The phoniness of Catholicism

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You all ready have twice, now its up to you
I haven’t condemned you even ONCE.
If I have – point me to the post.

I simply showed you the Scriptural warning about what happens to liars.
If it scared or offended you – then MAYBE you should change your ways . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
I haven’t condemned you even ONCE
dang bol, still on that loop? years now, eh?
I doubt if there are any perfect Christian denominations.
right? And i gotta say that confessing in a dark closet to a guy you call “father” is prolly better than not confessing at all, which seems to be the Prot way. Also Catholics seem really good at forgiveness, also not a strong suit with most Prots imo

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
right? And i gotta say that confessing in a dark closet to a guy you call “father” is prolly better than not confessing at all, which seems to be the Prot way. Also Catholics seem really good at forgiveness, also not a strong suit with most Prots imo

Closet confessions to funny,

Reactions: bbyrd009

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's a shame that YOU weren't wround during the early days of the Ancient Chgurch when peopl confessed their sins in front of the entire congregation.
The Church, in her wisdon and guided by the Holy Spirit (John 16:12-15) eventually changed this process to a private confession.

Not only does it help a person to be more forthcoming with their penitence for their sin - it doesn't invite the gossip and judgement from their fellow believers.
And with the kinds of poster sI see on this forum alone - I can see where that would have been a HUGE problem in the Early Church.

Jesus
granted His Apostles and their successors the Authority to FORGIVE OR RETAIN sins in His name - and sealed that Authority with the Holy Spirit (John 20:21-23)
THANK GOD
for giving His Church wisdom in this matter . . .

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
bc God forbid anyone should actually admit any wrongdoing in the moment, in the same setting in which it was committed, right?

in that vein i would also mention those who take you aside to confess some slight, in a virtual whisper? watch those ppl, ok
ya, i guess? until you contrast it with what we functionally have anyway, which is no one admitting to the smallest little transgression for fear of the lack of forgiveness they will suffer.

i said “sounds like something i would do” over the radio yesterday, and ive been hearing about it ever since lol (in a good way)

Last edited:
Reactions: BeyondET

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
It's a shame that YOU weren't wround during the early days of the Ancient Chgurch when peopl confessed their sins in front of the entire congregation.
The Church, in her wisdon and guided by the Holy Spirit (John 16:12-15) eventually changed this process to a private confession.

Not only does it help a person to be more forthcoming with their penitence for their sin - it doesn't invite the gossip and judgement from their fellow believers.
And with the kinds of poster sI see on this forum alone - I can see where that would have been a HUGE problem in the Early Church.

Jesus
granted His Apostles and their successors the Authority to FORGIVE OR RETAIN sins in His name - and sealed that Authority with the Holy Spirit (John 20:21-23)
THANK GOD
seems to work just fine for Roman Catholics, i gotta admit :)

howya been bol, ltns!

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to work just fine for Roman Catholics, i gotta admit :)

howya been bol, ltns!
It works for ALL Catholics - not just those in the Roman Rite.
Long time no hear from. Hopew all is well.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I haven’t condemned you even ONCE
dang bol, still on that loop? years now, eh?

And do Catholics attack people who stand up for them?

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus
THANK GOD

Do you have any documentation to prove people in ancient church confess their sins infront of the whole congregation. If you dont its a fable made up statement.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
oh, i didnt mean for that to be taken as all-inclusive, by any means; just an impression
That's sort of funny. You say, "Also Catholics seem really good at forgiveness, also not a strong suit with most Prots imo," and then you say, "oh, i didnt mean for that to be taken as all-inclusive, by any means; just an impression." That's like me saying you are a terrible person, but when you ask me about it, I say, "Well, I didn't totally mean it."

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
well, what can i say bol, Christians are supposed to confess one to another, according to the Bible? which granted neither one has much to do with the RCC i guess
As Christians, we ARE supposed to confess our sins to one another (James 5:16).
If we sin against a fellow believer- we are supposed to confess to THEM.

However, as I said before - Jesus granted His Apostles and their successors the Authority to FORGIVE OR RETAIN sins in His name - and sealed that Authority with the Holy Spirit (John 20:21-23. If I commit a sin that is not against one of my brethren - I don't confess that sin to them, but to the Church.

In the end, we confess our sains to our brethren for their forgiveness - but we also need to come to God with contrite hearts to seek HIS forgiveness.

Reactions: bbyrd009

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you have any documentation to prove people in ancient church confess their sins infront of the whole congregation. If you dont its a fable made up statement.
Yup.
Here are 2 perfect examples from the ancient Churchh on the act of public confession:

The Didache

Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure” (Didache 4:14, 14:1 [A.D. 70]).

This is an illustration of the Penitential Rite during the Eucharistic celebration (the Mass). We STILL have the Penitential Rite during the Liturgy of the Word at every Mass, though we don't publicly proclaim our sins.

Cyprian of Carthage
“Sinners may do penance for a set time, and according to the rules of discipline come to public confession, and by imposition of the hand of the bishop and clergy receive the right of Communion. [1 Cor. 11:27]” (Letters 9:2 [A.D. 253]).

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
That's sort of funny. You say, "Also Catholics seem really good at forgiveness, also not a strong suit with most Prots imo," and then you say, "oh, i didnt mean for that to be taken as all-inclusive, by any means; just an impression." That's like me saying you are a terrible person, but when you ask me about it, I say, "Well, I didn't totally mean it."
lol
generalizing is usually dangerous huh

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yup.
Here are 2 perfect examples from the ancient Churchh on the act of public confession:

The Didache

Confess your sins in church, and do not go up to your prayer with an evil conscience. This is the way of life. . . . On the Lord’s Day gather together, break bread, and give thanks, after confessing your transgressions so that your sacrifice may be pure” (Didache 4:14, 14:1 [A.D. 70]).

This is an illustration of the Penitential Rite during the Eucharistic celebration (the Mass). We STILL have the Penitential Rite during the Liturgy of the Word at every Mass, though we don't publicly proclaim our sins.

Cyprian of Carthage
“Sinners may do penance for a set time, and according to the rules of discipline come to public confession, and by imposition of the hand of the bishop and clergy receive the right of Communion. [1 Cor. 11:27]” (Letters 9:2 [A.D. 253]).
Thats not a document, its something you copied anyone can make statements on the internet you know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.