The Key of a "Thousand."

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most want to take the words of scripture "literally"...that is, as according to our own understanding. This we do in spite of God's own clarification, that the words are rather spirit, and are spiritually discerned. And the result is, we are potentially completely off when it comes to interpreting many passages. The point is, the word of God is a literary work on one level--but not completely. But it is completely spirit, inspired, and discerned.

In the case of the term a "thousand", the same word is used for both of these passages:
  • For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it is past, And like a watch in the night. Psalm 90:4
  • For every beast of the forest is Mine, And the cattle on a thousand hills. Psalm 50:10
...See the problem?

The problem is, in a "literal" or literary sense, according to our default method of understanding--that would mean God doesn't own all the cattle...just those on a thousand hills.

Crazy, right?

So...if a thousand means "a thousand years"...or "a day"...or "every"...or "all"...we have no business claiming any of the uses of the word "thousand" in the scriptures is actually "literally" a thousand at all!

Such are the stumbling blocks against the natural man when it comes to matters of God, where only the spirit may discern the truth.

Therefore, I recommend interpreting the term "thousand" in the scriptures as "all"...as it all belongs to God. And, yes, that means taking a second look at many passages of scripture.

Press on.

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Psalm 90:4 it is literal and in Psalm 50:10 it is figurative language.
A thousand years is like a day to God is to be taken literally.
The Millennial Kingdom is literal.
144k Jewish virgin males, 12k from each tribe is literal.
When an angel killed 185k people - that's literal.
10k × 10k + thousands and thousands > 100k angels
I guess your signal was blocked?
Discernment is true when it is actually coming from the Holy Spirit. It's just that we are also thinking thoughts that aren't from the Spirit and from our own rationality. I'm not just picking on you. I think this happens to all of us. You can have ten born again Christians in a room and ask them the same question, to first pray, ask for discernment, write their answers down and you will get different answers, different points of view. You may get a majority but I doubt all will write word for word exactly the same sentence as if they took dictation from God.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Psalm 90:4 it is literal and in Psalm 50:10 it is figurative language.
144k Jewish virgin males, 12k from each tribe is literal.
10k × 10k + thousands and thousands > 100k angels
I guess your signal was blocked?
Discernment is true when it is actually coming from the Holy Spirit. It's just that we are also thinking thoughts that aren't from the Spirit and from our own rationality. I'm not just picking on you. I think this happens to all of us. You can have ten born again Christians in a room and ask them the same question, to first pray, ask for discernment, write their answers down and you will get different answers, different points of view. You may get a majority but I doubt all will write word for word exactly the same sentence as if they took dictation from God.

The only passage that means all is the Pslam 50:10
No, I wasn't speculating, but rather pointing out the error of the logic that you yourself arrive at. The problem is not taking all terms as literal, but just those that men fail to reconcile.

What I have stated reconciles all scripture.

JunChosen

Apr 7, 2020
Los Angeles
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Therefore, I recommend interpreting the term "thousand" in the scriptures as "all"...as it all belongs to God. And, yes, that means taking a second look at many passages of scripture.

So tell us about the word "all" in 1 Corinthians 15:22, does both words mean "each and every" or only the first word? Because, it is obvious, that "many are called but few are chosen," therefore the second word "all" cannot mean "each and every."

The problem is not taking all terms as literal, but just those that men fail to reconcile. What I have stated reconciles all scripture.
Ok, Einstein, do you have an interpretation for the term "thousamd" in Revelation 20? Because, contrary to other beliefs, it does NOT mean literal!

To God Be The Glory

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I wasn't speculating, but rather pointing out the error of the logic that you yourself arrive at. The problem is not taking all terms as literal, but just those that men fail to reconcile.

What I have stated reconciles all scripture.
1000 = all in all scripture?
No, I pointed out many scriptures where it doesn't.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Most want to take the words of scripture "literally"...that is, as according to our own understanding. This we do in spite of God's own clarification, that the words are rather spirit, and are spiritually discerned. And the result is, we are potentially completely off when it comes to interpreting many passages. The point is, the word of God is a literary work on one level--but not completely. But it is completely spirit, inspired, and discerned.

In the case of the term a "thousand", the same word is used for both of these passages:
  • For a thousand years in Your sight Are like yesterday when it is past, And like a watch in the night. Psalm 90:4
  • For every beast of the forest is Mine, And the cattle on a thousand hills. Psalm 50:10
...See the problem?

The problem is, in a "literal" or literary sense, according to our default method of understanding--that would mean God doesn't own all the cattle...just those on a thousand hills.

Crazy, right?

So...if a thousand means "a thousand years"...or "a day"...or "every"...or "all"...we have no business claiming any of the uses of the word "thousand" in the scriptures is actually "literally" a thousand at all!

Such are the stumbling blocks against the natural man when it comes to matters of God, where only the spirit may discern the truth.

Press on.

You gave a couple of great examples Scott. Sometimes it is literal, and sometimes not. For example we believe the binding of satan for 1000 yrs is literal, as is the millennial reign of Christ. Much of the Bible is literal, as well as not. If a passage contradicts another one, then it would be quite obvious that one is not literal, so an honest hearted student would pursue the meaning of the passage.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So tell us about the word "all" in 1 Corinthians 15:22, does both words mean "each and every" or only the first word? Because, it is obvious, that "many are called but few are chosen," therefore the second word "all" cannot mean "each and every."
You have misread the passage. Yes, "all" means all die. Yes, "all" "in Christ" are made alive.

For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. 1 Corinthians 15:22​

Ok, Einstein, do you have an interpretation for the term "thousamd" in Revelation 20? Because, contrary to other beliefs, it does NOT mean literal!

To God Be The Glory
Why the name calling? Is this a joke to you?

Both "thousand" year periods, simply mean: in the fullness of time. Which is true of all that is written. With time being an illusion and yet a chosen media of God for all revelation, "precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little”, only men regard the days and times as "literal" as it would appear to be in this world.

Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, having the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand. He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years; and he cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal on him, so that he should deceive the nations no more till the thousand years were finished. But after these things he must be released for a little while.

And I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and judgment was committed to them. Then I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness to Jesus and for the word of God, who had not worshiped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. And they lived and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. But the rest of the dead did not live again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy is he who has part in the first resurrection. Over such the second death has no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with Him a thousand years. Revelation 20:1-6

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1000 = all in all scripture?
No, I pointed out many scriptures where it doesn't.
"All", although true with God, perhaps does not break it down enough for understanding. Thanks for pointing it out!

I might have done better to say: In the fulness of time. Which then works for all scripture.

The point is...God has declared that a "thousand" doesn't necessarily mean a thousand, while many wrongly insist that it always does.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You gave a couple of great examples Scott. Sometimes it is literal, and sometimes not. For example we believe the binding of satan for 1000 yrs is literal, as is the millennial reign of Christ. Much of the Bible is literal, as well as not. If a passage contradicts another one, then it would be quite obvious that one is not literal, so an honest hearted student would pursue the meaning of the passage.
Yes, and yet the problem goes even deeper. In the fullness of time, it is not just those thing that are obvious now that will become clear, but all things.

For instance, according to the times of this world we know the date of when Jesus was slain--but dropping the things of this world, we know better that it was rather as it is also written, that with God He was slain before the foundation of the world. The contradiction then...is not of the word, but of the world...which is passing away.

This is the difference that I am pointing out...and indeed, it takes the renewing of ones mind to drop those things common to this world and become as Christ in God. Nonetheless, this by God is "all truth" of which has been appointed to us during these times.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, and yet the problem goes even deeper. In the fullness of time, it is not just those thing that are obvious now that will become clear, but all things.

For instance, according to the times of this world we know the date of when Jesus was slain--but dropping the things of this world, we know better that it was rather as it is also written, that with God He was slain before the foundation of the world. The contradiction then...is not of the word, but of the world...which is passing away.

This is the difference that I am pointing out...and indeed, it takes the renewing of ones mind to drop those things common to this world and become as Christ in God. Nonetheless, this by God is "all truth" of which has been appointed to us during these times.

How nice it would be to actually have all truth sir, but sadly it is yet future. Pro4:18. We are living in the time of the fulfillment of Dan 12:4 however Scott. Jehovah's chariot is moving rapidly, almost difficult for us older ones to keep up.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How nice it would be to actually have all truth sir, but sadly it is yet future. Pro4:18. We are living in the time of the fulfillment of Dan 12:4 however Scott. Jehovah's chariot is moving rapidly, almost difficult for us older ones to keep up.
Oh, but all truth began to be revealed at Pentecost, and more so now...and this is the time of the End. He reigns.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 18:20 KJV
[20] Jesus answered him, I spake openly to the world; I ever taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither the Jews always resort; and in secret have I said nothing.
There was a foundation laid at Calvary. A foundation laid for a new age, and this is where the lamb was slain. Those in Christ are a new creature.

The scripture posted claims that the Jews of Jesus’s time where the world or the age which He was speaking too.

Reactions: APAK

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m beginning to like the theology of the JWs more and more, with one exception,,,, like all other Protestants they still believe they are first century evangelical Jews.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 1:2 KJV
[2] Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m not certain that spiritual discernment is a thing that can be taught? It’s be as teaching someone to speak in tongues.

GEN2REV

May 12, 2021
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what of 'the rest' of that verse? SO many only quote the first half of 2 Peter 3:8. The other half of the verse switches what is being said to make clear that it is NOT saying that One Day = 1,000 years in God's eyes.
There is exactly zero scripture to support that. Rev. 20:1-7 uses a prophetic, symbolic, non-literal description of events, that are even contradicted by the rest of Rev., and requires other scripture to confirm what it appears to say. That confirming scripture does not exist.
This is not a prophetic description of an event, it is a historical record. It is literal.
Yes, asking people to take dictation from God is a circus sideshow. Discernment of the Holy Spirit is absolutely legit, BUT all scripture requires other scripture to confirm, explain and define its meaning.

That is one of the paramount purposes for God creating the Bible and that is part of the inherent dynamics of its use.

1. Many different authors.
2. Most living at very different times in history.
3. All telling the same story.
4. All confirming the same events, past, present and future.
5. All MUST confirm (to a significant degree) any prophetic, symbolic material for the translation and understanding to stand in alignment with God's Word.

Rev. 20? Not even close.

Scott A. is correct in his premise for this thread. The Bible, as a whole, does not support the literal interpretation of any 1,000 year prophecies.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And what of 'the rest' of that verse? SO many only quote the first half of 2 Peter 3:8. The other half of the verse switches what is being said to make clear that it is NOT saying that One Day = 1,000 years in God's eyes.
There is exactly zero scripture to support that. Rev. 20:1-7 uses a prophetic, symbolic, non-literal description of events, that are even contradicted by the rest of Rev., and requires other scripture to confirm what it appears to say. That confirming scripture does not exist.
This is not a prophetic description of an event, it is a historical record. It is literal.
Yes, asking people to take dictation from God is a circus sideshow. Discernment of the Holy Spirit is absolutely legit, BUT all scripture requires other scripture to confirm, explain and define its meaning.

That is one of the paramount purposes for God creating the Bible and that is part of the inherent dynamics of its use.

1. Many different authors.
2. Most living at very different times in history.
3. All telling the same story.
4. All confirming the same events, past, present and future.
5. All MUST confirm (to a significant degree) any prophetic, symbolic material for the translation and understanding to stand in alignment with God's Word.

Rev. 20? Not even close.

Scott A. is correct in his premise for this thread. The Bible, as a whole, does not support the literal interpretation of any 1,000 year prophecies.
So you are an Amillennialist/Preterist or Partial Preterist. Okay.