• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we don't avoid lusting after women in our hearts so that we can go ahead and rape them.

And likewise, we don't avoid hating people without cause so we can go ahead and kill them.
That's because Christ's sacrifice is not a fulfillment of the laws of how we are to treat each other. We fulfill those. Albeit through the power of the Holy Spirit and change of heart that Christ's sacrifice won for us.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Time you realize the literal Sabbath Commandment is God-breathed.
And buy the buy: <'love your neighbor as yourself'> is not one of the Ten Commandments but applies to the Ten -- to all Ten, including the Fourth Commandment.
So you're imbecilically contradicting yourself that <As a literal command, sabbath keeping has nothing to do with 'love your neighbor as yourself'.
Now, see, GE, I wanna -like- this post (because it's good stuff) but you can't seem to resist including insults. Why?

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Furthermore, we can't expect to get away with refraining from spending too much time at our favorite hobby or paying too much attention to sports figures or Hollywood celebrities so that we can feel justified in literally worshipping idols made of gold, stone, and wood.
No one's going to argue with that, but that's not the argument anyway. The argument is you can worship God on any day at any time. The sabbath time table was an illustration of the appointed 'day' of Christ's appearing. And how the person who doesn't 'keep' the appointment dies.

We should come back to this connection you're making between worshiping God on the sabbath and worshiping idols.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But we're supposed to believe it's okay to make sure we find our spiritual rest in Jesus so that we can ignore the God-appointed weekly day of rest from our labors?
Yes, as far as it being absolutely required like 'do not steal' and 'do not covet' are absolutely required.

Just for the record, if I could find a church that congregated on the sabbath (the real one, not the Catholic fake substitute) but who understood it wasn't a legal requirement like 'do not have other gods before me' is, and didn't make every sermon about it, I'd attend it. I would be thrilled to worship God and meditate on and rejoice in his good work on our behalf through the Mosaic worship cycle. I mean they all point toward him, the reality that the observances point to.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a law never being changed or never being disposable was the definition of God never changing, then every male in the church would have to be circumcised. And we'd still be required to sacrifice various animals for sin.
Still conflating the ten commandments with statutes, ordinances, and judgments?
It seems your particular defense of the literal sabbath boils down to two main arguments. Both of which are easily dismissed.
Always easily dismissed, but never properly refuted. :D
Not sure what two arguments you're referring to, tho.
Right now, it seems like the main objection you have is quite singular. In fact, you've literally said as much:
What I resist is the thinking that the sabbath observance is equal to not murdering, or not coveting, etc.
And we are now in a volleyball game over this.
But this seems a bit contradictory:
I'm not trying to dissuade you from your convictions. I just want you to understand why there are people like me who do not feel compelled to keep various literal requirements of the law of Moses.
To which I replied:
I understand that there are many different reasons that people adopt their own set of beliefs. I just don't understand why folks are comfortable joining the Sabbath to what they call "the law of Moses," but not the other nine commandments.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still conflating the ten commandments with statutes, ordinances, and judgments?
The law is the law is the law, even though there is obviously different issues that the law addresses. The covenant of law was the 10 C's and everything that Moses wrote down that God spoke to him:

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Write down these words, for in accordance with these words I have made a covenant with you and with Israel." Moses was there with the Lord forty days and forty nights without eating bread or drinking water. And he wrote on the tablets the words of the covenant—the Ten Commandments. Exodus 34:27-28

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not sure what two arguments you're referring to, tho.
1) the literal sabbath law is a moral law because of it's proximity to other moral laws, and, 2) those laws have been dramatically segregated from all the other laws God spoke to Moses. Don't you agree that your argument basically hangs on these two fundamental arguments? Just as my argument hangs on at least two fundamental points: 1) It was a shadow of a reality, not the reality itself, and 2) the lawful requirement for sabbath rest has been forever fulfilled in Christ and the death of the flesh, therefore you don't have to keep a law to fulfill what is already done for you in God's eyes.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I resist is the thinking that the sabbath observance is equal to not murdering, or not coveting, etc.
And we are now in a volleyball game over this.
Even you recognize divisions of law. The mistake you're making is deciding the literal sabbath observance is, practically speaking, just like not murdering someone, or lying about someone, or coveting your neighbor's hot wife and collection of SUV's. Just because the literal sabbath observance is couched in a collection of moral laws doesn't make it one.

Now, the reality that the literal sabbath points to - the appointed time of rest God has established from your work of sin - that is indeed the fulfilment of his moral principles. But already I can hear you saying, "but keeping the literal sabbath IS the obedience of not sinning." But we know that's not what is meant when Paul refers to being obedient to the law. For here he talks about a person NOT KEEPING THE LAW, the law of circumcision, yet being heralded as an obedient law keeper!

"26If a man who is not circumcised keeps the requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be regarded as circumcision? 27The one who is physically uncircumcised yet keeps the law will condemn you who, even though you have the written code and circumcision, are a lawbreaker." Romans 2:26-27

See it? It is possible to not have to keep a particular law and it doesn't make you a law breaker, but there are laws that if don't keep do make you a law breaker. So, the precedent does exist. That has always been an interesting passage of scripture to me. A law breaker who isn't a law breaker. "Keeps the requirements of the law" (vs.26) does not have to mean the keeping of the outward worship requirements of the law as you contend.

Last edited:

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
No one's going to argue with that, but that's not the argument anyway. The argument is you can worship God on any day at any time. The sabbath time table was an illustration of the appointed 'day' of Christ's appearing. And how the person who doesn't 'keep' the appointment dies.

We should come back to this connection you're making between worshiping God on the sabbath and worshiping idols.

Barny Fife, don't ask me <Why?> again; this is why, once more, every time more.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Sabbaths’ Feast of Christ Home Assemblies Reformed Protestant Faith

To joy in the Fellowship of Christians persuaded by God of the sanctity of the Seventh Day Sabbath of the LORD your God for to be the Lord Jesus’ Day of Worship-Rest.

The urgency of Sabbaths’ celebration for the Christian Faith and Church, springs from the knowledge of the energy of God’s operation in the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. Ephesians 1:17-23.

The Sabbath, its engagement and enjoyment, are grounded in Divine Election and Predestination and realised in the “Gospel of God concerning His Son Jesus Christ our Lord”, whom God the Father “Declared the Son of God with Power according to the Spirit of Holiness by resurrection from the dead:— by Whom we have received Grace for the obedience of the Faith for His Name among all nations, among whom are ye also the called of Jesus Christ, to the end ye may be established and comforted by the mutual faith in the Gospel of His Son.” Romans 1:1...12.

Therefore we remember and celebrate “The Lord’s Day”, Sabbaths’ Eating and Drinking of the Lord’s Feast, holding to the Head Nourishment being ministered, growing with the growth of God, proclaiming Jesus Christ Raised from the dead. (Col2:12-19)

“Where two or three are gathered together
in My Name, there I am in the midst of them.”
We are not a ‘church’ – new, or, another!
We do not take money or favours!
We don’t have nor desire an ‘earthly tabernacle’ to worship!
We do not want ‘growth’ in numbers!
We do not ‘count the nation’ or record attendance!
We do not baptise!
We do not convert!
We are few, and will stay few.
We believe because God had given us faith first.
We love because God first loved us.
We love the Fellowship of Christ, and in Christ.
We love the Name of God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
We love the fear of God and His Word Proclaimed.
We love the pure Gospel of God’s free Grace.
We love the knowledge and increase in the knowledge of Christ.
We are not ashamed of, nor let ourselves be judged with regard to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (Ro1:16, Col2:16)

Therefore we remember and celebrate “The Lord’s Day” Sabbaths’ Eating and Drinking of the Lord’s Feast, holding to the Head, Nourishment being ministered, growing with the growth of God, proclaiming Jesus Christ Raised from the dead. (Col2:12-19)
“For this cause we do not cease to pray that ye might be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding.” (Col1:9)
‘Singing in our heart to the Lord’, we ‘sing with the spirit and with understanding’, ‘speaking to ourselves in Psalms’. (Col3:16, 1Cor14:15, Eph5:9,19)

We abhor self-righteousness or ‘legalism’.
We abhor self-satisfaction or complacency.
We abhor boasting or distinction of men.

Join in Sabbath’s Celebration and Fellowship through the study and proclamation of the Word ‘according to the Scriptures’...

Sola fides
Sola gratia
Solus Christus
Soli Deo Gloria
Sola Scriptura

… TULIP …
… OSAS …
“O that I may know HIM, and, the POWER OF HIS RESURRECTION” ---THEN I shall be a believer of the Sabbath, “the day the Seventh Day Sabbath-of-the-LORD GOD”. O Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner!

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I'm not convinced they exist.

They exist in their homes
Leviticus 23:3 It is the Sabbath OF THE LORD in your dwellings
Exodus 20:10 The Seventh Day within your gates
Deuteronomy 5:14 Thou thy son thy daughter thy servants, thy beasts thy stranger within thy gates
Exodus 16:9 Come near before the LORD ..29,30 Abide ye every man in his place .. so the People rested on the Seventh Day.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Of course Jesus is going to insist on the keeping of the law during the time of the law!

But notice the distinction he makes between 'weightier matters of the law' and not so weightier matters of the law. Once again, this is going back to the Isaiah 1:13 verse I shared earlier (and Matthew 5:23-24, and Romans 2:27). There are things in the law that matter, and some, not so much. But observant believers insist that's not true and that, actually, Mosaic worship is the greatest of all the commands because it is the embodiment of the first of the ten commandments. Just not true.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They exist in their homes
Leviticus 23:3 It is the Sabbath OF THE LORD in your dwellings
Exodus 20:10 The Seventh Day within your gates
Deuteronomy 5:14 Thou thy son thy daughter thy servants, thy beasts thy stranger within thy gates
Exodus 16:9 Come near before the LORD ..29,30 Abide ye every man in his place .. so the People rested on the Seventh Day.
So, there are sabbath day believers who don't say you have to observe the literal sabbath like one has to 'not murder' and 'not covet', etc.? Because that was the point I was making. I don't believe those kinds of sabbath day congregations exist. If one does, by me, I'll visit them and if all goes well I'll join them.