The "like manner" of Acts 1:9-11

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 1:11
"Now when He had spoken these things, while they watched, He was taken up, and a cloud received Him out of their sight. And while they looked steadfastly toward heaven as He went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel, who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”​

Now it seems reasonable to determine that the acts of God whom is spirit would in "like manner", be spiritual or in spirit. This would be according to Christ's own clarification that, "That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." John 3:6

How is it then, that so many (nearly all) people read of Jesus' ascension where He delivers on His committing only His spirit to the Father, consider the "like manner" to be the likeness of the flesh and what is common to this world...when the subject is the kingdom of God which is not of this world? What is the likeness to the things of the flesh and the things of this world?

I tell you--there is none!

It would appear that few have actually taken to heart that those born of the flesh, in addition to the need to be born again of the spirit of God...also need to develop a new perspective, a kingdom perspective, the "renewing of your mind" to spiritual things...and let that fleshly and worldly perspective die once and for all with that "old man."

And then get ready...because the word of God will take on a whole new meaning "in spirit and in truth!"

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ is come in the flesh (1 John 4:1-3, 2 John 1:7).

Are you going to report this post as being offensive?
If you won't I won't.

But I say that because, to be honest in replying to your comment and question I will need to be uncomfortably critical:

You would have to be greatly ignorant to assume that someone speaking of the second coming, is not in fact witnessing that Jesus has already come in the flesh. He has.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you won't I won't.

But I say that because, to be honest in replying to your comment and question I will need to be uncomfortably critical: You would have to be greatly ignorant to assume that someone speaking of the second coming, is not in fact witnessing that Jesus has already come in the flesh. He has.
And He is in the flesh now. That is clear from the King James Version.

Reactions: michaelvpardo

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And He is in the flesh now. That is clear from the King James Version.
What is clear, is that He gave His body to His church, saying, "Take, eat, this my body.", that He only committed His spirit to the Father, and that "flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God", etc..

So, no, biblically you are wrong.

PS, And I am not going to play this loonytunes game with you again. We have been down this road way too much already. So if you want to continue spamming the thread -- yes, perhaps I will report you.

Reactions: Taken

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lest you report me again I am not going to contend with you here on this issue.

Suffice it to say that I believe that the following verses are true:

1Jo 4:1, Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
1Jo 4:2, Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:
1Jo 4:3, And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.

2Jo 1:7, For many deceivers are entered into the world, who confess not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh. This is a deceiver and an antichrist.

Because I don't think that they can ban me for posting scripture.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How is it then, that so many (nearly all) people read of Jesus' ascension where He delivers on His committing only His spirit to the Father, consider the "like manner" to be the likeness of the flesh and what is common to this world...when the subject is the kingdom of God which is not of this world? What is the likeness to the things of the flesh and the things of this world?
Clearly you have a very serious misunderstanding about many things mentioned here.

1. Christ committed His spirit to the Father at the cross, but ascended to Heaven in His resurrected, supernatural and glorified body (with His soul and spirit within it). So in like manner He will also descend to earth from Heaven in a human body which has been perfected. He will literally stand once again on the Mount of Olives, and it will split into two parts.

2. The Kingdom of God is not of this world at the moment, but there will be a literal, visible, tangible, physical and spiritual Kingdom of God on earth during the Millennium and afterwards. The kingdoms of the world will become the Kingdom of our God and Christ.

3. The "things of the flesh" (meaning that which is sinful) are excluded from the Kingdom of God, but glorified *spiritual* bodies of flesh and bone are not excluded. Study 1 Corinthians 15.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3. The "things of the flesh" (meaning that which is sinful) are excluded from the Kingdom of God, but glorified *spiritual* bodies of flesh and bone are not excluded. Study 1 Corinthians 15.

Luk 24:39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly you have a very serious misunderstanding about many things mentioned here.

1. Christ committed His spirit to the Father at the cross, but ascended to Heaven in His resurrected, supernatural and glorified body (with His soul and spirit within it). So in like manner He will also descend to earth from Heaven in a human body which has been perfected. He will literally stand once again on the Mount of Olives, and it will split into two parts.

2. The Kingdom of God is not of this world at the moment, but there will be a literal, visible, tangible, physical and spiritual Kingdom of God on earth during the Millennium and afterwards. The kingdoms of the world will become the Kingdom of our God and Christ.

1. The scriptures do not say that. You have added to the scriptures and have come up with your own understanding. We were warned not to do that.

2. New heavens and new earth, but unlike this world, literal as God is literal. Only after this earth is "destroyed with fervent heat and with fire."

3. "Glorified *spiritual* bodies" is not biblical, nor is "flesh and bone" (the elements of this world that are to be "destroyed").​

Strike three, you're out!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The scriptures do not say that. You have added to the scriptures and have come up with your own understanding. We were warned not to do that.
I have rightly divided the Word of Truth, which you have wrongly divided. Scriptures are to be interpreted properly. Interpretation does NOT mean adding to Scripture. It does mean explaining Scripture on the basis of all that is written in the Bible.

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1. The scriptures do not say that. You have added to the scriptures and have come up with your own understanding. We were warned not to do that.

2. New heavens and new earth, but unlike this world, literal as God is literal. Only after this earth is "destroyed with fervent heat and with fire."

3. "Glorified *spiritual* bodies" is not biblical, nor is "flesh and bone" (the elements of this world that are to be "destroyed").​

Strike three, you're out!
At great length, I have argued one on one with you, about the above #3, in my thread: "The Rest of The Dead".

Fortunately, I am in agreement with the bible, that you fall into a specific type of people that "shall come in the last days".
2 Peter 3:3-7

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Luk 24:39, Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.
And this one verse totally demolishes Scott's position. Jesus plainly said that He is not merely a spirit after His resurrection. He has a body of flesh and bones. And this is how the bodies of the saints will be. Yet they are called "spiritual bodies" because they transcend earthly limitations.

1 CORINTHIANS 15: THE RESURRECTION OF THE SAINTS

INCORRUPTIBLE = NOT SUBJECT TO DECAY
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:

GLORIOUS AND POWERFUL BODIES
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:

"SPIRITUAL" BODIES -- TRANSCENDING LIMITATIONS
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 6:16 KJV
[16] And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them ; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Are you guys saying that I have a flesh and bone man walking around inside of me?
Tecarta Bible

Reactions: ScottA

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[16] And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them ; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Are you guys saying that I have a flesh and bone man walking around inside of me?
Tecarta Bible
The Spirit of Christ is Jesus Christ, plain and simple, the answer to your question.

He is also come in the flesh, as the Son (2nd Person of the Trinity).

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have rightly divided the Word of Truth, which you have wrongly divided. Scriptures are to be interpreted properly. Interpretation does NOT mean adding to Scripture. It does mean explaining Scripture on the basis of all that is written in the Bible.
No...your #1 point came with your own reservations, your own understanding, saying "but" then adding your own words which do not agree with the scriptures. Instead of embracing the perfect spirit only nature of God and the future of men born again by His spirit, you have done all that you can to include the flesh.

You have taken liberty where none was given. Just because God has made manifest the things of this world to reveal what is unseen to the fallen, does not mean that He has revealed His plan to create a hybrid superhuman to enter heaven and the spiritual realm of God. No, Jesus did not advance mankind by evolving into something supernatural--He lowered Himself, and included the witness of Him returning to the Father and to the perfection of the spirit of God. All that He has done has been to save that which was lost, to make perfect what became less than perfect as He is perfect, which is only spirit having no beggarly earthly elements. Only the flesh in a man would try to enter the kingdom of God with his flesh, only the man of flesh would even think that. I might have said, only Satan would do such a thing...but I am trying to be kind--and still be true to the fact that God is perfectly holy being spirit only, and intends to keep it that way.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Tecarta Bible
Plainly stated here He says I, this should clue you in on who/what He(God is)???

Reactions: ScottA

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In them??
That is a great observation!

It is the body of Christ that is His body, his flesh in the world until the end. Yes, it could even be said that "Christ in us" is that "like manner."