The narrow way

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The works I do are the works of my father.
I think that in this you must be speaking of your own biological father or perhaps you are referring to your father being the devil.

Because if you were referring to God as being your Father, you would have capitalized the word.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That question has been already answered:
No you havnt which works are they

Luk 17:7 But which of you, having a servant plowing or feeding cattle, will say unto him by and by, when he is come from the field, Go and sit down to meat?
Luk 17:8 And will not rather say unto him, Make ready wherewith I may sup, and gird thyself, and serve me, till I have eaten and drunken; and afterward thou shalt eat and drink?
Luk 17:9 Doth he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I trow not.
Luk 17:10 So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Indeed, I have done what was my duty to do. And I have indeed answered the question.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I think that in this you must be speaking of your own biological father or perhaps you are referring to your father being the devil.

Because if you were referring to God as being your Father, you would have capitalized the word.
Actually I was quoting the bible. and do you think God cares about capitals. You still havnt stated what your works are.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
and do you think God cares about capitals.

Yes. Not using them when referring to Him is a sign of disrespect.

Mal 1:6, A son honoureth his father, and a servant his master: if then I be a father, where is mine honour? and if I be a master, where is my fear? saith the LORD of hosts unto you, O priests, that despise my name. And ye say, Wherein have we despised thy name?

You still havnt stated what your works are.

I don't believe that it would be prudent or spiritual for me to boast about the works that I do (see Ephesians 2:9).

Even my being baptized in Jesus' Name was not a work; but an action done in surrender to the Lord. It was the outworking of a living faith. As such, it was my faith in the operation of the Lord that saved me and not the H2O (Colossians 2:12). However, without fulfilling the condition of the promise, there could not be faith in the working out of the promise in my life. So then, it was faith in the promise that motivated me to fulfill its condition and thus to lay hold of the promise. But without fulfilling the condition of the promise there would be no laying hold of the promise; because the promise, which is by faith, is given through the fulfilling of the condition: in any promise in scripture that is conditional. For example, in Malachi 3, there is no blessing poured out that you will not be able to receive it, it is so great; except you bring the whole tithe into the storehouse.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yes. Not using them when referring to Him is a sign of disresp
Really, to you yes God no. God allows for mens mistakes the religious cannot the "demand" perfection, they"demand" obedience..

because the promise, which is by faith, is given through the fulfilling of the condition

Faith, Have Faith in God, that is the condition, what else would you like to add???

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Really, to you yes God no. God allows for mens mistakes the religious cannot the "demand" perfection, they"demand" obedience..

God does in fact demand perfection, Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48.

Faith, Have Faith in God, that is the condition, what else would you like to add???

Faith in the operation of God (Colossians 2:12 (kjv))...

Act 2:37, Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Act 2:38, Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Act 2:39, For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.

Col 2:12, Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
God does in fact demand perfection, Galatians 3:10, James 2:10, Matthew 5:48.
No HE never did and never will, that is what religion and the religious demand. It was Christ alone who was raised perfect, and we are only "perfect' when we are in Him.

In the twinkling of an eye we will all be changed, and it wont be because of anything man though he could do to make Him self perfect.

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Your works or His works ??
The works I do are the works of my father.

Interesting proposal. Is it possible in the vine to distinguish between our works and His works?
There is a simple problem, we speak from our position and understanding not the Lords.

It is why Jesus and Paul avoided judging things that are not obvious sinful behaviour.
If one sees the flow of our foundations to our actions, what makes a difference is if our foundations are in Christ and love, and how love through faith is changing and transforming us.

I could share something that bounces off another and changed nothing, or I could share something that encourages and helps another dwell and grow in Christ. If you think of the differences, you begin to understand how what we share and our intent bears fruit or is as if it did not exist.

Jesus is looking for us to learn how to bear fruit that will last. It is why criticism can be pointless, while talking of the life that comes through Christ and His ways, is the testimony of life and salvation.

The narrow way is about our focus and how to bring grapes and figs to people as a source of real food and sustenance, because in Jesus the prisoner is set free. God bless you

Reactions: justbyfaith

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You reading an English interpretation

the Greek does not say those works

it’s uses 2nd person plural in the command to repent

and third person singular in the command to be baptized

repentance leads to faith which leads to salvation.
Let everyone who is saved (received remission of sin) be baptized
In effect that is what it says

Repent and be baptised, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
Acts 2:38

Greek has many subtle uses of who is included in a statement, an individual, a group or the whole of the audience.
Peter is asked at the end of his sermon "Brothers, what shall we do?"

This is quite clear a question of the audience who wish to respond to the message need direction.
Peter then addresses this group, to be clear, every one of the group needs to repent and be baptised.

Now this is Peter responding to a group of Jews who want to be reconciled to God. It is not a generic formulation or an eternal reality, just a testimony of what happened. John preached

4 And so John came, baptising in the desert region and preaching a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins.
Mark 1:4

Baptism of repentance was for the forgiveness of sins.
For church folk who have had one form of baptism or another, this becomes an issue of conscience, that God works through.
Scripture is clear, if you come to faith, get baptised. It is the initiation of coming to faith, of a witness, of a declaration of commitment to Jesus.

If God regards this as a declaration of loyalty to Him, amen, I will follow. God bless you

FollowHim

Aug 22, 2019
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
2. You know what I was talking about how rude
As an observer of a conversation, reading along, I am not sure anyone knows what you are referring to.

10 And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God,
11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, and joyfully
12 giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in the kingdom of light.
Col 1:10-12

I love when followers of Jesus just show their love by doing anything and everything to bring praise and love to His name, Halleluyah.

I wonder if being "rude" is a problem, especially if it is not understood or known about?
I remember being told I was worse than a murderer by a believer for believing Jesus can make me pure and clean.
Reminded me of the pharisees saying blasphemy, Jesus should be killed.

It is hard to imagine the emotional turmoil a few words trigger in some, that violence of the worst kind can be triggered.
I also find it hard to see if people wish to be baptised, however they do it, to bring glory to Jesus and His saving grace, that this can be wrong.

God bless you