The Peaceable Fruit of Righteousness

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 12
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

If God chastens you, He's treating you as His son. Chastening, in the Greek, is to train as one trains a child.

Afterword, this training yields 'the peaceable fruit of righteousness'.

His chastening 'is for our profit'. His chastening is effective, it's purpose that we partake of his holiness.

If we are in truth God's children, then God will in fact train us, including as a child is trained, if that is what is needed, and it Will result in righteousness in our lives as we partake of His holiness.

And of course . . . this is a process. Chastening yields fruit.

Much love!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hebrews 12
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?
8 But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons.
9 Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?
10 For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.
11 Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

If God chastens you, He's treating you as His son. Chastening, in the Greek, is to train as one trains a child.

Afterword, this training yields 'the peaceable fruit of righteousness'.

His chastening 'is for our profit'. His chastening is effective, it's purpose that we partake of his holiness.

If we are in truth God's children, then God will in fact train us, including as a child is trained, if that is what is needed, and it Will result in righteousness in our lives as we partake of His holiness.

And of course . . . this is a process. Chastening yields fruit.

Much love!

Glorious.

Your title just revealed something to me that I hadn't seen before. Know what the peaceable fruit of righteousness is? It is enduring the gainsaying of sinners, and being able to respond to them peaceably even when railed against. This is implied in v.3 and reaffirmed in v.14-15, with the overall teaching being that we must become even stronger in proclaiming the truth, yet also even more armed with the strength to endure opposition, so that the Lord no longer has any need to correct and discipline us, having perfected our sanctification and conduct before the eyes of men. The teaching corresponds to James 3:13-18:

3 For consider him that hath endured such gainsaying of sinners against Himself, that you wax not weary, fainting in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin: 5 and ye have forgotten the exhortation which reasons with you as with sons, My son, regard not lightly the chastening of the Lord, Nor faint when thou art reproved of him...11 All chastening seems for the present to be not joyous but grievous; yet afterward it yields peaceable fruit unto them that have been exercised thereby, [even the fruit] of righteousness. 12 Therefore lift up the hands that hang down, and the palsied knees; 13 and make straight paths for your feet, that that which is lame be not turned out of the way, but rather be healed. 14 Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest [there be] any man that falls short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled. (Hebrew 12:3-5, 11-15)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Glorious.

Your title just revealed something to me that I hadn't seen before. Know what the peaceable fruit of righteousness is? It is enduring the gainsaying of sinners, and being able to respond to them peaceably even when railed against. This is implied in v.3 and reaffirmed in v.14-15, with the overall teaching being that we must become even stronger in proclaiming the truth, yet also even more armed with the strength to endure opposition, so that the Lord no longer has any need to correct and discipline us, having perfected our sanctification and conduct before the eyes of men. The teaching corresponds to James 3:13-18:

3 For consider him that hath endured such gainsaying of sinners against Himself, that you wax not weary, fainting in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin: 5 and ye have forgotten the exhortation which reasons with you as with sons, My son, regard not lightly the chastening of the Lord, Nor faint when thou art reproved of him...11 All chastening seems for the present to be not joyous but grievous; yet afterward it yields peaceable fruit unto them that have been exercised thereby, [even the fruit] of righteousness. 12 Therefore lift up the hands that hang down, and the palsied knees; 13 and make straight paths for your feet, that that which is lame be not turned out of the way, but rather be healed. 14 Follow after peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no man shall see the Lord: 15 looking carefully lest [there be] any man that falls short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled. (Hebrew 12:3-5, 11-15)
That's good! I'm rebounding off of you, bro!

I wasn't connecting this with the gainsaying of sinners! Stiving against sin (within) and sinners (without).

It comes to mind . . . no longer having something to prove.

When we are "fixed" inside, we no longer get into our own way, and yes, I like that! The peaceable fruit of righteousness gives us a better life, and a better ministry.

This is what I'm on the forum for!

Much love!

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's good! I'm rebounding off of you, bro!

I wasn't connecting this with the gainsaying of sinners! Stiving against sin (within) and sinners (without).

I have to admit, I have not yet resisted unto blood in opposing sin either. Jews and Gentiles who despised the gospel made believers to suffer terribly, and Christians around the world suffer terribly for it today. The most I get is a little tongue lashing on the forums, LoL. But it can be something to get used to, especially if you are easily effected emotionally by such things. But it's all good. As James said, count it all joy when you suffer diverse trials, knowing that trials build endurance. But let endurance have its perfected work, that you come behind in nothing."
It comes to mind . . . no longer having something to prove.

When we are "fixed" inside, we no longer get into our own way

Absolutely. And I think maybe that's the biggest part of it. We want to save face. We need to be seen as some great "rabbi," so we get ugly. But getting ugly does not display righteousness. Correcting and exposing sin can come off like being "ugly" to begin with, so all the more reason that we need to exhibit a Spirit of peaceableness when doing it. Always looking to "make peace" as James referred to it, despite saying things that in the short term can be hard for others to have to endure.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 For consider him that hath endured such gainsaying of sinners against Himself, that you wax not weary, fainting in your souls. 4 You have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin:... 11 All chastening seems for the present to be not joyous but grievous; yet afterward it yields peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them that have been exercised thereby.

Thought I'd post the James passage to show the same expression used in both:

13 Who is wise and understanding among you? let him show by his good life his works in meekness of wisdom. 14 But if ye have bitter jealousy and faction in your heart, glory not and lie not against the truth. 15 This wisdom is not [a wisdom] that cometh down from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish. 16 For where jealousy and faction are, there is confusion and every vile deed. 17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them making peace. (James 3:13-18)

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But it's all good. As James said, count it all joy when you suffer diverse trials, knowing that trials build endurance. But let endurance have its perfected work, that you come behind in nothing."
Just so. Afflictions truly do build glory!

Romans 5
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

It's perfect work, so you come behind in nothing . . .

In Romans 5, "hope maketh not ashamed", this is present tense, it's about right now.

Tribulation hits, and we endure through it, and we see God work in it (experience), and this builds our confidence that He will do what He said, and this won't dissappoint us . . . now.

We can have confidence that our afflictions WILL in fact produce that which they are there for. Both the righteousness to respond to temptations and sin, and the righteousness to respond to the sinners who are against us.

17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them making peace. (James 3:13-18)

This is a good meditation.

Much love!

Absolutely. And I think maybe that's the biggest part of it. We want to save face. We need to be seen as some great "rabbi," so we get ugly. But getting ugly does not display righteousness. Correcting and exposing sin can come off like being "ugly" to begin with, so all the more reason that we need to exhibit a Spirit of peaceableness when doing it. Always looking to "make peace" as James referred to it, despite saying things that in the short term can be hard for others to have to endure.

I find that the way of the Spirit is so very different than our own ways. Even the notion of "correcting and exposing sin", well, once God has revealed to us more fully the depths of sin in us, that is, in our flesh, and how subtly this affects us, until our actions are so different from His, yet we don't see it.

But after God has done this revealing and cleansing work in us, and we see His loving hand through it all, and how He works in ways that really are beyond our wisdom, this can dramatically change how we go about ministering to people.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Just so. Afflictions truly do build glory!

Romans 5
3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

It's perfect work, so you come behind in nothing . . .

In Romans 5, "hope maketh not ashamed", this is present tense, it's about right now.

Tribulation hits, and we endure through it, and we see God work in it (experience), and this builds our confidence that He will do what He said, and this won't dissappoint us . . . now.

We can have confidence that our afflictions WILL in fact produce that which they are there for. Both the righteousness to respond to temptations and sin, and the righteousness to respond to the sinners who are against us.

17 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without variance, without hypocrisy. 18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them making peace. (James 3:13-18)

This is a good meditation.

Much love!

I find that the way of the Spirit is so very different than our own ways. Even the notion of "correcting and exposing sin", well, once God has revealed to us more fully the depths of sin in us, that is, in our flesh, and how subtly this affects us, until our actions are so different from His, yet we don't see it.

But after God has done this revealing and cleansing work in us, and we see His loving hand through it all, and how He works in ways that really are beyond our wisdom, this can dramatically change how we go about ministering to people.
Searching verses there...

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace for them making peace. (James 3:13-18)

Always looking to "make peace" as James referred to it, despite saying things that in the short term can be hard for others to have to endure.

consider ‘make peace’ with who? Isaiah 27:4-5 Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together. [5] Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.

James 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
consider ‘make peace’ with who? Isaiah 27:4-5 Fury is not in me: who would set the briers and thorns against me in battle? I would go through them, I would burn them together. [5] Or let him take hold of my strength, that he may make peace with me; and he shall make peace with me.

James 3:18 And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Yes. They are actually at odds with the Lord Himself, which is why James got on them so strongly about being spiritual adulteresses. Out of a desire to be seen as great "teachers," they give themselves to strife and vain-glory to receive admiration and respect from the world. But in so doing, they make themselves enemies of God (James 4:4-11).

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. They are actually at odds with the Lord Himself, which is why James got on them so strongly about being spiritual adulteresses. Out of a desire to be seen as great "teachers," they give themselves to strife and vain-glory to receive admiration and respect from the world. But in so doing, they make themselves enemies of God (James 4:4-11).
Often wondered about that ‘friendship with the world’ James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Luke 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Often wondered about that ‘friendship with the world’ James 4:4 Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.

Well, two different passages. As for James 4:4, the Greek word "friendship" here is better translated as "love," because the context is of them being adulteresses, where their spiritual infidelity to God is implied.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, two different passages. As for James 4:4, the Greek word "friendship" here is better translated as "love," because the context is of them being adulteresses, where their spiritual infidelity to God is implied.

Concerning the ‘peaceable fruit of righteousness’, how does that fit with love not the world and neither the things in it?
Matthew 5:44-48 How is it possible to ‘love your enemies’
How to bless those who hate you?
How to pray for those who despise and use you?
If you salute your brothers only...what more do you do than others who seek their own?
if you love only them who love you ...then do you not already have your reward? How is it possible, when bitterness and hurt is present instead of the peaceable fruit of righteousness. Instead you are offended? I ask, because I’m becoming more bitter every day. There is this disappointment growing that seems to be overcoming my life and thoughts.

Reactions: Hidden In Him

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Concerning the ‘peaceable fruit of righteousness’, how does that fit with love not the world and neither the things in it?
If you salute your brothers only...what more do you do than others who seek their own?
if you love only them who love you ...then do you not already have your reward? How is it possible, when bitterness and hurt is present instead of the peaceable fruit of righteousness. Instead you are offended? I ask, because I’m becoming more bitter every day. There is this disappointment growing that seems to be overcoming my life and thoughts.

I hear you, Victory, and if you want to know the truth, you asked the right person at the right time. I'm experiencing the same kind of thing lately. The answer - and I'm speaking to myself as much as to you here - is to separate yourself unto God. There will come times in your life when no one will be there for you, and the only things you seem to encounter are thoughtlessness and inconsideration. But the answer is found in Christ. You go to Him and Him alone as the One Person you can count on. Isolate yourself completely to Him. Cut yourself off from everyone, and just spend time with Him, away from the world. You don't always have to be praying, but just separate yourself out to Him, so you're not hearing any other voices discouraging you anymore. I still log on to the forums a little because it gives me a chance to maybe minister, which for me is another way of spending time with Him. But for the most part I'm isolating myself out right now, from everyone, including my wife.

So pray for me and I will pray for you. He'll take care of us. Sometimes He's the only One who can.

God Bless,
- C

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A thread you might find interesting as well, sister:

When the Holy Spirit rebukes You

Reactions: VictoryinJesus