The Popular False Justification and False Sanctification View Today.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Unlike you…. I back up my questions with Scripture and I strive not to ask questions out of thin air or my thoughts alone. If you ask your question based upon a verse or a certain set of verses, then we have something to talk about. Your question is simply focused on the sayings of Protestants. I don’t trust all of the sayings of Protestants because many of their claims are false. So you have to back up your questions with Scripture. But if you were paying attention, I did reply to you with Scripture as an answer. You just have not been listening. The proof is that you said yourself that you ignore one of my longer posts.
Do you ever stop to think that you yourself fail the standard you believe is neccessary to be saved? Doesn't it bother you, that you preach a message you cannot live up to in your own life?
Jesus reserved his harshest words for the religious who did that.

Reactions: Charlie24

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
works can not justify us for guaranteed salvation. But then again neither can faith. There are many requirements listed and we are expected to do our best at living them.
Faith in God's promise of a Son is the only thing that can transform a person into a saved child of God in a born again experience. The obedience of righteous behavior has zero effect toward that end. There is no amount of righteous living that can do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim B

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you ever stop to think that you yourself fail the standard you believe is neccessary to be saved? Doesn't it bother you, that you preach a message you cannot live up to in your own life?
Jesus reserved his harshest words for the religious who did that.

Who said that don’t believe it is possible?
Doesn’t it bother you that you have to twist Scripture that talks about holy living as a part of salvation? Want about your twisting of Philippians 2:12? How do you sleep at night?

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Doesn’t it bother you that you have to twist Scripture that talks about holy living as a part of salvation? Want about your twisting of Philippians 2:12? How do you sleep at night?
You wrote:
1John2:4 basically says that the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them. Your belief says your not ruled by sin, and yet, you don’t mean every sin. So this means that technically you are not keeping His commandments. This is a dangerous place to be because 1 John 2:4 condemns your position.[/QUOTE]
I responded:
OK
If you ever fasted, have you ever so much as hinted to others you have fasted?
If someone stole something of yours, would you give them more than what they stole gladly, with nothing but love in your heart for them?
Do you truly in your heart love your enemies, those who may mistreat you, say unkind things about you?
Do you not invite friends and family home for a meal, but rather the lame, blind and beggars so you may receive your reward in Heaven?
If someone asked to lend from you, would you gladly give to them without ever expecting anything back?
If you are persecuted do you truly leap for joy?
So what shall we conclude from your wooden, literalistic understanding of scripture?
You are a liar and the truth is not in you?

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I dont twist scripture, but you have to understand the context and bring the bible into alignment as one cohesive whole. You cannot do that, for you are limited to randomly quoting the letter with no true understanding of the message the letter contains. And by your wooden literalistic understanding of random scriptures you are condemned, for you cannot live up to what you demand of others

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
1 John 1:8 is a warning to brethren about the false gnostic belief that denies the existence of sin. So 1 John 1:8 is saying, if we say we have no sin [if we do sin], we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. Christian Scientists think sin is an illusion and so this verse would be a warning to them. Most Protestants believe sin physically exists, but they don’t think sin exists for them on a spiritual level because Jesus paid for all their future sin by a belief alone in Jesus as the Savior. So most Protestants are denying sin on a spiritual level.

But the Bible warns against this kind of false belief.

And yet, according to your own belief you commit sin regularly do you not, for you don't even try and obey each and every command of Christ do you. This is what is wrong with christianity. People just preaching a message they don't even try to live up to in their own life. It shuts people out of the kingdom of Heaven. Jesus called it hypocrisy, and he reserved his harshest words for the religious who did it

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Everyone who dies goes to hell sir, it is the abode of the dead the grave.
That is hades sir.

Hell is where satan and his angels go. And those who are found not written in the book of life.

Believers do not go to hades, they go to paradise. To be absent from the body is to be present with the lord as the good book says. Thats only for believers not non believers

The only way to keep you from going to hades is to accept the gift of salvation.

Daniel777

May 15, 2022
Central Valley
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember, God forgives us of our past sins. However, what we do in the future is our own choice: Colossians 1:22-23 tells us: "But now he has reconciled you by Christ’s physical body through death to present you holy in his sight, without blemish and free from accusation—if you continue in your faith, established and firm, and do not move from the hope held out in the gospel."

That's a mighty big "if."

Reactions: Bible Highlighter

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And yet, according to your own belief you commit sin regularly do you not, for you don't even try and obey each and every command of Christ do you. This is what is wrong with christianity. People just preaching a message they don't even try to live up to in their own life. It shuts people out of the kingdom of Heaven. Jesus called it hypocrisy, and he reserved his harshest words for the religious who did it

Well, I don’t justify sin, dear sir; And I am willing to face the music if I don’t meet the standard in living properly or holy for the Lord in this life. I believe in working out my salvation with fear and trembling. You are not willing to do that. I believe in honoring God’s Word. You have created a fantasy to make yourself feel better as you twist Scripture to you own destruction. Actually, your belief is hypocritical. You say that keep God’s laws and then you also say you break them. Even worse, you are preaching a license to sin under God’s grace based on a false interpretation of 1 John 1:8.

Anyone can do evil while under God’s grace. That’s easy. But God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).

Jesus said strive to enter the straight gate.
Your way doesn’t sound like that. So I will continue to trust God’s Word and not Protestant sayings.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont twist scripture, but you have to understand the context and bring the bible into alignment as one cohesive whole. You cannot do that, for you are limited to randomly quoting the letter with no true understanding of the message the letter contains. And by your wooden literalistic understanding of random scriptures you are condemned, for you cannot live up to what you demand of others

Well, I didn’t write the Bible. God did. So I don’t demand anything. God’s Word demands things of us believers. I am just a messenger of God’s Word and I am simply relaying to you what it says. If you don’t like what the Bible says, then that’s on you. If you disagree with my interpretation, then you need to prove your case biblically how it is not so.

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How do you know I commit sin regularly? You don’t know my heart, thoughts, or life. You are not God to be able to know all of what I do. Only God can truly make that determination.

Reactions: Candidus

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You wrote:
1John2:4 basically says that the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them. Your belief says your not ruled by sin, and yet, you don’t mean every sin. So this means that technically you are not keeping His commandments. This is a dangerous place to be because 1 John 2:4 condemns your position.
I responded:
OK
If you ever fasted, have you ever so much as hinted to others you have fasted?
If someone stole something of yours, would you give them more than what they stole gladly, with nothing but love in your heart for them?
Do you truly in your heart love your enemies, those who may mistreat you, say unkind things about you?
Do you not invite friends and family home for a meal, but rather the lame, blind and beggars so you may receive your reward in Heaven?
If someone asked to lend from you, would you gladly give to them without ever expecting anything back?
If you are persecuted do you truly leap for joy?
So what shall we conclude from your wooden, literalistic understanding of scripture?
You are a liar and the truth is not in you?

So you don’t believe God gives a person grace to do all these things in this life? When does God demand that we must do them daily or weekly or even monthly? Are these kinds of commands if broken the kind of sin that leads unto spiritual death? Can a believer help the poor in other ways and that does not count? You need to make your case that the commands you mentioned are attached with warnings of hellfire or condemnation if we disobey them. It does not appear you truly know God’s commands well in the New Testament. It just seems like they are impossible for you and everyone else to do in this life (So you simply disregard them). I don’t believe that. With God all things are possible.

As for loving your enemies: Yes, I do that. I also believe in lending to others and expect it in return. I also have rejoiced and leaped for joy when others have falsely accused me.

Note: I do believe that not loving your enemies can be a salvation issue. We are to forgive or we will not be forgiven (Matthew 6:15).

Last edited:

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well, I don’t justify sin, dear sir; And I am willing to face the music if I don’t meet the standard in living properly or holy for the Lord in this life. I believe in working out my salvation with fear and trembling. You are not willing to do that. I believe in honoring God’s Word. You have created a fantasy to make yourself feel better as you twist Scripture to you own destruction. Actually, your belief is hypocritical. You say that keep God’s laws and then you also say you break them. Even worse, you are preaching a license to sin under God’s grace based on a false interpretation of 1 John 1:8.

Anyone can do evil while under God’s grace. That’s easy. But God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).

Jesus said strive to enter the straight gate.
Your way doesn’t sound like that. So I will continue to trust God’s Word and not Protestant sayings.
All you do bible highlighter is to woodenly recite the letter without understanding of the message contained it. You insist of others to enter Heaven what you do not even try to do in your own life. That is hypocrisy, and the way of the pharisees of Jesus day. The fact you are limited to only quoting the letter at length, because you understand little of the meat of the word, is no excuse. Every time you post you ignore the second greatest commandment, for there is no love of others in demanding of them what you do not demand of yourself to enter heaven

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Well, I didn’t write the Bible. God did. So I don’t demand anything. God’s Word demands things of us believers. I am just a messenger of God’s Word and I am simply relaying to you what it says. If you don’t like what the Bible says, then that’s on you. If you disagree with my interpretation, then you need to prove your case biblically how it is not so.
You can hardly even give an interpretation, you cannot discern that which is written, you can only woodenly quote the letter at random. Paul believed the corinthian church was ''the church of God in Corinth'' They would have failed all your tests to be in a saved state.

savedbygrace1

Jun 1, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
How do you know I commit sin regularly? You don’t know my heart, thoughts, or life. You are not God to be able to know all of what I do. Only God can truly make that determination.
1John2:4 basically says that the person who says they know the Lord and they do not keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them.

According to your own statements you sin regularly. You wrote the above. Just words reeled off from your head. But as you do not even try and obey so many of Jesus commands, according to what you write we would have to conclude you are a liar and the truth is not in you(thats from your words written) But then you quote John 8 and say Jesus means anyone who commits one sin is a slave to sin, and you bemoan me for admitting I am not sinless. Can you not see how absurd all this is. If we put everything you write together, according to your very limited understanding, you are a slave to sin which leads to death, you would be a liar and the truth is not in you, you are a hypocrite because you demand of others what you do not even try to adhere to yourself. Im going to stop there, but Ive only been truthful

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
faith and works are tied together and they cannot be separated.
They have a symbiotic relationship.
A CONTINUED FAITH cannot be by faith alone, but it will have it’s work (So as to make our FAITH perfect).
Yes. But the part you're not getting is the works that accompany faith in no way make the person righteous. Faith all by itself does that. You become born again by having faith in the blood of Christ for the forgiveness of sin, all by itself, not by doing works of righteousness.

Paul was not making a blanket statement in Romans 4:2 to condemn even the works of faith that follow after one is saved by God’s grace.
You seem to understand that a person is born again by faith all by itself, and then the saved person performs works of righteousness. But then you say faith and the works that faith produces are what make a person righteous.

Last edited:

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem is that you try to separate faith from works.
The problem is that you basically make no distinction between faith and works. You seem to wrap both faith and works up in a package and simply stamp "faith" on the package. Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit, but according to you, both faith and works are the root of salvation.

You say it is the evidence of faith (which is a contradictory statement by you), and if so… then it is not separate from the faith.
Works are the evidence of faith, but not the very essence of faith, so works are separate from faith. Faith is faith and works are works. No contradiction at all.

For James says he will SHOW you his faith by his works (James 2:18).
Yes, SHOW not establish. Big difference.

James says you can make your faith perfect by works (James 2:22).
In James 2:22, faith made perfect or complete by works means bring to maturity, to complete like love in 1 John 4:18. It does not mean that Abraham was finally saved based on merits of his works after he offered up Isaac on the altar in Genesis 22. When Abraham performed the good work in Genesis 22; he fulfilled the expectations created by the pronouncement of his faith in Genesis 15:6.

James is referring to what Paul said in 1 Thessalonians 1:3, and 2 Thessalonians 1:11 (a thing called, “the work of faith”). More accurately it would be called “faith which worketh by love.” (Galatians 5:6).
I find it interesting that you mentioned 1 Thessalonians 1:3. I was recently in a discussion with a works-salvationist who attends the church of Christ and he was making the same argument about faith and works that you are making. He teaches that we are saved by faith "conjoined" with works and basically makes no distinction between faith and works. Notice the words "work of" faith, "labor of" love and "patience of" hope in 1 Thessalonians 1:3. These are the practical outworking of the Thessalonians' conversion. The "work" the Thessalonians do is a result or consequence of their faith. So too their "labor" flows from love and their "endurance" comes from hope. Work "of" faith does not mean that faith in essence is the work accomplished or that we are saved by works that are produced "out of" faith. Faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1) Faith is not works. Their work is a result or consequence "of" their faith. The work done is "of" faith or done "out of" faith. Faith was already established at conversion and then the work followed as a result or consequence "of" faith. I've heard other works-salvationists (including Roman Catholics) try to turn work "of" faith into work "is" faith and end up making no distinction between faith and works that follow as a result of faith as well. The end result of course is salvation by faith and works.

Works (after we are saved by God’s grace) justify us before God because they show us our faith.
Works can only justify us in the sense of being "shown to be righteous." (James 2:14-24) We are justified (accounted as righteous) by faith, not works. (Romans 4:2-6)

They are a part of the faith.
"Part" of faith would make them the very essence of faith, which is false. Works are the fruit, by product and demonstrative evidence of faith, but not the essence of faith and not the basis or means by which we obtain salvation.

But you try to separate faith from works (When that’s not what the Bible teaches).
Faith and works are not one in essence, so they are separate in essence. Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. Just as the root from a tree is separate from the fruit that is produced from the nutrients that flow through the root of the tree and produce the fruit.

Romans 10:17 says faith comes by hearing, and hearing the Word of God. That’s hearing the WHOLE BIBLE.
It doesn't take reading the whole Bible in order to establish faith in Christ for salvation.

The whole Bible is a part of the faith.
The whole Bible is God's word. Faith is faith and the whole Bible is the whole Bible.

More specifically, the New Testament are the more specific instructions for us Christians. We have to believe these instructions by faith. So it’s a part of the faith. That’s what you don’t understand.
I understand perfectly that you confuse faith in Christ for salvation with believing and obeying instructions from the Bible "out of" faith. This is how you end up with salvation by faith and works.

Romans 4:2 is referring to “Works ALONE Salvationism” (without God’s grace) via by a person thinking falsely that they had to first be circumcised to be initially saved (See: Acts of the Apostles 15:1, Galatians 5:2, Galatians 2:3, Romans 3:1, Romans 4:9-12).
Nobody teaches "works alone" with no faith whatsoever salvation. Circumcision was one stumbling block for the Jews, but it's not the only stumbling block and it's only one work. Romans 4:2 said "if" Abraham was justified by "works" and not merely circumcision. Paul goes on to say that "faith is accounted as righteousness" (vs. 5) and that God imputes righteousness "apart from works." (vs. 6) So there are no works in the equation here.

But believers are initially saved by God’s grace and mercy (without works) in their Initial Salvation (Ephesians 2:8-9) (Romans 4:3-5) (Titus 3:5).
Not saved by works in general and not only initially, but finally as well. (1 Peter 1:9) Sorry to burst your bubble, but from beginning to end Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of His finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. No boasting for you.

In Romans 4: Paul is not referring to the secondary aspect of salvation in being saved in the Sanctification Process by the Spirit after one is saved by God’s grace. Paul teaches that Sanctification is also for salvation (See: 2 Thessalonians 2:13, and Romans 8:13). For God’s grace teaches us to deny ungodliness and that we should live righteously and godly in this present world (Titus 2:11-12).
Progressive sanctification is not about working for our salvation, but working out the salvation that we already have in Christ. Denying ungodliness and living righteously and godly in this present world is what we are saved FOR and NOT BY. You have this backwards and the end result is works salvation.

In Romans 4:2: Paul is NOT referring to works of faith (that shows our faith). Paul is fighting against the Jews’ false thinking and their belief of circumcision to be saved (See: Romans 3:1). Paul is attacking false works done for God.
Romans 4:2 is not merely limited to circumcision. Romans 4:2 clearly states that Abraham was NOT justified (accounted as righteous) by works. In James 2:21, we see that Abraham was justified (shown to be righteous) by works and circumcision is not even mentioned. The work of offering up his son Isaac on the altar is the work in view. Elsewhere, Paul clearly stated that it's not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saves us.. (Titus 3:5) and that God saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works.. (2 Timothy 1:9) so it's not merely circumcision, but works in general which includes works of faith. Works of "righteousness" can only be produced "out of" faith. You need to place in JESUS CHRIST ALONE FOR SALVATION and stop trusting in works. You are on very dangerous ground!

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Faith without works is dead (James 2:17).
For the umpteenth time, "faith without works is dead" does not mean that faith is dead until it produces works and then it becomes a living faith or that works are the source of life in faith. James is simply saying faith that is not accompanied by evidential works demonstrates that it's dead. If someone merely says-claims they have faith, but lack resulting evidential works, then they have an empty profession of faith/dead faith and not authentic faith. (James 2:14) It takes a living faith to produce works, (Ephesians 2:5-10) just as it takes a living tree to produce fruit.

We both agree that this would be a CONTINUED faith, and not our Initial Faith in being saved by God’s grace (without works). However, where we disagree is that you think these works are non-salvific.
Teaching that works are salvific is where we absolutely disagree. We are not saved by works. Period. (Romans 4:5-6; Ephesians 2:8,9; Titus 3:5; 2 Timothy 1:9)

Yet, if one does not have these works in their continued faith, then they are not saved (even according to you).
We are saved by faith apart from the merit of works, yet authentic faith does not remain alone from the presence of works. This does not make works salvific.

So that means… works of faith are necessary as a part of salvation.
Works only show our faith, but they do not establish it. We are saved by faith at it's origin. Works being the fruit of faith does not make them part of salvation. Faith is the root of salvation and works are the fruit. By making works part of salvation, this gives you boasting rights, which is really what tickles your ears. You want credit.

For can a believer live out their faith their WHOLE LIFE and not have works and be saved? According to you, this is not possible.
All genuine believers are fruitful, yet not all are equally fruitful. (Matthew 13:23) The thief on the cross died the same day of his conversion and how many works did he accomplish on that cross before his death? He rebuked the other thief and asked Jesus to remember him when he comes into His kingdom, demonstrating his faith in Jesus. That's it. The thief was still saved through faith.

This means that works then are necessary part of our faith and salvation. Point, blank, period.
Absolutely false. Making works "part" of faith and salvation means that salvation is by works, which is condemned in scripture. Point, blank, period. Roman Catholics, Mormons, Campbellites and other works-salvationists make the same error that you are making and the end result is salvation by faith (their version of faith) and works. It's a real shame to see so much zeal wasted on unbelief. :(

Unless you say that you can be saved by FAITH ALONE your whole life living out the faith (with no works), then you are not really for FAITH ALONE (without works) for salvation. That’s why you contradict yourself.
Salvation through FAITH ALONE means that we are saved by placing our faith in JESUS CHRIST ALONE FOR SALVATION. The works that follow and are produced "out of" faith are the FRUIT of salvation, BUT NOT THE ROOT OF IT. No contradiction on my part. You just don't get it.

Ferris Bueller

Sep 9, 2020
Middle South
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This kind of CONTINUED faith will not save him (if it is barren and unfruitful).
This proves my case that you need to have works of faith to be saved.
...but not to be born again. And that is the point you are missing.

You only have to have works of faith to be saved (when Jesus comes back) in the sense that they are the evidence of having been born again by faith apart from the merit of works. Even you used the word 'evidence' when talking about works of faith:
James is talking about CONTINUED FAITH that is evidence by the WORK of FAITH.
Works are the evidence of being born again/saved, not the way you are born again/saved. Even when Jesus comes back, your works don't make you a saved person. They show you to be a saved person.

Reactions: mailmandan

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm aware that many are adding to the requirement of faith in Christ.

If salvation requires our "doing" to please God, none of us will make it.

That's the reason God made it simple for fallen man, undeserving Grace.

Anything, I said anything added to that Grace makes our salvation "void and of none effect."

Actually Charlie the Bible states otherwise sir, although a small amount of the population Mat 7:13,14 many will be preserved. In fact an innumerable great crowd will survive the upcoming tribulation as seen at Rev 7:9,14