The Insanity of the "right" to have guns!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people don't understand that you can have a gun and not commit violence with it. You can have a sword and not live by the sword. Does that make sense?

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some people don't understand that you can have a gun and not commit violence with it. You can have a sword and not live by the sword. Does that make sense?

To live is Christ. It means to trust in Christ and to trust in Him. The same is true with living by the sword. You are trusting your sword.
Besides, Matthew 26:52 in the KJB and NASB say to take up the sword shall perish with the sword. Meaning, if you show a hand of force, it can lead to those with guns to think they are tougher and kill you. It becomes a fight or battle at some point. Hence, why turning the other cheek is (not acting violently or showing a force of violence) is better.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To live is Christ. It means to trust in Christ and to trust in Him. The same is true with living by the sword. You are trusting your sword.
Besides, Matthew 26:52 in the KJB and NASB say to take up the sword shall perish with the sword. Meaning, if you show a hand of force, it can lead to those with guns to think they are tougher and kill you. It becomes a fight or battle at some point. Hence, why turning the other cheek is (not acting violently or showing a force of violence) is better.
Again, you can have a gun and not shoot anyone. I have guns, I have never shot anyone nor do I plan to.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrase “live by the sword shall die by the sword” should not be read in a way whereby it forces us to ignore the context of what is going on, either. It’s clear Peter was acting in self defense in protecting his family (Jesus). Yet, many do not see that as a problem if they were to do it. Peter had no clue what these men who were coming with weapons for Jesus were going to do. Peter thought they were a threat to his Lord because of their weapons and they drawing near to his Lord. It would be like men coming with guns up to one’s little girls. Surely if one trusted or lived by their gun (sword), they would attack, right? This was the same thinking in the mind of Peter. It’s why Jesus said He could have asked the Father for thousands of angels to protect Himself, and He did not need Peter’s protection.

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The phrase “live by the sword shall die by the sword” should not be read in a way whereby it forces us to ignore the context of what is going on, either. It’s clear Peter was acting in self defense in protecting his family (Jesus). Yet, many do not see that as a problem if they were to do it. Peter had no clue what these men who were coming with weapons for Jesus were going to do. Peter thought they were a threat to his Lord because of their weapons and they drawing near to his Lord. It would be like men coming with guns up to one’s little girls. Surely if one trusted or lived by their gun (sword), they would attack, right?
Yeah I don't know. Guns are fun.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah I don't know. Guns are fun.

And also exceptionally dangerous. Follow the Lord, and don’t go beyond what is written. There is no clear teaching in the New Testament for self defense using lethal force. The story between Jesus and Peter in Matthew 26:47-56 makes this clear.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Multiple people shot California church in Laguna Woods Orange County one person detained casualties | Daily Mail Online

Buffalo shooter targeted Black neighborhood, officials say

These MASS murders, and MANY more that we see on a regular basis, shows that it is both UNBIBLICAL and UNCHRISTIAN for anyone, especially if the are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, to own any form of weapon!

The US Constitution that allows for this is VERY WRONG!
Sooooo, it is "UNBIBLICAL and UNCHRISTIAN for anyone, especially if the are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, to own any form of weapon"?

Is a knife a weapon? ;)

It was YOUR King and YOUR Country that drove Americans to feel the need for the right to bear arms! So I thank you.....:rolleyes:

The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.” Thomas Jefferson

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So what is your solution? Disarm all law abiding citizens (Christians and non-Christians alike) in America so that only criminals will have guns and law abiding citizens will be helpless?
Hey mailmandan,

You sound kind of like Thomas Jefferson: The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes…. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.”

God Bless...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Multiple people shot California church in Laguna Woods Orange County one person detained casualties | Daily Mail Online

Buffalo shooter targeted Black neighborhood, officials say

These MASS murders, and MANY more that we see on a regular basis, shows that it is both UNBIBLICAL and UNCHRISTIAN for anyone, especially if the are followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, to own any form of weapon!

The US Constitution that allows for this is VERY WRONG!
Is it wrong for your military have weapon's?

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And also exceptionally dangerous. Follow the Lord, and don’t go beyond what is written. There is no clear teaching in the New Testament for self defense using lethal force. The story between Jesus and Peter in Matthew 26:47-56 makes this clear.
Ugh well duh. Of course they are dangerous. I was raised with them, hunting. I have been around firearms my whole life. I had a gun shop/federal firearms license. Our parents taught us the dangers of guns and we treat them with respect. I was a child when I learned about guns. Everyone in high school had guns in the back windows of their trucks. There were never school shootings. Kids fist fought to settle their differences. This is a stupid people problem, not a gun problem. I get pretty defensive when people try to "teach" me the dangers of guns. I am not a toddler thanks.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bless your heart for exposing your reading comprehension to suppose Jesus command to buy a sword was so the Apostles and we could non-violently hunt.

Your twisting Bible Highlighter's words shows where you are spiritually. You should be ashamed of yourself!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ugh well duh. Of course they are dangerous. I was raised with them, hunting. I have been around firearms my whole life. I had a gun shop/federal firearms license. Our parents taught us the dangers of guns and we treat them with respect. I was a child when I learned about guns. Everyone in high school had guns in the back windows of their trucks. There were never school shootings. Kids fist fought to settle their differences. This is a stupid people problem, not a gun problem. I get pretty defensive when people try to "teach" me the dangers of guns. I am not a toddler thanks.

I also grew up with guns and still own some. I have always enjoyed shooting (of all kinds) and used to hunt (for food of course). That said, guns are dangerous and it takes more than a knowledge of how they work to use them safely, regardless of the situation. Unfortunately, stupid people own guns and use them dangerously and irresponsibly. Why? Because they are spiritually and/or morally deficient.

It has nothing to do with stupidity, which sounds like junior high thinking: "you're just stupid, and so's your old man".

Or false pride, which you clearly show when you write "I get pretty defensive when people try to "teach" me the dangers of guns."

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guns aren’t the problem, and they’ll never be taken away, trust me!

Reactions: Mantis

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I also grew up with guns and still own some. I have always enjoyed shooting (of all kinds) and used to hunt (for food of course). That said, guns are dangerous and it takes more than a knowledge of how they work to use them safely, regardless of the situation. Unfortunately, stupid people own guns and use them dangerously and irresponsibly. Why? Because they are spiritually and/or morally deficient.

It has nothing to do with stupidity, which sounds like junior high thinking: "you're just stupid, and so's your old man".

Or false pride, which you clearly show when you write "I get pretty defensive when people try to "teach" me the dangers of guns."

Yeah sorry I couldn't think of a better word than stupid. I wasn't always a christian but I have always had guns. I have never wanted to shoot anyone. Nothing changed with my moral compass regarding guns when I became a christian. It is a people problem Maybe not a stupid people problem but an unscrupulous people problem.,

Mantis

Nov 2, 2020
The wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is false pride?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Yeah sorry I couldn't think of a better word than stupid. I wasn't always a christian but I have always had guns. I have never wanted to shoot anyone. Nothing changed with my moral compass regarding guns when I became a christian. It is a people problem Maybe not a stupid people problem but an unscrupulous people problem.,
Hi @Mantis I think in different parts of the world with different traditions, ppl are likely to have different ideas about guns, depending on what the local customs have been for generations...

JohnPaul

Soldier of Jehovah and Christ
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It’s lunatics who are the problem.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

My point is that endorsing guns can lead others who are not as responsible or as experienced as you are. Billy-Bob could shoot his son in his own house thinking he was a burglar or Bubba could end up shooting himself by mishandling his own weapon. It’s happened tons of times. In other words, a gun is not necessary in the Christian walk when it comes to protection against men. Romans 8:28 and Psalms 91:10-12.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.