last edited:

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is to help the lost and sinners, pagan, gentile, or not. At least try. For the guy sitting church, to read the Bible and believe upon Jesus. To seek, think, and find. With faith it's possible. He should bring his family and friends and see his new friends and family.

Just how many lost, sinners, pagan, gentile etc do you think haunt this forum?

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just how many lost, sinners, pagan, gentile etc do you think haunt this forum?

From my perspective there really aren't a lot of "lost, sinners, pagan, gentile" in this Forum. But I do see a LOT of "christians" (small "c") who may attend a denomination/church/fellowship/cult, and VERY FEW Christians (Capital "C").

So we should build up christians (small "c") into Christians (Capital "C"), so they won't hear the words: "Depart from me I knew you not."

We can't fix everything, but we should try,
Bobby Jo

Reactions: H. Richard

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
From my perspective there really aren't a lot of "lost, sinners, pagan, gentile" in this Forum. But I do see a LOT of "christians" (small "c") who may attend a denomination/church/fellowship/cult, and VERY FEW Christians (Capital "C").

So we should build up christians (small "c") into Christians (Capital "C"), so they won't hear the words: "Depart from me I knew you not."

We can't fix everything, but we should try,
Bobby Jo
Good post. Would you define me as lower case or upper case?

David kilmer

May 22, 2019
covelo
Faith
Atheist
Country
United States
As I went to Satan my old side opened up after alot of work for the church and God. My want for pleasure and lusts reopened and even further. Some good some bad. But I was angry at God because of what I went through on beliefnet because I had to work for God. What was your email and password? Beings do things of their will, but GOD IS good to all. Should I have to go to hell because I fought? The answers no. And I have earned heaven which is a gift and whatever the kingdom is isn't the issue.