The likeness of God on his throne

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PRECISELY. This is known as "anthropomorphism" - just like John 5:37 and ALL of the other verses that speak of God having "nostrils" and other body parts.

Spirit has NO shape.

Spirit does have shape. Again, since you didn't answer, what is the shape of the believers spirit before his body is resurrected? Is it just like smoke in the breeze wisping away in the air. Does the smoky spirit of one believer get entangled with the smoky spirit of another believer? Whoosh. Who is who?

(John 5:37) is not an anthropomorphism. It is a statement from Christ that God has a voice and has shape. It is not a comparison to, such as your anthropomorphism's.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You know what I am asking and you are being deceptive. Concerning the Lords Supper, why do the priests get to partake of the wine and not the laity? In other words, why do the priests deny the laity the wine and blood of Christ?

Stranger
Because you are being purposely disrespectful - I will answer you like this:
Nobody
drinks "wine" at Mass.

The Priests drinks the Blood of Christ at Communion - and it is ALSO offered to the rest of the congregation.
NOT sure why you think that it isn't . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus testified that no man had seen the Father but He did.
John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.
John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.
That's 2 times that Jesus had declared that He has seen the Father and so not so invisible as a Spirit as you have been misled to believe.
I understand your error, because of how others have applied a verse like this below to mean that the Father is invisible:
Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:
As much as I argue the point that Jesus has an image, and He is not invisible so that means the Father has an image as well, they still cling to invisible as meaning God is Spirit when invisible just means not presently seen at the moment. There is precedent for that application by the verse below about Jesus Christ in Heaven soon to return as the King of kings.

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. 17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

So is Jesus invisible? No. Then that is how I read Colossians 1:15 as not inferring that the Father is invisible, but just not presently seen, and yet for Jesus to be the image of the invisible God that is not presently seen, then the Father has that very image that Jesus has.
You have GOT to be kidding.

Jesus is GOD - so He can see spirit as well as flesh.
He can see Satan, who is ALSO spirit. He can see the Angels who are spirit. Can YOU??

Just because Jesus has limitless power DOESN'T mean that WE do - and so we use anthropopmorphisms to describe God.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spirit does have shape. Again, since you didn't answer, what is the shape of the believers spirit before his body is resurrected? Is it just like smoke in the breeze wisping away in the air. Does the smoky spirit of one believer get entangled with the smoky spirit of another believer? Whoosh. Who is who?

(John 5:37) is not an anthropomorphism. It is a statement from Christ that God has a voice and has shape. It is not a comparison to, such as your anthropomorphism's.

Stranger
Spirit doesn't have shape - and neither does OUR spirit have shape.
God is Spirit but He can take on shape. these are called "Theophanies".

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
You know what I am asking and you are being deceptive. Concerning the Lords Supper, why do the priests get to partake of the wine and not the laity? In other words, why do the priests deny the laity the wine and blood of Christ?

Stranger

they do not deny - they do exactly as Christ commanded "do this is memory of me" - the how, where and when are left to the Church as "whatsoever" thou shall bind shall be bound" - twinc

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have GOT to be kidding.

Jesus is GOD - so He can see spirit as well as flesh.
He can see Satan, who is ALSO spirit. He can see the Angels who are spirit. Can YOU??

Just because Jesus has limitless power DOESN'T mean that WE do - and so we use anthropopmorphisms to describe God.

Since He made a reference to men not having seen the Father, but He did, His word is clear to me.

And He did say that a day will come when we will not need to ask Jesus to ask the Father for us but Jesus will show the Father plainly when we are in Heaven where we can ask the Father Himself.

John 16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. 25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: 27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God. 28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because you are being purposely disrespectful - I will answer you like this:
Nobody
drinks "wine" at Mass.

The Priests drinks the Blood of Christ at Communion - and it is ALSO offered to the rest of the congregation.
NOT sure why you think that it isn't . . .

I'm not being disrespectful. I'm asking a simple question.

Being offered is not the same as drinking. Do the laity get to drink of the wine/blood of Christ?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

What is the shape of the believers spirit after he dies and before his body is raised from the dead? Does it get confused with other spirits who have no shape? A smoky conglomeration of spirits?

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not being disrespectful. I'm asking a simple question.
Being offered is not the same as drinking. Do the laity get to drink of the wine/blood of Christ?
Stranger
What's wrong with you?
I already answered this.

"Being offered" means that they have the choice to drink the Precious Blood of our Lord during Communion.
Nobody is forced to receive Communion.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the shape of the believers spirit after he dies and before his body is raised from the dead? Does it get confused with other spirits who have no shape? A smoky conglomeration of spirits?

Stranger
Another one I already answered:

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since He made a reference to men not having seen the Father, but He did, His word is clear to me.

And He did say that a day will come when we will not need to ask Jesus to ask the Father for us but Jesus will show the Father plainly when we are in Heaven where we can ask the Father Himself.

John 16:24 Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full. 25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: 27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God. 28 I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father.
Men can't see the Father because He is SPIRIT and we are physical beings.
We are NOT like Him yet.

1 John 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men can't see the Father because He is SPIRIT and we are physical beings.
We are NOT like Him yet.

1 John 3:2
Dear friends, now we are children of God, and what we will be has not yet been made known. But we know that when Christ appears, we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is.

How do you rationalize this verse if you claim that only the Son has an image from which man was fashioned after?

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another one I already answered:

Jesus Christ was not talking about a Theophanie in (John 5:37). He simply stated that God has shape, even though God is Spirit. And we are created in His image, including 'shape'.

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ was not talking about a Theophanie in (John 5:37). He simply stated that God has shape, even though God is Spirit. And we are created in His image, including 'shape'.

Stranger
Correct - SORT of.
John 5:37 isn't describing a Theophany - it is using an anthropomorphism.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do you rationalize this verse if you claim that only the Son has an image from which man was fashioned after?

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
He isn't talking about physicality. The Son had not yet been incarnated.

Man is the most different from ALL of the other flora and fauna because we have a free will and the ability to reason.
THIS is what God was talking about in Gen. 1:26.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Correct - SORT of.
John 5:37 isn't describing a Theophany - it is using an anthropomorphism.

No, (John 5:37) is not using an anthropomorphism either. It is a statement that God has a voice and has shape.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's wrong with you?
I already answered this.

"Being offered" means that they have the choice to drink the Precious Blood of our Lord during Communion.
Nobody is forced to receive Communion.

So, no believer within the Roman Church has to partake of the Communion? Interesting.

Is the bread and Body of the Lord offered in the same way the wine and Blood is offered? You can take it or leave it.

Why is not the wine/Blood required to be partaken by the laity just as the bread/Body is?

Stranger

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He isn't talking about physicality. The Son had not yet been incarnated.

Man is the most different from ALL of the other flora and fauna because we have a free will and the ability to reason.
THIS is what God was talking about in Gen. 1:26.

Jesus said that Abraham had seen Him in his day.

John 8:56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad. 57 Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham? 58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. 59 Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

So men had seen God face to face in the Old Testament. That was the Son of God since it was written that no men had seen the Father at any time.

He appeared to Abraham.

Genesis 12:7And the Lord appeared unto Abram, and said, Unto thy seed will I give this land: and there builded he an altar unto the Lord, who appeared unto him.

Genesis 17:1And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, the Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I am the Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.

Genesis 18:1 And the Lord appeared unto him in the plains of Mamre: and he sat in the tent door in the heat of the day;

He appeared to Isaac.

Genesis 26:24 And the Lord appeared unto him the same night, and said, I am the God of Abraham thy father: fear not, for I am with thee, and will bless thee, and multiply thy seed for my servant Abraham's sake.

He appeared unto Jacob.

Genesis 32:24 And Jacob was left alone; and there wrestled a man with him until the breaking of the day.25 And when he saw that he prevailed not against him, he touched the hollow of his thigh; and the hollow of Jacob's thigh was out of joint, as he wrestled with him.26 And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me.27 And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob.28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed.29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there.30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved.

So when we were created in His image. the Son of God had an image and so did the Father per this verse.

His incarnation was stepping down from His celestial image in taking a fashion of terrestrial men so He could give His life as a ransom for many.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, (John 5:37) is not using an anthropomorphism either. It is a statement that God has a voice and has shape.

Stranger
And you can cling to this all you want but you'll still be wrong.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, no believer within the Roman Church has to partake of the Communion? Interesting.
Is the bread and Body of the Lord offered in the same way the wine and Blood is offered? You can take it or leave it.
Why is not the wine/Blood required to be partaken by the laity just as the bread/Body is?
Stranger
Nobody is "required" to partake in the Eucharist every time they go to Mass.
Nobody is"required" to partake of BOTH species.

Not sure why you're unable to absorb this as I have explained it several times already.