THE Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
he claims James was for Jews, and that doesn't apply to believers, i kid you not

anyone here know any Jews who read James bac?

Oh... not good. I remember that now...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll try and regroup and approach him from Paul's writings then.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What I see is that there are many that think they are saved because they do what religion says is following His commandments. As long as people place their belief (faith) in keeping commandment based on what was said in the 4 gospels and the first 7 chapters of Acts then they have not placed their faith in the work of Jesus on the cross. There are so many that think all they have to do is keep commandments to go to heaven. They have never been taught that Jesus has already made a salvation that saves sinners, the ungodly. They are not taught that it is only His work on the cross that saves and to be saved a person has to place their faith in what He did on the cross and not on what they do.

Ok, HR, scratch my previous answer. I forgot your position on James.

Let me try this instead: What do you say about Paul's teaching that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

tooldtocare

Jan 24, 2014
far side of the moon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

Any suggestions or comments is welcome whether pro or con.

Reactions: bbyrd009

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
1 Peter 3:21 states that the true salvific baptism is not about "removal of dirt from the body" as in a dunking or sprinkling of water.

If it were, then Paul would have spent much more of his ministry physically carrying out such a ritual or his work would have been for naught. 1 Corinthians 1:14-17

Holy Spirit baptism is by Faith. Luke 3:16

Reactions: H. Richard

H. Richard

Sep 16, 2015
Southeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, HR, scratch my previous answer. I forgot your position on James.

Let me try this instead: What do you say about Paul's teaching that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).

The children of God have God's righteousness imputed to them.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The children of God have God's righteousness imputed to them.

There is more than one kind of error in the above statement.

1. The righteousness of faith is NOT the same as the righteousness of God.

2. Imputing means to attribute. God can attribute righteousness to us by our faith....but it is OUR faith and OUR righteousness we are talking about here. God sees our faith and He declares us just...BY His righteous judgment.

3. We become the righteousness of God by putting on Christ. That righteousness is never ours. God decides where and when a person is made His ambassador so as to act for Him in His judgment.

So then the statement, to be truthful, should say...The children of God CAN become (potentially) the righteousness of God to the world. Just like we are called to be the light of the world. Put on the armour of light. Put on the New Man. These are exhortations to believers.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Peter 3:21 states that the true salvific baptism is not about "removal of dirt from the body" as in a dunking or sprinkling of water.

If it were, then Paul would have spent much more of his ministry physically carrying out such a ritual or his work would have been for naught. 1 Corinthians 1:14-17

Holy Spirit baptism is by Faith. Luke 3:16
The water is merely a point of contact and a means of confessing Jesus Christ through identifying with His death, burial, and resurrection. Water is definitely an element in the process since it is spoken of clearly in the previous verse (1 Peter 3:20). We are buried with Him in baptism and we are raised with Him through faith in the operation of God (Colossians 2:12-14).

Many people were actually baptized in Corinth (Acts of the Apostles 18:8 in response to 1 Corinthians 1:17). But as with Jesus (John 4:2), Paul let others do the work of performing the ritual of baptism.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what if they continue to walk in fornication, homosexuality, sexual uncleanness, idolatry, etc.?
The work of imputation is accomplished usually at the same time that they are made new creatures in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
As I see it, Jesus was not only preaching the bad things of old, he was also preaching redemption. One can be saved; just abide by His instructions, follow His commandments and peace will be your reward.

God’s Chosen People
I have a personal attachment to the Old Testament and the verses contained therein. This includes the verses where the Lord talked directly to the Israelite people. In this one-way discussion the Lord laid out directives (commandments) for them to follow and the blessing they would get if they followed His suggestions. I took these directives and compared them to historical events. Personally, I would like to see the Israeli people change their ways by embracing the stranger (Palestinian) and treat them as one of their own, just as the Lord instructed them to do. I truly believe this “example” would create a wave of peace across the middle east.

In closing I want the Israeli’s to embrace the Palestinians as one of their own, dismantle the illegal settlements and change the name of their country from “Israel” to “Palestine”.

I believe God is now judging them for the last time. If they do not ask God for forgiveness and repent for their past deeds; then all will be lost.

I need your help either by helping me or by correction my misguided view of them.

Any suggestions or comments is welcome whether pro or con.
i expect the nation of Israel is doing so, and i wouldn't expect the country to follow suit as it runs counter to their dynamic imo

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The work of imputation is accomplished usually at the same time that they are made new creatures in Christ (2 Corinthians 5:17).

Are you saying they can no longer sin in these ways after they have received the impartation?
Then they are not abiding in Christ and Christ may cut them off.

That would be my assessment, yes. It seems implied throughout the New Testament.

Reactions: friend of

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying they can no longer sin in these ways after they have received the impartation?

imputation, not impartation.

I know that there is much disagreement on the issue. Some say that verses like 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9, Jude 1:24, 1 John 2:10, 2 Peter 1:10, and 1 John 2:10 indicate that when a man truly becomes a new creature in Christ, he can no longer sin.

I take these verses to be speaking of a second benefit (2 Corinthians 1:15) and that a person can indeed be justified while having besetting sins in his or her life. However if truly born again, the Romans 7 Christian will be very unhappy in that Romans 7 state and will cry out to the Lord for deliverance (Romans 7:24-25); and therefore for many who are saved, entire sanctification is a strong probability at some point in their lives.

Last edited:

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
imputation, not impartation.

I know that there is much disagreement on the issue. Some say that verses like 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, Hebrews 10:14, 1 John 3:9, Jude 1:24, 1 John 2:10, 2 Peter 1:10, and 1 John 2:10 indicate that when a man truly becomes a new creature in Christ, he can no longer sin.

I take these verses to be speaking of a second benefit (2 Corinthians 1:15) and that a person can indeed be justified while having besetting sins in his or her life. However if truly born again, the Romans 7 Christian will be very unhappy in that Romans 7 state and will cry out to the Lord for deliverance (Romans 7:24-25); and therefore for many who are saved, entire sanctification is a strong probability at some point in their lives.

Ok, imputation.

Let's dissect 1 John 3:1-10 (1 John 3:9) then, since this passage appears to makes the most direct statement in favor of your position. I'll quote the whole passage so we have it in context:

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

Ok, now the "seed" in verse 9 is pivotal, since this is what gives birth to us as sons of God. What then is this seed in your opinion? The word, or the Spirit, or some combination of the two, or something else I haven't mentioned?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok, imputation.

Let's dissect 1 John 3:1-10 (1 John 3:9) then, since this passage appears to makes the most direct statement in favor of your position. I'll quote the whole passage so we have it in context:

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure. Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law. And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin. Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him. Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God. In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

Ok, now the "seed" in verse 9 is pivotal, since this is what gives birth to us as sons of God. What then is this seed in your opinion? The word, or the Spirit, or some combination of the two, or something else I haven't mentioned?
I believe it would be the word (Psalms 119:11) and the Holy Spirit by extension (John 6:63). But primarily the word (Luke 8:11).