The Law binds that, by which the Law may be fulfilled - that's the Law! (selah)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Hi there,

So the curse of the Law, is that it binds us before we are ready; because we are abandoned in our sins, the Law comes to us as something that reminds us we are abject, cursed, not at liberty. But we do not need to stay that way. Christ paid the price: for the Law to be fulfilled. But how does it do this (how does the price redeem us from the curse of the Law?)?

The price paid, enables us to see where we are in the Law, what for and to whom. Typically we are in the Law on Earth, for the Love of God and to His servant. What is powerful about this, is that we do not lose our place in the Law, simply because we are tested by it. The truth is that the Law, binds what is needed to fulfil the Law, that we fulfil it! How is this possible, if what we need is bound? The answer is faith: we have the faith to take what is bound by the Law and to do what it asks. This is fulfilling the Law.

Now you might be wondering, "what has this to do with Grace? Since Grace frees us from the Law?" The answer is that point of Grace is refined by the Law, no longer do we react to the ordinance of the Law as burdensome, but we lean in to Grace that that which is bound by the Law - for the sake of fulfilling it - might be all the more evident, might cause us all the more to flourish. Grace on its own is great and frees us from the Law, to no longer suffer for the letter (of the Law - let the reader take note); but Grace receiving what is bound by the Law, to release the bond in gradual faith, according to the truth which is bound within it, empowers us in spirit and in truth, and so is greater Grace. What then does Grace compel of us?

Knowing that we have the truth at heart, of what is bound by the Law, we are loosed to face freely through Greater Grace. This includes the Cross. So it is that we face our Cross freely through Greater Grace. In other words, because of the Freedom of Grace in the Law (not out of it) we can no longer be dissuaded not to face our cross, or to turn away. Just as Jesus caused the soldiers to fall in the night, so the Devil's army in our lives comes to fall, when we have the Greater Faith (because of the Greater Grace). This is power. The Devil does not retrace his steps, to where he feared God. If we have the Devil on the back foot, we can surely overcome him!

So ask yourself "what is the Law? what is bound by the Law? And what is Grace within what is bound by the Law?" If you have answers to these questions, you will have matured your faith a great deal - perhaps not abounding straight away, but the seeds of obedience will be there. It is basically about making the Law a matter of positive stress, on the basis of a conversion of the soul that reaches out in sin, to the Law, not to make an end of it, but to become that which the Law can acquit, with the life won by the Lord's Sacrifice on the Cross.

I hope this has been of some encouragement to you.

God bless.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi there,

So the curse of the Law, is that it binds us before we are ready; because we are abandoned in our sins, the Law comes to us as something that reminds us we are abject, cursed, not at liberty. But we do not need to stay that way. Christ paid the price: for the Law to be fulfilled. But how does it do this (how does the price redeem us from the curse of the Law?)?
What do you mean? The Law "binds us before we are ready?"

1) We are not under the Law. The Law was for OT Israel, but the Law ended, as signified by the tearing of the veil of the Temple when Jesus was crucified. Even more, Jesus said the temple structure itself would be destroyed, well after it had shown itself incapable of delivering Israel.

2) The Law did not prevent Israel from living under that covenant and keeping the requirements of the Law. The Law upheld the curse that Man could not undo the curse of death, and needed Christ's atonement to be liberated from the curse of death. This did not mean that Israel could not obey the Law, even if it only led to Jesus and could not, of itself, obtain Eternal Life for them.
Now you might be wondering, "what has this to do with Grace? Since Grace frees us from the Law?" The answer is that point of Grace is refined by the Law, no longer do we react to the ordinance of the Law as burdensome, but we lean in to Grace that that which is bound by the Law - for the sake of fulfilling it - might be all the more evident, might cause us all the more to flourish.
No, we are not under the Law at all. Paul was claiming that the purpose of the Law was not to save us for Eternal Life, but to point us to Christ who alone could win for us Eternal Life.

Paul stated that the Law was burdensome because it restricted Israel's life, their having to display a need to deal with their sins. 613 requirements is a burden, particularly when the answer to this renders all of these things unnecessary!

All that is necessary now--now that Christ has provided himself an atonement for us, is to live in him, since all of the requirements for our atonement were met in Christ, and not in Israel's obedience to the Law.
Grace on its own is great and frees us from the Law, to no longer suffer for the letter (of the Law - let the reader take note); but Grace receiving what is bound by the Law, to release the bond in gradual faith, according to the truth which is bound within it, empowers us in spirit and in truth, and so is greater Grace. What then does Grace compel of us?
The "letter of the Law" refers not to perfunctory observances of the Law, but rather, to the explicit requirements of the entire Law--all 613 or so demands. So Grace does not obliviate what the letter of the Law required, which was complete commitment to the entire Law.

Rather, grace relieves us of our debt to meet the conditions necessary for Eternal Life, which the Law only served to accomplish by pointing Israel to Christ. All of the requirements of the Law were intended to show Israel their need to have Christ atone for their sins.
Knowing that we have the truth at heart, of what is bound by the Law, we are loosed to face freely through Greater Grace. This includes the Cross. So it is that we face our Cross freely through Greater Grace. In other words, because of the Freedom of Grace in the Law (not out of it) we can no longer be dissuaded not to face our cross, or to turn away.
We are liberated from Israel's requirement to obey the Law of Moses. We are not liberated from the Moral laws of God, which from the beginning required Man to live in the image and likeness of God. You are not doing well by directing Christians to live by the Law of Moses, if that's what you're doing?

Gottservant

Oct 19, 2022
Greensborough
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What do you mean? The Law "binds us before we are ready?"

1) We are not under the Law. The Law was for OT Israel, but the Law ended, as signified by the tearing of the veil of the Temple when Jesus was crucified. Even more, Jesus said the temple structure itself would be destroyed, well after it had shown itself incapable of delivering Israel.
[...]
You are talking about Jewish Law, which is fine; but I am talking about the Law as a spiritual state of mind, a power of loosing and binding which Grace in Jesus Christ gave us.

You are saying "ordinary Grace is sufficient, to fulfil any specific law" which is true; but what I am trying to point you to is a "Greater Grace", which takes as its foundation that which is bound in the Law. Can you see that? Can you see you are concerning yourself with loosing yourself from the Law? Whereas I am concerning myself with binding in the Law?

You mistake binding in the Law, with failing to live by Grace, but as I have tried to show: this is not true! For what is bound in the Law, does not remain under the Law, but is reserved in Peace despite the Law. If it is kept apart from the Law, as a seed is planted, then the fruit of the Law will be found in the Earth where the seed dies, but the fruit of the Spirit will be found as the seed breaks through the surface where the Law was. Under the Law is equivalent with under the ground, freed by Grace is equivalent with the Light of the Spirit above the ground.

Basically I am saying "Stop taking the Law by which I see what is bound by the Law, away from me in the name of Grace, which does not fulfil the Law" - that is false Grace? If I want to do the works of the Law, that my spirit may be established, do you not sin, by hindering me? I may never do the works of the Law well, but if by them I see what is bound in the Law (apart from the Law) then both the Law and the Spirit have a part by which neither one on their own can fulfil? Which is good!