The blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, is different for all but the Sinful Arrester (free?)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So there has been some question about the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, from time to time - as people grapple with whether they are beyond forgiveness or not. Some people say "I have blasphemed the Holy Spirit!" but they don't know how or to what extent. Other people give answers like "if you have to question whether you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit: you haven't done it" - which is encouraging. What I want to do here is set out, precisely what it would be to blaspheme the Holy Spirit, from a meaningful perspective.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit - to put it simply - is different for everyone, but the Sinful Arrester. Just like Jesus was able to draw all people to Himself, but the son of perdition, the Sinful Arrester is not tempted to blaspheme differently to everyone else. This is both a blessing and a curse: Men will doubt they are able to resist sin, but will find resisting the temptation to blaspheme the Holy Spirit easy; on the other hand, Men will be tempted to disregard the Holy Spirit, because He brings conviction including resistance to sin. The point is that either way, for all but the excluded, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is different from person to person (that's why you have people saying "I think I've done it" when they have no way of showing how they sin is different from the rest).

Why is the Sinful Arrester omitted from blaspheming differently? That the weight of the scripture be felt. Just as Jesus could not draw the son of perdition, that scripture be fulfilled, so the Sinful Arrester cannot vary the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, that the weight of scripture be felt. If the scripture can be felt, it can be revealed in power; if it can be revealed in power, it can change lives; if it can change lives, it can justify greater conviction. This is the power of the scripture! What we should want, is for this to have meaning; if this has meaning, we will not be tempted to ignore repentance and if we don't ignore repentance, we will have bold witness.

I hope this has been of some encouragement to you.

God bless.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know what the "Sinful Arrester" is? Could you explain?

Are you talking about one who is resisting sin in his life? Regardless, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit was given one particular example by Jesus, and this was the account in which Jesus was called demonic. Calling the work of the Holy Spirit "demonic" is a blatant rejection of the Holy Spirit in the face of His demonstrating who He is. It is a blatant rejection of God Himself, including His presence and power.

I think there can be similar examples of rejecting the Holy Spirit permanently. They all come down to seeing God clearly, in His presence, power, and character, and then attempting to de-face God by utterly rejecting Him as something undesirable, odious, and evil.

We see this kind of thing all the time in society to a lesser degree when people of the world reject Christians as "square." They view our spiritual love as "boring, demonstrative, and kumbaya." But what they are really doing is rejecting a stereotype without seeing anything more than a religious image that they've prejudged as artificial.

Blasphemy of the Spirit enters in when a person or group openly sees God's power and character, and instead of prejudging it actually judge it as something evil, as if they are gods who define as evil anything that they don't personally like or want to believe.

Those who "arrest sin" in their lives may do so either partially on a temporary basis or completely on the basis of a final commitment. Those who only sometimes resist sin may return to sin, and thus do not make a final commitment.

But those who choose to place Christ upon the throne of their heart make a complete commitment to live by the Spirit, and not by the Flesh. It is a commitment to follow Christ even if there are failures along the way.

Those who thus "arrest sin" are not guaranteed to avoid the Blasphemy of the Spirit. But if it is the product of a complete commitment to Christ, then a person cannot, by default, commit that Sin.

Last edited:

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have always understood that unless you are really saved and actually manifesting the power of he kingdom then your not really accountable.

You have to know and make a conscience effort to be a son of perdition

Reactions: Gottservant

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I don't know what the "Sinful Arrester" is? Could you explain?
Its an alternative person, like "son of perdition" but someone who arrests out of sin.

The point is, we get the weight of scriptures in the same sense that the son of perdition leads to the fulfilment of scripture.

If the Holy Spirit was never sinfully arrested, we would never feel the weight of scripture changing our lives.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its an alternative person, like "son of perdition" but someone who arrests out of sin.
You better give me some references, because I've never heard that the "son of perdition" was either an "alternative person" or "someone who arrests out of sin."

The point is, we get the weight of scriptures in the same sense that the son of perdition leads to the fulfilment of scripture.
What does that mean: the "weight of Scriptures?" Nor do I understand how you think the Son of Perdition "leads to the fulfillment of Scripture?"

The Antichrist will appear, fulfilling Scripture that predicted his coming. That's what I understand.
If the Holy Spirit was never sinfully arrested, we would never feel the weight of scripture changing our lives.

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You better give me some references, because I've never heard that the "son of perdition" was either an "alternative person" or "someone who arrests out of sin."
John 17:12 "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled."

The parallel being that the Holy Spirit has covered us, within the world and everyone is covered but the Sinful Arrester.

That's what you get when you change the subject from Jesus, to the Holy Spirit - those changes take place.
What does that mean: the "weight of Scriptures?" Nor do I understand how you think the Son of Perdition "leads to the fulfillment of Scripture?"

The Antichrist will appear, fulfilling Scripture that predicted his coming. That's what I understand.
You can know of the scriptures, but not be moved by their weight - in most cases because of a hardened heart. It was the same as the fulfilment of the scriptures in Jesus' time: people knew there was a truth, but they didn't believe fulfilment would come of it.

If I say "Jesus is the Door" then I can also say by inspiration of the Holy Spirit, that "the Holy Spirit is the Window" - that's all I'm doing here: following the inspiration.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John 17:12 "While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled."

The parallel being that the Holy Spirit has covered us, within the world and everyone is covered but the Sinful Arrester.
He was speaking of the 12, one of them being Judas, who was a son of perdition. He was someone the Lord has destined for or devoted to destruction because of his insincerity and willingness to betray him.

He had been chosen among those who were Lost to be THE one among the 12 to betray him. He was not, however, the Antichrist of Dan 7.

I'm not familiar with how you're using the term "covered"--you must be a foreigner? Sometimes translators don't give perfect translations.

Yes, the Holy Spirit protects and "covers" those who have given their heart to the Lord. Those who choose sin and independence from God are simply following their own fallen nature.
That's what you get when you change the subject from Jesus, to the Holy Spirit - those changes take place.

You can know of the scriptures, but not be moved by their weight - in most cases because of a hardened heart. It was the same as the fulfilment of the scriptures in Jesus' time: people knew there was a truth, but they didn't believe fulfilment would come of it.
I don't see much difference between Jesus and the Holy Spirit except that people can have a knowledge of Jesus and not experience his power. Or, they can experience his power and still be trapped in their sin by not yielding fully to Christ.

Reactions: Gottservant