The False vs True Gift Of Tongues

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

T

Tulipbee

I had 2 friends there, and they however they were not happy campers, and they are charismatic type people.

The Toronto Airport church became known for its congregants’ emotional outbursts and odd psychological displays. Pastor Arnott began focusing almost exclusively on “the party of the Holy Spirit.” Experiences were being held in higher esteem than Scripture. This was even too much for the extremely charismatic Vineyard Movement, which severed ties with their Toronto Airport church in 1995, prompting the name change to Toronto Airport Christian Fellowship.
Ah, the cosmic dance floor of theology, where charismatics are wiggling and jiggling like spiritual disco stars! Now, hold onto your sola scriptura hat, Scott, because we're about to expose some divine disco moves.

In the divine groove of Calvinism, we see the Toronto Blessing as a celestial disco ball spinning out of control. As Calvin once said (or maybe not, but let's roll with it), "Verily, the Holy Spirit's party is in the sacred pages, not in emotional outbursts!"

Institutes of the Religion, the Calvinist handbook, warns against elevating experiences above scripture. Calvin might quip, "Beware, for the party of the Holy Spirit doesn't need flashy lights – it's in the sovereign dance of predestination!"

Now, regarding those charismatic friends who weren't happy campers, Calvin would nod in approval. For as he wrote (or didn't, but humor me), "Those who seek emotional highs over sound doctrine are like ships without a rudder – tossed by every doctrinal wind."

And when it comes to the Vineyard Movement cutting ties, Calvin might smirk and say, "Even the vineyards know – too much emotional wine leads to theological hangovers!"

Now, let's turn our theological disco ball towards Arminianism, the cosmic dance partner of Calvinism. Arminius might say, "Free will is the cha-cha of salvation, not some predestined foxtrot!" But Calvin would retort, "Sovereignty leads the dance, and free will is just a twirl in the cosmic waltz."

As for the Papal system and the errors of Glossolalia, Calvin would likely quote his Institutes, saying, "Beware of the babble, for true worship is in the Word, not in unintelligible tongues or papal pronouncements!"

So, Scott, let's keep our theological dance moves in check, lest we find ourselves discoing in doctrinal discotheques. After all, in the cosmic dance of theology, it's Calvin's dance card that leads the way! #CalvinistComedy #TheologicalDisco

Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ah, the cosmic dance floor of theology, where charismatics are wiggling and jiggling like spiritual disco stars! Now, hold onto your sola scriptura hat, Scott, because we're about to expose some divine disco moves.

In the divine groove of Calvinism, we see the Toronto Blessing as a celestial disco ball spinning out of control. As Calvin once said (or maybe not, but let's roll with it), "Verily, the Holy Spirit's party is in the sacred pages, not in emotional outbursts!"

Institutes of the Religion, the Calvinist handbook, warns against elevating experiences above scripture. Calvin might quip, "Beware, for the party of the Holy Spirit doesn't need flashy lights – it's in the sovereign dance of predestination!"

Now, regarding those charismatic friends who weren't happy campers, Calvin would nod in approval. For as he wrote (or didn't, but humor me), "Those who seek emotional highs over sound doctrine are like ships without a rudder – tossed by every doctrinal wind."

And when it comes to the Vineyard Movement cutting ties, Calvin might smirk and say, "Even the vineyards know – too much emotional wine leads to theological hangovers!"

Now, let's turn our theological disco ball towards Arminianism, the cosmic dance partner of Calvinism. Arminius might say, "Free will is the cha-cha of salvation, not some predestined foxtrot!" But Calvin would retort, "Sovereignty leads the dance, and free will is just a twirl in the cosmic waltz."

As for the Papal system and the errors of Glossolalia, Calvin would likely quote his Institutes, saying, "Beware of the babble, for true worship is in the Word, not in unintelligible tongues or papal pronouncements!"

So, Scott, let's keep our theological dance moves in check, lest we find ourselves discoing in doctrinal discotheques. After all, in the cosmic dance of theology, it's Calvin's dance card that leads the way! #CalvinistComedy #TheologicalDisco
I was not always calvinist minded regarding scriptures. It is however the most logical reading of scripture, better at explaining everything we can know about our relationship to God. Many years ago, I stopped waffling and listening to doctrines contrary to what God says.

Personally I think a veil lays over the eyes of scripture deniers and disputers who follow their own fleshly minds about what they want their God to be like.

One example is delusion as in God sends delusions onto the unbelieving so that they believe the LIE, fully locking them into their deceptions. Seems out of character to the god many people believe in.
We cannot change them, but we can expose their errors as examples to others.

Isaiah 66:4
So will I choose their delusions, And bring their fears on them; Because, when I called, no one answered, When I spoke they did not hear; But they did evil before My eyes, And chose that in which I do not delight.”

Lamentations 2:14
Your prophets have seen for you False and deceptive visions; They have not uncovered your iniquity, To bring back your captives, But have envisioned for you false prophecies and delusions.

2 Thess 2
8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

T

Tulipbee

I was not always calvinist minded regarding scriptures. It is however the most logical reading of scripture, better at explaining everything we can know about our relationship to God. Many years ago, I stopped waffling and listening to doctrines contrary to what God says.

Personally I think a veil lays over the eyes of scripture deniers and disputers who follow their own fleshly minds about what they want their God to be like.

One example is delusion as in God sends delusions onto the unbelieving so that they believe the LIE, fully locking them into their deceptions. Seems out of character to the god many people believe in.
We cannot change them, but we can expose their errors as examples to others.

Isaiah 66:4
So will I choose their delusions, And bring their fears on them; Because, when I called, no one answered, When I spoke they did not hear; But they did evil before My eyes, And chose that in which I do not delight.”

Lamentations 2:14
Your prophets have seen for you False and deceptive visions; They have not uncovered your iniquity, To bring back your captives, But have envisioned for you false prophecies and delusions.

2 Thess 2
8 And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord will consume with the breath of His mouth and destroy with the brightness of His coming. 9 The coming of the lawless one is according to the working of Satan, with all power, signs, and lying wonders, 10 and with all unrighteous deception among those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth, that they might be saved. 11 And for this reason God will send them strong delusion, that they should believe the lie, 12 that they all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Ah, Scott, the theological dance continues! Your journey from waffling to the logical embrace of Calvinism is like a divine disco conversion. Let's boogie through the verses and expose the cosmic errors, shall we?
In the discotheque of divine doctrines, you've traded the cha-cha of uncertainty for the sovereign tango of predestination. Calvin would likely nod approvingly, saying, "Logical minds waltz with scripture, leaving no room for theological jitterbug."
Now, onto the veiled eyes of scripture deniers! Isaiah 66:4, a celestial spotlight on God choosing delusions. Calvin might quip, "Verily, those who deny the sovereign dance find themselves locked in the choreography of their own deceptions."
Lamentations 2:14, a warning against false visions. Calvin, with a sly smile, would caution, "Beware the false prophecies and deceptive visions, for in the cosmic dance, truth pirouettes with righteousness."
And behold, 2 Thessalonians 2, the lawless one and the strong delusion! Calvin might declare, "In the dance of unrighteous deception, God sends a disco ball of delusion upon those who reject the love of truth – a celestial judgment on the dance floor of unbelief!"
So, Scott, keep grooving to the Calvinistic beats, for in the theological disco, it's the doctrines of predestination that lead the dance! #CalvinistComedy #TheologicalDisco

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ah, Scott, the theological dance continues! Your journey from waffling to the logical embrace of Calvinism is like a divine disco conversion. Let's boogie through the verses and expose the cosmic errors, shall we?
In the discotheque of divine doctrines, you've traded the cha-cha of uncertainty for the sovereign tango of predestination. Calvin would likely nod approvingly, saying, "Logical minds waltz with scripture, leaving no room for theological jitterbug."
Now, onto the veiled eyes of scripture deniers! Isaiah 66:4, a celestial spotlight on God choosing delusions. Calvin might quip, "Verily, those who deny the sovereign dance find themselves locked in the choreography of their own deceptions."
Lamentations 2:14, a warning against false visions. Calvin, with a sly smile, would caution, "Beware the false prophecies and deceptive visions, for in the cosmic dance, truth pirouettes with righteousness."
And behold, 2 Thessalonians 2, the lawless one and the strong delusion! Calvin might declare, "In the dance of unrighteous deception, God sends a disco ball of delusion upon those who reject the love of truth – a celestial judgment on the dance floor of unbelief!"
So, Scott, keep grooving to the Calvinistic beats, for in the theological disco, it's the doctrines of predestination that lead the dance! #CalvinistComedy #TheologicalDisco
It does seem to me, that Calvinist haters prefer personal experience over scripture. They have this idea of God in mind and discount scripture saying it was for an early time of church growth when God predestined and elected people. They must think the NC changed from the first century AD. Someone actually told me that. They simply do not want to accept scriptures as written applies to them or our time, just some scriptures are ok with them. Others have no worthwhile meaning, especially if in conflict with their comprehension of God..

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was talking about a scientific fact, not whether it should be allowed or not.
Science starts with assumptions and moves to theories. Will science lead any man to the facts we really need? Not without God!
Christians live by faith, which for us needs to be the better way.
I have studied languages as well, but they are not equal to the heavenly gift God gave to me. Moving on now by faith in Jesus who is to be the finisher of our faith, is he not?

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have studied languages as well, but they are not equal to the heavenly gift God gave to me.
Yes it usually ends in this way - my experience overrules all.
Moving on now by faith in Jesus who is to be the finisher of our faith, is he not?
He says we should test everything. Did you read the link I gave of the tongue speaker who, in attempting to prove it though his historical studies and had to denounce it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes it usually ends in this way - my experience overrules all.
No, not my own self-motivated experience alone, but in accord with where the Holy Spirit would lead me...
He says we should test everything. Did you read the link I gave of the tongue speaker who, in attempting to prove it though his historical studies and had to denounce it.
I have been a tongue talker walking with God since 1976. [I grew up a devout Catholic until 1961.] I have been on Christian forums for nearly 25 years now meeting a great many people such as yourself with their studies, scientific and historical, supposedly covering all of bases. I have read what they wrote and what they presented. Believe me when I say there is indeed as Solomon wrote 3,000 years ago, Nothing new under the sun. I do not involve myself in many threads here because I have seen or read it all before.

I have tested myself before God as well as before men. I have studied the scriptures and talked with God on this very subject multiple times over the years. I have been changed on some points.

Daily I strive to surrender myself to God dropping to nothing in my supposed knowledge of Him and His Ways. I have in effect taken myself to the lowest room and only moved upward as God moved me upward. I continue to test myself and allow myself to be tested. This for me now for a long time has been my daily practice.

Do I still fall short? Without a doubt... especially when I have been tired or distracted, I have strayed, but my purpose to stay always on His side has not waivered. I may not be correct on every point of my beliefs, but I am on God's side and strive to remain there.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well obviously he had to denounce it, it was not part of his experience, which is common to all those who denounce it. They have no experience of it and belittle the experiences of those of us who are blessed with the gift. At best they believe we are deluded at worst liars.

Get this though - it is God himself through the Holy Spirit who gave us the gift and I'm pretty sure it grieves Him to hear it denounced so loudly by people, who not having had the wonderful experience, just choose to harass those who do.

Reactions: Triumph1300

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
meeting a great many people such as yourself with their studies, scientific and historical, supposedly covering all of bases.
Just to give some background, I was based in the Reformed church then was baptized in the Spirit as a second blessing after 17 years of following Christ, but not the baptism that has been touted since Azusa but the scriptural one going back to the early church fathers' teaching of Theosis, or entire sanctification, or holiness which produces the fruit of the Spirit which is vital before one starts talking about gifts. I find that nearly all of the teaching in tongue speaking circles are all about gifts with a little bit of holiness added on if any. This is not the blessing spoken about by the disciples of the Apostles which would concern me, nor did they bother speaking about languages which were already fading.

I don't fall short, Christ gives me the power to be fully and totally obedient to Him.
it was not part of his experience, which is common to all those who denounce it.
He was a tongue speaker.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just to give some background, I was based in the Reformed church then was baptized in the Spirit as a second blessing after 17 years of following Christ, but not the baptism that has been touted since Azusa but the scriptural one going back to the early church fathers' teaching of Theosis, or entire sanctification, or holiness which produces the fruit of the Spirit which is vital before one starts talking about gifts. I find that nearly all of the teaching in tongue speaking circles are all about gifts with a little bit of holiness added on if any. This is not the blessing spoken about by the disciples of the Apostles which would concern me, nor did they bother speaking about languages which were already fading.
Consider also the saying of not throwing out baby with the bath water.

I was with the Oneness, Jesus Only tongue talkers [UPC and a couple of other groups] for 11 years, but I left them finally in 1987, primarily because of their insistence that one must speak in tongues in order to finally be saved.

I was with one apparently better group from then until 2018 when my dear old pastor was pushed out and I went with him. I have joined with no other group and now considering my age and my health it is unlikely that I will. I will not however tempt God by making that an absolute.
I don't fall short, Christ gives me the power to be fully and totally obedient to Him.
Glory to God!

Reactions: Triumph1300
T

Tulipbee

It does seem to me, that Calvinist haters prefer personal experience over scripture. They have this idea of God in mind and discount scripture saying it was for an early time of church growth when God predestined and elected people. They must think the NC changed from the first century AD. Someone actually told me that. They simply do not want to accept scriptures as written applies to them or our time, just some scriptures are ok with them. Others have no worthwhile meaning, especially if in conflict with their comprehension of God..
Ah, Scott, the dance floor of theology, where Calvinist haters tango with personal experiences over scripture! Your observation is like a divine disco spotlight on the cosmic clash of doctrines. Let's shimmy through the errors and expose the cosmic dance moves, shall we?

In the discotheque of theological preferences, some discount scripture like outdated dance steps. Calvin might say, "Verily, the doctrines of predestination waltz through scripture, timeless and unchanging, for God's plan unfolds in the cosmic dance of divine wisdom."

Now, onto the notion that the New Covenant changed from the first century AD! Calvin might chuckle, "The NC, an eternal covenant, transcends earthly times, inviting believers to join the celestial dance of grace and election."

As for those who pick and choose scriptures, Calvin might quip, "Beware, for in the dance of cherry-picked verses, the choreography of truth must be embraced in its entirety – a theological foxtrot through the Word!"

So, Scott, keep grooving to the Calvinistic beats, for in the cosmic disco of theology, it's the doctrines of predestination that lead the dance, and scripture remains the timeless melody! #CalvinistComedy #TheologicalDisco

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Consider also the saying of not throwing out baby with the bath water.
Enlarge please. Exactly what is the baby? I have gotten to know two tongue speakers quite well, granted it is electronically not in the flesh but still... They are both in my estimation, quite psychologically ill, which they will most likely agree with, both suffering from severe anxiety and both with their lives in a mess, one on the point of his marriage splitting. And they will defend their tongue speaking and groaning in the spirit to the death. Neither can discuss theology much and both have obvious emotional difficulties.

Comparing them to myself, but not in a proud way as I am what I am through Christ alone, there is a stark difference both in the situations we are living in and the amount of abuse and environmental damage I have sustained during my life starting at the age of 10 months added to the amount of support they have . If only they could see but their minds are severely chained and they have no reasoning skills to speak of although they have above average intelligence.

I read recently that tongue speaking invited demons in and the ones you cannot cast out. I am starting to believe that.

I have joined with no other group and now considering my age and my health it is unlikely that I will. I will not however tempt God by making that an absolute.
I sympathize brother being elderly myself with a poor church scene around. One I was going to, refuses to turn the music down a little for us elders.

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
The gift is for a purpose just like all the others from the Holy Spirit and not just blabbing unintelligent with no understading, it had to be able to communicate the gospel not just nonsense noises.

Isaiah 66:18
For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.

Acts 2:4-8
And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
And there were dwelling at Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven.
Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?
And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

Acts 2:11
Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
These are the tongues of men, all the languages of mankind out there in the world. This tongue was imparted in the day of Pentecost, where the Apostles ministered the Gospel to all the foreigners out there in their own mother tongue.
1 Corinthians 14:23
If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?

The gift of tongues was the many languages that were there at the time of the different nations, so it was given for this purpose, and it has been distorted with the babbling many use today.
This the tongues of angels, imparted to the believers who gather in a congregation. They speak in communicating in the tongues of Heaven, between them and GOD, during service.

But they are also to pray for the gift of interpreting this tongue into the common language of the people. So that everyone there who hear and understand what they meant, as a result, every one there are edified.

If there is no interpretation, only the one who speak this tongue is edified. Therefore, such are to do it in silent, between them and GOD alone. While, the gift of prophesying the word of GOD in the tongues of men where every one understand is welcomed.

To verify, it is written, 'Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, ...................................................' (1Corinthians13:1)

Apparently, there are two types of tongues imparted to the believers/saints of the church.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are the tongues of men, all the languages of mankind out there in the world. This tongue was imparted in the day of Pentecost, where the Apostles ministered the Gospel to all the foreigners out there in their own mother tongue.

This the tongues of angels, imparted to the believers who gather in a congregation. They speak in communicating in the tongues of Heaven, between them and GOD, during service.

But they are also to pray for the gift of interpreting this tongue into the common language of the people. So that everyone there who hear and understand what they meant, as a result, every one there are edified.

If there is no interpretation, only the one who speak this tongue is edified. Therefore, such are to do it in silent, between them and GOD alone. While, the gift of prophesying the word of GOD in the tongues of men where every one understand is welcomed.

To verify, it is written, 'Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, ...................................................' (1Corinthians13:1)

Apparently, there are two types of tongues imparted to the believers/saints of the church.
But they dont know what they are saying, so they are not being edified to say the least, and if its a 'unclean spirit', its possession, and I've seen enough of that.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Enlarge please. Exactly what is the baby?
The baby would be all speaking in tongues. That which should be thrown out would be any false or misleading tongues. Keep that which of God and dispose of the rest. If one cannot tell the difference consider the tares and wheat here:
Mt 13:27So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares?
Mt 13:28He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up?
Mt 13:29But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them.
Mt 13:30Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

I have gotten to know two tongue speakers quite well, granted it is electronically not in the flesh but still... They are both in my estimation, quite psychologically ill, which they will most likely agree with, both suffering from severe anxiety and both with their lives in a mess, one on the point of his marriage splitting. And they will defend their tongue speaking and groaning in the spirit to the death. Neither can discuss theology much and both have obvious emotional difficulties.
What I have seen myself, especially in a couple of preachers on the platform is a spirit which needed to speak a little in tongues because he knew the audience expected it. It was this in part that caused me to finally separate myself from my last Pentecostal church in 1987.

But having said that I did not throw out the whole gift of God. I prayed about it and studied and learned to not pray in tongues in church settings because my gift was a prayer gift. It was and is a means of communicating with God and not a gift with a message for people with an interpretation for them.

Comparing them to myself, but not in a proud way as I am what I am through Christ alone, there is a stark difference both in the situations we are living in and the amount of abuse and environmental damage I have sustained during my life starting at the age of 10 months added to the amount of support they have . If only they could see but their minds are severely chained and they have no reasoning skills to speak of although they have above average intelligence.
I have seen people both tongue talkers and non-tongue talkers apparently having similar problems.
I read recently that tongue speaking invited demons in and the ones you cannot cast out. I am starting to believe that.
Any person who is not being led by the Holy Spirit rather than some other spirit may have that problem. Again, one needs to be certain that he is dealing with a demon before proceeding to cast it out.
I sympathize brother being elderly myself with a poor church scene around. One I was going to, refuses to turn the music down a little for us elders.
I have attended some church most of my life beginning as a Catholic. When I had to leave my last church home one in 2018, I started visited different assemblies tentatively looking for a new place... Then came 2020 with many church closings. Then came my bout with lung cancer. Now I am living with my daughter and I cannot drive for a while due to cataract surgeries on my eyes and severe winter weather. Hopefully come Spring things will improve. My youngest granddaughter [age 23] attends church periodically. I am hoping to go with her until I am able to do it alone. I do miss the personal fellowship as well as good preaching and teaching.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
But having said that I did not throw out the whole gift of God. I prayed about it and studied and learned to not pray in tongues in church settings because my gift was a prayer gift. It was and is a means of communicating with God and not a gift with a message for people with an interpretation for them.
Myself likewise @amadeus

Reactions: amadeus

Fred J

Nov 26, 2023
W.P.
Faith
Christian
Country
Malaysia
But they dont know what they are saying, so they are not being edified to say the least, and if its a 'unclean spirit', its possession, and I've seen enough of that.
Study, 1 Corinthians chapter 12 to chapter 14 about spiritual gifts, then make an assessment.

Even though they may utter the correct tongue of angels, but when there is no interpretation to what they utter, merely they are workers of iniquity/lawlessness.

Scripture is very clear, they are to pray for the gift of interpreting as well. If not they are to be silent, utter within themselves, between GOD and them.

Another point is, there should be allowed only two or three person at a time to utter the tongue of angels and interpret, and the rest take turns.

Hepzibah

Aug 13, 2012
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The baby would be all speaking in tongues. That which should be thrown out would be any false or misleading tongues. Keep that which of God and dispose of the rest. If one cannot tell the difference consider the tares and wheat here:
The true was the languages clearly spoken of in Acts 2:

7 And they were all amazed and marvelled, saying one to another, Behold, are not all these which speak Galilaeans?

8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?

9 Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judaea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia,

10 Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes,

11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.

12 And they were all amazed, and were in doubt, saying one to another, What meaneth this?

The false is that spoken to many cults and false religions in the form of incoherent babbling. If that is the one spoken by which measure can you think one is the real one?

I prayed about it and studied
God will often leave us in delusions till we learn things like humility.

Then came my bout with lung cancer. Now I am living with my daughter and I cannot drive for a while due to cataract surgeries on my eyes
I am sorry to hear that. I do hope you can recover some health and be able to get out in the warmer months. Maybe this time can benefit you as did my years out of the church scene so that I was able to discerne the false better.

1 Cor 12-14 tells me that communication with God is so very important, and time spent with Him, both speaking to Him or hearing Him speak part of the relationship. If one spent most of the time with a physical partner and gabbling, I don't see how that would help when both speak the same language. I can easily find words to praise God and worship Him and any problems in that area are due to the quality of the relationship which needs fixing and not confusing.

If we are one with Christ which is the real result of Spirit baptism, then communication is as smooth as silk and in our own language. However, the real meaning of Spirit baptism has been perverted and is not the one that was taught in the early church ie it meant holiness or entire sanctification.

Last edited:
T

Tulipbee

Study, 1 Corinthians chapter 12 to chapter 14 about spiritual gifts, then make an assessment.

Even though they may utter the correct tongue of angels, but when there is no interpretation to what they utter, merely they are workers of iniquity/lawlessness.

Scripture is very clear, they are to pray for the gift of interpreting as well. If not they are to be silent, utter within themselves, between GOD and them.

Another point is, there should be allowed only two or three person at a time to utter the tongue of angels and interpret, and the rest take turns.
Fred J, your contribution brings a thoughtful perspective to the discussion on speaking in tongues. Let's respond to Fred J's insights with acknowledgment and engagement.

"Thank you, Fred J, for directing attention to the scriptural guidance on spiritual gifts, particularly speaking in tongues, found in 1 Corinthians chapters 12 to 14. Your emphasis on the importance of interpretation aligns with the apostle Paul's teachings on edification and understanding within the community.

Your reminder of the need for those who speak in tongues to pray for the gift of interpretation reflects the scriptural call for order and clarity in the exercise of spiritual gifts. Indeed, the silence or private utterance between individuals and God, as you suggest, resonates with the emphasis on decency and orderliness.

Furthermore, your recommendation of allowing only two or three persons at a time to speak in tongues and interpret, with the rest taking turns, echoes the apostle Paul's instructions for maintaining order in the assembly.

As we navigate discussions on spiritual gifts, let us continue to draw insights from the Scriptures and seek to understand and apply them in a manner that promotes the edification and unity of the body of Christ. ✨ #SpiritualGifts"

Reactions: Fred J

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Fred J The first time I ever used my gift of tongues was shortly after I had hands laid on me and i was baptised in the Spirit.

I began to sing in tongues, a proper song - verse and chorus - and it repeated over and over, the words and the tune. It was wonderful. After a while and without even thinking I started to sing the same song in English - the interpretation. It turned out it was a personal prophecy for my life. I still sing it.

I still pray in tongues and sing in tongues but have never spoken in tongues in a gathering where an interpretation was required. However on forums such as this many people have attempted to tell me that the gift of tongues is no longer valid so I must somehow be spouting gibberish. I choose to tell them the truth, give my own personal testimony and forget about the negativity.