The myth of grace-only & easy-believism shattered forever

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
With Abraham God was speaking anthropomorphically (on a human level) as we don’t have the eternal mind of God.
Seriously, where does official Catholic teaching teach that God doesn’t know all things?

Psalm 139:1-4,7-9,15-16,23-24 KJV
[1] O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me. [2] Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off. [3] Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways. [4]
For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

[7] Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence? [8] If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there. [9] If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

[15] My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. [16] Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

[23] Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts: [24] And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Please explain why God tested Abraham.

Please explain why the scriptures say God tests us, our hearts and our faith?

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
'For who maketh thee to differ from another?
and what hast thou that thou didst not receive?
now if thou didst receive it,
why dost thou glory,
as if thou hadst not received it?'

(1 Corinthians 4:7)

Hello @RogerDC,

Why are you being so hostile in your approach to @Eternally Grateful? o_O

* I would like to consider a point you made to him, in which you said in reply#3941:- 'Scripture describes salvation as a "hope" in all least twenty verses in the NT, so your claim that you are already "saved" contradicts every one of those "hope" verses.'

* There are a number of Hebrew words translated 'Hope' in the Old Testament, but there is but one basic Greek word so translated in the New Testament. Hope in the New Testament is very often linked to a promise made: so that Hope looks to the fulfilment of a promise. ' Faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen' (Hebrews 11:1).

* Our faith rests on the promises of God, therefore they are sure and certain. I have been promised life through His (Christ's) name. Therefore there is no element of doubt in my mind that I will receive it, for it rests on a promise that God has made: Whose promises are 'Yea' and 'Amen'; given by a God who is all powerful, and Who never lies. Yes! Salvation is also sure on that same principle, the believer having been 'sealed' with that Holy Spirit of promise.

'In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession,
unto the praise of His glory.'

(Ephesians 1:13)

* The Believer is told assuredly that '... ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. When Christ, Who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with Him in glory.' (Co.l 3:3-4) . I believe this, it is my hope, and there is nothing unsure or uncertain about it.

* Death for the believer, by God's reckoning, is as a 'sleep': for the believer has the sure hope of resurrection life, in Christ Jesus his Lord and Saviour.

* I am trusting in God to keep His promises, made in Christ Jesus His Beloved Son.

Praise God!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
God will not reject anyone who loves Him.

Reactions: amadeus and charity

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
FYI bro

They think their history is infallible. so there is nothing you can say which will convince them otherwise. So to try to use history to try to show them something is never going to work.
Funny. Where is your "true" history? The truth is, you can't provide a single historical fact that supports your mendacious, anti-Catholic fairy tales. You live in a dreamworld of delusion, lies and wilful ignorance.

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
as far as Christianity goes - there was ONLY the Catholic Church in the 4th century.
lol You are not only funny you are predictable.
Of course there is only one Christian Church in the 4th century....because it is the only Church you recognize.
Which Church decided on the canon of the Bible? I believe it was the Catholic Church. That means you are placing your faith in a Catholic publication. Oh, the irony!

RogerDC

Jan 17, 2020
Forster
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The entire point here is that you are painting Tyndale to be just an "innocent" guy who did the Lord's work.
In fact - he did just the opposite by producing a flawed and heretical translation.

By the way - do you even know when the Canon of the Bible was officially declared - and by WHOM?
It's pathetic how Protestants turn dishonest fools like Luther and Tyndale into heroes. Even Henry VIII condemned Tyndale as a charlatan - hilarous.!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Funny. Where is your "true" history? The truth is, you can't provide a single historical fact that supports your mendacious, anti-Catholic fairy tales. You live in a dreamworld of delusion, lies and wilful ignorance.
The truth is even your own history shows that they BURNED every book which they considered heretical. And the people they claimed to be heretics where jailed. Outcast or killed.

The people who RULE write history.

so anyone who looks to history as proof of who is right or wrong is in prety bad shape. Because NON of us where there. And NON of us know what really happened.

And your attitude along with your brothers is shameful. I have a news flash for you.

If your church is Gods church, God does not need you to defend it. He is perfectly capable of protecting it himself. In fact, he said if no one listens walk away and wipe your feet.

As I shared earlier, God resists the proud. and gives grace to the humble. You should eat some humble pie.

Reactions: mailmandan

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
taken from the catholic encyclopedia

When Constantine had taken upon himself the office of lay bishop, episcopus externus, and put the secular arm at the service of the Church, the laws against heretics became more and more rigorous. Under the purely ecclesiastical discipline no temporal punishment could be inflicted on the obstinate heretic, except the damage which might arise to his personal dignity through being deprived of all intercourse with his former brethren. But under the Christian emperors rigorous measures were enforced against the goods and persons of heretics. From the time of Constantine to Theodosius and Valentinian III (313-424) various penal laws were enacted by the Christian emperors against heretics as being guilty of crime against the State. "In both the Theodosian and Justinian codes they were styled infamous persons; all intercourse was forbidden to be held with them; they were deprived of all offices of profit and dignity in the civil administration, while all burdensome offices, both of the camp and of the curia, were imposed upon them; they were disqualified from disposing of their own estates by will, or of accepting estates bequeathed to them by others; they were denied the right of giving or receiving donations, of contracting, buying, and selling; pecuniary fines were imposed upon them; they were often proscribed and banished, and in many cases scourged before being sent into exile. In some particularly aggravated cases sentence of death was pronounced upon heretics, though seldom executed in the time of the Christian emperors of Rome. Theodosius is said to be the first who pronounced heresy a capital crime; this law was passed in 382 against the Encratites, the Saccophori, the Hydroparastatae, and the Manichæans. Heretical teachers were forbidden to propagate their doctrines publicly or privately; to hold public disputations; to ordain bishops, presbyters, or any other clergy; to hold religious meetings; to build conventicles or to avail themselves of money bequeathed to them for that purpose. Slaves were allowed to inform against their heretical masters and to purchase their freedom by coming over to the Church. The children of heretical parents were denied their patrimony and inheritance unless they returned to the Catholic Church. The books of heretics were ordered to be burned." ( Vide "Codex Theodosianus", lib. XVI, tit. 5, "De Haereticis".)

So when someone tells you that there is no proof or evidence of any teaching other than the catholic church teachings, Their own encyclopedia tells you why.

when you DESTROY all evidence. and punish all people who even hold to these beliefs, there will never be any evidence.

According to the actual catholic article I read a few years ago, I am sure I can find it if asked.

Heresies included but were not limited to

Eucharist
Virginity of Mary

There were many things which were considered heresy which imposed these penalties, most of which are being argued in these very forums today

So how about instead of fighting and arguing, we sit down to what CAN be trusted. The word of God (who God gave us, not any church)

Reactions: mailmandan

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God!
1 John 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8 He who does not love does not know God, for God is love...19 We love Him because He first loved us.

Romans 5:5 - Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. :)

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which Church decided on the canon of the Bible? I believe it was the Catholic Church. That means you are placing your faith in a Catholic publication. Oh, the irony!
lol Careful about jumping into the middle of a conversation. It is kind of like the word assume.

Reactions: RogerDC

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Subject heading:- 'The myth of grace-only & easy-believism shattered forever'

'For by grace are ye saved through faith;
and that not of yourselves:
it is the gift of God:
Not of works, lest any man should boast.
For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works,
which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.'

(Ephesian 2:8-10)

Hello @Zachery,

How can you speak in terms of the 'grace', or 'unmerited favour,' of God as - 'myth?

It would seem that you fail to acknowledge that when the believer believes on the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord, he is SEALED. This is spoken of in Scripture in Ephesians 1:13, and Ephesians 4:30, and by Paul of himself and his fellow-workers in 1 Corinthians 1:22:-

'That we should be to the praise of His glory, who first trusted in Christ.
In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation:
in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession,

(Eph 1:12-14)

'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God,
whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.'

(Eph 4:30)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Notice how the warning is not in bold type... 'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God..."

An earnest (down-payment)... Until the redemption of the purchased possession.

Nothing is stated as to some unconditional guarantee that the believer cannot break this Seal. The Seal is the Holy Spirit which we are warned not to grieve.

Appealing to the Seal does not prove anything in the way of Grace. Assuming that Grace is a thing; a repository of endless favor, is not Biblical.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Telling lies

It is odd in the internet age to be told it is a lie that the bible in english changed a lot of things, with its mass publication.
The church certainly could have done this by itself if it was interested, but clearly it was not.

In the church today, not the catholic church, there are some who hate people who say "the bible says" but rather "Alan Smith says"
where Alan Smith is their great teacher on a subject. I actually believe Jesus, that He will teach His people through the Holy Spirit when we apply Gods word to our lives. God bless you

Even worse is the person who thinks a statue listens to their prayers!

Reactions: FollowHim

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
when someone says I give you this as a pledge of my promise UNTIL a set time, And does not give any means of which this seal can be broken.

We should take him at his word. and if for some reason, that pledge is not fulfilled. The maker of the pledge is deemed unworthy and untrustworthy.

If people would realize How bad they make God look.. Maybe some of this would go away

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Notice how the warning is not in bold type... 'And grieve not the holy Spirit of God..."

An earnest (down-payment)... Until the redemption of the purchased possession.

Nothing is stated as to some unconditional guarantee that the believer cannot break this Seal. The Seal is the Holy Spirit which we are warned not to grieve.

Appealing to the Seal does not prove anything in the way of Grace. Assuming that Grace is a thing; a repository of endless favor, is not Biblical.
'That we should be to the praise of His glory,
who first trusted in Christ.
In Whom
(Christ) ye also trusted,
after that ye heard the word of truth,
the gospel of your salvation:
in Whom
(Christ) also after that ye believed,
ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise,
Which is the earnest of our inheritance
until the redemption of the purchased possession,

(Ephesians 1:12-14)

Hello @Candidus,

We trust in Christ, and are sealed in Christ, and He does not fail. Listen with the hearing of faith, see with the eyes of faith, and then you will believe, and be assured that He is faithful that promised.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We trust in Christ, and are sealed in Christ, and He does not fail. Listen with the hearing of faith, see with the eyes of faith, and then you will believe, and be assured that He is faithful that promised.

Grieving the Holy Spirit is not God's failure, but is our failure. No one ever said that God failed; and God has never claimed that we had an unconditional guaranteed salvation.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
taken from the catholic encyclopedia

When Constantine had taken upon himself the office of lay bishop, episcopus externus, and put the secular arm at the service of the Church, the laws against heretics became more and more rigorous. Under the purely ecclesiastical discipline no temporal punishment could be inflicted on the obstinate heretic, except the damage which might arise to his personal dignity through being deprived of all intercourse with his former brethren. But under the Christian emperors rigorous measures were enforced against the goods and persons of heretics. From the time of Constantine to Theodosius and Valentinian III (313-424) various penal laws were enacted by the Christian emperors against heretics as being guilty of crime against the State. "In both the Theodosian and Justinian codes they were styled infamous persons; all intercourse was forbidden to be held with them; they were deprived of all offices of profit and dignity in the civil administration, while all burdensome offices, both of the camp and of the curia, were imposed upon them; they were disqualified from disposing of their own estates by will, or of accepting estates bequeathed to them by others; they were denied the right of giving or receiving donations, of contracting, buying, and selling; pecuniary fines were imposed upon them; they were often proscribed and banished, and in many cases scourged before being sent into exile. In some particularly aggravated cases sentence of death was pronounced upon heretics, though seldom executed in the time of the Christian emperors of Rome. Theodosius is said to be the first who pronounced heresy a capital crime; this law was passed in 382 against the Encratites, the Saccophori, the Hydroparastatae, and the Manichæans. Heretical teachers were forbidden to propagate their doctrines publicly or privately; to hold public disputations; to ordain bishops, presbyters, or any other clergy; to hold religious meetings; to build conventicles or to avail themselves of money bequeathed to them for that purpose. Slaves were allowed to inform against their heretical masters and to purchase their freedom by coming over to the Church. The children of heretical parents were denied their patrimony and inheritance unless they returned to the Catholic Church. The books of heretics were ordered to be burned." ( Vide "Codex Theodosianus", lib. XVI, tit. 5, "De Haereticis".)

So when someone tells you that there is no proof or evidence of any teaching other than the catholic church teachings, Their own encyclopedia tells you why.

when you DESTROY all evidence. and punish all people who even hold to these beliefs, there will never be any evidence.

According to the actual catholic article I read a few years ago, I am sure I can find it if asked.
Heresies included but were not limited to
Eucharist
Virginity of Mary

There were many things which were considered heresy which imposed these penalties, most of which are being argued in these very forums today

So how about instead of fighting and arguing, we sit down to what CAN be trusted. The word of God (who God gave us, not any church)

THANK YOU
for proving our point that it was the STATE and KINGDOMS that executed heretics - and NOT the Church.

Although - my favorite portion of your nonsense above is the portion in RED. It always makes me laugh when an ignorant anti-Catholic like yourself claims to have "read an article" that proclaims such unbelievable nonsense - but you "can't" seem to find it.
You can't find it because you never read it - it's just another LIE.

Belief in the Eucharist was never considered heresy - NOR was belief iin Mary's Perpetual Virginity.
We read about belief in the Eucharist in 1 Corinthians 11:27-30, which corresponds with the Last Supper narratives in Matt. 26:26–28, Mark 14:22–24 and Luke 22:19–20 - as well as the Bread of Life Discourse in John 6:22-71.

We ALSO read from 1st century Bishop, Ignatius of Antioch in his Letter to the Smyrnaeans about the fervent belief of the Early Church in the Real Presence. Mary' Perpetual Virginity was being preached and defended in in 2nd century documents such as the Protoevangelium of James and the writings of Origen in the Third century - LONG before Constantine was ever in power.

So, nice try - but you have FAILED again . . .

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Please explain why God tested Abraham.

Please explain why the scriptures say God tests us, our hearts and our faith?
James 1:2-3 KJV
[2] My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; [3] Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.

1 Peter 1:7-9 KJV
[7] That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ: [8] Whom having not seen, ye love; in whom, though now ye see him not, yet believing, ye rejoice with joy unspeakable and full of glory: [9] Receiving the end of your faith, even the salvation of your souls.

now I have answered your question, please answer mine...’Where does official Catholic teachings teach that “God doesn’t know all things “?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Grieving the Holy Spirit is not God's failure, but is our failure.
No one ever said that God failed;
and God has never claimed that we had an unconditional guaranteed salvation.

(Ephesians 4:30)

Hello @Candidus,

Yes, it is possible for us to grieve the holy Spirit of God, whereby we are sealed unto the day of redemption: but that does not result in a loss of salvation. For we are 'sealed unto the day', and nothing can take that away (Romans 8:35 & 39)

Praise God!

You say (quote), 'God has never claimed that we had an unconditional guaranteed salvation', but, with respect, that is a statement that it is incumbent upon you to prove; not for me to disprove.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

(Ephesians 4:30)

Hello @Candidus,

Yes, it is possible for us to grieve the holy Spirit of God, whereby we are sealed unto the day of redemption: but that does not result in a loss of salvation. For we are 'sealed unto the day', and nothing can take that away (Romans 8:35 & 39)

Praise God!

You say (quote), 'God has never claimed that we had an unconditional guaranteed salvation', but, with respect, that is a statement that it is incumbent upon you to prove; not for me to disprove.

Thank you.
In Christ Jesus
Chris

There is a problem with the verse Eph 4:30 "unto" or "for" This sealing is for the day of redemption, but there is no promise that the seal remains or it is guaranteed, while it lasts it shows the presence of the Lord in a life.

What would be interesting is how those who are sealed in Christ feel after they have fallen away.
The kings seal is a statement of authority for the message inside. If not broken the message is valid.
It does not guarantee it cannot be broken, by its nature seals are for the recipient to know the authority by which the message is given.

Looking at those who claim this seal so desperately and yet fail to acknowledge the ways of Christ, whatever seal they claim to have, their hearts are not dwelling in God or honouring the Holy Spirit who they claim is their guarantee. So for them I would suggest this language is just that, language.