The great harlot Rev 17, 18

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev_17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
Catholic church is the mother of all mens religions.
I see you've got your moronic anti-Catholicism working in overdrive again.

Your statement above is absolute nonsense to anybody who understands the religions of the world.
It might interest you to know that there are religions that are MUCH older than Christianity - so how can the Catholic Church be their "mother"??

Maybe you should take some time off of this board and do your homework . . .

Reactions: Marymog and Base12

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev_17:5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
Catholic church is the mother of all mens religions.

Why do you think He said,

Rev_18:4 And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues.
Rev 18:5 For her sins have reached unto heaven, and God hath remembered her iniquities.
Most reputable NON-Catholic scholars agree that the "Whore" of Babylon is not only NOT the Catholic Church as YOU ignorantly assert - but that it is apostate Jerusalem. Scripture backs this up more than ANY other idiotic, anti-Catholic theory.

1. She "sits on 7 HILLS" (Rev. 17:9)
- Vatican Hill is NOT one of the 7 hills of Rome:
Aventine Hill, Caelian Hill, Capitoline Hill, Esquiline Hill, Palatine Hill, Quirinal Hill, Viminal Hill
- Jerusalem DOES sit on 7 hills:
Mount Scopus, Mount Olivet, Mount of Corruption, Mount Ophel, original Mount Zion, New Mount Zion and Antonia Fortress hill.

2. She is called "The Great City" (Rev. 17:18)
- Jerusalem is called the "Great City" - “where also their Lord was crucified” (Rev. 11:8).

3. She is "Drunk on the blood of God's Holy people" (Rev 17:6)
- Not ONLY did Jerusalem kill the prophets (Matt. 23:37, Luke 13:34) - she persecuted the Early Church (Gal. 4:9, 2 Cor 11:23-26).

4. "Jerusalem is the "Faithful City"
- Isaiah 1:21 laments, "How the FAITHFUL CITY HAS BECOME A WHORE, she who was full of justice! Righteousness lodged in her, but now murderers."

Your blind hatred of Catholics is what makes you so ignorant.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rev 17:5
5 And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.
KJV

John in a vision saw a woman sitting upon a scarlet colored beast, having seven heads and ten horns.

Haters of the Roman Church like to say that's about the Catholic Church and a pope. It is not. It is about a certain "great city" at the end of this world. It is about the city of Jerusalem.

Rev 17:18
18 And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth.

KJV

Those kings is about the ten kings that manifest with the beast king for the end of this world, which we read about in the Revelation 17:8-13 verses. That also parallels what is written in Daniel 7 about the ten horns which represent ten kings, with a little horn coming up among them to subdue 3 of them.

We are also shown the "seven heads" represent "seven mountains", which are about regions of the earth (not seven hills around Rome). Rev.13:1-8 reveals the beast kingdom will involve power over ALL nations and peoples. The "woman" which is a "great city", NOT A RELIGION or SECT, represents the controlling city over the whole beast kingdom. That is Jerusalem.

Where do you think God will send His two witnesses for the end to prophesy against that beast? To its center of control, Jerusalem...

Rev 11:3-8
3 And I will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.
4 These are the two olive trees, and the two candlesticks standing before the God of the earth.
5 And if any man will hurt them, fire proceedeth out of their mouth, and devoureth their enemies: and if any man will hurt them, he must in this manner be killed.
6 These have power to shut heaven, that it rain not in the days of their prophecy: and have power over waters to turn them to blood, and to smite the earth with all plagues, as often as they will.

7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

8 And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt, where also our Lord was crucified.

KJV

Where's that beast going to ascend to? Verse 8 right there tells us, it's to Jerusalem where God's two witnesses will be testifying against the beast! Jerusalem is where Lord Jesus was crucified.

Why does God then call Jerusalem that descends from Heaven down to the earth in final the "great city"?

Rev 21:10
10 And he carried me away in the spirit to a great and high mountain, and shewed me that great city, the holy Jerusalem, descending out of heaven from God,

KJV

Just as with everyone Satan does in this world trying to mimic The Father and The Son, the devil is planning to setup the FAKE "great city" in earthly Jerusalem for the end of days just prior to Christ's return. THIS IS WHY Christ points to Jerusalem for the end as the BABYLON HARLOT, because that is where the Antichrist is coming to setup his FAKE kingdom over the entire earth.

Reactions: Base12

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So what is that great city? I guess more to point which city is the modern day Babylon? Who is Babylon the Great, Mother of Harlots mentioned in Revelation?
You need to distinguish between "Mystery Babylon" and "Babylon".

1. "Mystery Babylon" is clearly identified as Rome and the Roman Catholic Church headquartered in the Vatican in Rome. Revelation 17 shows that Mystery Babylon will be closely associated with "the Beast" (the Antichrist). But the pope (or papacy) has been falsely identified as the Antichrist for a very long time, starting with the Protestant Reformers.

2. Babylon is literally Babylon, which is in Iraq. It is present day Hillah, 85 kilometers from Baghdad, on the east bank of the Euphrates river. It would seem that it will have been restored before that prophecy is fulfilled. It is hard to imagine that this city will be a thriving city in the future, when it is presently in ruins.

3. Some mistakenly claim that Jerusalem is metaphorically called Babylon, but in fact it is called "Sodom and Egypt" in Revelation. Jerusalem is neither Mystery Babylon nor Babylon, but it will certainly be the headquarters of the future Antichrist, who will sit in the future temple at Jerusalem claiming that he is God.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Most reputable NON-Catholic scholars agree that the "Whore" of Babylon is not only NOT the Catholic Church as YOU ignorantly assert - but that it is apostate Jerusalem.
This is incorrect, and *reputable* scholars have a reputation for being untrustworthy in spiritual matters.

Jerusalem has NEVER reigned over the kings of the earth. But the Bible says: And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth... With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication. (Rev 17:18,2)

European history shows us that the pope and the papacy literally lorded it over the kings of the earth for at least a thousand years. Indeed those monarchs and emperors literally kissed the pope's toes. And they committed fornication with Mystery Babylon in that they literally accepted the pope as the Vicar of Christ on earth, and the Roman Catholic religion instead of Bible Christianity.

The spiritual *fornication* of the church of Rome since the time of Constantine was to incorporate the ideas of idolatrous paganism into Christianity. That too is record in the History of the Church by Philip Schaff.

Today apologists for the RCC try to deny all these historical facts. But they remain unchanged. The pope still has the title of Pontifex Maximus, which was transferred to him from the pagan high priest of Rome.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is incorrect, and *reputable* scholars have a reputation for being untrustworthy in spiritual matters.

Jerusalem has NEVER reigned over the kings of the earth. But the Bible says: And the woman which thou sawest is that great city, which reigneth over the kings of the earth... With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication. (Rev 17:18,2)

European history shows us that the pope and the papacy literally lorded it over the kings of the earth for at least a thousand years. Indeed those monarchs and emperors literally kissed the pope's toes. And they committed fornication with Mystery Babylon in that they literally accepted the pope as the Vicar of Christ on earth, and the Roman Catholic religion instead of Bible Christianity.

The spiritual *fornication* of the church of Rome since the time of Constantine was to incorporate the ideas of idolatrous paganism into Christianity. That too is record in the History of the Church by Philip Schaff.

Today apologists for the RCC try to deny all these historical facts. But they remain unchanged. The pope still has the title of Pontifex Maximus, which was transferred to him from the pagan high priest of Rome.
And blind hatred of the Catholic church doesn't cut the mustard when it comes to Biblical prophecy.
In fact - it doesn't even open the jar . . .

You have TOO much to to deal with here:
- Jesus wasn't crucified in the Vatican OR in Rome. He was crucified in Jerusalem.
- NEITHER the Vatican OR Rome is referred to a the "Great City" in Revelation. Jerusalem is.
- BOTH apostate Jerusalem AND the "Great City" are referred to as the "Whore" (Isa. 1:21, Rev. 17).
- The Vatican doesn't sit on 7 hills. Pagan Rome AND Jerusalem DO.
- The killing of God's "Holy ones" INCLUDES Catholics during the persecutions.

By MY count - that's FIVE strikes . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: Marymog

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I see you've got your moronic anti-Catholicism working in overdrive again.

Your statement above is absolute nonsense to anybody who understands the religions of the world.
It might interest you to know that there are religions that are MUCH older than Christianity - so how can the Catholic Church be their "mother"??
Can any love that what stands against Christ, one can only hope that one day you will see the light.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Most reputable NON-Catholic scholars agree that the "Whore" of Babylon is not only NOT the Catholic Church as YOU ignorantly assert - but that it is apostate Jerusalem. Scripture backs this up more than ANY other idiotic, anti-Catholic theory.
I am no scholar so am not counted among the "learned". Which I am sure will bring another tirade.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Can any love that what stands against Christ, one can only hope that one day you will see the light.
Thank you for yet another in a LONG list of "non-answers" to the question.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am no scholar so am not counted among the "learned". Which I am sure will bring another tirade.
Not at all - just do your homework before you create these moronic anti-Catholic threads.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Not at all - just do your homework before you create these moronic anti-Catholic threads.
You do realize BOL that Christianity is about Christ, not catholism, not SDA. not JW, its about Him , we are supposed to promote Him not mens religions,

Jesus came to,
Set the captives free
Cause the lame to walk
The blind to see
the deaf to hear

But all you do is send men to prison.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You do err, not knowing the scriptures...

Christ and His Church are one!

Peace be with you!
Yes His church not mens, err yes at least you know what is means. Do you think Christ could be a part of a religion that murdered His saints, you do seriously err.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You do realize BOL that Christianity is about Christ, not catholism, not SDA. not JW, its about Him , we are supposed to promote Him not mens religions,

Jesus came to,
Set the captives free
Cause the lame to walk
The blind to see
the deaf to hear

And your total confusion exists because of the fact that you don't understand what Christ's Church IS.

- The Church is the Body of Christ and He is the Head (1 Cor. 12:12-31, Eph. 4:3-6, Col. 1:8).
- Jesus is Truth itself (John 14:6). The Church is the Pillar and Foundation of Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
- Jesus promised His Church that the Holy Spirit would guide her to ALL Truth (John 16:12-15).
-
Jesus told the leaders of His Church that WHATEVER they bound or loosed on earth would ALSO be bound and loosed in Heaven (Matt. 16:18-19, Matt. 18:15-18, John 20:21-23).
- The Church is the FULLNESS of Christ (Eph. 1:22-23).
- Jesus identifies His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).

What the Church is NOT:
A "men's religion". it was founded by CHRIST (Matt. 16:18).

It's ALL right there in the Bible.
I suggest you read it . . .

Reactions: Philip James

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
And your total confusion exists because of the fact that you don't understand what Christ's Church IS.
Oh BOL you dont have a clue, if you knew you wouldnt be here promoting a lie. But keep going all you do is reveal the true nature of religion, and how it oposses God.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh BOL you dont have a clue, if you knew you wouldnt be here promoting a lie. But keep going all you do is reveal the true nature of religion, and how it oposses God.
TRANSLATION:
"I have NO valid response for your Biblical explanation of the importance Christ's Church - so a snarky comment will have to do."

that's what I thought . . .

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
TRANSLATION:
"I have NO valid response for your Biblical explanation of the importance Christ's Church - so a snarky comment will have to do."

that's what I thought . . .
Oh so you cant deny what I said is true, finally.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

Jesus came to,
Set the captives free
Cause the lame to walk
The blind to see
the deaf to hear

True Catholicism is part of Christianity, they are our brothers and sisters in Christ.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
True Catholicism is part of Christianity, they are our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Those who are in Christ, do you know who is and isnt. I certainly dont. Being in church does not make one a christian.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Those who are in Christ, do you know who is and isnt. I certainly dont. Being in church does not make one a christian.

That's why I said the word "true" just because someone wears a title, it doesn't mean they are what the title says.

Reactions: mjrhealth