The "like manner" of Acts 1:9-11

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One last thought. How much we make what He said and did validate our own thoughts concerning “His body”. But consider Luke 22:18 For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Is that His validation He will drink wine when the kingdom of God shall come. Some proof we all will have physical bodies Within the kingdom of God which require drinking to sustain the body? of course not...He is speaking of drinking of a higher more sustaining drink “the fruit of the vine.”
John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
I agree 100%.
As I have said, that our salvation and redemption, is a twofold process.
1. We who are born again of His Holy Spirit, while alive in these "flesh and blood" bodies of mortality, 2. are waiting in faith believing ,for the Glorious appearing of Jesus from Heaven, whereby we shall inherit His Immortality, in the resurrection of the quick and the dead.
First, we are saved/sealed by His Holy Spiriy, unto the day of redemption.
Second, we are redeemed in the Day of God

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And He is in the flesh now. That is clear from the King James Version.

Christ died once for all time concerning sins, a righteous person for unrighteous ones, that he might lead you to God, he being put to death in the flesh, but being made alive in the spirit." —1 Pet. 3:18, NW.[ "by the Spirit,” KJ; “in the spirit,” RS, NE, Dy, JB].” (At his resurrection from the dead, Jesus was brought forth with a spirit body. In the Greek text the words “flesh” and “spirit” are put in contrast to each other, and both are in the dative case; so, if a translator uses the rendering “by the spirit” he should also consistently say “by the flesh,” or if he uses “in the flesh” he should also say “in the spirit.”) The point is that today Jesus is a powerful spiritual person because at his resurrection he was rewarded with immortality and inherited incorruption. No one awards God with immortality nor does he inherit incorruption, The Only True God Jehovah has always had immortality and incorruption.

Last edited:

Steve Owen

Oct 13, 2019
Exmouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No, you make the same assumptions that have been made for thousands of years, believing only a part of what is written while contradicting the rest, and not reconciling all truth.

"Flesh and bones", as it is with all the elements of this world are destine to be "destroyed with fervent heat and with fire." Such elements "return to the dust" and are destroyed, and only "the spirit returns to God who gave it."

You have not reconciled all the scriptures.
Are you denying the truth of Luke 24:39? Did the Lord Jesus depart visibly? Bodily?
Yes indeed, the 'heavens will pass away with a great noise and the elements will melt with fervent heat,' but nonetheless, 'we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.' And on which we shall dwell in bodies which are 'conformed to His glorious body [the resurrection body in which He returned to heaven], according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.'

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you denying the truth of Luke 24:39? Did the Lord Jesus depart visibly? Bodily?
Yes indeed, the 'heavens will pass away with a great noise and the elements will melt with fervent heat,' but nonetheless, 'we, according to His promise, look for new heavens and a new earth in which righteousness dwells.' And on which we shall dwell in bodies which are 'conformed to His glorious body [the resurrection body in which He returned to heaven], according to the working by which He is able even to subdue all things to Himself.'
"Depart visibly? Bodily?" --Yes! But to say that He arrived in heaven that way, is not biblical.

To say so would be to deny each of the scriptures I quoted. That's not good enough. For the whole truth, you need to reconcile all that is written, not just pick out the parts that seems right to you. Remember: "There is a way that seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death." Proverbs 14:12 The flesh dies.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the days of Lot in Sodom and Gamorah, angels that looked like men spoke him, and he them.
We must never assume that which is spirit cannot be flesh! We barely know enough to say it can't be done!! The biblical evidence shows that does happen. BUt as to a NEW creation of Immortality?
That is ONLY Christ and no one else!

I don’t know. Always thought angels were not to be worshipped.
Joshua 5:14-15 And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? [15] And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

Exodus 3:3-6 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt. [4] And when the Lord saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I. [5] And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. [6] Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
then who is this? Joshua 5:13-15 And it came to pass, when Joshua was by Jericho, that he lifted up his eyes and looked, and, behold, there stood a man over against him with his sword drawn in his hand: and Joshua went unto him, and said unto him, Art thou for us, or for our adversaries? [14] And he said, Nay; but as captain of the host of the Lord am I now come. And Joshua fell on his face to the earth, and did worship, and said unto him, What saith my lord unto his servant? [15] And the captain of the Lord's host said unto Joshua, Loose thy shoe from off thy foot; for the place whereon thou standest is holy. And Joshua did so.

Is it not the same captain here Hebrews 2:10 For it became him, for whom are all things, and by whom are all things, in bringing many sons unto glory, to make the captain of their salvation perfect through sufferings.
Going back to your original reply. What you are hoping for to find about that "man with sword", was not God the Son in the flesh. Jesus could not come for any other purpose but for to be "The Lamb of God, that TAKETH AWAY the sin of the world".
Therefore, that man in the book of Joshua 5 was definitely an angel.

We have this scripture that confirm's God's mission of Sacrifice for God's Son:
Hebrews 10[5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
> Thus also revealing, that prior to Jesus' incarnation, He was always with God as spirit.

However, after His Crucifixion, that was no longer the case! His Sacrifice, being the second Person of the Godhead, is now permanently identified as "the firstborn from the dead", in the NEW creation called His "many brethren".
Jesus is God the Son, but He is also "the second Adam", now Immortal and Glorified. So shall He be throughout all of Eternity. THAT IS the true depth of His Sacrifice!!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Going back to your original reply. What you are hoping for to find about that "man with sword", was not God the Son in the flesh. Jesus could not come for any other purpose but for to be "The Lamb of God, that TAKETH AWAY the sin of the world".
Therefore, that man in the book of Joshua 5 was definitely an angel.
Doesn’t matter only was responding about your saying it was an angel. Maybe you are right and it was. But still it (for me) doesn’t take away that it was Him revealed in the OT. Have you ever thought of their having the OT before Christ come and every thing there had told exactly what He would do. Abraham taking Isaac up the hill and putting him on the altar. Even Samson Judges 16:2-3 And it was told the Gazites, saying, Samson is come hither. And they compassed him in, and laid wait for him all night in the gate of the city, and were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him. [3] And Samson lay till midnight, and arose at midnight, and took the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, and went away with them, bar and all, and put them upon his shoulders, and carried them up to the top of an hill that is before Hebron.

Declaring the Son (a ram caught in the thicket) will be taken up the hill to be put upon the altar. Who takes the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, ...putting them Upon his shoulders, and then He carried them up the hill. Same as the burning bush on fire but NOT consumed, and God speaks out from it. Same as the “I am the captain”. Only concern is making it some random angel when obviously it was God giving the gospel of the Revelation of Jesus Christ long before it was made manifest who would bring it all to pass. The angel of the Lord, that I’d agree with.

We have this scripture that confirm's God's mission of Sacrifice for God's Son:
Hebrews 10[5] Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:
> Thus also revealing, that prior to Jesus' incarnation, He was always with God as spirit.

Get what you are saying. But could also say “a body has thou prepared me” could mean all those crucified with Him. Even now here there are debates in “prepared before the foundation of the world”. Same as in the OT when they looked into the furnace and saw four, not three. One like unto the son of man. The men unbound, free, WALKING in the fire unharmed. You say it proves He was never flesh in “a body has thou prepared me” only it says He took on the “likeness of sinful flesh” lowering Himself. Yet also says: I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Revelation 22:13 (who says Alpha and Omega is only letters?)

However, after His Crucifixion, that was no longer the case! His Sacrifice, being the second Person of the Godhead, is now permanently identified as "the firstborn from the dead", in the NEW creation called His "many brethren".
Jesus is God the Son, but He is also "the second Adam", now Immortal and Glorified. So shall He be throughout all of Eternity. THAT IS the true depth of His Sacrifice!!
Yes, as we have born the image of the first Adam(corrupted), we also shall bear the image of the second Adam(incorruptible). Question is what is the image of the second Adam? Which maybe leads us back on topic “The "like manner" of Acts 1:9-11”

Last edited:

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doesn’t matter only was responding about your saying it was an angel. Maybe you are right and it was. But still it (for me) doesn’t take away that it was Him revealed in the OT. Have you ever thought of their having the OT before Christ come and every thing there had told exactly what He would do. Abraham taking Isaac up the hill and putting him on the altar. Even Samson Judges 16:2-3 And it was told the Gazites, saying, Samson is come hither. And they compassed him in, and laid wait for him all night in the gate of the city, and were quiet all the night, saying, In the morning, when it is day, we shall kill him. [3] And Samson lay till midnight, and arose at midnight, and took the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, and went away with them, bar and all, and put them upon his shoulders, and carried them up to the top of an hill that is before Hebron.

Declaring the Son (a ram caught in the thicket) will be taken up the hill to be put upon the altar. Who takes the doors of the gate of the city, and the two posts, ...putting them Upon his shoulders, and then He carried them up the hill. Same as the burning bush on fire but NOT consumed, and God speaks out from it. Same as the “I am the captain”. Only concern is making it some random angel when obviously it was God giving the gospel of the Revelation of Jesus Christ long before it was made manifest who would bring it all to pass. The angel of the Lord, that I’d agree with.

Get what you are saying. But could also say “a body has thou prepared me” could mean all those crucified with Him. Even now here there are debates in “prepared before the foundation of the world”. Same as in the OT when they looked into the furnace and saw four, not three. One like unto the son of man. The men unbound, free, WALKING in the fire unharmed. You say it proves He was never flesh in “a body has thou prepared me” only it says He took on the “likeness of sinful flesh” lowering Himself. Yet also says: I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last. Revelation 22:13 (who says Alpha and Omega is only letters?)

Yes, as we have born the image of the first Adam(corrupted), we also shall bear the image of the second Adam(incorruptible). Question is what is the image of the second Adam? Which maybe leads us back on topic “The "like manner" of Acts 1:9-11”
Through faith, you are now sealed/saved by the Holy Spirit, UNTO THE DAY of redemption, but are you uncorruptible now (and be honest)?

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VIJ,
I NEVER said that Jesus was not flesh!!
He came to us in our form of "flesh and blood" , and then resurrected into "flesh and bone" , of which PROVES that He is NOT a spirit!!

Please do not confuse what I have said, with those who are out there DENYING it.
Thanks, EB

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Through faith, you are now sealed/saved by the Holy Spirit, UNTO THE DAY of redemption, but are you uncorruptible now (and be honest)?

my husband and I was talking about this last night. What does “safe” or “saved” mean to me. He asked “are you safe”. I have a hope of salvation to be revealed. What that means to me is without Christ we all would be out of the way, full of cursing, full of poison and perish out of the way. All would perish. “A hope of Salvation” to me means a hope that to the glory of Christ there will be that which remains and does not perish.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
VIJ,
I NEVER said that Jesus was not flesh!!
He came to us in our form of "flesh and blood" , and then resurrected into "flesh and bone" , of which PROVES that He is NOT a spirit!!

Please do not confuse what I have said, with those who are out there DENYING it.
Thanks, EB

I never thought you were saying such. Neither am I.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
my husband and I was talking about this last night. What does “safe” or “saved” mean to me. He asked “are you safe”. I have a hope of salvation to be revealed. What that means to me is without Christ we all would be out of the way, full of cursing, full of poison and perish out of the way. All would perish. “A hope of Salvation” to me means a hope that to the glory of Christ there will be that which remains and does not perish.
Let this be the resolve of your question, about you being saved, through faith in Jesus Christ:
1 John 5[13] These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I never thought you were saying such. Neither am I.
I must have misread what you wrote :( Sorry!

If more Christians would study their bibles more,
by what the Holy Spirit teaches instead of denominations or cults, they would learn that our literal bodies of flesh are now the temple of God.

Jesus revealed that when speaking to the Jews about the Temple building, that it was His physical body that was going to raised in 3 days. If Jesus' body then was the temple of the Living God, who are we to say that it still isn't so after His Ascension.

God is a spirit, and therefore chooses no place to dwell, except within His people. Jesus is now Immortal, and so shall we also be immortal, upon His visible return.
John 2:18-22.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Acts 1:11
"Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”​

Now it seems reasonable to determine that the acts of God whom is spirit would in "like manner", be spiritual or in spirit. This would be according to Christ's own clarification that, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:6

How is it then, that so many (nearly all) people read of Jesus' ascension where He delivers on His committing only His spirit to the Father, consider the "like manner" to be the likeness of the flesh and what is common to this world...when the subject is the kingdom of God which is not of this world? What is the likeness to the things of the flesh and the things of this world?

I tell you--there is none!

It would appear that few have actually taken to heart that those born of the flesh, in addition to the need to be born again of the spirit of God...also need to develop a new perspective, a kingdom perspective, the "renewing of your mind" to spiritual things...and let that fleshly and worldly perspective die once and for all with that "old man."

And then get ready...because the word of God will take on a whole new meaning "in spirit and in truth!"
Hello @ScottA,

In Luke 24:39, our risen Lord told His disciples that He was not a spirit, but 'flesh and bones', and the members of the church which is His Body, are spoken of in Ephesians 5:30, as being members 'of His flesh and of His bones'. When He ascended into heaven, he did so in that body which comprised of 'flesh and bones' (KJV)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: Earburner

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @ScottA,

'Behold, I shew you a mystery;
.. We shall not all sleep,
(die)
.... but we shall all be changed,
...... In a moment,
........ in the twinkling of an eye,
.......... at the last trump:
for the trumpet shall sound,
.. and the dead shall be raised incorruptible,
... and we shall be changed.
For this corruptible must put on incorruption,
.. and this mortal must put on immortality.
So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption,
.. and this mortal shall have put on immortality,
.... then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written,
...... Death is swallowed up in victory.'

(1 Corinthians 15:51-54)

* This was the hope of that company of believers to whom Paul wrote at that time. For whom the possibility of it's accomplishment could very well have been in their lifetime, had Israel repented and acknowledged the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah and King. (Acts 3:18-20)

* For the church which is the Body of Christ, there is no trumpet blast spoken of, but when He (appears), or is manifested in glory, they will (appear), or be manifested with Him in glory (Colossians 3:4).

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @ScottA,

In Luke 24:39, our risen Lord told His disciples that He was not a spirit, but 'flesh and bones', and the members of the church which is His Body, are spoken of in Ephesians 5:30, as being members 'of His flesh and of His bones'. When He ascended into heaven, he did so in that body which comprised of 'flesh and bones' (KJV)

Praise God!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi @ScottA,

'Behold, I shew you a mystery;
.. We shall not all sleep,
(die)
.... but we shall all be changed,
...... In a moment,
........ in the twinkling of an eye,
.......... at the last trump:
for the trumpet shall sound,
.. and the dead shall be raised incorruptible,
... and we shall be changed.
For this corruptible must put on incorruption,
.. and this mortal must put on immortality.
So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption,
.. and this mortal shall have put on immortality,
.... then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written,
...... Death is swallowed up in victory.'

(1 Corinthians 15:51-54)

* This was the hope of that company of believers to whom Paul wrote at that time. For whom the possibility of it's accomplishment could very well have been in their lifetime, had Israel repented and acknowledged the Lord Jesus Christ as their Messiah and King. (Acts 3:18-20)

* For the church which is the Body of Christ, there is no trumpet blast spoken of, but when He (appears), or is manifested in glory, they will (appear), or be manifested with Him in glory (Colossians 3:4).

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Paul also said, "you do not sow that body that shall be."

The common mistake and misunderstanding that is made, is that when Christ laid down His life and took it up again in the flesh, it was not that resurrection. His rising from the dead in the flesh was only the manifestation of His having concurred death "on earth as it is in heaven." But that does not make void the scriptures that say that the flesh "returns to the dust" and is "destroyed by fervent heat and with fire", and "cannot inherit the kingdom of God" and that it is not "that body that shall be."

So, rather than the tit for tat arguments that we followers of Christ have pitting one scripture against another (as if God could be against Himself), we have the responsibility of reconciling all scripture, which Paul revealed as "rightly dividing the word of truth"; that is, dividing or cutting a straight line between the things of this world and the things of the kingdom. In this case, that means rightly dividing Christ's rising from the dead in the flesh, from His ascension and that resurrection of prophecy. That difference was explained with Lazarus, whom Jesus raised up in the flesh, which was not the resurrection (John 11). In which case, we cannot say that body is that body that is resurrected, when the scriptures clearly say that it is not...even if it has been misunderstood and taught in error for 2000 years.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@ScottA,

You are not going to be able to convince anyone of your pov who has the Spirit of God.

You might be able to confirm the beliefs of someone who has the spirit of antichrist...