The Holy Spirit ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are 179 posts here...I don't think this has been brought up...does anyone know why the Holy Spirit has been represented by a dove?
I know how I heard it explained.
But first, anyone? Thanks ☺
GINOLJC, to me the dove represent the NEW CREATION of God in Man. just as the Dove in Noah day, when the flood waters receded an olive leaf, (the symbol of Peace, here between God and man) was found. so is Found, after the over flowing of water, in death, of baptism, is found the one whom will bring peace between God and man in the next or new created world to come. peace only come after a price, (and that price is sin, which was paid in full by God himself, in flesh).

this is what I see the Dove as.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

Reactions: Miss Hepburn

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to me the dove represent the NEW CREATION of God in Man. just as the Dove in Noah day, when the flood waters receded an olive leaf, (the symbol of Peace, here between God and man) was found. so is Found, after the over flowing of water, in death, of baptism, is found the one whom will bring peace between God and man in the next or new created world to come. peace only come after a price, (and that price is sin, which was paid in full by God himself, in flesh).
Wow..you came up with that yourself? I had never thought about it
until I read something on someone else's take in a book.
I will post that later, gotta run....what do the letters mean,btw you always write first, please?
I got Lord Jesus Christ, ha...

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow..you came up with that yourself? I had never thought about it
until I read something on someone else's take in a book.
I will post that later, gotta run....what do the letters mean,btw you always write first, please?
I got Lord Jesus Christ, ha...
No, I didn't come up with that, the Lord gave it to me. there is a lot more to this, I'm now keeping my post kinda short. I was told that some are too long. so, I agree.

as to the GINOLJC, it’s a Greeting. an acronym I use when I first come on the site. Greeting in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ, which I use to write out. But now use the acronym
Greeting
In
the
Name
Of
the
Lord
Jesus
Christ

GINOLJC. The t’s in the, are not used. no more cross, get it?.

I started using this greeting on the internet when entering forums like this one. No one was greeting one another, but all say that they are Christians. The bible say greet one another. So I decided to greet my fellow brothers and sisters in the Lord, even if they don’t greet me back. It’s the Christian thing to do.

Peace in Christ Yeshua.

PS it have it's benefits too.

Miss Hepburn

Oct 28, 2009
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So this is what someone said about why a dove (I mean come on..off all things on earth ...why a dove?).
He explained the nature of a dove...how sensiive and skittish it is...any slight
disturbance...it flies away.
My addition to this would be picture a NYC apartment on a high floor with a big stone window ledge...there are pigeons one day...another day a couple of doves.
You could stand at a window and scream...pigeons don't budge.
Get even close to the window and the doves take off.

For the Holy Spirit to light, to come into your presence...there needs to be stillness of some sort...if not stillness exactly, a welcoming, gentle, fertile ground prepared.
Another way I put it...if you want a guest to come...you make a place for them.
I don' need to elaborate on that. ☺

101G..any chance you could make more paragraphs to make reading easier ? The Blood question thread was hard for me today.

Reactions: pia

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Holy Spirit = JESUS without flesh as the Father. Holy Spirit = Jesus diversified with flesh.

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
This is already 189th post! I cannot read all the posts so far. I read first few posts and last few.;)

This is my understanding. The Holy Spirit cannot be separated from the Word of God and vice versa. Similarly God The Father cannot be separated from the Holy Spirit and The Word of God, though the trinitarian doctrine says they exist as three different persons.

This is what I mean. Starting from the book of Genesis to the New Testament, Wherever you find Holy Spirit, there the Word of God exists. You will particularly observe this in the Story of creation from Genesis and the rest of the Bible. Also after the resurrection of Jesus, when He promised the comforter, there was also the Word of God being preached by the Apostles along with the scriptures , though Jesus was not physically present with them.

So do you need to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, you can through the Word of God. Would you like to hear The Father speaking, you certainly can, through the Word of God. They do not exist isolated from one another. (John 1:1, Ps 33:6,9, Heb 11:3, James 2:19, Deut 6:4, 1 Cor 8:5,6, John 14:19, 20, 21, Mark 16:15, 20)

When you are reading the Bible and believe in Jesus, then you have the Word of God, The Holy Spirit and certainly God The Father.

Isaiah 55
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Matthew 1
23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is,
God with us.

All glory to God

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I tend to think the concept of the Trinity is our best attempt to understand God. I wonder if we will look back on it as quaint and amusing when we are kneeling before Him.....

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is already 189th post! I cannot read all the posts so far. I read first few posts and last few.;)

This is my understanding. The Holy Spirit cannot be separated from the Word of God and vice versa. Similarly God The Father cannot be separated from the Holy Spirit and The Word of God, though the trinitarian doctrine says they exist as three different persons.

This is what I mean. Starting from the book of Genesis to the New Testament, Wherever you find Holy Spirit, there the Word of God exists. You will particularly observe this in the Story of creation from Genesis and the rest of the Bible. Also after the resurrection of Jesus, when He promised the comforter, there was also the Word of God being preached by the Apostles along with the scriptures , though Jesus was not physically present with them.

So do you need to hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, you can through the Word of God. Would you like to hear The Father speaking, you certainly can, through the Word of God. They do not exist isolated from one another. (John 1:1, Ps 33:6,9, Heb 11:3, James 2:19, Deut 6:4, 1 Cor 8:5,6, John 14:19, 20, 21, Mark 16:15, 20)

When you are reading the Bible and believe in Jesus, then you have the Word of God, The Holy Spirit and certainly God The Father.

Isaiah 55
11 So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
Matthew 1
23 Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is,
God with us.

All glory to God
GINOLJC, to all. you're RIGHT on POINT, and correct. Psalms 33:6 "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth". STOP and think, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself".

the the breath = Spirit

but Two things to NOTE here:

MAKE all things.
#1. The LORD, all Caps Maketh all things. now, the WORD, John 1:3 "
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made".

Psalms 33:6 says the LORD, (all caps) maketh ALL Things. John 1:3 say the WORD (who is the Lord) maketh all things.

ALONE, BY HIMSELF.
#2. the LORD, all Caps made everything "by himself", because he said, "he stretcheth forth the heavens
alone". and he said it was he who "by myself" spreadeth abroad the earth.

well question, "who laid the foundation of the EARTH?". answer, Isaiah 48:12 & 13 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called;
I am he; I am the first, I also am the last. 13 "Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together". LET'S BE SURE WHO LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH. Isaiah 51:13 "And forgettest the LORD thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, as if he were ready to destroy? and where is the fury of the oppressor?".

OK, we are very clear as to who "LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH", right..... right, it was the LORD all caps. now this,

Hebrews 1:8-10 "But unto
the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. 9 "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. 10 "And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands".

so here in Hebrews, it is the Lord, not the LORD, as 48:12 & 13 states who "LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH".

what the conclusion.

#1. either the bible is in a contradiction, OR, OR, OR,

#2. the LORD is the Lord in flesh, the same person with both titles.

me personally, I'm going with the written word. so that means the Lord is the diversified ANOTHER of himself in flesh. and the used of diversity here is indicating what the Greek called G243 Allos of someone of the same sort. and this fact is backed up in Philippians 2:6 when it states about the Christ, the LIVING WORD.

it is without any doubt that the Holy Spirit is the "LORD" without flesh and bones. and the Hly Spirit is the "Lord" in Flesh and bone. ONE PERSON, ONE GOD, only diversified, better known as the "OFFSPRING". scripture, Revelation 22:16 "
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star".

I, is a single designation, meaning ONE PERSON. the
ROOT is the "LORD" without flesh, and the OFFSPRING is the "Lord" diversified in flesh. amen.

Now read Isaiah 48:12 & 13 again, "I am he; I am the first, I also am the last" . the First is the "ROOT", the Last is the "OFFSPRING".

PCY

prashanthd

Aug 16, 2013
Hyderabad, India
Faith
Christian
Country
India
I tend to think the concept of the Trinity is our best attempt to understand God. I wonder if we will look back on it as quaint and amusing when we are kneeling before Him.....
GINOLJC, to all. you're RIGHT on POINT, and correct. Psalms 33:6 "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made; and all the host of them by the breath of his mouth". STOP and think, Isaiah 44:24 "Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself".

the the breath = Spirit

but Two things to NOTE here:

MAKE all things.
#1. The LORD, all Caps Maketh all things. now, the WORD, John 1:3 "
All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made".

Psalms 33:6 says the LORD, (all caps) maketh ALL Things. John 1:3 say the WORD (who is the Lord) maketh all things.

ALONE, BY HIMSELF.
#2. the LORD, all Caps made everything "by himself", because he said, "he stretcheth forth the heavens
alone". and he said it was he who "by myself" spreadeth abroad the earth.

well question, "who laid the foundation of the EARTH?". answer, Isaiah 48:12 & 13 "Hearken unto me, O Jacob and Israel, my called;
I am he; I am the first, I also am the last. 13 "Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together". LET'S BE SURE WHO LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH. Isaiah 51:13 "And forgettest the LORD thy maker, that hath stretched forth the heavens, and laid the foundations of the earth; and hast feared continually every day because of the fury of the oppressor, as if he were ready to destroy? and where is the fury of the oppressor?".

OK, we are very clear as to who "LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH", right..... right, it was the LORD all caps. now this,

Hebrews 1:8-10 "But unto
the Son he saith, Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: a sceptre of righteousness is the sceptre of thy kingdom. 9 "Thou hast loved righteousness, and hated iniquity; therefore God, even thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows. 10 "And, Thou, Lord, in the beginning hast laid the foundation of the earth; and the heavens are the works of thine hands".

so here in Hebrews, it is the Lord, not the LORD, as 48:12 & 13 states who "LAID THE FOUNDATION OF THE EARTH".

what the conclusion.

#1. either the bible is in a contradiction, OR, OR, OR,

#2. the LORD is the Lord in flesh, the same person with both titles.

me personally, I'm going with the written word. so that means the Lord is the diversified ANOTHER of himself in flesh. and the used of diversity here is indicating what the Greek called G243 Allos of someone of the same sort. and this fact is backed up in Philippians 2:6 when it states about the Christ, the LIVING WORD.

it is without any doubt that the Holy Spirit is the "LORD" without flesh and bones. and the Hly Spirit is the "Lord" in Flesh and bone. ONE PERSON, ONE GOD, only diversified, better known as the "OFFSPRING". scripture, Revelation 22:16 "
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star".

I, is a single designation, meaning ONE PERSON. the
ROOT is the "LORD" without flesh, and the OFFSPRING is the "Lord" diversified in flesh. amen.

Now read Isaiah 48:12 & 13 again, "I am he; I am the first, I also am the last" . the First is the "ROOT", the Last is the "OFFSPRING".

PCY

Thanks for a helpful elaboration. :)

The general understanding goes in the descending order from God to Jesus like this

GOD
Jesus

Then at John 1:1 , Yes JESUS IS GOD

When you go back and forth, the insight is amazing.

The doctrine of trinity says God in three persons. I do not completely comprehend with this doctrine. This is not exactly the way I understand God when I read the Bible.

I agree, in the Bible God is in three, but persons?????
Because when you say persons, you are referring to three different "consubstantial persons" let's say for example - bodies with flesh and blood which are distinct, separate and do not overlap(mathematically) :)
This idea conflicts with the verse God is Spirit.(John 4:24)

Can we say three Spirits? No. God is one Spirit which is Holy Spirit. (Eph 4:4)

Trinity = tri+unity , this again conflicts! When God is ONE, where is the question of unity? Unity is in the context when our spirit is joined with Holy Spirit (1 cor 6:17, Eph 4:2,3)

Then what are they? We always tend to understand everything from a human perspective, even God and that's where we go wrong.(1cor 3:19) In case you try to understand God from the Human perspective, then God, who is in three cannot be understood correctly. so also God is Love. Is Love a person? no. Is Love a spirit? no. Love is a feeling of hearts and minds, it is a fruit of the Spirit(Gal 5:22) People tend to understand the opposite - Love is God/devine, but that is not 'God is Love'.

so what are these three in God? Honestly, I don't know.

I know this - "the devils also believe, and tremble". Please notice the word 'also' (James 2:19)
When I go in depth in understanding God, this is what I feel inside - tremble.(Ps 114:5-8,Ps 99:1,Ps 119:120) Fourteen years back, I understood this and I told the people around me - when you think of God, you have to tremble. The reaction I got was this - yeah we know, you do not have to tell us all this, not good to read too much, you are acting too smart! :(:D Praise God, He kept me away from such company!

When you go in-depth and try to understand God, then everything begins to fall in place - God is Love, God is truth, God is Light .....

Reacting to your post @101G, Jesus is the appearance of God while limiting himself to that of a human being. I understand from these verses John 14:12, Lk 22:42, Ps 8:5

When you say Jesus who maketh all things, it is referring to Jesus in spirit(John 6:57,60,63), which is the Holy Spirit, who later took the form of flesh and blood(Phil 2:7)

1 Corinthians 15
45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

So, I agree with you.

Around fourteen years back, I came to the conclusion that when we are reading the Bible, we have God with us and people(around me) thought I was acting too smart. :(:D

Recently in a different manner, I reached the same conclusion - when we are reading the Bible believing in Jesus, we have GOD with us.

All glory to God.

Reactions: Helen

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GINOLJC, to all.
I like your explanations. not many see the truth as you here. I commend you on your understanding on the Godhead. contuine in Grace by the Holy Spirit.
The general understanding goes in the descending order from God to Jesus like this

GOD
Jesus

Then at John 1:1 , Yes JESUS IS GOD
This is correct. God is a Spirit, and the Spirit shared himself in flesh, by diversifying himself in flesh. I'm going to give you the "KEY" to how the Lord Jesus open my eyes and taught me diversified oneness. the key is "OF", yes, this little two letter word open up the Godhead for me. according to Vine's Expository Dictionary of New Testament Words, "of" translates the genitive case of nouns with various shades of meaning. Of these the subjective and objective are mentioned. STOP, if one can understand this little conjunction, "of", then one will have the ability to understand the Godhead completely. notice what it says, "translates the genitive case of nouns". if I say Spirit of God, then I'm speaking about God, and God is a Spirit, subjective. if I say the spirit of 101G, I'm I speaking about 101G or prashanthd?. I'm speaking about 101G of course, the objective, because I'm in flesh.

now, the person? G243 allos gives us the understanding of the person. definition time: G243 Allos, expresses a numerical difference and denotes another of the same sort. notice "of" the SAME SORT, meaning the "OFFSPRING" of the SAME SOURCE. God is ONE, never changing. so the OFFSPRING is the same as the SOURCE, hence as you said, John 1:1 JESUS is GOD in flesh, the objective of, of, of, the subjective. better known as the ARM of, of, of, God. meaning the SAME PERSON only a numerical difference as G243 Allos states. and supported by Philippians 2:6 "Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God". there is no one his EQUAL unless it is him in ANOTHER, (G243 Allos, FORM). plain as day. a numerical difference, or another of himself in FLESH, hence John 1:1 again. yes, JESUS is God.
I agree, in the Bible God is in three, but persons?????
consider this order.
Holy Spirit
Father Son
only ONE PERSON, but a numerical difference as G243 Allos states, meaning TWO individuals manifested, but of the SAME SORT/Person.

the only individual is the Holy Spirit.
individual #1, the Holy Spirit is the Father without flesh and Bone.
individual #2, the Holy Spirit is the Son, diversified, with flesh and bones

individual #3. is individual 1 without flesh and bone, NOTE, Spirit, the subjective, unseen, abstract

individual #3. is individual 2 with flesh and bone, NOTE, Spirit, in flesh, the objective, seen, concrete

conclusion ONLY ONE PERSON, Shared in flesh.

Then what are they? We always tend to understand everything from a human perspective, even God and that's where we go wrong.(1cor 3:19) In case you try to understand God from the Human perspective, then God, who is in three cannot be understood correctly. so also God is Love. Is Love a person? no. Is Love a spirit? no. Love is a feeling of hearts and minds, it is a fruit of the Spirit(Gal 5:22) People tend to understand the opposite - Love is God/devine, but that is not 'God is Love'.
this is 100% correct. our fleshly minds cannot understand the Spirit. that's why the Lord JESUS came in Spirit to teach us Spiritual things, 1 Corinthians 2:12 "Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.1 Corinthians 2:13 & 14 "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 "But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned".
When you go in-depth and try to understand God, then everything begins to fall in place - God is Love, God is truth, God is Light .....
this is true, Proverbs 14:12 "There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death". but, but, but, "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. "Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil". Proverbs 3:5-7.

PCY

Reactions: prashanthd