The Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Romans 5:1 explains the redemption; the salvation FROM Egypt experience. The second verse shows HOW we grow and remain in the salvation procured for us. We ALSO have been given access to His power by faith that KEEPS us in this salvation. It is an "ALSO"...after having been justified.

Those who rest on the first verse and think the 2nd is works are missing the gospel message. It's a two-step, not a one-step! :)

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
What kind of works are you talking? Fruits of the spirit or fruits of the flesh?

The Bible is very clear on many issues.... Grace is not of works of the flesh, we are sanctified by Jesus' offering once and for all... things like that.

Yes, grace is not of the works of the flesh. But it is FOR the works prepared in advance by the Father. We are empowered by grace for a reason.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Romans 5:1 explains the redemption; the salvation FROM Egypt experience. The second verse shows HOW we grow and remain in the salvation procured for us. We ALSO have been given access to His power by faith that KEEPS us in this salvation. It is an "ALSO"...after having been justified.

Those who rest on the first verse and think the 2nd is works are missing the gospel message. It's a two-step, not a one-step! :)
Very good Episkapos.... Now how does the second verse say we have access to this grace wherein we stand? BY FAITH! Not works. I've seen alot of people that are using this verse and particularly the word "stand" to state that our works mean something. They don't. Stand in faith, which is what the inward man does. The outward man can do nothing except remain in subjection to the inward man.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Or maybe I am being sent to prentis. My point is that we are saved by grace through faith and not of works. I don't have a "But if.." sentance after it that nullifies that clear point. What's prentis' point? Furthermore, what's yours?

Saved by grace through faith and not of works. Yes, but the meaning you put on this is not true. Grace is the power of God, which we have access to by faith, by which we stand. You use that very sentence to nullify the rest of what it says, that we are called for good works prepared in advance.

My point is we must continue and grow... But hey, don't look at me: Episkopos' post lays it out just right, and is spot on as to what I am saying here. ;)

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, grace is not of the works of the flesh. But it is FOR the works prepared in advance by the Father. We are empowered by grace for a reason.

See.... There's the "but if [it]..." I was talking about.

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
Very good Episkapos.... Now how does the second verse say we have access to this grace wherein we stand? BY FAITH! Not works. I've seen alot of people that are using this verse and particularly the word "stand" to state that our works mean something. They don't. Stand in faith, which is what the inward man does. The outward man can do nothing except remain in subjection to the inward man.

Faith also means faithfulness. Is it dead works to obey God because we believe him, or is it works of faith?

One cannot truly repent and truly have faith without following it with obedience.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
"The Gospel" = ANYTHING WHICH IS "GOOD NEWS! "

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc
See.... There's the "but if [it]..." I was talking about.

Well yes, there is a but if.

You take all the positive verses of the Bible, and say 'see, we're safe', but you push aside all the 'ifs'. IF you continue... IF you persevere...

God can indeed say 'it is finished', because he has done it, but now the ball is in our court.

By definition, but the gospel of Christ is only good news for the new man, to the old man it means curcifixion. ;)

After all, the false prophets are accused of saying 'peace, peace' when there is no peace.

Are we able to discern that the same pattern has come to pass today?

FHII, you hate the 'but ifs', but the word of God is full of them. We must not despise the chastisment and warnings of the Lord, lest we be illegitimate children.

Therefore consider the goodness and severity of God: on those who fell, severity; but toward you, goodness,[sup] [/sup]if you continue in His goodness. Otherwise you also will be cut off.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Saved by grace through faith and not of works. Yes, but the meaning you put on this is not true. Grace is the power of God, which we have access to by faith, by which we stand. You use that very sentence to nullify the rest of what it says, that we are called for good works prepared in advance.

My point is we must continue and grow... But hey, don't look at me: Episkopos' post lays it out just right, and is spot on as to what I am saying here. ;)

Grace is a free gift. Not one that must be paid for... Not by us, anyway.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
quoting...

"ByGrace", on 29 October 2011 - 10:45 AM, said:

quoting Prentis.
By definition, but the gospel of Christ is only good news for the new man, to the old man it means curcifixion. ;)

After all, the false prophets are accused of saying 'peace, peace' when there is no peace.

Are we able to discern that the same pattern has come to pass today?
=========================================================
Prentis I have to say I have never seen you with the lack of an answer! haha!
I must say " your good". I may not always agree with you, but I admire your zeal :D
Blessings...H

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Salvation is a free gift it is not by works...it is free. Sanctification is the process in which we as new believers must then travel to become more like Jesus. It is that simple. Ahhh the simplicity of Christ...Difficult for some to grasp because they believe that they must have to do more to earn it...But Jesus already did it on the cross... ;)

Shalom!

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation is a free gift it is not by works...it is free. Sanctification is the process in which we as new believers must travel to become more like Jesus. It is that simple. Ahhh the simplicity of Christ...Difficult for some to grasp because they believe that they must have to do more to earn it...But Jesus already did it on the cross... ;)

Shalom!
Huh? So which is it? Is it a process which we must travel to be more like Jesus? Or is it something Jesus did on the cross?

By the which will, we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

Hebrews 10:10

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Did you read between the lines???
Did it cost you anything to receive salvation? and after you were saved...Do you expect to remain the way you are? Maybe you are an alcoholic or a wife beater or a something else. Did Jesus remove all of your personal issues at salvation and now you are no-longer that way in your heart? :huh:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you read between the lines???
Did it cost you anything to receive salvation? and after you were saved...Do you expect to remain the way you are? Maybe you are an alcoholic or a wife beater or a something else. Did Jesus remove all of your personal issues at salvation and now you are no-longer that way in your heart? :huh:
No, he didn't remove all my personal issues. He didn't come to save or even clean up the flesh. Salvation didn't cost anything. It is a gift from God. Ephisians 2:8.

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Amen! :)

Salvation is a free gift it is not by works...it is free. Sanctification is the process in which we as new believers must then travel to become more like Jesus. It is that simple. Ahhh the simplicity of Christ...Difficult for some to grasp because they believe that they must have to do more to earn it...But Jesus already did it on the cross... ;)

Shalom!

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
FHII
my point :wub: once we repent and except the grace of God, WE MUST STRIVE WITH ALL WE HAVE and GROW in this grace, so that the wall we build will stand

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
FHII
my point :wub: once we repent and except the grace of God, WE MUST STRIVE WITH ALL WE HAVE and GROW in this grace, so that the wall we build will stand
Fine.... It still doesn't have anything to do with the flesh. Grow in faith, yes. But it has nothing to our flesh, and our fleshly actions are not evidence of our faith. We may have them, but they don't do anything for faith.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Fine.... It still doesn't have anything to do with the flesh. Grow in faith, yes. But it has nothing to our flesh, and our fleshly actions are not evidence of our faith. We may have them, but they don't do anything for faith.
Are you saying that we can live in sin and still be Christians?

gregg

Oct 16, 2009
arab
our fleshly actions are evidence of our faith.if i quit stealing that is evidence,if i'm not a drunkerd no more that is evidence of faith but if i continue in sin i have no evidence that i have decided to follow JESUS. :rolleyes: my works are putting my inward man in subjection to the word of GOD and it shows up in the outward man. B)

Reactions: Angelina