The likeness of God on his throne

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are very foolish to make ones understanding of God's Word on this point. For in so doing you are the one who can't understand God's Word.
We are told in (John 5:37), by Jesus Christ no less, "And the Father himself, which hath sent me, hath borne witness of me. Ye have neither heared his voice at any time, nor seen his shape." God does have a 'shape'. And that shape is in the form of man. And Jesus Christ is the express image of His Person in every way. That includes 'form' and 'shape'.
We are in the shape we are because God is that shape. God would never create man in another shape than that which He knew Jesus Christ wouldtake the form of.
Just because God has form and shape does not mean He is not Spirit. What foolish thinking.
Stranger
Ummm, talk about "foolish" thinking.

The Son came down to take the form of man because God in Heaven is NOT in the form of man (Phil. 2:7).
Jesus said that the Father is Spirit. He didn't say that that the Father "has" a spirit. He lacks a body entirely.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.....The scripture defines his omnipresence, not me, and he is everywhere present by his holy spirit, his "eyes" as the prophet Zechariah plainly stated. It is by his "eyes", the third part of his being that he see's all, knows all, and is everywhere present.
WRONG.
God IS Spirit (John 4:24). He doesn't HAVE a Spirit.
....I find your lack of exegesis astounding, but what else is new here hey. Just goes to show that there is a difference between someone who just reads the Bible, and someone who STUDIES it, like me.
......And you quoting one liners out of context doesn't prove your point, typical behavior from many.
.....Never said he was a 'man', and neither did Ezekiel. What Ezekiel actually said is that he had the appearance of an all consuming fire with a tangible FORM, and that form, that shape just so happens to be similar to his image bearers. That doesn't mean he draws breath like a man, him being pure spirit.
God is NOT a ball of fire. that is an Anthropomorphism (sorry for the big word again).
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Zecheriah, Daniel, et al - ALL described Him as the Great "Refiner" and use the symbol of His refining "Fire" over and over.

God doesn't have feathers and He doesn't have nostrils. Feathers are on birds - NOT Spirit. Nostrils are for breathing out of and Spirit doesn't breathe.
.....Right now, my only problem is in assuming that you are as half as competent in understanding scripture as you make yourself out to be. Perhaps you should try casting your catholic dogma aside for awhile so that you can actually start getting a real understanding of who God really is and how he operates.
Catholic dogma?? Most Protestants agree with the fact that God is Spirit and has no tangible form.
YOUR heresy is shared by a relatively small portion of Protestants. Unlike YOU and Stranger and few others here they haven't invented a new "god" like YOU . . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Son came down to take the form of man because God in Heaven is NOT in the form of man (Phil. 2:7).
Jesus said that the Father is Spirit. He didn't say that that the Father "has" a spirit. He lacks a body entirely.

Again, just because God has form and shape does not mean He is not Spirit. (John 5:37) is clear that God does have form and shape. And Jesus Christ is the very image of God in every way. Form and shape included. (Heb. 1:3)

That God did not have a physical body, true. That doesn't mean He doesn't have shape or form. And God does have a physical body now in Jesus Christ.

Jesus said God is Spirit. Jesus said the Father has shape. Both are true.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, just because God has form and shape does not mean He is not Spirit. (John 5:37) is clear that God does have form and shape. And Jesus Christ is the very image of God in every way. Form and shape included. (Heb. 1:3)
That's NOT what Heb. 1:3 says at all.
It simply says:
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

A "Person" is not bound by what they LOOK like.
The Holy Spirit is a "Person". What does HE look like??
That God did not have a physical body, true. That doesn't mean He doesn't have shape or form. And God does have a physical body now in Jesus Christ.
Jesus said God is Spirit. Jesus said the Father has shape. Both are true.
And I already touched on the Son having a body in post #13.
HOWEVER, you have stated before that Jesus DOESN'T have a physical body anymore and ascended to the Father in Spirit ONLY.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's NOT what Heb. 1:3 says at all.
It simply says:
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;

A "Person" is not bound by what they LOOK like.
The Holy Spirit is a "Person". What does HE look like??

And I already touched on the Son having a body in post #13.
HOWEVER, you have stated before that Jesus DOESN'T have a physical body anymore and ascended to the Father in Spirit ONLY.

That is exactly what (Heb. 1:3) says. Jesus Christ is the 'express image' of his (God's) person.

The Holy Spirit, The Father, The Son, look like Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the express image of the person of God.

I have never said Jesus doesn't have a physical body anymore and that He ascended only in Spirit. Where did you come up with that?

Explain away (John 5:37)?

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is exactly what (Heb. 1:3) says. Jesus Christ is the 'express image' of his (God's) person.
The Holy Spirit, The Father, The Son, look like Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is the express image of the person of God.
No that's not what it says. It says the express image of His PERSON.
A body is NOT a person - that's a cadaver . . .
I have never said Jesus doesn't have a physical body anymore and that He ascended only in Spirit. Where did you come up with that?
MY mistake. I thought it was you because this guy ALSO said that God had a form . . .
Explain away (John 5:37)?
It's called "anthropomorphism".
People who don't understand anthropomorphisms are blind to Scripture.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No that's not what it says. It says the express image of His PERSON.
A body is NOT a person - that's a cadaver . . .

MY mistake. I thought it was you because this guy ALSO said that God had a form . . .

It's called "anthropomorphism".
People who don't understand anthropomorphisms are blind to Scripture.

Was a cadaver raised from the dead?

God does have a form. Man is created in the image of God. (Gen. 1:27) This is why man is the 'shape' that he is as man.

(John 5:37) is not an anthropomorphism. Jesus didn't say God had a human shape at this point. He simply said God has shape. Which is what you were denying. Just because God is Spirit, doesn't mean He doesn't have 'shape'.

And, as we see in (Gen. 1:27) that shape is the shape of man.

Then in (Heb. 1:3), we see God made visible in the Person of Jesus Christ. When you look at Jesus you look at the Father. Jesus Christ is the very image of the Father in every way.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was a cadaver raised from the dead?
God does have a form. Man is created in the image of God. (Gen. 1:27) This is why man is the 'shape' that he is as man.
(John 5:37) is not an anthropomorphism. Jesus didn't say God had a human shape at this point. He simply said God has shape. Which is what you were denying. Just because God is Spirit, doesn't mean He doesn't have 'shape'.
And, as we see in (Gen. 1:27) that shape is the shape of man.
Then in (Heb. 1:3), we see God made visible in the Person of Jesus Christ. When you look at Jesus you look at the Father. Jesus Christ is the very image of the Father in every way.
Stranger
To answer your question in RED - YES, a cadaver was raised from the dead.
Jesus's BODY was raised from the dead. A cadaver is a lifeless body. A cadaver is not a full Person.

The rest of your rant is just re-hashed nonsense by a guy who doesn't have a CLUE about anthropomorphisms . . .. . .

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To answer your question in RED - YES, a cadaver was raised from the dead.
Jesus's BODY was raised from the dead. A cadaver is a lifeless body. A cadaver is not a full Person.

The rest of your rant is just re-hashed nonsense by a guy who doesn't have a CLUE about anthropomorphisms . . .. . .

In other words, you have no answer for God having shape. You claimed God did not have form or shape. (Gen. 1:27) and (John 5:37) and (Heb. 1:3) all prove you wrong.

So as usual, you have no response. (John 5:37) concerning the shape of God is not an anthropoomorphism. All that is indicated there concerning shape is that God the Father has shape. Which is what you denied.

Stranger

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In other words, you have no answer for God having shape. You claimed God did not have form or shape. (Gen. 1:27) and (John 5:37) and (Heb. 1:3) all prove you wrong.

So as usual, you have no response. (John 5:37) concerning the shape of God is not an anthropoomorphism. All that is indicated there concerning shape is that God the Father has shape. Which is what you denied.

Stranger
I would like to say something here.

stranger you said that my #1 to your response was incorrect.

see you used the TERM "SHAPE". well what another word for shape? figure and a figure is an "IMAGE".

look up those definitions.

PCY.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
Does that "shape" include feathers or wings??

If NOT - they are simply anthropomorphisms like the verses that say he DOES have feathers and wings (Deut. 32:11, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Psalm 91:4, Jer. 49:22).

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does that "shape" include feathers or wings??

If NOT - they are simply anthropomorphisms like the verses that say he DOES have feathers and wings (Deut. 32:11, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Psalm 91:4, Jer. 49:22).

No, it includes shape. It is not an anthropomorphism. It doesn't matter that anthropomorphisms are used in the Bible. Jesus declaration that the Father has shape is not one.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, it includes shape. It is not an anthropomorphism. It doesn't matter that anthropomorphisms are used in the Bible. Jesus declaration that the Father has shape is not one.

Stranger
Soooo, Deut. 32:11, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Psalm 91:4 and Jer. 49:22 are all lies?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soooo, Deut. 32:11, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Psalm 91:4 and Jer. 49:22 are all lies?

Soooo, againnnnnnn, (John 5:37) is not an anthropomorphism. Does that make me smarter because I ended 'so' with many 'o's? And 'again' with many 'n's? Okkkkkkkk.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soooo, againnnnnnn, (John 5:37) is not an anthropomorphism. Does that make me smarter because I ended 'so' with many 'o's? And 'again' with many 'n's? Okkkkkkkk.

Stranger
Okay - I'll word it differently, since you seem to be having a problem.

If John 5:37 is NOT an anthropomorphism - then what are Deut. 32:11, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Psalm 91:4 and Jer. 49:22??

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay - I'll word it differently, since you seem to be having a problem.

If John 5:37 is NOT an anthropomorphism - then what are Deut. 32:11, Psalm 17:8, Psalm 36:7, Psalm 57:1, 61:4, Psalm 63:7, Psalm 91:4 and Jer. 49:22??

I did not say these other verses you gave were not anthropomorphism's. I said John 5:37 is not.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I did not say these other verses you gave were not anthropomorphism's. I said John 5:37 is not.

Stranger
Ahhh - so the ONLY anthropomorphisms in Scripture are the ones that fit YOUR aberrant beliefs.
Got'cha . . .

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What mind was Paul speaking of here?

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

The Son became incarnated from being His form of God so He could die for our sins.

And if you check with the creation account, God the Father must also have an image for that request for man to be fashioned after.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

So what was Jesus talking about when saying God is Spirit? ( do note, He did not say that the Father is Spirit ) Jesus was changing the places of where people can go to in worshiping God the Father; not to the Temple at Jerusalem nor to the mountains because now, one can go to God the Father anywhere by going to the Son in worship as He is the only way anyone can approach God the Father by now.

That is how in regards to the question about WHERE to go to worship God the Father, it is in that God is Spirit as in not confined to a place and that means any one can come to God the Father anywhere but by the only way of the Son in worship because by exalting the name of the Son in worship to glorify the Son, believers are glorifying God the Father at the same time.

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.