The founding fathers of modern-day Premillennialism were heretics.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a difference between tribulations, and the 'Great Tribulation' set for a certain period of time which had not yet ever been seen, but will occur in the future before the return of Christ.
  1. Mark 13:19
    For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be.
    In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
  2. Mark 13:24
    The Coming of the Son of Man
    “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;

• Revelation 7:9
    A Multitude from the Great Tribulation
    After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,
  • Revelation 7:14
    And I said to him, “Sir, you know.” So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a difference between tribulations, and the 'Great Tribulation' set for a certain period of time which had not yet ever been seen, but will occur in the future before the return of Christ.
  1. Mark 13:19
    For in those days there will be tribulation, such as has not been since the beginning of the creation which God created until this time, nor ever shall be.
  2. Mark 13:24
    The Coming of the Son of Man
    “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light;

• Revelation 7:9
    A Multitude from the Great Tribulation
    After these things I looked, and behold, a great multitude which no one could number, of all nations, tribes, peoples, and tongues, standing before the throne and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, with palm branches in their hands,
  • Revelation 7:14
    And I said to him, “Sir, you know.” So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.

According to who? When is this Great Tribulation and how long does it last?

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the world, the church will experience tribulations, but not experience tribulations come from God.
John 16:33
These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”

Who believes otherwise?

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The fact you even ask that question shows you do not believe the scriptures. Jesus refers to it, as does John in Revelation.

Jesus speaks of it again as something that is coming to the whole earth as a set period of time.
Revelation 3:10
Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul how do you interpret the scripture below?

1. "The Beast" When, Where, or How, has this been fulfilled?

2. Power given to him 42 months?

Revelation 13:1-5KJV
1 And I stood upon the sand of the sea, and saw a beast rise up out of the sea, having seven heads and ten horns, and upon his horns ten crowns, and upon his heads the name of blasphemy.
2 And the beast which I saw was like unto a leopard, and his feet were as the feet of a bear, and his mouth as the mouth of a lion: and the dragon gave him his power, and his seat, and great authority.
3 And I saw one of his heads as it were wounded to death; and his deadly wound was healed: and all the world wondered after the beast.
4 And they worshipped the dragon which gave power unto the beast: and they worshipped the beast, saying, Who is like unto the beast? who is able to make war with him?
5 And there was given unto him a mouth speaking great things and blasphemies; and power was given unto him to continue forty and two months.

Reactions: Scott Downey

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luke 21, the second coming of Christ.

25 “And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; 26 men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. 27 Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28 Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”

The Parable of the Fig Tree
29 Then He spoke to them a parable: “Look at the fig tree, and all the trees. 30 When they are already budding, you see and know for yourselves that summer is now near. 31 So you also, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. 32 Assuredly, I say to you, this generation will by no means pass away till all things take place. 33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

The Importance of Watching
34 “But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. 35 For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. 36 Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”

And the same referred to in Hebrews 9, the coming of our Lord is salvation from the present evil age in which we find ourselves. A salvation ready to be revealed on the Last DAY.

Hebrews 9
27 And as it is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment, 28 so Christ was offered once to bear the sins of many. To those who eagerly wait for Him
He will appear a second time, apart from sin, for salvation.

1 Peter 1
3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of the most inane answers I have seen written here! one thousand years= a thousand years! the one is implied! C'mon are you that desperate to keep your agenda alive?

Yes, that was silly. And yes, this guy is the most desperate guy I've ever seen on this subject! ;)

Well I have been pre-mil for over forty years now and have read dozen of eschatological books from many theological views, and I have yet to find one text that mentions Ps. 90 as a proof text for the millenial kingdom.

Actually, it's common for Amils to want to show how the number "1000" can be used in a symbolic sense. The hope is to prove that it *always* is used in the Bible, which of course flies in the face of legitimate interpretation. Words must be defined by their context, and not by "common use" alone.

Trying to determine that the "thousand" years in Rev 20 is symbolic because of its being used as a figure of speech elsewhere is using an interpretive fallacy. "Thousand" can be used symbolically in one place, and literally in another place. I'm with you--in Rev 20, the Millennium is used in a literal way in a real setting. It is not symbolic.

Reactions: Keraz

Truth7t7

Jan 2, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Millennium is used in a literal way in a real setting. It is not symbolic.
There is no "Literal" Kingdom on this earth or Mortal humans seen in Revelation 20:1-6, your claims that they are seen and "Literally" exist is a fabricated fairy tale of man, as Pinocchio's nose grows

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is one of the most inane answers I have seen written here! one thousand years= a thousand years! the one is implied! C'mon are you that desperate to keep your agenda alive?
Oh, so the following is referring to a literal one thousand generations then? According to your logic, it must be.

Deuteronomy 7:9 Know therefore that the Lord your God is God; he is the faithful God, keeping his covenant of love to a thousand generations of those who love him and keep his commandments.

So, God only keeps His covenant of love for one thousand generations and then His covenant expires? Tough luck to the 1001st generation, I guess, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: covenantee

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well as I learned in grammar school, this is an obvious comparative passage with the subject being Gods longsuffering and patience towards us! It is not a doctgrinal statement saying a day=1,000 years or vice versa! That little teeny tiny word "as" shows us it is a comparative term. No com[parative language is found in the six time 1,000 years occurs in Revelation.

See God is smarter than us. God created grammar and the rules of grammar and also gave us the ability to read. When God wanted to make a comparison, He knew we can be dumb as sheep (Which is why He called u9s sheep) so when He wanted to make a comparison (which is not meant as literal) He put comparative words in the sentence so that when following the rules of Grammar He created, we would know it is not literal!

also when something is to be understood as literal, He did not put comparative terms in the sentence. The only time this is broken is when the construct apart from comparative terms shows something is not to be taken literally. All this is learnbed in English grammar and in Greek and Hebrew grammar as well. these rules are universal AFAIK

I am sure there are som epre-mils who may hold that view. why don't you supply th ename of one seeing as you are making an accusation against pre-mils.. Proving your assertion would be a nice thing.

Once again , I know of no premils who hold this. so either support your generic accusation or recant of slander and lying.

Well as I said I know of no writer of premil doctrine who believes this, on this we can agree!

καυσούμενα
kausoumena

This is from 2 Peter 3 and simply means to burn with great heat. The level of destruction is supplied by adjectivers or adverbs. So you are incorrect.

The greek word you spelled is a form of kataklsymos which is only used of the flood of Noahs day.

Well I know not one who contends this absurdity- so it is just a red herring and strawman

and as soon as you cite one book which advances this crazy notion we can talk about it. But until then, it appears you are simply throwing out accusationsd to tarnsih your opponents in this debate to make your own argument look better.

Premils are so blinkered by what they have been taught that they cannot see the figurative import of a thousand in Scripture. To accept that would instantly blow their beliefs out of the water. 10, 100, 1,000 and 10,000 are often used as round figures in Scripture to describe greater truths. We do the same today.

The term "a thousand" is used in most languages in a general figurative sense to represent a large number or a large indefinite period. Certain common numbers are frequently used in Scripture as valuable symbols to represent particular divine truths or ideas; a thousand and ten thousand are two such numbers. They are employed as familiar figures to impress deep spiritual principles in a distinctly comprehendible and identifiable way. It is not necessarily the exact numerical size of the figure outlined that is important but the spiritual idea that it represents. In fact, English dictionaries recognize the indefinite nature of a thousand defining it variously as a very large number or a great number or amount. This use is very common in our daily language.

The phrase “a thousand” comes up a lot in every day conversation. For example: “a picture is worth a thousand words” is a familiar saying. This simply tells us that much can be gleaned from a still print. An image can be more revealing and more influential than a substantial amount of text.

Another well-known phrase that some use is: “A journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.” This suggests that the greatest of endeavors starts with the first move – a great undertaking must start somewhere.

We may in passing say: “I have a thousand things to do today.” However, the expression is no way intended to delineate an exact number, but rather a notion. It is simply a figure of speech.

Tourists are welcomed to Dublin airport, Ireland, by the popular Irish expression: “Welcome to the City of a Thousand Welcomes.” This is simply a figurative communication epitomizing the friendliness and hospitality of the place.

People also use ‘a thousand’ as a round figure or as a phrase to describe a general amount. If they had $1053 (literally pronounced one thousand and fifty-three dollars) it wouldn't be uncommon or unusual to say I had a thousand dollars. They would simply round it off to a familiar even number. This is where 10, 100, 1,000, and 10,000 are often used. These are not wooden numbers.

This figure is also used to describe a long indeterminate period of power and government. Hitler boasted that the Third Reich would last a thousand years. The Nazi Party used the terms Drittes Reich and Tausendjähriges Reich (Thousand-Year Reich) to describe the rule, power and vision of the Fascist kingdom. It wasn’t that Hitler limited his wicked dream to that period, but that it symbolically represented a long period of unparalleled supremacy.

Churchill also infamously said of the victory of the war, “if we fail, the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, ‘This was their finest hour’ (Churchill in his speech on June 18, 1940).

People often mistakenly concentrate upon the actual figure revealed rather than what that figure represents. One hundred and forty and four thousand on the other hand, whilst rarely used (being found only in the deeply symbolic book of Revelation), is similarly used, only in an increased manner to impress a number that is completely unfathomable by human capability. The figure of one hundred and forty and four thousand should be viewed in relation to the biblical use of a thousand representing vastness and 12 representing authority.

It is a fact that a thousand is used as much in Scripture to refer to approximate amounts as it is literal ones. The phrase “a thousand” is repeatedly used by the Holy Spirit to describe an indefinite figure/period. Like 10, 100 and 10,000, a thousand is commonly used as an even round figure to represent New Testament truths. Revelation 20, a chapter in the most symbolic book in the Bible, fits this pattern effortlessly. To obtain a broad understanding of the biblical usage of a thousand (even if for the sake of argument it meant 1,000) it is sensible to also study the number 10,000, as both are used in a similar figurative manner throughout Scripture. Involving both in the same study better illustrates the symbolic usage of the number 1,000. One soon discovers, the terms a thousand and ten thousand are employed many times in Scripture, in varying figurative senses, to describe large numbers or vast periods of time. The expressions are also commonly used to symbolically describe great pictures of immeasurable vastness. Notwithstanding, the term “one thousand” is only found once in Scripture in Isaiah 30:17.

Few objective onlookers will surely dispute that “a thousand” is very loosely interpreted in much of the Bible’s literature. It is only the blinkered who must disagree on this figurative statement.

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Premillennialism, is the belief that Jesus will return to Earth before the millennium, thousand year reign.

Rev 6
[1] And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.

Seems to me the Tribulation of God has begun...

So, @Paul Malcomson .... Can you identify the Scripture of when Jesus returns to earth?

Jesus said in Matthew 24:35-44: “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.”

Jesus says “Heaven and earth shall pass away" you say "no, that will not happen Jesus, i know better."

2 Peter 3:3-13: “there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of His coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”

Peter says “the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved," you say "no, that will not happen Peter, i know better."

Revelation 20:11-15 – 21:1-5: “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away (or departed). And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new.”

John says “I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away," you say "no, that will not happen John, I know better."

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fact you even ask that question shows you do not believe the scriptures. Jesus refers to it, as does John in Revelation.

Jesus speaks of it again as something that is coming to the whole earth as a set period of time.
Revelation 3:10
Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.

Stop avoiding. Answer the question, if you have nothing to hide.

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trying to determine that the "thousand" years in Rev 20 is symbolic because of its being used as a figure of speech elsewhere is using an interpretive fallacy.
No one is saying it has to be symbolic in Rev 20 because it's used symbolically elsewhere. The fact that it is used symbolically elsewhere shows that it CAN be used symbolically, which some Premils deny.

"Thousand" can be used symbolically in one place, and literally in another place.
Of course. Who has said otherwise?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said in Matthew 24:35-44: “Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away. But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only. But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.”

Jesus says “Heaven and earth shall pass away" you say "no, that will not happen Jesus, i know better."

2 Peter 3:3-13: “there shall come in the last days scoffers, walking after their own lusts, And saying, Where is the promise of His coming? for since the fathers fell asleep, all things continue as they were from the beginning of the creation. For this they willingly are ignorant of, that by the word of God the heavens were of old, and the earth standing out of the water and in the water: Whereby the world that then was, being overflowed with water, perished: But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men. But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness, Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat? Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.”

Peter says “the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up. Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved," you say "no, that will not happen Peter, i know better."

Revelation 20:11-15 – 21:1-5: “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away (or departed). And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new.”

John says “I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away," you say "no, that will not happen John, I know better."
Hey, you're an Amil and are taking those passages literally. That's not supposed to happen, is it?

Spiritual Israelite

Apr 13, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL. Years of debating with Premils shows them to be the spiritualists.
For sure. They also like to add a thousand years to places where it clearly doesn't belong such as in passages like 2 Peter 3:10-13, 1 Corinthians 15:22-24 and John 5:28-29 instead of taking the passages literally as they are written. Many Premils like to say they interpret scripture as it is written (i.e. literally). Well, except for passages like 2 Peter 3:10-13, 1 Corinthians 15:22-24, John 5:28-29 and many others, apparently.

Reactions: covenantee

WPM

May 10, 2022
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For sure. They also like to add a thousand years to places where it clearly doesn't belong such as in passages like 2 Peter 3:10-13, 1 Corinthians 15:22-24 and John 5:28-29 instead of taking the passages literally as they are written. Many Premils like to say they interpret scripture as it is written (i.e. literally). Well, except for passages like 2 Peter 3:10-13, 1 Corinthians 15:22-24, John 5:28-29 and many others, apparently.

Agreed!

Status
Not open for further replies.