The likeness of God on his throne

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What mind was Paul speaking of here?

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.
The Son became incarnated from being His form of God so He could die for our sins.
And if you check with the creation account, God the Father must also have an image for that request for man to be fashioned after.

Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
So what was Jesus talking about when saying God is Spirit? ( do note, He did not say that the Father is Spirit ) Jesus was changing the places of where people can go to in worshiping God the Father; not to the Temple at Jerusalem nor to the mountains because now, one can go to God the Father anywhere by going to the Son in worship as He is the only way anyone can approach God the Father by now.
That is how in regards to the question about WHERE to go to worship God the Father, it is in that God is Spirit as in not confined to a place and that means any one can come to God the Father anywhere but by the only way of the Son in worship because by exalting the name of the Son in worship to glorify the Son, believers are glorifying God the Father at the same time.
John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.
John 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
In the FORM of God means that Jesus IS God.

Since noboby else has been able to answer this - let me ask YOU:
God God have wings?
Does He have feathers?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the FORM of God means that Jesus IS God.

Since noboby else has been able to answer this - let me ask YOU:
God God have wings?
Does He have feathers?

No, because we were created in His image lacking those wings.

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is stated numerous times that "God is an all consuming fire" and many believers will take that literally. But when Ezekiel describes his actual appearance as basically a consuming fire in the form of a man sitting on a throne, they will do a complete 180 and claim its not literal.
default_hmm.gif
Which one is it, is God like an all consuming fire with a tangible form or not??

I see now that its his "appearance of a man" that people have a problem with. Ezekiel says this is the likeness of the glory of the LORD, whereas the "oracles" pretending to know more about the supernatural than what is written will claim otherwise. This looks to me like a another classic case of certain believers wanting to have their cake and eat it too. I'll take the word of God as the authority on this matter. I'll believe the Bible when it states we are made in his image. This is one of the few artists depictions of his vision that I have seen that actually got it right to any meaningful degree.

the scripture say "Is a"

Deu_4:24 For the LORD thy God is a consuming fire, even a jealous God.

Heb_12:29 For our God is a consuming fire.

which in our case works like this

1Co 3:9 For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. 10 According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon. 11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; 13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. 14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. 15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

this is the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob:

Gen 15:7 And he said unto him, I am the LORD that brought thee out of Ur of the Chaldees, to give thee this land to inherit it. 8 And he said, Lord GOD, whereby shall I know that I shall inherit it? 9 And he said unto him, Take me an heifer of three years old, and a she goat of three years old, and a ram of three years old, and a turtledove, and a young pigeon. 10 And he took unto him all these, and divided them in the midst, and laid each piece one against another: but the birds divided he not. 11 And when the fowls came down upon the carcases, Abram drove them away. 12 And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him. 13 And he said unto Abram, Know of a surety that thy seed shall be a stranger in a land that is not theirs, and shall serve them; and they shall afflict them four hundred years; 14 And also that nation, whom they shall serve, will I judge: and afterward shall they come out with great substance. 15 And thou shalt go to thy fathers in peace; thou shalt be buried in a good old age. 16 But in the fourth generation they shall come hither again: for the iniquity of the Amorites is not yet full. 17 And it came to pass, that, when the sun went down, and it was dark, behold a smoking furnace, and a burning lamp that passed between those pieces.

Exo_13:22 He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.

Exo 19:16 And it came to pass on the third day in the morning, that there were thunders and lightnings, and a thick cloud upon the mount, and the voice of the trumpet exceeding loud; so that all the people that was in the camp trembled. 17 And Moses brought forth the people out of the camp to meet with God; and they stood at the nether part of the mount. 18 And mount Sinai was altogether on a smoke, because the LORD descended upon it in fire: and the smoke thereof ascended as the smoke of a furnace, and the whole mount quaked greatly. 19 And when the voice of the trumpet sounded long, and waxed louder and louder, Moses spake, and God answered him by a voice. 20 And the LORD came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the LORD called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up. 21 And the LORD said unto Moses, Go down, charge the people, lest they break through unto the LORD to gaze, and many of them perish. 22 And let the priests also, which come near to the LORD, sanctify themselves, lest the LORD break forth upon them. 23 And Moses said unto the LORD, The people cannot come up to mount Sinai: for thou chargedst us, saying, Set bounds about the mount, and sanctify it.

this God claims Jesus Christ His Beloved Son and Jesus Christ claims to be the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob's Son. like Father like Son.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, why don't yall allow the saints (Christians) to partake of the wine and blood?

Stranger
First of all - Catholics ARE Christians.
As to why we don't allow non-Catholics to receive - it's because you call it "wine" . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because we were created in His image lacking those wings.
That doesn't answer the question.

Now - the Bible says that Gis has wings and feathers like a bird.
Do YOU believe that God has wings and feathers - OR, are they merely symbolic (anthropomorphic).

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Do YOU believe that God has wings and feathers - OR, are they merely symbolic (anthropomorphic).

You are going to have to quote a Bible verse from the KJV for me to even discern what a Gis is and why that would pertain to God, unless that was a typo? If so... then the wings are symbolic. Why? Because we were created in the image of God and therefore God has no wings because we have no wings. God is also our Rock, but we do not look like a rock, now do we?

And one day in our perfect state when Jesus Christ brings us Home by His righteousness alone and not because of the dead works of catholicism, we will see God the Father plainly to ask Him directly for things or whatever that we will no longer need Jesus to do it for us.

John 16:25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: 27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all - Catholics ARE Christians.
As to why we don't allow non-Catholics to receive - it's because you call it "wine" . . .

My distinction was between what you and I call 'saints'. I am aware that there are many Romanists who are Christians.

I didn't ask why you don't allow 'non-Romanists' to partake of the Lords Supper or Mass. I asked why you don't allow your own Romanist Christians to partake of the wine and blood?

You know full well what I am asking.

Stranger

Reactions: gruni

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No it doesn't. Where does it say God has wings and feathers like a bird?

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it doesn't. Where does it say God has wings and feathers like a bird?
Stranger
Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.

Deuteronomy 32:11
"Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, That hovers over its young, He spread His wings and caught them, He carried them on His pinions.

Psalm 17:8
Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings

Psalm 36:7
How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.

Psalm 57:1
Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, For my soul takes refuge in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge Until destruction passes by.

Psalm 61:4
Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. Selah.

Psalm 63:7
For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.

Jeremiah 49:22
Behold, He will mount up and swoop like an eagle and spread out His wings against Bozrah; and the hearts of the mighty men of Edom in that day will be like the heart of a woman in labor.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My distinction was between what you and I call 'saints'. I am aware that there are many Romanists who are Christians.

I didn't ask why you don't allow 'non-Romanists' to partake of the Lords Supper or Mass. I asked why you don't allow your own Romanist Christians to partake of the wine and blood?

You know full well what I am asking.

Stranger
Every baptized Catholic who is of age and in a state of grace can partake in the Eucharist.
Not sure what you mean by "Romanists". I don't know what they believe.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are going to have to quote a Bible verse from the KJV for me to even discern what a Gis is and why that would pertain to God, unless that was a typo? If so... then the wings are symbolic. Why? Because we were created in the image of God and therefore God has no wings because we have no wings. God is also our Rock, but we do not look like a rock, now do we?

And one day in our perfect state when Jesus Christ brings us Home by His righteousness alone and not because of the dead works of catholicism, we will see God the Father plainly to ask Him directly for things or whatever that we will no longer need Jesus to do it for us.

John 16:25 These things have I spoken unto you in proverbs: but the time cometh, when I shall no more speak unto you in proverbs, but I shall shew you plainly of the Father. 26 At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you: 27 For the Father himself loveth you, because ye have loved me, and have believed that I came out from God.
Your comment above in RED is indicative of backwards logic.
God doesn't take after US - WE take after HIM.

Anthropomorphism is man's attempt to reason those things that are supernatural - not God's attempt to reason the natural.

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your comment above in RED is indicative of backwards logic.
God doesn't take after US - WE take after HIM.

And since we were created in the image of God, being wingless, He has no wings either.

Anthropomorphism
is man's attempt to reason those things that are supernatural - not God's attempt to reason the natural.

That may be so, but it doesn't apply to the symbolic use of His protection in reference to His "wings".

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Every baptized Catholic who is of age and in a state of grace can partake in the Eucharist.
Not sure what you mean by "Romanists". I don't know what they believe.

Why do the priests partake of the wine and not the laity?

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Psalm 91:4
He will cover you with His feathers, And under His wings you may seek refuge; His faithfulness is a shield and bulwark.

Deuteronomy 32:11
"Like an eagle that stirs up its nest, That hovers over its young, He spread His wings and caught them, He carried them on His pinions.

Psalm 17:8
Keep me as the apple of the eye; Hide me in the shadow of Your wings

Psalm 36:7
How precious is Your lovingkindness, O God! And the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings.

Psalm 57:1
Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious to me, For my soul takes refuge in You; And in the shadow of Your wings I will take refuge Until destruction passes by.

Psalm 61:4
Let me dwell in Your tent forever; Let me take refuge in the shelter of Your wings. Selah.

Psalm 63:7
For You have been my help, And in the shadow of Your wings I sing for joy.

Jeremiah 49:22
Behold, He will mount up and swoop like an eagle and spread out His wings against Bozrah; and the hearts of the mighty men of Edom in that day will be like the heart of a woman in labor.

None of these say God has wings and feathers like a bird. This is just language God uses for us to describe Himself based on something we know.

(John 5:37) uses no such language. "...Ye have neither heard his voice at any time, nor seen his shape." God has a voice, and God has shape.

Thus, just because God is Spirit, does not mean He has no shape or form.

Man is created in the image of God. (Gen. 1:26) And Jesus Christ is the exact image of God. (Heb. 1:3)

Before the believer's resurrection, what is the shape of his spirit?

Stranger

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of these say God has wings and feathers like a bird. This is just language God uses for us to describe Himself based on something we know.

PRECISELY
. This is known as "anthropomorphism" - just like John 5:37 and ALL of the other verses that speak of God having "nostrils" and other body parts.
Before the believer's resurrection, what is the shape of his spirit?
Stranger
Spirit has NO shape.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And since we were created in the image of God, being wingless, He has no wings either.
That may be so, but it doesn't apply to the symbolic use of His protection in reference to His "wings".
It's silly not to understand anthropomorphism and believe that God literally has a body because WE were made in His image.
I don't want to get vulgar or disrespectful - but does God have the parts of a Woman or a Man?

If you say BOTH - the NOBODY was made in His image.
What about people who are born with no arms or legs or other Body parts? Were THEY made in His image?

JesusIsFaithful

Feb 24, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
PRECISELY. This is known as "anthropomorphism" - just like John 5:37 and ALL of the other verses that speak of God having "nostrils" and other body parts.

Spirit has NO shape.

Jesus testified that no man had seen the Father but He did.

John 1:18 No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 6:46 Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father.

That's 2 times that Jesus had declared that He has seen the Father and so not so invisible as a Spirit as you have been misled to believe.

I understand your error, because of how others have applied a verse like this below to mean that the Father is invisible:

Colossians 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:15 Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

As much as I argue the point that Jesus has an image, and He is not invisible so that means the Father has an image as well, they still cling to invisible as meaning God is Spirit when invisible just means not presently seen at the moment. There is precedent for that application by the verse below about Jesus Christ in Heaven soon to return as the King of kings.

1 Timothy 1:16 Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting. 17 Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

So is Jesus invisible? No. Then that is how I read Colossians 1:15 as not inferring that the Father is invisible, but just not presently seen, and yet for Jesus to be the image of the invisible God that is not presently seen, then the Father has that very image that Jesus has.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have wine all the time. I just had some on Friday night when I was at dinner with my wife.

You know what I am asking and you are being deceptive. Concerning the Lords Supper, why do the priests get to partake of the wine and not the laity? In other words, why do the priests deny the laity the wine and blood of Christ?

Stranger