The narrow way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation through belief/faith in Jesus Christ is the narrow way. (John 3:15,16,18; Acts 10:43; 13:39; 16:31; Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8,9; Philippians 3:9 etc..). In Acts 2:38, "for the remission of sins" does not refer back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but refers only to the first. Peter is saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony*
You completely skipped Acts 2:38.

That is the broad way.

Even the devils believe.

They also confess Jesus is the son of God.

The difference between the Christian faith and the devils faith is Acts 2:38(water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ).

That's it.....there is not special "point of faith", which differentiates between unbaptized believers and devils.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So why do so many " christians " claim their good works?

Because they are unaware of the truth of the matter.

1Co 4:7, For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

The love and righteousness of the Lord by which we do good works is a free gift. When we begin to boast or glory in our works that we have done, we are saying to God that we don't think that it was His gift to us; but that we somehow obtained it for ourselves. All such glorying is evil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because they are unaware of the truth of the matter.

1Co 4:7, For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it?

The love and righteousness of the Lord by which we do good works is a free gift. When we begin to boast or glory in our works that we have done, we are saying to God that we don't think that it was His gift to us; but that we somehow obtained it for ourselves. All such glorying is evil.
As much as it pains me to say we finally agree on something.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, I don't hate anyone, I do believe that you commonly seem to victimize yourself.
I know and do not deny that I have a persecution complex.

However, I believe that this complex is based on an understanding of what the scripture teaches in such passages as Matthew 5:10-12, Luke 6:22-23, and 2 Timothy 3:10-12. In other words, it is a biblical attitude.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would say that there is a gate; and that it is indeed narrow.

But that it is presented to all is not in question.
I see this as a problem Jesus says I'm the way. How can this imply any type of restriction, unless one is viewing the way as self performed?

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You completely skipped Acts 2:38.

That is the broad way.

Even the devils believe.

They also confess Jesus is the son of God.

The difference between the Christian faith and the devils faith is Acts 2:38 (water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ).

That's it.....there is not special "point of faith", which differentiates between unbaptized believers and devils.
I didn't skip Acts 2:38, but explained it to you in post #32. You need to learn how to properly harmonize scripture with scripture. The devils believe "mental assent" that "there is one God" (James 2:19) but the devils do not believe in the Lord Jesus Christ and are not saved. (Acts 16:31) Their belief and confession is not from the heart. (Romans 10:9,10)

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I see this as a problem Jesus says I'm the way. How can this imply any type of restriction, unless one is viewing the way as self performed?
The way is narrow in that Jesus is the way. There is only one way to heaven...through Him.

Not through Buddhism or Hinduism or Confucianism or Islam (or any other religion for that matter)...through Jesus Christ alone.

We are accused of being "narrow-minded" because we hold to such a view.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 6:10-11 KJV
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. [11] O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.

The way is wide open, there's no gate restriction.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
2 Corinthians 6:10-11 KJV
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. [11] O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged.

The way is wide open, there's no gate restriction.
The way is presented to all; but it is in fact narrow: in that Jesus is the only way.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The way is presented to all; but it is in fact narrow: in that Jesus is the only way.
Paul says the way within him was enlarged, this implying no restriction in my opinion.
I'm not sure how this can't be seen, he's provoking them to love.