The Primary Purpose of the Bible

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just read this on Facebook:

The primary purpose of reading the Bible is not to know the Bible but to know God.

Touching Lives
Yes--however, the two are not opposites, and are not opposed to one another. To know the Bible properly is to come to know God. I would agree that reading the Bible not to know God but only to learn what it says is an exercise in futility. The Scriptures were designed so that men could come into a covenant relationship with God, therefore knowing Him and benefiting from this relationship.

Reactions: marks and L.A.M.B.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I just read this on Facebook:

The primary purpose of reading the Bible is not to know the Bible but to know God.

Touching Lives
Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Php 3:8 Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ,
Php 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;

Reactions: Bob Estey

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Knowing the bible doesn't make you a Christian. There is an organisation whose members seem to know their bibles very well but are not Christians because they don't believe in spiritual re-birth.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

Pierac

Nov 15, 2021
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question you have to ask... Is what is the Bible?

The New Testament.... Talks about Scripture...about 25 to 30 years after the words in the NT were spoken... So not sure we can apply Scripture to the actual conversation happening... then recorded many years later?

Let's look at just a few...

Mar 12:10 "Have you not even read this Scripture: 'THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone;

Luk 4:21 And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing."

Joh 2:22 So when He was raised from the dead, His disciples remembered that He said this; and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had spoken.

Joh 17:12 "While I was with them, I was keeping them in Your name which You have given Me; and I guarded them and not one of them perished but the son of perdition, so that the Scripture would be fulfilled.

Act 1:16 "Brethren, the Scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit foretold by the mouth of David concerning Judas, who became a guide to those who arrested Jesus.

Act 8:32 Now the passage of Scripture which he was reading was this: "HE WAS LED AS A SHEEP TO SLAUGHTER; AND AS A LAMB BEFORE ITS SHEARER IS SILENT, SO HE DOES NOT OPEN HIS MOUTH.

Act 8:35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and beginning from this Scripture he preached Jesus to him.

Rom 4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS."

Now for the truth....

2Ti 3:16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;

Yet... the New Testament had not yet been written... So according to Jesus and all His disciples.... and Paul.... Scripture was all... before thier time in history... So what do you mean by Bible????

Just asking....
Paul

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes--however, the two are not opposites, and are not opposed to one another. To know the Bible properly is to come to know God. I would agree that reading the Bible not to know God but only to learn what it says is an exercise in futility. The Scriptures were designed so that men could come into a covenant relationship with God, therefore knowing Him and benefiting from this relationship.
God and Jesus are quoted often in the Bible. One should know what they have to say, shouldn't they?

But, of course, the object is to get to know the Lord, I believe.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God and Jesus are quoted often in the Bible. One should know what they have to say, shouldn't they?

But, of course, the object is to get to know the Lord, I believe.
Yes, we read the Bible to hear what God and Jesus have to say, and to also hear what the Prophets had to say, and to hear what the Apostles had to say, etc. In doing this, we are in fact being led to pursue a relationship with God and with Jesus.

I don't know know what the motive is for each person to read the Scriptures. I hope they are pursuing a relationship with God, as you suggested.

Reactions: Bob Estey