The Death of Lazarus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I think Jesus wept because this is the fate of mankind since the fall of Adam and Eve, having now the curse of sin and death. This furthers His purpose in dying on the cross...to become victorious over death and to restore us back to eternal life.

this goes very close to the actual answer but not close enough imho - take another careful look at Jn 19:26&27 - twinc

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
as already stated as at Jn 19:26&27 - twinc

I’m sorry. How does John 19:26-27:
[26] When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! [27] Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Relate to:
John 11:1-2
[1] Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. [2] (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)

Reactions: Helen

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I’m sorry. How does John 19:26-27:
[26] When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! [27] Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Relate to:
John 11:1-2
[1] Now a certain man was sick, named Lazarus, of Bethany, the town of Mary and her sister Martha. [2] (It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick.)

it is amazing how some folk complicate things and then say it is complicated - Jesus said to His mother not mother but woman - so is this okay by you before you further find everything else okay - twinc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Our Savior wept for those who did not believe, the lost sheep of Israel, for those that were convinced that Lazarus was gone, and for all Israel. He wept when He entered the City, on the Colt, Luke 19:41-44 -41- Now as He drew near, He saw the City and wept over it!
42- Saying, "If you had known, even you, especially in this your day, the thing's that make for your Peace! But know they are hidden from your eye's.
43- For the day's will come upon you when your enemies will build an Embankment around you, Surround you and close you in on every side!

Amen..that is what I have always believed too.

Reactions: Truth

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree that this is the likeliest explanation. The Lord already knew that He would raise up Lazarus, so He was certainly not weeping for his demise. In fact He planned it so that there would be absolutely no question that this was a mere *resuscitation*, but an actual resurrection at the point where the body would begin to decompose.

Everyone who had gathered around the tomb of Lazarus would have known that Christ had already raised the dead in other situations. They could have (and should have) believed that He could do the same here. But even the apostles were not focused on His power, but upon the death of Lazarus. So it was unbelief.
Many get "Resurrection" and "Raised From The Dead" confused.

Lazarus was "Raised From The Dead" and later died again.

Jesus Christ Is The Only Human Body That Has Been "Resurrected" being the firstfruit of the resurrection.

Those that have died in faith will see a future resurrection, at the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Helen

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Lazarus was "Raised From The Dead" and later died again.
No one can say that categorically. And please note:

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. (Mt 27:52,53).

Do you really believe these died again? Rather they ascended with Christ to Heaven. Chances are Lazarus may have been with them.

Also, there is no material difference between resurrection and raised from the dead. In either case it is supernatural.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
No one can say that categorically. And please note:

And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. (Mt 27:52,53).

Do you really believe these died again? Rather they ascended with Christ to Heaven. Chances are Lazarus may have been with them.

Also, there is no material difference between resurrection and raised from the dead. In either case it is supernatural.

there is a world of difference between Resurrection and documented cases of 'suspended animation' where as far as medical science goes a person would be regarded as dead and yet come to life - twinc

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
it is amazing how some folk complicate things and then say it is complicated - Jesus said to His mother not mother but woman - so is this okay by you before you further find everything else okay - twinc

so why have the questions come to an end, is it because you now understand Jn19:26&27- show us what you understand and maybe others might also care to join in with their misunderstandings especially those inspired by the H/S - twinc

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
so why have the questions come to an end, is it because you now understand Jn19:26&27- show us what you understand

Nothing hard to understand here. As Mary's only son, Jesus is responible for her. He transfers that responsibility to his disciple(s).

Peace!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing hard to understand here. As Mary's only son, Jesus is responible for her. He transfers that responsibility to his disciple(s).

Peace!

nothing hard to understand - so just lets see - did you or would you ever refer to your mother as woman - would she have been pleased - btw maybe you would rehouse your comparatively young mother with a young man but with the strict Pharisees of the day this would have been a scandal of the first magnitude unless you could provide a good reason why not imho - so is this your inspiration by the H/S or your very own contribution - twinc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Many get "Resurrection" and "Raised From The Dead" confused.
2 Timothy 2:8 Lexicon: Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descendant of David, according to my gospel,
Acts 4:2 Lexicon: being greatly disturbed because they were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

apparently the same according to Scripture. I dunno, a diff term is used, but the syntax sure seems to support this.
I actually went into this agreeing with you, now i dont know
ps i just grabbed two vv, looking at ten or so would prolly be better i guess

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
- did you or would you ever refer to your mother as woman - would she have been pleased - btw maybe you would rehouse your comparatively young mother with a young man

I see no reason to read that as other than a title of respect, much as we might say 'madam' or 'ma'am'. And yes ive called my mother 'ma'am'.

Further, Mary would have been pushing 50.. Would you call that 'comparatively young?'

Peace!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I see no reason to read that as other than a title of respect, much as we might say 'madam' or 'ma'am'. And yes ive called my mother 'ma'am'.

Further, Mary would have been pushing 50.. Would you call that 'comparatively young?'

Peace!

are you trying to convince me, yourself or the Pharisees - btw it seems to be glibly and blatantly ignored that the rule for scripture interpretation is that the literal and obvious must first be accepted unless reason or necessity dictate otherwise - btw look back and see you have not even answered why the beloved disciple was beloved - twinc

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
are you trying to convince me, yourself or the Pharisees - btw it seems to be glibly and blatantly ignored that the rule for scripture interpretation is that the literal and obvious must first be accepted unless reason or necessity dictate otherwise - btw look back and see you have not even answered why the beloved disciple was beloved - twinc

The literal and obvious interpretation is that Jesus is ensuring His mother will be taken care of.... As any righteous son would do!

Did you ask a question about the beloved disciple? I must have missed it...
Peace!

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Timothy 2:8 Lexicon: Remember Jesus Christ, risen from the dead, descendant of David, according to my gospel,
Acts 4:2 Lexicon: being greatly disturbed because they were teaching the people and proclaiming in Jesus the resurrection from the dead.

apparently the same according to Scripture. I dunno, a diff term is used, but the syntax sure seems to support this.
I actually went into this agreeing with you, now i dont know
ps i just grabbed two vv, looking at ten or so would prolly be better i guess
Post your verses supporting "Resureection"

The "Resurrection" is a future last day event.

I' sure you will see Lazarus was raised from the dead, and not resurrected.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
The literal and obvious interpretation is that Jesus is ensuring His mother will be taken care of.... As any righteous son would do!

Did you ask a question about the beloved disciple? I must have missed it...
Peace!

why was the beloved disciple more beloved than the others by Jesus and Mary it seems - btw did you never ask yourself this question - twinc

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Post your verses supporting "Resureection"
well, those two seem a decent enough start i guess? But i will be verifying that myself
The "Resurrection" is a future last day event.
Understand I AM

i'm never quite sure how to reply to that; obviously Christ and Lazarus I have resurrected already right.

do you assume that the part of you meant to die (at baptism) is going to a place called "heaven" someday? Bc if you are committed to knowledge that brought you joy i guess it's better if you put me back on ignore for now wadr
I' sure you will see Lazarus was raised from the dead, and not resurrected.
no one has ever gone to heaven except the one who came down from it, the Son of Man, we are told.
And i guess i can be sure of something, too;
you will see Him come down the same way you saw Him go up

getting what the name Lazarus means (Eleazer in Hebrew) and connecting the two Lazaruses makes the meaning plain--or at least plainer--but i am reluctant to even get into the subject here tbh. Mostly bc i am not up to speed yet myself on the subject, and the conclusions are not going to be consistent with the herd view of Lazarus anyway.

So while this really takes a book or at least a pamphlet to get into, we also have two (2) of the eight Eleazers in the Bible who are connected to death stories--their brothers died for stuff, outta time sry but i think it was Strange Fire, and i forget the other...prolly the Touching the Ark thing, that would make sense anyway--and they figure into the death of the two Lazaruses too

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
lazarus resurrected - Google Search

looking like Lazarus is a proxy for Eleazer, so commentary on a priestly connection i don't quite get yet, but it sure looks to me like resurrection = raised from the dead. At least i can't find any refute for it

Raised From the Dead and Resurrected

ah here's one; if you accept heaven as a place you might get to go to only after you literally die, this might be for you

Last edited:

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
why was the beloved disciple more beloved than the others by Jesus and Mary it seems - btw did you never ask yourself this question - twinc
No , i never have asked myself that question... Never even thought of the question... Probably because the answer seems so obvious to me...

John loved Jesus, without reservation, with his whole heart and followed him everwhere.. His love for Jesus was so great, that he overcame his fear, and was the only disciple to remain with HIM throughout His Passion.

The great love of John, is seen throughout his gospel and lettters...

Peace!