The Great Historic Revivals and What Triggered Them

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree. The "Toronto Blessing" started as the spark of revival at the Toronto Airport Vineyard. I know several individuals who were saved through that ministry. But then it started to gain in wealth and power and became the Toronto Blessing which was full of many things that were bizarre and un-spiritual. There was less and less of Bible-truth and more and more fleshliness expressed. Many vibrant Christians quit going in disgust. Satan is a wily devil and knows human weakness well.

Yes! Be the Apple of His Eye! In time all tree's mature, and they begin to produce Fruit, of which we are able to determine weather the tree is Good, or Evil, We shall know them by their fruit!!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would agree. The "Toronto Blessing" started as the spark of revival at the Toronto Airport Vineyard. I know several individuals who were saved through that ministry. But then it started to gain in wealth and power and became the Toronto Blessing which was full of many things that were bizarre and un-spiritual. There was less and less of Bible-truth and more and more fleshliness expressed. Many vibrant Christians quit going in disgust. Satan is a wily devil and knows human weakness well.
Thank you for speaking truth and facts about the Toronto Blessing. Sadly, some other people here don't seem to have the brain-power to understand such happenings.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The best evidence for the truth of Christianity is not the testimonial evidence for Gospel miracles or Jesus' resurrection; it is the supernatural move of the Spirit is the great historic revivals. .

Sorry but you are wrong. he best evidence for Christianity is found in two areas.
1. in the historical accuracy of the bible, especialy in the death and resurrection of Jesus.
2. in the lives of Christians.

The spirit is not always moving powerfuylly in communities, but he is moving in peoples lives changing them and enpowering them.
We always have the evidence of history and of the bible.
These are all very hard for skeptics to dismiss.

Something else that is hard for the skeptic to dismiss is the account of an atheist traveling in Africa.
Look out for Matthew Parish's 'Why Africa needs Christianity'
link here, if it works.
As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God

He is an atheist and he can see the difference Christianity makes.

Berserk

Apr 13, 2019
Colville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are there any examples of this same sort of "revival" in the Bible?
Excellent question! Acts 2 and 4 provide the closest NT parallel to the modern historic revivals described in this thread's videos:

"So those who welcomed his [Peter's] message were baptized, and that day about 3,000 people were added (2:41)."
"They praised God and had the goodwill of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved (2:47)."
When they had prayed, the place where they were gathered was shaken, and they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the Word of God with boldness (4:31)."

Peter's Pentecost sermon produces 3,000 converts and for an extended period new conversions are made daily. The energy and power of the Spirit are so palpable that their worship centers vibrate and healing miracles occur. But should the earliest phase of the church be considered a "revival" in the same sense as the First and Second Great Awakenings and the Welsh and Hebrides Revivals? That depends on how one defines "revival." I would not grant the earliest phase of conversions that same status as these later revivals because these later ones produced far more conversions over several years and the presence of the Spirit was palpable to almost everyone in whole regions over a long period of time. By contrast, the earliest church quickly suffered the backlash of sustained persecution. So I view these modern revivals as the best example of the fulfillment of Jesus' promise in John 16:7: "Very truly I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these because I am going to my Father."

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the great revivals is found under Hezekiah in 2 Chron 30:6-12 the temple was cleaned, worship willingly restored and messenger/evangelists sent throughout the land and people came to worship.
Marks to watchout for:- humility, willingness to worship, joy and harmony in the community. That doesn't include the hostility that arises to any Christian work.