The Doctrine of OSAS

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Studying a bit I came across this verse and found it relevant. Jesus Himself describes what is is to be His disciple and what the end result of being His disciple is. From my standpoint of OSAS, there is only the saved and the dammed. God does not start the salvation process in an individual only to stop that process. Being that Jesus is the author and perfecter of our faith, (Hebrews 12:2) He will never fail.

John 8:31-32

31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine;
32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.”

Notice here the condition, If you continue in My word...
Again I refer to the parable of the four soils. (Luke 8:4-21) There is only one soil that we would describe as "saved."

My conclusion, those who do not continue in His word were pseudo disciples. This type of calling is/was never salvific in nature, thereby pseudo disciples never posses salvation only to lose it.

Those who are "saved" do continue in His word. Those who are "saved" do avoid sin. Those who are "saved" are justified, regenerated, glorified, redeemed. These and only these are Jesus' sheep.

Rach1370

Apr 17, 2010
Australia
musterion said:
Okay Rach, you win. Just like last time we spoke, I tried giving you the straightest answers I could but when I ask you straight questions, you dodge them and claim they're not relevant. You're not dealing fairly or honestly with me here, so I'm out. So long.
Wow. I pretty much admitted I could be wrong and invited you to show me and explain verses I found contradicted your claims. I was about as open as I could be. Yes, I disagreed with some of your interpretations....but I was still open to discussion about it all. If that's not 'dealing fairly or honestly' with you, then I don't know what is....

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In reference to the free-will issue:
Romans 6:6-7

6 knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;
7 for he who has died is freed from sin.

Romans 6:16

16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

John 8:34

34 Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is the slave of sin.

It is clear that the biblical teaching is we are not free in any sense, but we are slaves. The apostles repeatedly refer to themselves as slaves, and scripture refers to believers as slaves to righteousness or slaves of God. Yes we have the ability to sin, yet this does not necessitate "free-will" especially as defined in the secular sense. Speaking in the biblical sense, we have choice, and we are culpable for our choices, yet again this is not what most consider "free-will". To think of ourselves as complete in the sense of free moral agents, the non-believer must be able to choose to please God, yet scripture clearly states that is impossible. (Hebrews 11:6) Understandably this is a difficult concept in light that the non-believer would not choose to please God because they do not believe He exists yet I will present another case.

So here the conundrum presents itself when we as moral agents choose to live sinlessly. This is an impossible task and is specifically why we need Jesus. This then necessitates we look at our definition of free-will, where I conclude, Jonathan Edwards: “The ability to choose as one pleases”, has the best definition. With this definition the will is driven by desire and in the case of the unregenerate their desire is never set on pleasing God rather on pleasing self. Yet if one sets their desire to live sinlessly, one will always succumb to sin. Now some argue that once one has the power of the Holy Spirit they can live a life sinless, as to which I say that is a different topic altogether.

Looking to the idea of Cain failing to be obedient to God's teaching and choosing his will necessitating "free-will"...

Instead of attempting to explain anything let me make an assertion we all know to be true.

God is omniscient, or all knowing. Thereby God knows the end from the beginning. God knew Cain would not choose to be obedient, yet God choose to warn him anyways. Digging deeper than that God knew Cain would kill Able, yet God created them both anyways. Going further than that God knew Adam would eat of the tree of knowledge, yet God planted it in the garden anyways.
To further this thought, God knows all who will reject Him. God knows all who are going to hell. God creates them and sends them to hell anyways.

Let me state this clearly before the accusations fly...
I am not a Calvinist, I am a Christian.

That aside let me explain the reasoning behind a Calvinistic perspective of double predestination.

Upon birth all are destined to death and hell. It is only upon acceptance of the gospel that we can change that fate or end. So when looking to this issue God is not sending some to hell and some not to hell, God is choosing to save some. When asked why God chooses those he does... God has mercy on whom He has mercy, all for His purpose and glory.

An illustration for this concept:
A couple goes into an orphanage. This couple chooses to bring home two children. By selecting two of these children the couple did not choose to not take home the rest of the other children, they simply choose to take home the two they did.

I am not advocating this idea, simply explaining it.

williemac

Apr 29, 2012
Canada
justaname said:
That aside let me explain the reasoning behind a Calvinistic perspective of double predestination.

Upon birth all are destined to death and hell. It is only upon acceptance of the gospel that we can change that fate or end. So when looking to this issue God is not sending some to hell and some not to hell, God is choosing to save some. When asked why God chooses those he does... God has mercy on whom He has mercy, all for His purpose and glory.

An illustration for this concept:
A couple goes into an orphanage. This couple chooses to bring home two children. By selecting two of these children the couple did not choose to not take home the rest of the other children, they simply choose to take home the two they did.

I am not advocating this idea, simply explaining it.
I feel you did not explain it to the degree that the bible explains it. Just because it says He has mercy on whom He has mercy, this does not indicate that He has not given us His criteria for choosing. It simply means that He knows what He is doing.
The bible tells us that God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud. Therefore if we put these two insights together, we can see that who He has mercy on is he who humbles himself. The illustration is plain as day in Luke 18:10-14. And since God knows all things, He therefore predestined certain people for certain destinies based on His foreknowledge.
The example of those who are chosen at an orphanage is extremely weak in my opinion. If the parents knew that they were saving a life or not saving a life, then this would be a big dilemma for their conscience, knowing that the person not chosen would die as a result. God, having this knowledge, desires that none should perish. So lets not pass any baloney onto us about Him going against His own desire by allowing people to perish just because He did not choose them. He did not flip a coin. There is a criteria. This is not a lottery. God may be all powerful, but surely we ought to give His character a little more credit than some seem to do.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
williemac said:
I feel you did not explain it to the degree that the bible explains it. Just because it says He has mercy on whom He has mercy, this does not indicate that He has not given us His criteria for choosing. It simply means that He knows what He is doing.
The bible tells us that God gives grace to the humble and resists the proud. Therefore if we put these two insights together, we can see that who He has mercy on is he who humbles himself. The illustration is plain as day in Luke 18:10-14. And since God knows all things, He therefore predestined certain people for certain destinies based on His foreknowledge.
The example of those who are chosen at an orphanage is extremely weak in my opinion. If the parents knew that they were saving a life or not saving a life, then this would be a big dilemma for their conscience, knowing that the person not chosen would die as a result. God, having this knowledge, desires that none should perish. So lets not pass any baloney onto us about Him going against His own desire by allowing people to perish just because He did not choose them. He did not flip a coin. There is a criteria. This is not a lottery. God may be all powerful, but surely we ought to give His character a little more credit than some seem to do.
Please take note:

"Let me state this clearly before the accusations fly...
I am not a Calvinist, I am a Christian.

That aside let me explain the reasoning behind a Calvinistic perspective of double predestination."

This is not the perspective I hold, this is a Calvinistic perspective. Also keep in mind I am not an expert in this subject. I am certain there are Calvinists that would shudder at my explanation.

For a better perspective in this subject you may want to refer to "The Potter's Freedom" by James White
For a complete view of the subject though you should probably first read "Chosen but Free" by Norman Geisler
because White's book is a response to Geisler's

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
The issue for me is whether or not God is omnipotent and sovereign.

Does He or doesn't He have the ability and the authority to do whatever He wants to do whenever He wants to do it?

God's omnipotence and sovereignty do not require us mere mortals to understand what God chooses to do before He can do it.

We mere mortals have a bad habit of thinking, "God wouldn't do anything that doesn't make sense to me."

Our carnal nature (and, yes, we still have a carnal nature even if we are saved) prompts us to want to have God completely figured out.

Yet, our carnal minds can't completely figure out God.

Isaiah 55:8-9 states the following:

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the Lord.
As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Sadly, we mere mortals underestimate just how easy it is for us to subconsciously reject things that don't make sense to us, even if those things are clearly taught in the Bible.

Here are some examples.

Exodus 4:11:

The Lord said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the Lord?

In the above verse, God says that He makes deaf people deaf, makes mute people mute and makes blind people blind.
Why would God choose to do such things to people? I do not know, and I do not need to know before God can do so.
His sovereign plan is beyond my comprehension while I remain on this side of eternity.

Exodus 4:21:

The Lord said to Moses, “When you return to Egypt, see that you perform before Pharaoh all the wonders I have given you the power to do. But I will harden his heart so that he will not let the people go.”

In the above verse, God says that He will manipulate Pharaoh's heart so that Pharaoh will not let the Israelites go.

Wouldn't it have been easier on the Israelites for God to have softened Pharaoh's heart so that he would let the Israelites go? Well, from a mortal's perspective, yes, it would have been easier, but God doesn't look at things from a mortal's perspective.

John 6:43-44:

Stop grumbling among yourselves,” Jesus answered. No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day.
John 6:64-65:

For Jesus had known from the beginning which of them did not believe and who would betray him. He went on to say, “This is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has enabled them.
So, twice Jesus Himself said that a person cannot become a believer in Jesus unless God the Father enables that person to. Why would God the Father choose to place such a limit on people? I do not know, and I do not need to know before God can do as He wills in this matter.

Romans 9:18:
Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.
Again, why would God choose to harden anyone? Such a choice by Him doesn't make sense from the perspective of a mere mortal.

In summary, God can and will do things that don't make sense to us while we remain on this side of eternity.

So, are we to reject what the Bible says that God does because what He does doesn't make sense to us?

God forbid!

Thus, when we read what the Bible says about God, let us refrain from insisting that the ways of God must conform to our way of thinking.

Reactions: Rach1370

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Dodo_David.

There's a limit to what is possible with God and what is PROBABLE with God. We know that all things are possible with God, but NOT ALL THINGS ARE EXPEDIENT! For instance, to use the old argument: Sure, God is powerful enough to make a rock so big that He can't move it ... and MOVE IT ANYWAY! It's not impossible to see this: He could simply make a rock large enough that it fills the known Universe, and then create a new dimension to the Universe and move it anyway! The simplicity is this: WHY WOULD GOD MAKE SUCH A ROCK IN THE FIRST PLACE? Even from our limited minds we can see that such an activity would be counterproductive and therefore inefficient!

There is no contradiction in the two statements, "God can do anything," and, "God cannot sin." The simple answer is that sin is the "HOLE IN THE DOUGHNUT" of righteousness! It's not something that is done; it is something NOT done! It is a LACK of righteousness, and God has no lack in that area! Disobedience is the LACK of obedience out of love! Killing is the LACK of valuing a person's life! Stealing is the LACK of valuing what another values of his possessions! Indeed, ANY sin is the LACK of love for a holy and loving God!

Now, regarding Romans 9:18, we need to look at the verse more clearly in its context:

Romans 9:1-33
9 1 I am speaking the truth — as one who belongs to the Messiah, I do not lie; and also bearing witness is my conscience, governed by the Ruach HaKodesh (the Holy spirit): 2 my grief is so great, the pain in my heart so constant, 3 that I could wish myself actually under God’s curse and separated from the Messiah, if it would help my brothers, my own flesh and blood, 4 the people of Isra’el! They were made God’s children, the Sh’khinah (the Presence) has been with them, the covenants are theirs, likewise the giving of the Torah, the Temple service and the promises; 5 the Patriarchs are theirs; and from them, as far as his physical descent is concerned, came the Messiah, who is over all. Praised be Adonai (YHWH) for ever! Amen.

6 But the present condition of Isra’el does not mean that the Word of God has failed.

For not everyone from Isra’el is truly part of Isra’el; 7 indeed, not all the descendants are seed of Avraham (2 Chronicles 20:7; Psalm 105:6); rather, “What is to be called your ‘seed’ will be in Yitz’chak.” (Genesis 21:12) 8 In other words, it is not the physical children who are children of God, but the children the promise refers to who are considered seed. 9 For this is what the promise said: “At the time set, I will come; and Sarah will have a son.” (Genesis 18:14) 10 And even more to the point is the case of Rivkah; for both her children were conceived in a single act with Yitz’chak, our father; 11 and before they were born, before they had done anything at all, either good or bad (so that God’s plan might remain a matter of his sovereign choice, not dependent on what they did, but on God, who does the calling), 12 it was said to her, “The older will serve the younger.” (Genesis 25:23) 13 This accords with where it is written, “Ya‘akov I loved, but Esav I hated.” (Malachi 1:2-3)

14 So are we to say, “It is unjust for God to do this”? Heaven forbid! 15 For to Moshe he says, “I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will pity whom I pity.” (Exodus 33:19) 16 Thus it doesn’t depend on human desires or efforts, but on God, who has mercy. 17 For the Tanakh says to Pharaoh, “It is for this very reason that I raised you up, so that in connection with you I might demonstrate my power, so that my name might be known throughout the world.” (Exodus 9:16) 18 So then, he has mercy on whom he wants, and he hardens whom he wants.

19 But you will say to me, “Then why does he still find fault with us? After all, who resists his will?” 20 Who are you, a mere human being, to talk back to God? Will what is formed say to him who formed it, “Why did you make me this way?” (Isaiah 29:16; 45:9) 21 Or has the potter no right to make from a given lump of clay this pot for honorable use (such as a flower vase) and that one for dishonorable (such as a latrine)? 22 Now what if God, even though he was quite willing to demonstrate his anger and make known his power, patiently put up with people who deserved punishment and were ripe for destruction? 23 What if he did this in order to make known the riches of his glory to those who are the objects of his mercy, whom he prepared in advance for glory — 24 that is, to us, whom he called not only from among the Jews but also from among the Gentiles? 25 As indeed he says in Hoshea,

“Those who were not my people I will call my people;
her who was not loved I will call loved;
26 and in the very place where they were told,
‘You are not my people,’
there they will be called sons of the living God!” (Hoshea 2:25)

27 But Yesha‘yahu, referring to Isra’el, cries out,

“Even if the number of people in Isra’el is as large
as the number of grains of sand by the sea,
only a remnant will be saved.
28 For Adonai will fulfill his word on the earth
with certainty and without delay.” (Isaiah 10:22-23)

29 Also, as Yesha‘yahu said earlier,

“If Adonai-Tzva’ot had not left us a seed,
we would have become like S’dom,
we would have resembled ‘Amora.” (Isaiah 1:9)

30 So, what are we to say? This: that Gentiles, even though they were not striving for righteousness, have obtained righteousness; but it is a righteousness grounded in trusting! 31 However, Isra’el, even though they kept pursuing a Torah that offers righteousness, did not reach what the Torah offers. 32 Why? Because they did not pursue righteousness as being grounded in trusting but as if it were grounded in doing legalistic works. They stumbled over the stone that makes people stumble. (Isaiah 8:14) 33 As the Tanakh puts it,

“Look, I am laying in Tziyon
a stone that will make people stumble,
a rock that will trip them up.
But he who rests his trust on it
will not be humiliated.” (Isaiah 28:16)
CJB

Therefore, it is not about a human being's choices; "all of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags!" It's how God chooses to intervene in one's self-destructive choices!

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Retrobyter said:
Shalom, Dodo_David.

There's a limit to what is possible with God and what is PROBABLE with God. We know that all things are possible with God, but NOT ALL THINGS ARE EXPEDIENT! For instance, to use the old argument: Sure, God is powerful enough to make a rock so big that He can't move it ... and MOVE IT ANYWAY! It's not impossible to see this: He could simply make a rock large enough that it fills the known Universe, and then create a new dimension to the Universe and move it anyway! The simplicity is this: WHY WOULD GOD MAKE SUCH A ROCK IN THE FIRST PLACE? Even from our limited minds we can see that such an activity would be counterproductive and therefore inefficient! . . .

. . . Therefore, it is not about a human being's choices; "all of our righteousnesses are as filthy rags!" It's how God chooses to intervene in one's self-destructive choices!
An activity performed by God can be "counterproductive and therefore inefficient" from a human perspective but not from God's perspective.

Again, what God does doesn't have to make sense to us mere mortals before God can do it.

We mere mortals have a bad habit of trying to make God conform to our image, to make Him think and act the way we would if we could be God.

Subconsciously, we tend to think, "God would not do that, because I would not do that if I were God."

It is as if we want God to glorify us by thinking and acting the way that we want Him to think and act.

Is God an all-powerful genie in a bottle who must do what we tell Him to do? I think not.

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
An activity performed by God can be "counterproductive and therefore inefficient" from a human perspective but not from God's perspective.

Again, what God does doesn't have to make sense to us mere mortals before God can do it.

We mere mortals have a bad habit of trying to make God conform to our image, to make Him think and act the way we would if we could be God.

Subconsciously, we tend to think, "God would not do that, because I would not do that if I were God."

It is as if we want God to glorify us by thinking and acting the way that we want Him to think and act.

Is God an all-powerful genie in a bottle who must do what we tell Him to do? I think not.
I have also found people think, "God would not do that because that is not fair."
I do agree God is not partial, yet God does not have to be fair rather just. In His sovereignty and according to His nature He chooses to be merciful and bestow grace.

Pharaoh is a great example of God not being fair. This is also an example of God showing His sovereignty over man's free will.

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
justaname said:
I simply question if someone can thwart God's plan for sanctification in the life of the believer once He has started. (Philippians 1:6)

If Jesus died on the cross for the sins of humanity (1John 2:2), then what sin that I may commit will exclude me from salvation, excluding the whole "blaspheme the HolySpirt"?
Phil 1:5,6 "For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:"

---The confidence Paul had in God that God would perform that good work in those Philippian Christians was due to them remaining "in the gospel from the first day unto now". God works in those who are in and remain in His gospel word and if one falls away and does not remain in the gospel, God does no longer work in him. The Christian must remain in the gospel and overcome and remain faithful unto death, Rev 2:10,26

--any sin(s) a Christian commits but does not repent of, Lk 13:3,5; 1 Jn 1:7, then that sin(s) will keep him from being saved for no one will carry a single unremitted sin into heaven.

AndyBern said:
My pastor has a saying: "You can lose your salvation but you can't lose God's salvation." Perhaps more accurately put: If you can lose your salvation, you never had it to begin with.

If one can lose his salvation means he never had it to begin with:

Then Gal 5:4 ".... ye are fallen from grace."

1 Tim 4:1 "...some shall depart from the faith,..."

Logically, how can one fall from grace if he was never in grace to begin with?

How can one depart from the faith, if he never had faith to begin with?

For one to fall off a house requires that he must first get upon the house. So for one to fall from grace/depart from the faith implies-requires-necessitates that he was once in grace and faith. So one can be in a saved position (in faith and grace), and fall from it. One cannot fall or depart from a position he was never in.

There are two sides of salvation:

1) Man's faithfulness to God
2) God's faithfulness to man

John 10:27,28

Man's faithfulness to God - "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

God's faithfulness to man: "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand"

I cannot just pick out the verses that speak of God faithfulness to man while ignoring verses that require mans' faithfulness to God. Christ's qualifies HIS sheep as those that hear and follow Him. Both verbs 'hear' and 'follow' are present tense, a sustained, ongoing hearing and following, a day to day life commitment and not one time or occasional hearing and following. So the reason "neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" is due to man's faithfulness to God in his hearing and following Christ and not eternal security.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Ernest T. Bass said:
Phil 1:5,6 "For your fellowship in the gospel from the first day until now; Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:"

---The confidence Paul had in God that God would perform that good work in those Philippian Christians was due to them remaining "in the gospel from the first day unto now". God works in those who are in and remain in His gospel word and if one falls away and does not remain in the gospel, God does no longer work in him. The Christian must remain in the gospel and overcome and remain faithful unto death, Rev 2:10,26

--any sin(s) a Christian commits but does not repent of, Lk 13:3,5; 1 Jn 1:7, then that sin(s) will keep him from being saved for no one will carry a single unremitted sin into heaven.

If one can lose his salvation means he never had it to begin with:

Then Gal 5:4 ".... ye are fallen from grace."

1 Tim 4:1 "...some shall depart from the faith,..."

Logically, how can one fall from grace if he was never in grace to begin with?

How can one depart from the faith, if he never had faith to begin with?

For one to fall off a house requires that he must first get upon the house. So for one to fall from grace/depart from the faith implies-requires-necessitates that he was once in grace and faith. So one can be in a saved position (in faith and grace), and fall from it. One cannot fall or depart from a position he was never in.

There are two sides of salvation:

1) Man's faithfulness to God
2) God's faithfulness to man

John 10:27,28

Man's faithfulness to God - "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:"

God's faithfulness to man: "And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand"

I cannot just pick out the verses that speak of God faithfulness to man while ignoring verses that require mans' faithfulness to God. Christ's qualifies HIS sheep as those that hear and follow Him. Both verbs 'hear' and 'follow' are present tense, a sustained, ongoing hearing and following, a day to day life commitment and not one time or occasional hearing and following. So the reason "neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand" is due to man's faithfulness to God in his hearing and following Christ and not eternal security.
Hi.

Agreed, the Shepherd does not lose His sheep and someone who continues in unrepentant sin is not His sheep. Whether he was a wolf in sheeps clothing or a sheep that transformed into a wolf, fact is the Shepherd will kick him out.

One who continues in venial sins is still capable of sincere repentance but not one who continues in mortal sins.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
[SIZE=16pt]TULIP[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]'TULIP' for:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'T' for Total Depravity of man ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'U' for Unconditional Election ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'L' for Limited Atonement ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'I' for Irresistible Grace ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'P' for Perseverance of the saints ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]In my opinion and experience TULIP spells Salvation. It is a help to understand the truth and reality of God's grace in one's personal life experience. Instead of TULIP, for example, a Roman Catholic will rub a wooden cross bracelet; and an Arminian would rub his knuckles. TULIP to me, has become a great consolation; in it I discovered how the grace of God operates, beginning with unregenerate man and ending with regenerate man,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]T: Unregenerate man --- Total depravity[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]U: God --- Unconditional election[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]L: Christ --- Limited atonement[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I: Holy Spirit --- Irresistible Grace[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]P: Regenerate man --- Perseverance of the saints.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I am a simple man and I love simple aids for, and in the faith. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The more earthy its soil the more glorious TULIP blooms. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The beauty of TULIP is like the beauty of the lilies of the field which Jesus compared with Solomon and his wisdom "in all his glory" --- what the wise cracks of human sovereignty and free will in all its glory of the fleshly mind.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]This is what I, do, by grace through faith, believe. [/SIZE]

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
GerhardEbersoehn said:
[SIZE=16pt]TULIP[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]'TULIP' for:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'T' for Total Depravity of man ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'U' for Unconditional Election ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'L' for Limited Atonement ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'I' for Irresistible Grace ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]'P' for Perseverance of the saints ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]In my opinion and experience TULIP spells Salvation. It is a help to understand the truth and reality of God's grace in one's personal life experience. Instead of TULIP, for example, a Roman Catholic will rub a wooden cross bracelet; and an Arminian would rub his knuckles. TULIP to me, has become a great consolation; in it I discovered how the grace of God operates, beginning with unregenerate man and ending with regenerate man,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]T: Unregenerate man --- Total depravity[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]U: God --- Unconditional election[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]L: Christ --- Limited atonement[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]I: Holy Spirit --- Irresistible Grace[/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]P: Regenerate man --- Perseverance of the saints.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]I am a simple man and I love simple aids for, and in the faith. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The more earthy its soil the more glorious TULIP blooms. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=16pt]The beauty of TULIP is like the beauty of the lilies of the field which Jesus compared with Solomon and his wisdom "in all his glory" --- what the wise cracks of human sovereignty and free will in all its glory of the fleshly mind.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=16pt]This is what I, do, by grace through faith, believe. [/SIZE]
But none of TULIP is found in the bible.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, all.

Once Saved, Always Saved (OSAS)
What is “being saved?” What does it mean to be “saved?” What does “salvation” mean? Well, this might be hard for many Christians to accept, but technically, it means “RESCUE!” Particularly, it means the “rescue of the Jews” when Yeshua` (Jesus) returns at His Second Coming or His Second Advent.

John 4:21-22
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.
KJV

We use a lot of terms to which we don’t know the meanings, especially the terms taken from Scripture and theology which have been applied for our own systems of theology and philosophy, pulling verses out of their Scriptural contexts at random, thinking that they apply to our concepts, when they really have little to do with them.
That being said, let me quickly add that what people call “being saved” is actually found in the Scriptures as “being justified by God.” It’s God’s “justification” of an individual. The concept is there; it’s just not technically called “being saved.” That is ENTIRELY Scriptural and is found both in Yeshua`s teachings and in several epistles. Furthermore, the concept is also known in the Tanakh (the Old Testament).
Now, regarding “salvation,” we have several New Testament Greek words to consider, foremost of which is “soozoo” (using an “oo” for omega to distinguish it from “o” for omicron).

So, from a definition point of view, can one be always saved when God saves an individual? YES! Once rescued or delivered from one’s enemies, always rescued or delivered from one’s enemies! When the Messiah Yeshua` returns and rescues or delivers His people, they will STAY THAT WAY; they will STAY RESCUED!

However, it’s not just a matter of trivial semantics. What one is really talking about when one upholds or denies “Once Saved Always Saved” is the matter of the justification by God. After substituting the correct terminology, is it also true that “once one is justified by God, one is always justified by God?”

Well, let’s think about this:
Who is doing the justification? If WE tried to justify ourselves, we’d be in a WORLD of hurt! Is God going to respect our pitiful excuses for our sins? I don’t think so. We minimize our sins and the effects they have on others in our lives. We blame drugs or alcohol for our actions. We blame others for our choices in sinning against God. We deny we’ve done anything wrong. We seldom own up to our own actions and seldom take responsibility for the sins we commit against God and others! No, God will not give much weight or credence to our sad attempts to defend ourselves for sinning against Him, a HOLY, PURE, PERFECT, and RIGHTEOUS GOD!

When one comes humbly to God and, recognizing the enormous debt one owes God for his or her sins and the depth of one’s own depravity, throws himself or herself on God’s mercy, it is only THEN that God will step in and do for that person what he or she cannot do for himself or herself. He justifies that person by declaring him or her “righteous” - in spite of their sins and sinful nature - through the Messiah Yeshua`s sacrifice and atoning for his or her sins.
Only if and when GOD justifies a person does that person receive forgiveness because His Son, Yeshua`, takes the punishment for one’s sins. Only THEN is that person truly justified. However, it’s at GOD’S discretion - HIS choice - whether He will justify an individual. However, God’s “track record” is pretty good for those who are truly repentant and come to Him in full humility, asking Him - BEGGING Him - to intervene on their behalf!

Luke 18:9-14
9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:

10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

KJV

Romans 3:20-26
20 Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God without (outside of) the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22 Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23 For all (both under the law and outside of the law) have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.
KJV

2 Corinthians 5:16-21
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation;
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation.
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
21 For he (God) hath made him (Christ) to be sin for us, who (Christ) knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him (Christ).
KJV

I also rather like the way that the NIV translates this same passage, although the KJV does a better job with verse 21:

2 Corinthians 5:16-21
16 So from now on we regard no one from a worldly point of view. Though we once regarded Christ in this way, we do so no longer. 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! 18 All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: 19 that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men's sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. 20 We are therefore Christ's ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ's behalf: Be reconciled to God. 21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
NIV

However, both translations use the words “reconciliation” and “reconciled” to translate “katallagees” and “katallaxantos/katallassoon” respectively.

These words don't just mean "to reconcile" but explain HOW man is reconciled to God:

NT:2643 katallagee (kat-al-lag-ay'); from NT:2644; exchange (figuratively, adjustment), i.e. restoration to (the divine) favor:
KJV - atonement, reconciliation (-ing).

NT:2644 katallassoo (kat-al-las'-so); from NT:2596 and NT:236; to change mutually, i.e. (figuratively) to compound a difference:
KJV - reconcile.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
These words are talking about exchanging places! Trading places! And, verse 21 explained what that trade was: Christ became OUR SIN, and we become GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS IN CHRIST at the moment we put our trust in God and realize that only He can make the difference in our lives.

For all our good intentions, we can't make a difference by trying to do good deeds anymore than a mud dauber wasp can repair a hole in a dike! We must come to the end of ourselves and realize that only GOD can make the difference. When HE steps in and declares us God's Righteousness, in spite of our sins, we stay that way!

Once saved always saved? It should really be once justified by God always justified by God. "OJBGAJBG."

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Retrobyter said:
Shalom, all.

Once Saved, Always Saved (OSAS)
What is “being saved?” What does it mean to be “saved?” What does “salvation” mean? Well, this might be hard for many Christians to accept, but technically, it means “RESCUE!” Particularly, it means the “rescue of the Jews” when Yeshua` (Jesus) returns at His Second Coming or His Second Advent.

Once saved always saved? It should really be once justified by God always justified by God. "OJBGAJBG."
Rom 5:1 one is justified by faith.

What if one justified by faith loses their faith by which they are justified by, 1 Tim 5:12 Heb 3:12, will they still remain justified in faithlessness/unbelief? Does God justify the unbeliever? No.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Ernest T. Bass.

Ernest T. Bass said:
Rom 5:1 one is justified by faith.

What if one justified by faith loses their faith by which they are justified by, 1 Tim 5:12 Heb 3:12, will they still remain justified in faithlessness/unbelief? Does God justify the unbeliever? No.
What is "faith?" Is it something one can gain and lose like a commodity? NO! It is TRUST! The Greek word is "pistis" and is all about the RELIANCE one has UPON GOD and HIS abilities! It's not an ability of our own! It's not our power to do anything; It's reliance on GOD'S power!

Psalm 9:8-10
8 And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.
9 The Lord also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.
10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, Lord, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.
KJV

Psalm 18:1-50
1 I will love thee, O LORD, my strength.
2 The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower.
3 I will call upon the LORD, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies.
4 The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid.
5 The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me.
6 In my distress I called upon the LORD, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.
7 Then the earth shook and trembled; the foundations also of the hills moved and were shaken, because he was wroth.

8 There went up a smoke out of his nostrils, and fire out of his mouth devoured: coals were kindled by it.
9 He bowed the heavens also, and came down: and darkness was under his feet.
10 And he rode upon a cherub, and did fly: yea, he did fly upon the wings of the wind.
11 He made darkness his secret place; his pavilion round about him were dark waters and thick clouds of the skies.
12 At the brightness that was before him his thick clouds passed, hail stones and coals of fire.
13 The LORD also thundered in the heavens, and the Highest gave his voice; hail stones and coals of fire.
14 Yea, he sent out his arrows, and scattered them; and he shot out lightnings, and discomfited them.
15 Then the channels of waters were seen, and the foundations of the world were discovered at thy rebuke, O LORD, at the blast of the breath of thy nostrils.
16 He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters.
17 He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.
18 They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the LORD was my stay.
19 He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me.
20 The LORD rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me.
21 For I have kept the ways of the LORD, and have not wickedly departed from my God.
22 For all his judgments were before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.
23 I was also upright before him, and I kept myself from mine iniquity.
24 Therefore hath the LORD recompensed me according to my righteousness, according to the cleanness of my hands in his eyesight.
25 With the merciful thou wilt shew thyself merciful; with an upright man thou wilt shew thyself upright;
26 With the pure thou wilt shew thyself pure; and with the froward thou wilt shew thyself froward.
27 For thou wilt save the afflicted people; but wilt bring down high looks.
28 For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness.
29 For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall.
30 As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.
31 For who is God save the LORD? or who is a rock save our God?
32 It is God that girdeth me with strength, and maketh my way perfect.
33 He maketh my feet like hinds' feet, and setteth me upon my high places.
34 He teacheth my hands to war, so that a bow of steel is broken by mine arms.
35 Thou hast also given me the shield of thy salvation: and thy right hand hath holden me up, and thy gentleness hath made me great.
36 Thou hast enlarged my steps under me, that my feet did not slip.
37 I have pursued mine enemies, and overtaken them: neither did I turn again till they were consumed.
38 I have wounded them that they were not able to rise: they are fallen under my feet.
39 For thou hast girded me with strength unto the battle: thou hast subdued under me those that rose up against me.
40 Thou hast also given me the necks of mine enemies; that I might destroy them that hate me.
41 They cried, but there was none to save them: even unto the LORD, but he answered them not.
42 Then did I beat them small as the dust before the wind: I did cast them out as the dirt in the streets.
43 Thou hast delivered me from the strivings of the people; and thou hast made me the head of the heathen: a people whom I have not known shall serve me.
44 As soon as they hear of me, they shall obey me: the strangers shall submit themselves unto me.
45 The strangers shall fade away, and be afraid out of their close places.
46 The LORD liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted.
47 It is God that avengeth me, and subdueth the people under me.
48 He delivereth me from mine enemies: yea, thou liftest me up above those that rise up against me: thou hast delivered me from the violent man.
49 Therefore will I give thanks unto thee, O LORD, among the heathen, and sing praises unto thy name.
50 Great deliverance giveth he to his king; and sheweth mercy to his anointed, to David, and to his seed for evermore.
KJV

Psalm 20:6-7
6 Now know I that the LORD saveth his anointed; he will hear him from his holy heaven with the saving strength of his right hand.
7 Some trust in chariots, and some in horses: but we will remember the name of the LORD our God.
KJV

Psalm 25:1-7
1 Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.
2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.
3 Yea, let none that wait on thee be ashamed: let them be ashamed which transgress without cause.
4 Shew me thy ways, O LORD; teach me thy paths.
5 Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day.
6 Remember, O LORD, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old.
7 Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O LORD.
KJV

Psalm 26:1
26 Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.
KJV

Psalm 28:7
7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him.
KJV

Psalm 31:1-5
1 In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust; let me never be ashamed: deliver me in thy righteousness.
2 Bow down thine ear to me; deliver me speedily: be thou my strong rock, for an house of defence to save me.
3 For thou art my rock and my fortress; therefore for thy name's sake lead me, and guide me.
4 Pull me out of the net that they have laid privily for me: for thou art my strength.
5 Into thine hand I commit my spirit: thou hast redeemed me, O LORD God of truth.
KJV

Psalm 34:4-8
4 I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
5 They looked unto him, and were lightened: and their faces were not ashamed.
6 This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him, and saved him out of all his troubles.
7 The angel of the LORD encampeth round about them that fear him, and delivereth them.
8 O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.
KJV

Psalm 34:22
22 The LORD redeemeth the soul of his servants: and none of them that trust in him shall be desolate.
KJV

Psalm 37:3-6
3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and verily thou shalt be fed.
4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.
5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
KJV

Psalm 40:4-5
4 Blessed is that man that maketh the LORD his trust, and respecteth not the proud, nor such as turn aside to lies.
5 Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us-ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them, they are more than can be numbered.
KJV

Psalm 44:4-8
4 Thou art my King, O God: command deliverances for Jacob.
5 Through thee will we push down our enemies: through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us.
6 For I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword save me.
7 But thou hast saved us from our enemies, and hast put them to shame that hated us.
8 In God we boast all the day long, and praise thy name for ever. Selah.
KJV

Psalm 56:3-4
3 What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee.
4 In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me.
KJV

Psalm 62:7-8
7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
KJV

Psalm 73:28
28 But it is good for me to draw near to God: I have put my trust in the LORD God, that I may declare all thy works.
KJV

Psalm 84:11-12
11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly.
12 O LORD of hosts, blessed is the man that trusteth in thee.
KJV

Psalm 91:1-7
1 He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.
3 Surely he shall deliver thee from the snare of the fowler, and from the noisome pestilence.
4 He shall cover thee with his feathers, and under his wings shalt thou trust: his truth shall be thy shield and buckler.
5 Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night; nor for the arrow that flieth by day;
6 Nor for the pestilence that walketh in darkness; nor for the destruction that wasteth at noonday.
7 A thousand shall fall at thy side, and ten thousand at thy right hand; but it shall not come nigh thee.
KJV

Psalm 144:1-2
144 Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
2 My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.
KJV

Proverbs 3:5-6
5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.
KJV

Proverbs 28:25-26
25 He that is of a proud heart stirreth up strife: but he that putteth his trust in the LORD shall be made fat.
26 He that trusteth in his own heart is a fool: but whoso walketh wisely, he shall be delivered.
KJV

Proverbs 30:5
5 Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
KJV

Isaiah 12:2
2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.
KJV

Isaiah 26:3-5
3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:
5 For he bringeth down them that dwell on high; the lofty city, he layeth it low; he layeth it low, even to the ground; he bringeth it even to the dust.
KJV

Isaiah 51:4-5
4 Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.
5 My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.
KJV

Nahum 1:7
7 The LORD is good, a strong hold in the day of trouble; and he knoweth them that trust in him.
KJV

Habakkuk 2:4
4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
KJV

Matthew 8:5-13
5 And when Jesus was entered into Capernaum, there came unto him a centurion, beseeching him,
6 And saying, Lord, my servant lieth at home sick of the palsy, grievously tormented.
7 And Jesus saith unto him, I will come and heal him.
8 The centurion answered and said, Lord, I am not worthy that thou shouldest come under my roof: but speak the word only, and my servant shall be healed.
9 For I am a man under authority, having soldiers under me: and I say to this man, Go, and he goeth; and to another, Come, and he cometh; and to my servant, Do this, and he doeth it.
10 When Jesus heard it, he marvelled, and said to them that followed, Verily I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no, not in Israel.
11 And I say unto you, That many shall come from the east and west, and shall sit down with Abraham, and Isaac, and Jacob, in the kingdom of heaven.
12 But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
13 And Jesus said unto the centurion, Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee. And his servant was healed in the selfsame hour.
KJV

Mark 11:22-26
22 And Jesus answering saith unto them, Have faith in God.
23 For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.
24 Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
25 And when ye stand praying, forgive, if ye have ought against any: that your Father also which is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.
26 But if ye do not forgive, neither will your Father which is in heaven forgive your trespasses.
KJV

Luke 17:5-10
5 And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith.
6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
KJV

Romans 1:16-21
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;
19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
KJV

Romans 4:5-9
5 But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.
6 Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7 Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8 Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.
9 Cometh this blessedness then upon the circumcision only, or upon the uncircumcision also? for we say that faith was reckoned to Abraham for righteousness.
KJV

Ephesians 2:8-10
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
KJV

And, the list could go on and on! Faith is simply putting our trust in YHWH, the GOD who has the power to get things done and who has our best interests at heart! It's not a power that we can wield!

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2013
I have encountered those who are using the argument of OSAS to defend relationships that are contrary to Scriptural directives. One person in particular on another website is arguing that since we are saved by faith alone none of us are declared righteous through our own actions, but rather through our putting our trust in Jesus' atoning sacrifice. So irregardless of what lifestyle we adopt, we will all be seen as sinners who have been saved solely through God's grace. So why not live lifestyles which are forbidden by Scripture?

The counter to that argument is that Scripture itself tells us that once we see Jesus Christ's sacrifice as beneficial, and so accept it into our lives, we find that we want to show our gratitude for what God has done on our behalf by accepting a lifestyle which accords with Scripture. And Scripture is quite clear as to which actions and motivations we are to shun, as well as which actions and motivations we are to embrace:

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

For each physical birth there are three main criteria which determine whether that birth is successful or not. If the newborn has a spontaneous heartbeat, can breathe independently, and has discernable brain activity, then the birth is seen as successful. Likewise, when a person claims to have been reborn there are criteria which determine whether that is truly the case. If his actions identify him as having a new nature (the fruit of the Spirit), then the rebirth has been genuine. However, if his actions identify him as still being led by his sinful nature (the acts of the sinful nature), then there is a problem. Either he has misunderstood what becoming a Christian entails, or he has paid lipservice to Christian teachings in the mistaken notion that by doing so he can provide for himself 'immunity from prosecution' for his actions, or he has paid lipservice to Christian teachings solely in order to 'get on the inside' and pervert those same teachings so as to make them serve his own agenda.

But St. Paul was quite clear in his warning that those who cling to the sinful nature (the acts of the sinful nature) rather than accepting the new nature (the fruit of the Spirit) will reap what they sow:

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galatians 6:7-10,NIV)

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
Retrobyter said:
Shalom, Ernest T. Bass.

What is "faith?" Is it something one can gain and lose like a commodity? NO! It is TRUST! The Greek word is "pistis" and is all about the RELIANCE one has UPON GOD and HIS abilities! It's not an ability of our own! It's not our power to do anything; It's reliance on GOD'S power!
People choose to have faith/belief by choice and they can also choose to quit believing by choice.... 1 Tim 5:12 Heb 3:12

BornAgain

Jan 15, 2014
USA
The false view of "once saved always saved" is always wrong and is not found in the bible. Galatians 5:4, You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law, you have fallen from grace. In Acts 2:37 the question is asked, "What must we do?" The answer is, repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins." When one dies in sin, you die in a lost state and that person is in a lost state.

Don't be mislead through the false idea of once saved, always saved...you cannot believe it or practice it (Rom 1:32). In 2 Pet 3:17, the bible says, "you therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error or the wicked." We can fall from grace.

In Col 2:8: "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Paul has warned us about these things because the idea of "once saved, always saved: is a false philosophy that is sending many souls to hell.

Retrobyter

Oct 29, 2011
Tampa Bay, Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shalom, Ernest T. Bass.

Ernest T. Bass said:
People choose to have faith/belief by choice and they can also choose to quit believing by choice.... 1 Tim 5:12 Heb 3:12
You keep using these verses; let's look at them:

1 Tim. 5:12 is found within this context:

1 Timothy 5:3-15
3 Give proper recognition to those widows who are really in need. 4 But if a widow has children or grandchildren, these should learn first of all to put their religion into practice by caring for their own family and so repaying their parents and grandparents, for this is pleasing to God. 5 The widow who is really in need and left all alone puts her hope in God and continues night and day to pray and to ask God for help. 6 But the widow who lives for pleasure is dead even while she lives. 7 Give the people these instructions, too, so that no one may be open to blame. 8 If anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for his immediate family, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
9 No widow may be put on the list of widows unless she is over sixty, has been faithful to her husband, 10 and is well known for her good deeds, such as bringing up children, showing hospitality, washing the feet of the saints, helping those in trouble and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.
11 As for younger widows, do not put them on such a list. For when "their sensual desires overcome their dedication to Christ," they want to marry. 12 Thus they bring judgment on themselves, because they have broken their first pledge. 13 Besides, they get into the habit of being idle and going about from house to house. And not only do they become idlers, but also gossips and busybodies, saying things they ought not to. 14 So I counsel younger widows to marry, to have children, to manage their homes and to give the enemy no opportunity for slander. 15 Some have in fact already turned away to follow Satan.
NIV

1 Timothy 5:3-15
3 Honour widows that are widows indeed.
4 But if any widow have children or nephews, let them (the children) learn first to shew piety at home, and to requite their parents: for that is good and acceptable before God.
5 Now she that is a widow indeed, and desolate, trusteth in God, and continueth in supplications and prayers night and day.
6 But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.
7 And these things give in charge, that they may be blameless.
8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel (an unbeliever).
9 Let not a widow be taken into the number under threescore (60) years old, having been the wife of one man,
10 Well reported of for good works; if she have brought up children, if she have lodged strangers, if she have washed the saints' feet, if she have relieved the afflicted, if she have diligently followed every good work.
11 But the younger widows refuse: for when "they have begun to wax wanton against Christ," they will marry;
12 Having damnation, because they have cast off their first faith.
13 And withal they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house; and not only idle, but tattlers also and busybodies, speaking things which they ought not.
14 I will therefore that the younger women marry, bear children, guide the house, give none occasion to the adversary to speak reproachfully.
15 For some are already turned aside after Satan.
KJV

There's a direct link between "faith" and "faithfulness." "Faith" is having "trust." "Faithfulness" is being "trustworthy." Verse 12 is more about these young widows being "trustworthy" than it is about them having "trust." The key is in the phrase used to translate a single Greek word in verse 11:

katastreeniasoosin, spelled kappa-alpha-tau-alpha-sigma-tau-rho-eta-iota-alpha-sigma-omega-sigma-iota-nu with the accent on the last alpha. It looks formidable, but it is easily broken down to smaller, easier-to-undertstand portions: First, it has the prefix preposition, "kata." This means "down." Then it has the root verb form "streeniaoo," which is defined in Strong's Greek Dictionary as...

NT:2691 katastreeniaoo (kat-as-tray-nee-ah'-o); from NT:2596 and NT:4763; to become voluptuous against:
KJV - begin to wax wanton against.

NT:2596 kata (kat-ah'); a primary particle; (prepositionally) down (in place or time), in varied relations (according to the case [genitive case, dative case or accusative case] with which it is joined):
KJV - about, according as (to), after, against, (when they were) alone, among, and, apart, (even, like) as (concerning, pertaining to touching), aside, at, before, beyond, by, to the charge of, [charita-] bly, concerning, covered, [daily-], down, every, (+far more) exceeding, more excellent, for, from ... to, godly, in (-asmuch, divers, every, -to, respect of), ... by, after the manner of, by any means, beyond (out of) measure, mightily, more, natural, of (up-) on (X part), out (of every), over against, (+your) own, particularly, so, through (-oughout, -oughout every), thus, (un-) to (-gether, -ward), uttermost, where (-by), with. In composition it retains many of these applications, and frequently denotes opposition, distribution, or intensity.

NT:4763 streeniaoo (stray-nee-ah'-o); from a presumed derivative of NT:4764; to be luxurious:
KJV - live deliciously.

NT:4764 streenos (stray'-nos); akin to NT:4731; a "straining", "strenuousness" or "strength", i.e. (figuratively) luxury (voluptuousness):
KJV - delicacy.

NT:4731 stereos (ster-eh-os'); from NT:2476; stiff, i.e. solid, stable (literally or figuratively):
KJV - stedfast, strong, sure.

NT:2476 histeemi (his'-tay-mee); a prolonged form of a primary staoo (stah'-o) (of the same meaning, and used for it in certain tenses); to stand (transitively or intransitively), used in various applications (literally or figuratively):
KJV - abide, appoint, bring, continue, covenant, establish, hold up, lay, present, set (up), stanch, stand (by, forth, still, up). Compare NT:5087.

(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright © 1994, 2003, 2006 Biblesoft, Inc. and International Bible Translators, Inc.)
Using various sources, the word translated as "damnation" and "judgment" above in verse 12 is the Greek word "krima" from which we get our words "crime" and "criminal."

NT:2917 krima (kree'-mah); from NT:2919; a decision (the function or the effect, for or against ["crime"]):
KJV - avenge, condemned, condemnation, damnation, go to law, judgment.

Thus, the word simply means the act of being judged, by either God or other men, or it can also mean the verdict of that judgment, a negative outcome or a positive outcome. One can assume a negative outcome in this passage, but not if the verdict has not yet been reached. Assume a neutral condition until the judgment has been rendered! Why do you think our forefathers in this country came to the conclusion that "a man is innocent until proven guilty?" It is our NATURAL instinct to jump to the conclusion of guilty without first hearing all the facts.

These young widows - young ladies who lost their husbands early (probably to persecution) - are being excluded from the number of widows who will be supported by the congregation because they are young and have their whole lives ahead of them (if they survive the persecutions and other calamities of life, that is). They can decide to remarry if the occasion presents itself, and that's not a bad thing. However, there were some who enjoyed the lifestyle with which they had grown accustomed to living when their husbands were alive, and there were some who took advantage of the good will of others after their husbands died and were growing accustomed to living "high on the hog" now that their husbands were gone. This self-indulgence was condemnable. So, the word "krina" is used here because they were individually being judged. They were in a precarious situation of life, and they could go either way: Were they going to remain celibate and committed to the cause of the Messiah or were they going to remarry? The "jury was still out!"

Therefore, this verse is not talking about one's trust in God for His justification at all! It was WRENCHED out of its context.

Now, let's look at the context of Hebrews 3:12:

Hebrews 3:1-19
1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.
5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.
7 Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice,
8 Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness:
9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.
13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.
14 For we are made partakers of Christ, if we hold the beginning of our confidence stedfast unto the end;
15 While it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts, as in the provocation.
16 For some, when they had heard, did provoke: howbeit not all that came out of Egypt by Moses.
17 But with whom was he grieved forty years? was it not with them that had sinned, whose carcases fell in the wilderness?
18 And to whom sware he that they should not enter into his rest, but to them that believed not?
19 So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.
KJV

To whom is the author of Hebrews talking? He is talking to the HEBREWS scattered among the nations. The word "Hebrew" refers to a "child of Isra'el WANDERER." So, when He uses the word "brethren" or "brothers" he may not necessarily be talking to believers; he may just be talking to fellow-Hebrews as LITERAL brothers (or at least cousins) within Isra'el. Looking at Hebrews 3:1, the verse gives the impression that He is talking to believers AMONG the general Diaspora, the Hebrews scattered among the nations. When he addresses his "HOLY brethren," then he is talking primarily to the believers among His brethren.

Secondly, the "thee's" and "thou's" of the KJV are singular while the "ye's" and "you's" are plural. It's important that one notes the word here in verse 12 is "you," stemming from the Greek word "humoon," both plural. The word "in" comes from NT:1722 which is "en." And, over half the time that the English word "among" is used in the translation, it comes from this word, "en" (118 times out of 205 instances of "among"), and that primarily when the object of the preposition is a plural noun or pronoun. The point is that this phrase could have been translated as "among you" (as "among you all").

This would render verse 12 as ...

12 Take heed, brethren, lest there be among you any evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God.

Just to confirm, here's the Greek:

12 Blepete, adelfoi, meepote estai en tini humoon kardia poneera apistias en too aposteenai apo Theou zoontos,
13 alla parakaleite heautous kath’ hekasteen heemeran, achris hou to Seemeron kaleitai, hina mee skleerunthee tis ex humoon apatee tees hamartias —

Thus, it was not one of THEM who turned to having an evil heart of unbelief, but one AMONG them who had an evil heart of unbelief. That's a minor difference with MAJOR significance!

Shalom, BornAgain.

BornAgain said:
The false view of "once saved always saved" is always wrong and is not found in the bible. Galatians 5:4, You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law, you have fallen from grace. In Acts 2:37 the question is asked, "What must we do?" The answer is, repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus for the remission of sins." When one dies in sin, you die in a lost state and that person is in a lost state.

Don't be mislead through the false idea of once saved, always saved...you cannot believe it or practice it (Rom 1:32). In 2 Pet 3:17, the bible says, "you therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error or the wicked." We can fall from grace.

In Col 2:8: "Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Paul has warned us about these things because the idea of "once saved, always saved: is a false philosophy that is sending many souls to hell.

It's wrong to say "once saved, always saved." Say rather "once justified by God, always justified by God." THEN, it makes sense! It's not about US; it's all about HIM!
Shalom Harry3142.

Harry3142 said:
I have encountered those who are using the argument of OSAS to defend relationships that are contrary to Scriptural directives. One person in particular on another website is arguing that since we are saved by faith alone none of us are declared righteous through our own actions, but rather through our putting our trust in Jesus' atoning sacrifice. So irregardless of what lifestyle we adopt, we will all be seen as sinners who have been saved solely through God's grace. So why not live lifestyles which are forbidden by Scripture?

The counter to that argument is that Scripture itself tells us that once we see Jesus Christ's sacrifice as beneficial, and so accept it into our lives, we find that we want to show our gratitude for what God has done on our behalf by accepting a lifestyle which accords with Scripture. And Scripture is quite clear as to which actions and motivations we are to shun, as well as which actions and motivations we are to embrace:

So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other. (Galatians 5:16-26,NIV)

For each physical birth there are three main criteria which determine whether that birth is successful or not. If the newborn has a spontaneous heartbeat, can breathe independently, and has discernable brain activity, then the birth is seen as successful. Likewise, when a person claims to have been reborn there are criteria which determine whether that is truly the case. If his actions identify him as having a new nature (the fruit of the Spirit), then the rebirth has been genuine. However, if his actions identify him as still being led by his sinful nature (the acts of the sinful nature), then there is a problem. Either he has misunderstood what becoming a Christian entails, or he has paid lipservice to Christian teachings in the mistaken notion that by doing so he can provide for himself 'immunity from prosecution' for his actions, or he has paid lipservice to Christian teachings solely in order to 'get on the inside' and pervert those same teachings so as to make them serve his own agenda.

But St. Paul was quite clear in his warning that those who cling to the sinful nature (the acts of the sinful nature) rather than accepting the new nature (the fruit of the Spirit) will reap what they sow:

Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows. The one who sows to please his sinful nature, from that nature will reap destruction; the one who sows to please the Spirit, from the Spirit will reap eternal life. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of believers. (Galatians 6:7-10,NIV)
Ah! But you see, once one is justified by God, one IS always justified by God! Paul knew this argument of which you speak and wrote about it several times:

Romans 3:3-8
3 What if some did not have faith? Will their lack of faith nullify God's faithfulness? 4 Not at all! Let God be true, and every man a liar. As it is written:

"So that you may be proved right when you speak
and prevail when you judge."

5 But if our unrighteousness brings out God's righteousness more clearly (by way of contrast), what shall we say? That God is unjust in bringing his wrath on us? (I am using a human argument.) 6 Certainly not! If that were so, how could God judge the world?

7 Someone might argue, "If my falsehood enhances God's truthfulness and so increases his glory, why am I still condemned as a sinner?" 8 Why not say — as we are being slanderously reported as saying and as some claim that we say — "Let us do evil that good may result"? Their condemnation is deserved.
NIV

Later, he argues...

Romans 6:1-23
1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.
5 If we have been united with him like this in his death, we will certainly also be united with him in his resurrection. 6 For we know that our old self was crucified with him so that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin— 7 because anyone who has died has been freed from sin.
8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we will also live with him. 9 For we know that since Christ was raised from the dead, he cannot die again; death no longer has mastery over him. 10 The death he died, he died to sin once for all; but the life he lives, he lives to God.
11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus. 12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires. 13 Do not offer the parts of your body to sin, as instruments of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God, as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer the parts of your body to him as instruments of righteousness. 14 For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.
19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
NIV

2 Corinthians 5:1-21
5 For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3 If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4 For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
5 Now he that hath wrought us for the selfsame thing is God, who also hath given unto us the earnest (down payment) of the Spirit.
6 Therefore we are always confident, knowing that, whilst we are at home in the body, we are absent from the Lord:
7 (For we walk by faith, not by sight:)
8 We are confident, I say, and willing rather to be absent from the body, and to be present with the Lord.
9 Wherefore we labour, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of him.
10 For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad.
11 Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your consciences.
12 For we commend not ourselves again unto you, but give you occasion to glory on our behalf, that ye may have somewhat to answer them which glory in appearance, and not in heart.
13 For whether we be beside ourselves, it is to God: or whether we be sober, it is for your cause.
14 For the love of Christ constraineth us; because we thus judge, that if one died for all, then were all dead:
15 And that he died for all, that they which live should not henceforth live unto themselves, but unto him which died for them, and rose again.
16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more.
17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
18 And all things are of God, who hath reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and hath given to us the ministry of reconciliation (trading places);
19 To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself (trading places with the world), not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation (the subject of trading places).
20 Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech (beg) you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God (trade places with God).
21 For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.
KJV

So, if Yeshua` the Messiah (Jesus the Christ) died for our sin, AS our sin, why would we want to sin any longer and heap more upon His head for which He had to die?! It would be like driving another stake into His hands or feet, like another thorn on the crown of thorns driven into His scalp! If our sins hurt Him upon the cross, then NO MORE SINNING!

Even John noted this truth in his epistle:

1 John 4:15-5:4
15 Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
16 And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
17 Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
19 We love him, because he first loved us.
20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
5:1 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
KJV

Even Yeshua` gave us this to consider:

Luke 17:6-10
6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you.
7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not. (I don't think so!)
10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.
KJV

Thus, we're not even "break even" slaves if we've only done what we were supposed to do! How could we possibly do more than expected? We CAN'T!!!

Look, we don't do righteous deeds to keep in good standing with God; that doesn't work! We do righteous deeds because He has done so much for us and we just want to do something for Him in return! We love Him because He first loved us! But, even our righteousnesses are as filthy rags, and we're not even good, "break-even" slaves, paying back in labor what we cost Him to purchase us! All we can do is what we're instructed to do, and we can't even do THAT right all the time! So, although one who is a child of God has the technical freedom "to do whatever he wants to do," one who truly loves God doesn't WANT to do "whatever he's free to do!"

Thank God that His love for us isn't performance based! He loves us UNCONDITIONALLY! And He accepts us as His dear children without expecting something in return!

Ephesians 1:3-12
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
4 According as he hath chosen us in him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before him in love:
5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
6 To the praise of the glory of his grace, wherein he hath made us accepted in the Beloved.
7 In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
8 Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
9 Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
10 That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
11 In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
12 That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ.
KJV

Now, children who are naughty are corrected and put in "time out" for a while, but God is dealing with us as His children when He disciplines us. He's not writing us out of His will! He disciplines us to make us better! He corrects us so that we might be correct!

Learn the difference between discipline and punishment.