The True Gospel

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The True Gospel.

I would like to share with you what I understand to be the true, more complete gospel, which virtually all churches miscommunicate.

Jesus gave us one primary commandment, which is two-fold. All other subsequent commandments uphold his primary, new commandment, and they are not burdensome.

*[1Jo 3:23-24 NASB95] 23 This is His commandment, that we **believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another**, just as He commanded us. 24 **The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.***

*[1Jo 5:3 NASB95] 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and **His commandments are not burdensome.***

​

* We are to believe on the Son of God; his death for our sins, burial, and resurrection.

* We are to cease from sin and obey his commandment to love one another. Again, it's not too difficult. If we do this til the end, we will be saved.

​

In Romans 7-8, Paul explained that in Christ we are released from our bondage to sin, so we really never have to sin again, or even operate under the assumption that we will sin again.

*[Rom 6:1-2 NASB95] 1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! **How shall we who died to sin still live in it?***

*[Rom 7:6 NASB95] 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.*

*[Rom 8:12-13 NASB95] 12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh-- 13 for **if you are living according to the flesh, you must die**; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.*

​

If we do sin, we can repent and confess it, but it really should not be a chronic issue or struggle.

*[1Jo 2:1 NASB95] 1 My little children, **I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin**. And **if anyone sins**, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;*

​

Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the god of this world. We are to crucify the flesh with its passions and desires to move on to maturity.

*[Gal 5:24 NASB95] 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.*

​

At most, sin should be a rare anomaly in our lives.

*[1Pe 4:1-3 NASB95] 1 Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, **arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God. 3 For the time already past is sufficient [for you] to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles**, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.*"

----Pleronomicon (Reddit)

Reactions: amadeus

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The True Gospel.

I would like to share with you what I understand to be the true, more complete gospel, which virtually all churches miscommunicate.

Jesus gave us one primary commandment, which is two-fold. All other subsequent commandments uphold his primary, new commandment, and they are not burdensome.

*[1Jo 3:23-24 NASB95] 23 This is His commandment, that we **believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another**, just as He commanded us. 24 **The one who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.***

*[1Jo 5:3 NASB95] 3 For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and **His commandments are not burdensome.***

​

* We are to believe on the Son of God; his death for our sins, burial, and resurrection.
100% spot on
* We are to cease from sin and obey his commandment to love one another. Again, it's not too difficult. If we do this til the end, we will be saved.
This is 100% spot off.

Thus puts us under law. not under grace.
​

In Romans 7-8, Paul explained that in Christ we are released from our bondage to sin, so we really never have to sin again, or even operate under the assumption that we will sin again.

*[Rom 6:1-2 NASB95] 1 What shall we say then? Are we to continue in sin so that grace may increase? 2 May it never be! **How shall we who died to sin still live in it?***

*[Rom 7:6 NASB95] 6 But now we have been released from the Law, having died to that by which we were bound, so that we serve in newness of the Spirit and not in oldness of the letter.*

*[Rom 8:12-13 NASB95] 12 So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh-- 13 for **if you are living according to the flesh, you must die**; but if by the Spirit you are putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.*

​

If we do sin, we can repent and confess it, but it really should not be a chronic issue or struggle.
John said if we say we have no sin we deceive ourselves.

I agree, we will sin, and we should confess it. But the gospel is not about us being forgiven for a personal sin. John 7 shows that Jesus forgives based on our faith. Not our begging his forgiveness (the woman never confessed, or did she ask for forgiveness, Yet Jesus said he did not condemn her also.

he also did not say I will forgive you as long as you do not sin again, He pleaded with her to grow in faith in him, by not sinning in this manner again

*[1Jo 2:1 NASB95] 1 My little children, **I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin**. And **if anyone sins**, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous;*

​

Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the god of this world. We are to crucify the flesh with its passions and desires to move on to maturity.

*[Gal 5:24 NASB95] 24 Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.*

​

*[1Pe 4:1-3 NASB95] 1 Therefore, since Christ has suffered in the flesh, **arm yourselves also with the same purpose, because he who has suffered in the flesh has ceased from sin, 2 so as to live the rest of the time in the flesh no longer for the lusts of men, but for the will of God. 3 For the time already past is sufficient [for you] to have carried out the desire of the Gentiles**, having pursued a course of sensuality, lusts, drunkenness, carousing, drinking parties and abominable idolatries.*"

Again, I agree.

But I think most of us especially new believers do not even understand what sin is.. So to say they will all of a sudden be super mature believers and save themselves by not sinning.. or sinning less. Would be in error.

Reactions: Debp and Nancy

Wick Stick

Sep 21, 2023
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mostly agree with what you've written here, except that I don't find any mention of the Kingdom of God. I don't think you can declare the gospel without saying something about the Kingdom.

Also, was confused by the end...
I tried to look it up and didn't find a definition. The name of some sort of reference book? My Greek is pretty meh but seems like it should mean something like "complete list of names." Am I close?

Reactions: Soyeong

Wynona

Staff member
Encounter Team
Jan 27, 2021
North Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mostly agree with what you've written here, except that I don't find any mention of the Kingdom of God. I don't think you can declare the gospel without saying something about the Kingdom.

Also, was confused by the end...

I tried to look it up and didn't find a definition. The name of some sort of reference book? My Greek is pretty meh but seems like it should mean something like "complete list of names." Am I close?
Pleronomicon is the username of the user who wrote the message on the social media platform Reddit. I was trying to giving him credit for writing it.

I would say "Repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand" is a great way to introduce the gospel.

Windmillcharge

Dec 21, 2017
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The True Gospel
15 Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. 1 Tim 1.

Do you presume upon the riches of his kindness not realising that his ki d ess is meant to bring us to repentance.

Who are we to place limits upon who God will forgive.

Soyeong

Jan 29, 2024
Hudson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The True Gospel.

​

​

​

​

​

In Matthew 4:15-23, Jesus began his ministry with the Gospel message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand, which was a light to the Gentiles, and the Mosaic Law was how his audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Gospel message.

Reactions: Wynona

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Should our understanding of what the true Gospel is also include 1 Corinthians 15:1-4?

15 Now I make known to you, brothers and sisters, the gospel which I preached to you, which you also received, in which you also stand, 2 by which you also are saved, if you hold firmly to the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain.

3 For I handed down to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, 5 and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. 6 After that He appeared to more than five hundred brothers and sisters at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; 7 then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; 8 and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also.

Reactions: Nancy

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The true gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16) To "believe" the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL-sufficient means of our salvation.

The gospel is a message of grace that is to be received through faith. The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation. (Acts 10:43; 15:7-9; 16:31; Romans 3:24-28; 4:5-6; 5:1; Ephesians 2:8,9; Philippians 3:9 etc..).

Reactions: Nancy