The cycle of abuse

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
He use to have that affect on me - cannot stand the guy , not sure about Joyce Meyer though- I don't listen to her anymore but use to and some of what she said actually did make sense, but maybe that's because there was abuse in my past and I understood the mind games it created within me. So I am not going to throw everything out with regards to her.
Rita
Okay cool.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Many people need something tangible to believe in. Faith alone won't cut it. So they depend on external stimuli that seems to be in an abundance in those circles.
My phone is tangible, why would I believe in it? That it's actually a phone and not a hot iron in my hand.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
He use to have that affect on me - cannot stand the guy , not sure about Joyce Meyer though- I don't listen to her anymore but use to and some of what she said actually did make sense, but maybe that's because there was abuse in my past and I understood the mind games it created within me. So I am not going to throw everything out with regards to her.
Rita
Me neither, I have heard good stuff from Joyce Meyer and read a couple of her books. But jellyjam says he's agnostic so perhaps he wouldn't agree with much that she said.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How is she not abusing people with her theology, that's what I wonder. I used to watch her religiously (You know what I mean) but after some time she ended up like a snake oil salesmen.
Joyce Meyer is a false teacher, so you got that right. Sadly, too many of those who use the TV and radio are false teachers, false apostles, and false prophets. Christians need to discern the true from the false.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Joyce Meyer's father did to her as a child is pale in comparison to what her teaching does to people today. She has millions of mind's in her hands, young and old alike. The way I see it, is that she is up on the pulpit claiming she talks on the behalf of the Almighty God. She's a true blue believer, and she's gonna get your mind set straight with God.

How is she not abusing people with her theology, that's what I wonder. I used to watch her religiously (You know what I mean) but after some time she ended up like a snake oil salesmen.
Actually, I think I DO know what you mean when you say you gave yourself "religiously" to various teachings.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What Joyce Meyer's father did to her as a child is pale in comparison to what her teaching does to people today. She has millions of mind's in her hands, young and old alike. The way I see it, is that she is up on the pulpit claiming she talks on the behalf of the Almighty God. She's a true blue believer, and she's gonna get your mind set straight with God.

Are you willing to address the same question about an athiest who uses a podium to abuse people?

In my experience, most atheist posing the question you asked are not. They blame faith as being abusive, and deny that a faithless person can be just as abusive. In reality, abuse is not caused by faith (or lack thereof) but by wretched sinful people, whom are found in all venues. Rather than wasting time pointing fingers at faith, time/energy is far better spend on figuring out how to build people amp to not abuse / be abused in any venue.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Are you willing to address the same question about an athiest who uses a podium to abuse people?

In my experience, most atheist posing the question you asked are not. They blame faith as being abusive, and deny that a faithless person can be just as abusive. In reality, abuse is not caused by faith (or lack thereof) but by wretched sinful people, whom are found in all venues. Rather than wasting time pointing fingers at faith, time/energy is far better spend on figuring out how to build people amp to not abuse / be abused in any venue.
Abuse can come from any place or institution, I'm not denying that. Do you think that in the case of the abusive Atheist pushing their agenda on to people, it is directly connected to what they believe? That there no different to the religious mob who push their beliefs onto people.

Any kind of belief a person has just might end up being harmful.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll tell you a little secret, I used to scream at my television when Benny Hinn came on. I just wanted help for my own faith you know. But Benny Hinn just made me mad, real mad. Because he'd be, well I'm sure you can understand why anyone would be mad at him.

I was kicked out of bible forum for laughing at Benny Hinn. They also said I was offensive and inappropriate because I said I laughed so hard watching one of his "healing" shows that I almost peed my pants. If I have time later, ill tell you about the show.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abuse can come from any place or institution, I'm not denying that. Do you think that in the case of the abusive Atheist pushing their agenda on to people, it is directly connected to what they believe? That there no different to the religious mob who push their beliefs onto people.

Any kind of belief a person has just might end up being harmful.
Exactly. Atheists can be just as guilty at this as theists, so there's really zero point going after the "it's all because of religion" red herring.

Reactions: Acolyte

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I was kicked out of bible forum for laughing at Benny Hinn. They also said I was offensive and inappropriate because I said I laughed so hard watching one of his "healing" shows that I almost peed my pants. If I have time later, ill tell you about the show.
Wow! You are a suprise and a half. When I watch Benny Hinn, I feel sick in the stomach and end up on the toilet for a long time. His shows are sure crap, I tell you that.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Exactly. Atheists can be just as guilty at this as theists, so there's really zero point going after the "it's all because of religion" red herring.
Umm, although you have to accept the reality that religion is a faith based, belief centred factory. I think you'll find that religion takes the cake when it comes to harmful beliefs.

And that is my point, and why I opened this thread about Joyce.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Umm, although you have to accept the reality that religion is a faith based, belief centred factory. I think you'll find that religion takes the cake when it comes to harmful beliefs.

And that is my point, and why I opened this thread about Joyce.
Please find me an ideological (atheist, theist, political, social, etc) camp which could not be described as a "belief centred factory".
Send a person to school- you are sending them to have specific beliefs impressed upon them.
Turn on the TV- you are streaming to have specific beliefs impressed upon yourself.
Go to a political gathering -- you're going to hear and re-broadcast certain beliefs.
Do any parenting/mentoring/teaching -- you're impressing certain beliefs on others.
Etc.

Going after this like it's something unique a church is ridiculous and hypocritical.

JellyJam

Apr 24, 2019
Brisbane, Queensland
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Please find me an ideological (atheist, theist, political, social, etc) camp which could not be described as a "belief centred factory".
Send a person to school- you are sending them to have specific beliefs impressed upon them.
Turn on the TV- you are streaming to have specific beliefs impressed upon yourself.
Go to a political gathering -- you're going to hear and re-broadcast certain beliefs.
Do any parenting/mentoring/teaching -- you're impressing certain beliefs on others.
Etc.

Going after this like it's something unique a church is ridiculous and hypocritical.
You are correct, the problem is belief.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! You are a suprise and a half. When I watch Benny Hinn, I feel sick in the stomach and end up on the toilet for a long time. His shows are sure crap, I tell you that.

I have felt that queasy feeling too, watching a few tv preachers, but I don't actually get ill but I do get a terrible headache. But that mass "healing" one, you couldn't help but laugh. Okay, I'm just going to describe it.