The Nicene Creed is not Christian

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
OzSpen said:

Lenski rightly states that kathegetes refers to 'a leader who assumes full responsibility for those led and who thus commands and is obeyed. No one can claim a leadership of this kind in the church that is in conflict with our one Leader, the Christ....
Indeed! This is also a clear test whether a person is involved in a cult... A cult's leader will put himself above the teachings of Christ, and insist that his interpretation of scripture is the right one.

I witness to people in cults that are based on Christianity, and this is the prime reason they begin to question the leadership of the cult, and it is where cult leaders spend the most time scaring their followers into total submission.

Jesus is certainly warning us against false prophets and teachers in this passage of Matthew, as well as hypocrisy...

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
Brisbane, Qld., Australia
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
DogLady19 said:
Indeed! This is also a clear test whether a person is involved in a cult... A cult's leader will put himself above the teachings of Christ, and insist that his interpretation of scripture is the right one.

I witness to people in cults that are based on Christianity, and this is the prime reason they begin to question the leadership of the cult, and it is where cult leaders spend the most time scaring their followers into total submission.

Jesus is certainly warning us against false prophets and teachers in this passage of Matthew, as well as hypocrisy...
Thanks, DogLady19. You don't have to go to the extreme to see the dominance of a leader. A couple of the seeker-sensitive gurus seem to be close to that definition.

It is very dangerous to say that Jesus, in Matt 23:10 was opposing teachers. He was opposing dominant leaders/masters who opposed God the Master. There are too many other Scriptures that affirm the correct role of teacher. What the NT opposes is false teachers who teach false doctrine. See the article on Biblegateway, 'Exposing the false teachers'.

Oz

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
OzSpen said:
Why don't you deal with the issues that Wormwood and I have raised in opposition to your interpretation?
I just pointed out you disregarding Jesus' word.

Jesus taught us how to love our God and love one another. This is the core of Christianity.

Why do you have problem with it?

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joyful said:
Why don't you deal with the issues that Wormwood and I have raised in opposition to your interpretation?
I just pointed out you disregarding Jesus' word.

Jesus taught us how to love our God and love one another. This is the core of Christianity.

Why do you have problem with it?

I support the fact that we should love God and love one another. However, you are still not addressing the issues Wormwood and I have raised in response to your posts. That's the issue I'm raising, but you don't seem to be listening.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
OzSpen said:
I support the fact that we should love God and love one another. However, you are still not addressing the issues Wormwood and I have raised in response to your posts. That's the issue I'm raising, but you don't seem to be listening.
The issue I am focusing is too many Christians study other man's teachings instead of what Jesus teaches.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
OzSpen said:
That's a red herring fallacy of a reply.

Too bad that you cannot see my simple statement.

This is what I am talking about. Christians make Jesus' simple teachings complicated by studying man's teachings.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And post #134 and following illustrates what happens when you pick one verse to go with and willfully ignore the other verses on the same topic.

Titus 2:7-8 ESV
Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech that cannot be condemned, so that an opponent may be put to shame, having nothing evil to say about us.

As has already been highlighted by numerous folks who are studied and faithful - and I will personally attest to them - this is a clear case where you are taking one verse completely out of context and offering no actual reason for ignoring the other numerous verses on the topic (Open Bible is always a great quick place to start). Either refute the observation or you just need to admit the whole teacher thing is your personal opinion based solely upon your personal opinion of one verse.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
HammerStone said:
And post #134 and following illustrates what happens when you pick one verse to go with and willfully ignore the other verses on the same topic.
Are you saying my reasoning is out of context? How can you be out of context going by Jesus' own ward?

My faith is based on what Jesus says.

It becomes out of context when you disregard Jesus' word.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Joyful said:
Are you saying my reasoning is out of context? How can you be out of context going by Jesus' own ward?

My faith is based on what Jesus says.

It becomes out of context when you disregard Jesus' word.

You are wrong because you do not consider all that Jesus has revealed through the scriptures at the same time. The word of God does not disagree with itself. If you think it does that is due to misinterpretation.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joyful,

The point is that Jesus is clearly teaching his disciples (and us) that being his follower isn't about fancy titles and lording authority over others. He is not teaching that there are none who function as teachers in the body of Christ. Clearly there are dozens of passages that show that not only does the Church have teachers, but that it is a very important role that should be taken seriously. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit empowers some to function as teachers. Therefore, not only should we listen to teachers, but we should recognize that they are one of the ways in which the Holy Spirit edifies the Church. It is wise to learn from godly teachers in the past and present, and arrogant to think that no one else has anything to teach you about living the Christian life or understanding the Scriptures.

Again, the point here is that God uses teachers and we should listen to them. Yet, teachers that seek after titles, power and lording authority over others is inconsistent with the teaching of Christ and no one should seek the role of being a teacher for the sake of vain self-glory and titles. Make sense?

Reactions: Born_Again

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
lforrest said:
You are wrong because you do not consider all that Jesus has revealed through the scriptures at the same time. The word of God does not disagree with itself. If you think it does that is due to misinterpretation.
Well said! Reading a verse in context as well as understanding the culture of the day and the meaning of words (etymology) are important in arriving at a settled understanding of a verse. Interpretation involves these dynamics and we need to hold each other to account for dealing with these kinds of issues. However, I understand that some to not have access to resources necessary for culture and etymology. However, all of, whether reading the local newspaper or Scripture, need to reach an understanding, based on context.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wormwood said:
Joyful,

The point is that Jesus is clearly teaching his disciples (and us) that being his follower isn't about fancy titles and lording authority over others. He is not teaching that there are none who function as teachers in the body of Christ. Clearly there are dozens of passages that show that not only does the Church have teachers, but that it is a very important role that should be taken seriously. The Bible teaches that the Holy Spirit empowers some to function as teachers. Therefore, not only should we listen to teachers, but we should recognize that they are one of the ways in which the Holy Spirit edifies the Church. It is wise to learn from godly teachers in the past and present, and arrogant to think that no one else has anything to teach you about living the Christian life or understanding the Scriptures.

Again, the point here is that God uses teachers and we should listen to them. Yet, teachers that seek after titles, power and lording authority over others is inconsistent with the teaching of Christ and no one should seek the role of being a teacher for the sake of vain self-glory and titles. Make sense?
I am in full support. I would add that we are not robots who accept what any teacher promotes. We need to be Bereans, based on Acts 17:11 (NIV): 'Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true'. If they had to examine the Scriptures daily when Paul was the preacher, it is just as true today with pastor-teachers and other teachers.

There were false teachers in NT times, just as there will be today, hence the need to be Bereans in our approach to responding to teaching. We see this in examples such as 1 Tim 1:3-5 (NIV):
3 As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer 4 or to devote themselves to myths and endless genealogies. Such things promote controversial speculations rather than advancing God’s work—which is by faith. 5 The goal of this command is love, which comes from a pure heart and a good conscience and a sincere faith.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007

1. Wormwood said:
    Again, the point here is that God uses teachers and we should listen to them.
    why do you need man's teachings when we have direct teaching from Jesus Himself?

I don't.

Jesus teachings are much clearer and simpler than anyone elses.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Joyful said:
I am talking about Jesus' teachings. Christianity is supposed to be about His teachings.
With respect, that is not what the Bible teaches. It does teach this: 'All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work' (2 Tim 3:16-17 NIV).

So, ALL Scripture is from God and is useful/profitable for teaching. Christianity is not just abut Jesus' teachings. That's Bible!

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
OzSpen said:
With respect, that is not what the Bible teaches. It does teach this: 'All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work' (2 Tim 3:16-17 NIV).

So, ALL Scripture is from God and is useful/profitable for teaching. Christianity is not just abut Jesus' teachings. That's Bible!
That is an interesting verse.
We modern Christians think that Paul was referring to the Bible, of course.
But that is not possible. The Bible did not exist when Paul wrote that letter to Timothy.

Joyful

Jan 7, 2007
OzSpen said:
Of course it is but Jesus made it clear how to practice what is written.

OzSpen

Mar 30, 2015
spencer.gear.dyndns.org
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
That is an interesting verse.
We modern Christians think that Paul was referring to the Bible, of course.
But that is not possible. The Bible did not exist when Paul wrote that letter to Timothy.
Are you saying that at the time of the writing of the NT, that the OT was not the Bible for the people of that time? You are drawing a long bow with that view. You say, 'The Bible did not exist when Paul wrote' is not true. Why was the OT not the Bible until the NT was written? It is generally understood by NT scholars that 2 Tim 3:16 refers to the OT as 'Scripture'. Gleason Archer wrote in his consideration of 2 Tim 3:16:
'It would never have occurred to the Greek-speaking recipients of 2 Timothy to suppose that Paul could be referring to any other writings but the inspired and authoritative books of the Hebrew canon. Nor is there the slightest suggestion in any of the recorded utterances of Jesus Christ or His apostles - or indeed in any of the writings of the New Testament authors - that there were any portions of the Hebrew Scriptures that were not authoritative and inspire' (Archer 1982:417, emphasis in original).
I used to understand that 2 Tim. 3:16 and the reference to “all Scripture” is referring back to the OT. However, in recent times I’ve been asking some further questions of 2 Tim. 3:16-17 and 2 Peter 1:20-21. The following is some tentative thinking (I have not reached a finality yet.

1. Let’s look at 2 Tim. 3:15-17[1], including the verse before the two that you mentioned, (vv. 16-17): Second Tim. 3:15-17 (ESV) states,

“and how from childhood you have been acquainted with the sacred writings, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. [16] All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, [17] that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work.”
Here we have two groups of writings distinguished: “the sacred writings” of v. 15 and “all Scripture” of v. 16.

“All Scripture” (v. 16) seems to indicate everything that the Holy Spirit gave to the church as canonical and authoritative, OT and NT. When Paul wrote these words, was he referring to a body of literature that was more than the OT. We know this from:

1 Tim. 5:18 (ESV), “For the Scripture says, ‘You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain,’ and, ‘The laborer deserves his wages.’”

These two sayings are clearly co-ordinated. If the first is Scripture, than so is the second. Here we have a word spoken by Jesus that is on the same level of authority as a saying from the OT canon.

1. “You shall not muzzle an ox when it treads out the grain” comes from Deut. 25:4 (You’ll find a similar use by Paul in I Cor. 9:8-12).

2. Where do we find the saying, “The laborer deserves his wages”? Its precise wording is in Luke 10:7 (ESV), “And remain in the same house, eating and drinking what they provide, for the laborer deserves his wages. Do not go from house to house.” There is a slightly different form in Matthew 10:10 (ESV), “No bag for your journey, nor two tunics nor sandals nor a staff, for the laborer deserves his food.”

It is not an impossibility that Luke’s Gospel had been completed at the time of Paul’s writing to Timothy. My ESV Bible gives the date for 2 Timothy as “the final letter written by Paul (A.D. 64-68). The ESV states that ‘Luke, a physician and colleague of Paul, probably wrote this account in the early 60s A.D.”. If that is true, then the apostle Paul could have been quoting from Luke’s Gospel. But there is another possibility that Paul was quoting from a collection of sayings or oral tradition that was in circulation and used as a source for Luke (see Luke 1:1-4 ESV).

3. So, when we combine these two quotes in I Tim. 5:18 we are beginning to see that “Scripture” may refer to both OT and NT. So “all Scripture” (2 Tim. 3:16) also could refer to all that is breathed out by God — OT and NT.

We should not find this surprising, based on John 14:26 (ESV), “But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.”

There’s further information in 2 Peter 3:15-16 (ESV),
'And count the patience of our Lord as salvation, just as our beloved brother Paul also wrote to you according to the wisdom given him, [16] as he does in all his letters when he speaks in them of these matters. There are some things in them that are hard to understand, which the ignorant and unstable twist to their own destruction, as they do the other Scriptures.'
Peter, the apostle, confirms that Paul’s writings are of the SAME class as “the other Scriptures” (OT and NT).
I have not come to firm conclusions, but the above considerations do cause me to think again on the meaning of “all Scripture” in 2 Tim. 3:16.

These are just some thoughts from a fellow traveller. [2]

Notes:

[1] I received the basic information for the following content, from William Hendriksen, I & II Timothy & Titus (New Testament Commentary). Edinburgh: The Banner of Truth Trust, 1957, pp. 182, 301.

[2] The above is based on my article: “All Scripture” in 2 Timothy 3:16.

Works consulted

Archer, Gleason L 1982. Encyclopedia of Bible Difficulties. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Regency Reference Library (Zondervan Publishing House).

Oz

Status
Not open for further replies.