The Cup of Suffering - Bible Study, (Many references)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 27:33 And when thy came to a place called Golgath, which means Place of a Skull, mentioned in Mark 15:22 Then they brought him to the place Golgotha, which is translated place of skull. John also documents in his shared gospel of Yeshua in Chapter 19, verse 17 saying They took Yeshua, therefore, and he went out, carrying his own cross, to a place called the Place of a Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha.

The exact location of this place I do not know, however scholars make suggestions of where it could have been. Perhaps somewhere nearby outside the city of Jerusalem.

Matthew 27:34 they gave Jesus wine to drink mix with gall, and after tasting it, he was unwilling to drink. Once after having to carry the worlds sin on his back, through temptationsa and trials, here Jesus is given - wine to drink - which is mix with gall ( a mixation which makes the drink sour I think ), Jesus simple had a taste of what it was, and then he was unwilling to drink. The death of the Lord, was a fulfilling of a restoration of the mixation which Jesus had tasted. Bringing forth reconciliation not only for God's chosen people whom He started out with claimed the nation of Israel, which Joshua gave out all the territory assigned to everyone but the Levites. Jesus was coming to bring forth reconciliation to God for all the people of the world, and this would be do his drinking of the cup of suffering, which lead ultimately to the death of the Lord on the cross. This suffering was on behalf of his Father, and on behalf of the world as large as he loved all people, and desired for all to come but warned that not all would be willingly. It is said that even all the apostles but John died for their faith, ( I believe that John could have been taken up during the coming back of Jesus in his age that he lived in, which is just a side not and could be wrong.)

Welcome to this bible study, and hope you are able to find this useful somehow to you in understanding the cup of suffering - This will cover a small scale of verses, to look at and consider, if you would like to know more about this subject. Be encouraged to check out isolated verses and the verses around them too.

Cup of suffering,

Matthew 27: They gave him wine to drink mixed with gall, and after tasting it, he was unwilling to drink.

Job 9:18 He will not allow me to (a) get my breathe, but saturates me with(b) bitterness.​
Job 7:19 (a) Will you ever turn your gaze from me, nor leave me alone until I swallow my spittle.​
Job13:26 (b) For you write bitter things against me, and make me inherit the guilty deeds of my youth.​

Psalm 60:3 You have (a) made your people experience hardship; you have given us wine to drink that makes us stagger.​
While this is an isolated verse, it speaks to to me on how Yahava, was never favorable just to the Israelites, Yahava was fair to everyone, and everyone reaped from their own decisions, and because of those decisions, without repentances, hardships always fell upon them because of their heart and the wine which Yahava offers, is the death an dburial and resurrection of Yeshua, however, even in the Lords day, people were staggered by him as he lived.​
Psalm 66:12 (a) You made men ride over our heads: We went through fire and water.​
Psalm 71:20 (a2) You who have show me many troubles and distresses; will revive me against and will bring me up against from the depths of the earth.​
Psalm 80:5 You have fed them with (a) bread of tears, and you have made them drink tears in large measure.​
Psalm 42:3 (a) My tears have been my food day and night, while they say to me "Where is your God."​
Pslam 102:9 (a2) For I have eaten ashes like bread, and mixed my drink with weeping.​
Lamentations 3:15 He has filled me with (a) bitterness and has made me drink plenty of wormwood.
Jeremiah 9:15 therefore this is what Yahava of armies, the God of Israel says: "Behold, I will feed this people wormwood; and I will give them poisoned water to drink." (Psalm 80:5)​
Matthew 20:22 But Yeshua replied, "you do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup that I am about to drink ? They said to him, "We are able."

Matthew 26:39 And he went a little beyond them, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, "My Father if it is possible, let (a) this cup pass from me, (b) yet not as I will, but as you will."
(a) Matthew 20:22​
(b) Matthew 26:42 He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, "My Father, if this cup cannot pass away unless I drink from it, your will be done." Interesting that Jesus mentions the cup passing away, however only if he drinks from it.​
Matthew 27:34 they gave him win mixed with bile to drink, and after tasting it, he was unwilling to drink it.
It is interesting, what Jesus said in the previous verse, and again here in his verse which reminds me of the first couple of verses, that were gone through. To me this mixation was symbolic for how the house of Israel was still very materially based, and causing much grief on their fellow peoples, and not helping, but instead domination took over Israel, and eventually it even lead to the death of the Lord Yeshua, just as the old prophets were killed by them when they had came around. Jesus having in my opinion tasted, and drank the cup of suffering willingly the moment he gave up the spirit, and called out to God, why have you forsaken me, and then dies on the cross, is the completion of the law, the prophets (after the coming back of Christ (which I do believe has happened today.) Yeshua, has had victory, and has allowed all people to have access to Yahava, by and through creation, and God's handiwork which is able to be seen every day, at least in my opinion which could be wrong.​
Mark 5:26 and she had endured much at the hands of many physicians, and had spent all that she had and was not helped at all but instead, became worse.
A note here on this is, in that through worldly means, does not mean it will always lead to something becoming better, but it could become worse, while taking medications are okay, put trust in faith in Yahava, and continue to renew and seek out God in faith if you so desire to do. This also could be a seen in the picture of the Lord Jesus Christ, about his own ministry which had its own up and downs, from people glorifying, to people shaming him, and ask Yeshua continued along, the cup of suffering just continue to grow before him, and probably why he called out to God, to take it from him.​
Mark 10:38 But Jesus said to them "You do not know what you are asking. Are you able to drink the cup I drink, or to be baptized with the baptism I am baptized?"

Mark 14:36 And he was saying, (a) "Abba! Father! all things are possible for you; remove this cup from me; (b) yet not what I will but what you will."
(a) Romans 8:15 For you have now received a spirit of adoptions as sons and daughters by which we cry out, "Abba, Father."​
(b) Matthew 26:39​
Luke 22:42 saying, "Father, if you are willingly, remove this cup from me, yet not my will, but yours be done.

John 18:11 So Jesus said to Peter "Put the sword into the sheath, the cup the Father has given me, am I not to drink it?

This is a lot of information to consider, would you consider that Jesus did drink the cup of suffering?

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mt 26:39And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
The carnal nature of the Jesus did not want to drink the cup, but after this third request to his Father, Jesus did not ask his Father again. Rather, having overcome the last temptation in his course as a man of flesh, he went forward to the cross without hesitation. He had already overcome the world:

Joh 16:33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
What then is this world that he had overcome? Certainly not planet Earth...

1jo 2:16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

From that point, I believe, [Matt 26:39], Jesus was no longer in a world of temptation even though the cross was before him:

Joh 17:11And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mt 26:39And he went a little farther, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.
The carnal nature of the Jesus did not want to drink the cup, but after this third request to his Father, Jesus did not ask his Father again. Rather, having overcome the last temptation in his course as a man of flesh, he went forward to the cross without hesitation. He had already overcome the world:

Joh 16:33These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.
What then is this world that he had overcome? Certainly not planet Earth...

1jo 2:16For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

From that point, I believe, [Matt 26:39], Jesus was no longer in a world of temptation even though the cross was before him:

Joh 17:11And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are.

Oh okay, thank you for sharing Ama. Do you believe that Jesus drank from the cup of suffering?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh okay, thank you for sharing Ama. Do you believe that Jesus drank from the cup of suffering?
Yes! He prayed three times asking his Father to relieve him of the necessity, but each time he included this:

"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."
Was it not the Father's will for Jesus to suffer and die?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes! He prayed three times asking his Father to relieve him of the necessity, but each time he included this:

"...nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt."
Was it not the Father's will for Jesus to suffer and die?
awesome :)

Reactions: amadeus

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to the Fathers will, Jesus seems to willingly give up his life for the love of God, and the love of all of mankind in order to bring forth reconciliation to the whole world. Yahava was pleased to be able to crush the body which took on sin at death, by accepting it as a acceptable offering, on behalf of his son choosing to allow his Fathers will to be done in and through him, which throughout the life of the Messiah, Yeshua, Jesus, also named Immanuel. Suffered with a willingly life of obedience, seeking faithfully out to Yahava, and praying to him. The Fathers will was to reconcile everything back to himself, and the prophecies in the old testament, that proclaimed about this one to come, was Yeshua, and they say that the lamb was slain before the foundations of the world. Therefore, yes, the Fathers will, for Jesus was to live and love him, and love others, spread the truth which Yahava spoke through him and taught him, and shown him. The people choice was to put him on the cross, that was Israel and they killed him, when they gave him over to be judged by Pilate. Then Yeshua chose to die for Yahava, and in this moment, Yahava forsake Yeshua on the cross, and rose him back up again on the third day, which is the reflection of what happens here on earth. People die, and then they are raised back up from the death again.

Those are my thoughts on that question, Amadeus.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for anyone who has viewed and taken advantage of this study which may be worth while, or unworthwhile. May the spirit of God guide and may you be encouraged to continue to still study whoever may read this.

Matthew

Reactions: APAK and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When it comes to the Fathers will, Jesus seems to willingly give up his life for the love of God, and the love of all of mankind in order to bring forth reconciliation to the whole world. Yahava was pleased to be able to crush the body which took on sin at death, by accepting it as a acceptable offering, on behalf of his son choosing to allow his Fathers will to be done in and through him, which throughout the life of the Messiah, Yeshua, Jesus, also named Immanuel. Suffered with a willingly life of obedience, seeking faithfully out to Yahava, and praying to him. The Fathers will was to reconcile everything back to himself, and the prophecies in the old testament, that proclaimed about this one to come, was Yeshua, and they say that the lamb was slain before the foundations of the world. Therefore, yes, the Fathers will, for Jesus was to live and love him, and love others, spread the truth which Yahava spoke through him and taught him, and shown him. The people choice was to put him on the cross, that was Israel and they killed him, when they gave him over to be judged by Pilate. Then Yeshua chose to die for Yahava, and in this moment, Yahava forsake Yeshua on the cross, and rose him back up again on the third day, which is the reflection of what happens here on earth. People die, and then they are raised back up from the death again.

Those are my thoughts on that question, Amadeus.
Or is it that all people descended from the 1st man Adam were dead to God? When and if they were drawn by the Father and they chose the Life which Jesus brought they were quickened [brought to Life or resurrected] by the Holy Spirit.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Or is it that all people descended from the 1st man Adam were dead to God? When and if they were drawn by the Father and they chose the Life which Jesus brought they were quickened [brought to Life or resurrected] by the Holy Spirit.

I do not know Amadeus. All one can really do is speak from what the heart is in which one shares what one believes. It's always good to have faith, and to seek God in faith, no matter what type of troubles may come upon one in life, and to work out their salvation with fear and trembling, may Yahava be made to known to have love for all mankind, and for his vast and wise decisions, which none us can really comprehend however only ponder and be thankful for life as one has it today, even with the given hardships, and uncertainty. Love to you and all who may come by and check out this bible study, which may be beneficial to newcomers, or veterans in their season and measure of faith.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While thinking about and sharing these things back and forth with others, another scripture comes up to my mind, which the Lord had spoken.

Discipleship Is Costly​

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 25 For whoever wishes to save his [a]life will lose it; but whoever loses his [b]life for My sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

In Matthew 16:24-26 Yeshua speaks to his disciples and says - if anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his own cross and follow me.

That is a huge statement. He goes on to say, For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

To lose ones life, is to give up ones ways, and follow and be in step with the spirit, and walk in faith trusting that your Father is there with you, living in you and you can ask for help by the spirit, when your flesh wants to start causing a ruckus for you, and they continue to fight back and forth. Those who follow Christ Yeshua, also in a sense have a suffering they go through as well, just as the suffering of the whole world groans in pains. To sooth those pains, is to look to the spiritual side of life, as the material side of life will eventually fall away, and rust.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While thinking about and sharing these things back and forth with others, another scripture comes up to my mind, which the Lord had spoken.

Discipleship Is Costly​

24 Then Jesus said to His disciples, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. 25 For whoever wishes to save his [a]life will lose it; but whoever loses his [b]life for My sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul?

In Matthew 16:24-26 Yeshua speaks to his disciples and says - if anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his own cross and follow me.

That is a huge statement. He goes on to say, For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.

To lose ones life, is to give up ones ways, and follow and be in step with the spirit, and walk in faith trusting that your Father is there with you, living in you and you can ask for help by the spirit, when your flesh wants to start causing a ruckus for you, and they continue to fight back and forth. Those who follow Christ Yeshua, also in a sense have a suffering they go through as well, just as the suffering of the whole world groans in pains. To sooth those pains, is to look to the spiritual side of life, as the material side of life will eventually fall away, and rust.
The whole loaf is what is asked of us... not a quarter nor a half nor even 3/4.
Ro 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Only reasonable service! What would or could be outstanding service?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The whole loaf is what is asked of us... not a quarter nor a half nor even 3/4.
Ro 12:1I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.
Only reasonable service! What would or could be outstanding service?

Ama,

If I could be looked at by Yahava like he looked at job, an upright, and righteous person that would be wonderful. However, I do not know how Yahava really looks at me other than his son by faith and adoption. Always desires to work with me if I allow him to. Sometimes I wonder if my life has amounted up to anything in regards to his liking, and the answer to that is no. He is pleased by faith, and that faith is a choice to have every single day that one wakes up. There are probably better people who walk in the spirit a lot more than me, and perhaps I believe they would be far better sons or daughters than myself. The thing to remember is that the cost of being a disciples is trusting YAhava over all your own feelings, and over everyone else in your family, first and foremost, and to love your neighbor as yourself. Yahava still knows what we do or do not do, whether we look towards him and allow him to work or not. He will not be outwitted, and or mocked.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Reasonable service?
Equals body a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God! What more can a person do all alone? But... being led and empowered by the Holy Spirit, can there be more?