The importance of church?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grell

Jun 12, 2011
New Jersey, US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey all. I have just recently been getting seriously into Christianity and was wondering what you guys thought about church, or how necessary (if at all) it is to one's spiritual life. I personally prefer listening to sermons at home via the Internet, and Bible reading primarily at home. Church is something that I have tried and I just can't seem to get into it. It is hard for me to drag myself to church every Sunday, however I have no qualms with praying or reading the Bible on a daily basis. So what is the verdict? Can I still be an effective, spiritual Christian without church, or am I missing out on a lot?

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
Hey all. I have just recently been getting seriously into Christianity and was wondering what you guys thought about church, or how necessary (if at all) it is to one's spiritual life. I personally prefer listening to sermons at home via the Internet, and Bible reading primarily at home. Church is something that I have tried and I just can't seem to get into it. It is hard for me to drag myself to church every Sunday, however I have no qualms with praying or reading the Bible on a daily basis. So what is the verdict? Can I still be an effective, spiritual Christian without church, or am I missing out on a lot?

There's something powerful about gathering with other Christians and studying his word together, and a time/place where others can compliment each other with their gifts and abilities in unity. Depending on where you live, going to church can require a high level of trust in others and God. Kinda have to be willing to take offense, and an ability to handle it when people mess up when trying to relate to you, or people not taking like they always should when you try to relate to them. It can all be overcome if the church you attend has a heart for the big picture of maturing together as a body on mission for Christ. If you go in ready to extend grace equal to what you have been given, you should be more than fine.

[sup]Hebrews 10:24[/sup] And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, [sup]25[/sup] not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

jiggyfly

Nov 27, 2009
North Carolina

I became dis-illusioned with the Christian religious system and stopped participating in religious liturgy several years ago and yet my relationship with Father and Christ has grown tremendously.

I have lots of free literature available too, if your interested just send me a PM. Welcome to CB also
smile.gif

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007

At first I thought this thread was going to be about the purpose of the church. :lol: Of course when I talk church, I mean people in Christ. That's what the church really is, not a building.

But your question is regarding about frequenting a physical place with liturgy and so on and so forth. I will say this much. The bible strongly encourages fellow Christians to meet together for instruction, edification and worship to say the least. That being said, if you get a strange feeling about lifeless liturgy and form, then it probably is just that and is not really there for the purpose of instruction, edification and worship. In that case, try to find a church that does do that, or even a "house church" is acceptable as many of the early Christians did just that. In the house church they had instruction, encouragement and letters from the apostles, they'd commune with each other and the Lord and often sang hymns (but singing of course was not limited there). So any house church ought to do the same ---- of course there are no inspired apostles today that write any more of the bible, but in that case you read and study the bible.

That's how you grow in Christ, that's how you understand God's purpose, and lastly that's how you prepare for the role that Christ chosen the church to do now and in the hereafter (which I did not touch on here).

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
John Wesley said that "Sour godliness is the devil's religion. It does not owe its inception to truly spiritual people. I suspect that sour godliness oriented among unhappy, semi-religious people who had just enough religion to make them miserable, but not enough to make then good."

There are times in which people justifiably leave a church on the grounds of 'sour godliness.' In which I cannot condemn. But I think it important to at least find a place where you can partake of communion. In which... The administering of the Lords supper cannot be sloppy, as the scripture says...

[sup]17[/sup]Now in this that I declare unto you I praise you not, that ye come together not for the better, but for the worse. [sup]18[/sup]For first of all, when ye come together in the church, I hear that there be divisions among you; and I partly believe it.

[sup]19[/sup]For there must be also heresies among you, that they which are approved may be made manifest among you.

[sup]20[/sup]When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.

[sup]21[/sup]For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.

[sup]22[/sup]What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.

[sup]23[/sup]For I have received of the Lord that which also I delivered unto you, that the Lord Jesus the same night in which he was betrayed took bread:

[sup]24[/sup]And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

[sup]25[/sup]After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, this cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me.

[sup]26[/sup]For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

[sup]27[/sup]Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.

[sup]28[/sup]But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

[sup]29[/sup]For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

[sup]30[/sup]For this cause many are weak and sickly among you, and many sleep.

[sup]31[/sup]For if we would judge ourselves, we should not be judged.

[sup]32[/sup]But when we are judged, we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

[sup]33[/sup]Wherefore, my brethren, when ye come together to eat, tarry one for another.

[sup]34[/sup]And if any man hunger, let him eat at home; that ye come not together unto condemnation. And the rest will I set in order when I come. - 1 Corinthians 11: 17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think lukewarm Christianity is characteristic of this church age... However the Lord says...

So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:16

Prentis

May 25, 2011
Montreal, Qc

Your effectiveness as a christian is about whether or not you allow God to use you to conduce his heart where you are.

If you really are seeking the Lord, you will not find much edification or spiritual life in men's churches. Men have built many churches.

All I can say is this; ask the Lord to show you HIS church. And importantly, his church is NOT a building, it is a peculiar people scattered among the nations. Ask the Lord, and do NOT be scared of questioning things. Only question with a good attitude and heart, wanting to know the truth. :)

If you seek him with all your heart, you will find him!

Blessings to you Grell!

goob

Jul 20, 2008
I myself do not go to church because of 1 Cor 1. I refuse to participate in the separatism that has become today's denominations.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I myself do not go to church because of 1 Cor 1. I refuse to participate in the separatism that has become today's denominations.

Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. - Hebrews 10:25

There is a new type of church arising these days that generally meet in schools and old store buildings. These churches tend to be charismatic in worship and non denominational in doctrine. In which I find it a good thing to meet at least once a week with Gods people.

Cute little icon you have there by the way! :lol:

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is certainly nothing wrong with going to church if one enjoys that and finds a church they can find God Word being taught.
However many churches today do not teach Gods Word.
They are about feel good religion.
While the good news of Christ is the first thing we learn as Christians its called milk ...It is to bring one too the Lord . or a way to worship the Lord.

The meat is actually being taught or learning the deeper truths of the Word.
Milk will NOT sustain you ....You must have the meat.
When looking for a church one must not get carried away by the feel good stuff to the exclusion of real meat.

God says where two or more are gathered together he there that is church ... No building or name on a church door will save anyone its about whats in your heart ... Mat 18:20For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In which I do not promote any specific denomination. But I think it important to take of communion at least once a year administered by holy men of God.

goob

Jul 20, 2008
Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching. - Hebrews 10:25

There is a new type of church arising these days that generally meet in schools and old store buildings. These churches tend to be charismatic in worship and non denominational in doctrine. In which I find it a good thing to meet at least once a week with Gods people.

Cute little icon you have there by the way! :lol:

ty, ty :)

I would never toss a Scripture aside for another. They do not contradict and I know this. Fellowship is very important as per its Greek definition. However, denominations simply should not exist. Everything Paul says in 1 Cor 1 attests to that. Non denominational has become a denomination in its own right. The whole church is a mess because of them. Me - I just belong to Jesus. This is a really important issue, too. Take a look at 1 Cor 1:7! Everything else Paul says after that is wrapped around that verse. That's how important this is. They didn't listen, and here we are umpteen thousand denominations later. It's not good. Want proof?

Have you "ever" heard a truly good answer to a new believer's question of what church / denomination they should go to? Who has the truth?

There isn't one. Because they shouldn't exist.

avoice

May 17, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only relgion ever mentioned in scripture is James 1:26-27

but I do agree with Rocytopva that communion at least once a year is important
but I dont believe one needs holymen to give it
thats the great thing about being a Christian we all have the same abiltity to be as Holy as the next guy because someone is a pastor or minister doesnt make them holier than you or me. He just has a differt calling.
We have a personal God.

goob

Jul 20, 2008
The only relgion ever mentioned in scripture is James 1:26-27

but I do agree with Rocytopva that communion at least once a year is important
but I dont believe one needs holymen to give it
thats the great thing about being a Christian we all have the same abiltity to be as Holy as the next guy because someone is a pastor or minister doesnt make them holier than you or me. He just has a differt calling.
We have a personal God.

Amen to that. They are just men.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Goob... Who can argue with a smiley face eating popcorn? :)

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[sup]2[/sup]Thus speaketh the LORD of hosts, saying, This people say, The time is not come, the time that the LORD's house should be built. [sup]3[/sup]Then came the word of the LORD by Haggai the prophet, saying,

[sup]4[/sup]Is it time for you, O ye, to dwell in your cieled houses, and this house lie waste?

[sup]8[/sup]Go up to the mountain, and bring wood, and build the house; and I will take pleasure in it, and I will be glorified, saith the LORD. - Haggai 1:1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

God loves to see his house filled with good and righteous people. And I love to see places like Joel Osteen's Lakewood church where people can gather together and enjoy their Christian experiences!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question was raised... Why so many denominations? The answer is because we are flesh and blood! I believe that the Pentecostal Holiness doctrine is the best ever thought of...

The modified Methodist doctrine...

1. Justification... Faith opens the doors to heavenly possibilities!
2. Salvation... Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved!
3. Sanctification... Evidence... A sweet spirit
4. The Baptism in the Holy Ghost... The anointing of the Spirit...

But these experiences can be replaced with the things of the flesh...

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. - Jude 1:4

In which it is easy to replace the quality spiritual goods with the things of the flesh and ruin the whole perfect doctrine. In which we have many in our denomination that have replaced these virtues with arrogance... The Pharisees themselves replaced these virtues with the leaven of their own doctrine...

[sup]5[/sup]And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. [sup]6[/sup]Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

[sup]11[/sup]How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

[sup]12[/sup]Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.- Matthew 16; 5, 6, 11, 12

In which one can only grieve... Therefore as I believe perfect doctrine can be spoiled with the things of the flesh I can make no recommendations to what church an individual should attend. I did a devotion on the seven church ages in which I believe were riddled with issues (My view on the ages). In which I place the independent church as something that arose out of the Laodicean age. So I neither condemn or condone those who forsake the building of the church but grieve that those independents could not find something that suited their individual tastes. We are all in the flesh! And if there were perfect churches out there we would most probably sully the poor places up with our own imperfections!

goob

Jul 20, 2008
Goob... Who can argue with a smiley face eating popcorn? :)

lol exactly!

The question was raised... Why so many denominations? The answer is because we are flesh and blood! I believe that the Pentecostal Holiness doctrine is the best ever thought of...

The modified Methodist doctrine...

1. Justification... Faith opens the doors to heavenly possibilities!
2. Salvation... Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved!
3. Sanctification... Evidence... A sweet spirit
4. The Baptism in the Holy Ghost... The anointing of the Spirit...

But these experiences can be replaced with the things of the flesh...

For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ. - Jude 1:4

In which it is easy to replace the quality spiritual goods with the things of the flesh and ruin the whole perfect doctrine. In which we have many in our denomination that have replaced these virtues with arrogance... The Pharisees themselves replaced these virtues with the leaven of their own doctrine...

[sup]5[/sup]And when his disciples were come to the other side, they had forgotten to take bread. [sup]6[/sup]Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

[sup]11[/sup]How is it that ye do not understand that I spake it not to you concerning bread, that ye should beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees?

[sup]12[/sup]Then understood they how that he bade them not beware of the leaven of bread, but of the doctrine of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.- Matthew 16; 5, 6, 11, 12

In which one can only grieve... Therefore as I believe perfect doctrine can be spoiled with the things of the flesh I can make no recommendations to what church an individual should attend. I did a devotion on the seven church ages in which I believe were riddled with issues (My view on the ages). In which I place the independent church as something that arose out of the Laodicean age. So I neither condemn or condone those who forsake the building of the church but grieve that those independents could not find something that suited their individual tastes. We are all in the flesh! And if there were perfect churches out there we would most probably sully the poor places up with our own imperfections!

Hm. Of course there's something we can do about it. We can decide one by one that we refuse to participate in and therefore condone the separatism that Paul warned about in 1 Cor 1.... Remember, smiley. Popcorn. Goob is right. :))

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I think just going to church and slogging through the program and running to your car and driving away as quickly as possible is awful - it feels like the service will never end and when it finally does, people crowd the doors and the parking lot in a mad dash to escape. Staying home and studying on your own does beat that experience every time. The problem is we are called to worship and fellowship with the Body of Christ - and with the right attitude, it can actually be enriching for you and others. I like churches that promote small groups because they help people get to know each other on a deeper level and encourage involvement in larger church programs. I think church is very important if building relationships with fellow Christians and worshiping God together is your goal.

goob

Jul 20, 2008
I think just going to church and slogging through the program and running to your car and driving away as quickly as possible is awful - it feels like the service will never end and when it finally does, people crowd the doors and the parking lot in a mad dash to escape. Staying home and studying on your own does beat that experience every time. The problem is we are called to worship and fellowship with the Body of Christ - and with the right attitude, it can actually be enriching for you and others. I like churches that promote small groups because they help people get to know each other on a deeper level and encourage involvement in larger church programs. I think church is very important if building relationships with fellow Christians and worshiping God together is your goal.

It isn't the church that is important at all. It's the fellowship. God never meant for denominations to exist. They do so because of disagreement, confusion and contention. Choosing a denomination is like picking which contentious disagreement you wish to side with. God would never have had this for his bride; and He made that clear through Paul in 1 Cor 1.

It's okay to disagree. It is not okay to disagree angrily over Scripture, and then take your marbles and go play elsewhere. In fact, it's impossible that any of these denominations have split from another without slandering the first by the very act of leaving to begin with.

By this I mean slander in its real definition, not the secular definition. Slander in its real definition is to speak against - period. It doesn't matter whether the thing that is said against another is true or not as it does in its secular definition.

Which church do you know of that has repented of such, and would that even be possible without returning to whence they came, considering what repentance is?

Are we to ignore all of this because there doesn't seem to be an easy answer?

Have you ever been questioned by a new believer as to what church they should go to? Which denomination is right and true? How should they choose?

I have. I had no answer for them. Because there isn't one aside from "go to the church I go to or like myself", or "find a good Bible believing church" - What the heck does a new believer know about a Bible believing church or how to distinguish one from one that is not? It usually leads to "well the church I go to is Pentecostal and they teach straight from the Bible so go to a Pentecostal church" - again, it comes back down to "go to the church I go to and like myself".

All of this is "wrong"! It will never be otherwise either unless and until "we" do something about it, one believer at a time.