The Half-Gospel.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just bury that talent. Don't serve God whatever you do.
Is it that you think people won't serve God unless they believe their eternal life depends on it?

Do you not know about the walk in Christ where, because we've been recreated, we live a new way, because Jesus lives in us?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was going to point out to him that it's not just the obvious ones like Moses, Joshua and Caleb either. The text actually reads:

6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. 8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand...

The some here is to be taken in context as a minority, because had they all been engaging in these sins, all of them would have come under the same judgments. But only those who worshipped the golden calf died. Only those among the 23,000 died. Only those who were destroyed by serpents, and only those who murmured against God.

Also, the statement, Wherefore let him that thinks he stands take heed lest he fall, becomes extremely odd in this context if it does not refer to "falling" in the same way as the Israelites did in the wilderness. It breaks with context so blatantly as to render the whole passage a reach on Paul's part, discrediting the entire teaching as if he were just going overboard in trying to scare people.
How many of them were approved to enter the promised land?

Did they, as a whole, offer sacrifices to God according to the Law they had just been given? Did they in faith keep that law? Or no?

Hebrews 3
9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How many of them were approved to enter the promised land?

Did they, as a whole, offer sacrifices to God according to the Law they had just been given? Did they in faith keep that law? Or no?

Hebrews 3
9 When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years.
10 Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways.
11 So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)

Much love!

Hey, bud. Does Post #80 answer this, or no? You may not have seen it yet when you wrote this.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Assuming that because they did not enter the promised land means they were unsaved is in error, Enoch. Moses didn't enter in either, so by this supposition Moses must not have been saved either.

OK . . . we'll give you Moses. Joshua and Caleb.

But Hebrews 3, God calls out that entire generation.

Then there is Stephen,

Acts 7
40 Saying unto Aaron, Make us gods to go before us: for as for this Moses, which brought us out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.
41 And they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands.
42 Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven; as it is written in the book of the prophets, O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices by the space of forty years in the wilderness?
43 Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon.

Psalm 81
10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
13 Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!

Ok. Here it is:
Make Him not only Savior but Lord. Do that, and you're in.

How do you "make Jesus your savior" without Him being your Lord?

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK . . . we'll give you Moses. Joshua and Caleb.

But Hebrews 3, God calls out that entire generation.

Then there is Stephen,

Acts 7
40 Saying unto Aaron, Make us gods to go before us: for as for this Moses, which brought us out of the land of Egypt, we wot not what is become of him.
41 And they made a calf in those days, and offered sacrifice unto the idol, and rejoiced in the works of their own hands.
42 Then God turned, and gave them up to worship the host of heaven; as it is written in the book of the prophets, O ye house of Israel, have ye offered to me slain beasts and sacrifices by the space of forty years in the wilderness?
43 Yea, ye took up the tabernacle of Moloch, and the star of your god Remphan, figures which ye made to worship them: and I will carry you away beyond Babylon.

Psalm 81
10 I am the LORD thy God, which brought thee out of the land of Egypt: open thy mouth wide, and I will fill it.
11 But my people would not hearken to my voice; and Israel would none of me.
12 So I gave them up unto their own hearts' lust: and they walked in their own counsels.
13 Oh that my people had hearkened unto me, and Israel had walked in my ways!

Post #77.

Much love!

By saying, "Thank you, Lord, for forgiving my sins," and then go out and refuse to forgive someone who sins against you.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider these:

There was woman with several husbands guilty of adultery who was saved from being stoned to death.

"When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." John 8:10-11

And then there was the impotent cripple unable to walk for 38 years was saved from his disabling condition.

"And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." John 5:13-14

They were both saved, from their afflictions, from their horrendous states, by Jesus, but for Jesus to be their Lord they needed then to obey him!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Consider these:

There was woman with several husbands guilty of adultery who was saved from being stoned to death.

"When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?
She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more." John 8:10-11

And then there was the impotent cripple unable to walk for 38 years was saved from his disabling condition.

"And he that was healed wist not who it was: for Jesus had conveyed himself away, a multitude being in that place.
Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee." John 5:13-14

They were both saved, from their afflictions, from their horrendous states, by Jesus, but for Jesus to be their Lord they needed then to obey him!

There is being saved from capital punishment. There is being saved from disease and affliction.

Rather, I'm speaking of being saved from sin and death, and being reborn to new life in Christ.

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Post #77.

By saying, "Thank you, Lord, for forgiving my sins," and then go out and refuse to forgive someone who sins against you.
But I'm saying, if you aren't planning to obey Jesus, then what are you doing thinking you are becoming a Christian? (general "you")

Of course, it's generally recognized that our obedience will be imperfect, just the same . . .

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was going to point out to him that it's not just the obvious ones like Moses, Joshua and Caleb either. The text actually reads:

6 Now these things were our examples, to the intent we should not lust after evil things, as they also lusted. 7 Neither be ye idolaters, as were some of them; as it is written, The people sat down to eat and drink, and rose up to play. 8 Neither let us commit fornication, as some of them committed, and fell in one day three and twenty thousand...

The some here is to be taken in context as a minority, because had they all been engaging in these sins, all of them would have come under the same judgments. But only those who worshipped the golden calf died. Only those among the 23,000 died. Only those who were destroyed by serpents, and only those who murmured against God.

Also, the statement, Wherefore let him that thinks he stands take heed lest he fall, becomes extremely odd in this context if it does not refer to "falling" in the same way as the Israelites did in the wilderness. It breaks with context so blatantly as to render the whole passage a reach on Paul's part, discrediting the entire teaching as if he were just going overboard in trying to scare people.

Some on that day, some on another day, some of them just died of old age. But because one place gives a partial listing, that doesn't mean that's all there was, when we have other passages that do tell us the extent.

Much love!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is being saved from capital punishment. There is being saved from disease and affliction.

Rather, I'm speaking of being saved from sin and death, and being reborn to new life in Christ.

If you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you shall be saved.

Much love!
You don't believe there are types and shadow also in the NT? You should reconsider on that. Doing so might interfere with what you believe, but sometimes putting on restrictions on like that could limit God's ability to increase where we are. Which one of us knows all that God has for us to know?

Reactions: mjrhealth

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't believe there are types and shadow also in the NT?
I'm sorry, why would you say that?

Just the same, if we define one thing by something else when it already has it's own meaning, then are we really getting closer to the truth?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You don't believe there are types and shadow also in the NT?
Neither do I condemn thee, go and sin no more.

Jesus released her from condemnation, and then instucted her to not sin anymore.

That works for me. We are released from condemnation, and we are told to not sin anymore.

The man paralysed . . . don't sin anymore lest something worse happen to you . . .

Despise not the chastening of the Lord . . . though grievous . . .

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doing so might interfere with what you believe, but sometimes putting on restrictions on like that could limit God's ability to increase where we are.
You sound like you think I'm reluctant to learn or grow.

Sigh!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Assuming that because they did not enter the promised land means they were unsaved is in error, Enoch. Moses didn't enter in either, so by this supposition Moses must not have been saved either.
You and I know this is total BS. Admit that you are way off track and get back on track.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But I'm saying, if you aren't planning to obey Jesus, then what are you doing thinking you are becoming a Christian? (general "you")

Of course, it's generally recognized that our obedience will be imperfect, just the same . . .

Much love!

Well, many do make a quality decision, yes. But not all who set off down the path truly count the cost (Luke 14:31; Mark 4:14-19).

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, many do make a quality decision, yes. But not all who set off down the path truly count the cost (Luke 14:31; Mark 4:14-19).
What's a "quality decision"? Not all who walk the aisle receive Jesus.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You and I know this is total BS. Admit that you are way off track and get back on track.

Actually, I think you and I are totally passing each other going in opposite directions, atm, because I can't even make out what you are saying. What part is BS, that Moses wasn't saved? I agree. That's the point I was making. Just as it would be false, so is the notion that only three Israelites out an estimated 2,000,000 were ever saved.

But wherever the track was, I'll search for it. I don't even remember now.

God bless, and hope you have a great afternoon regardless.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's a "quality decision"? Not all who walk the aisle receive Jesus.

Much love!

Ugh... I'm too tired for this today, Lol.

A quality decision in light of Luke 14:31 would be Luke 14:33. A quality decision in light of Mark 4:14 would be Mark 4:20.

My apologies. Just not myself today.

Wish you the best.