The problem with the Bible alone!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don’t have an issue with scripture
I have issues with the doctrine the “Bible alone”
Traditions.... Rituals... Repetitive prayers do NOTHING for our position in Christ... Everything we NEED/REQUIRE for Salvation is
in the BIBLE ALONE.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi T.F.
Pretty sure the eunuch WAS reading scripture, O.T. scripture pertaining to the coming Messiah.

Yes, you are correct, many back then could not read the written word so, those who could, read the O.T. scriptures to them. "Faith comes by "hearing" and "hearing" by the word of God" As we now COULD phrase that we could use the word "reading" as we do now have the New Testament, they did not have what we now have, but only what the Apostles of Christ taught them, in word or epistle.

We are to feast on His word as it is written:

Matthew 4:4
"But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God."

So how can the rule of faith be the “Bible alone”? and not the teaching authority of the apostles

Reactions: Nancy

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible is authored by Jehovah, penned by His people, for His people. Jesus sends disciples from among God's people to assist others in understanding it's passages Mat 28:19,20; Acts 8:30,31

I don’t have an issue with the Bible, only with the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” as opposed to the true Christian rule of faith! The teaching authority of the apostles and their successors

the Bible was not assembled and approved until 381 by the apostles btw

Only the apostles said what is and what is not scripture

What did Christians do in all those years without the “Bible alone”

until the advent of printing bibles were copied by hand and very rare and extremely expensive what did Christians do in those days

Most people were illiterate until the 20th century what did they do?

So you see the “Bible Alone” cannot be the rule of faith for Christians!

Instead we actually believe scripture and submit to and obey the apostles acts 2:42

An Apologetic Sheepdog

Aug 12, 2021
Atlanta, Ga
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The 12 Apostles ( those with the office) were long dead by then and didn't 'approve" anything- the rest are just people wearing mans titles.

You have produced nothing saying otherwise

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Traditions.... Rituals... Repetitive prayers do NOTHING for our position in Christ... Everything we NEED/REQUIRE for Salvation is
in the BIBLE ALONE.

accept the Bible does not say so

have you put on Christ?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The 12 Apostles ( those with the office) were long dead by then and didn't 'approve" anything- the rest are just people wearing mans titles.

You have produced nothing saying otherwise

Matt 28:19 I am with you (his apostles) until the end
Until he returns
The nations still need to be taught, the disciples must be baptized, salvation must be available to all men thru his church and apostles

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in the BIBLE ALONE.

the ritual of Christian baptism is required for salvation

it is interesting that Christ gives new life to the apostles only!

God breathe’s life!

1st creation:

Genesis 2:7
And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

New creation:

John 20:22
And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

and they impart it to us thru the ritual of Christian baptism

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So how can the rule of faith be the “Bible alone”? and not the teaching authority of the apostles

The Word of God is simply the base, where we can discern by comparing scripture with scripture. Our faith grows the more we read and study it as it is profitable for EVERYTHING we need to grow spiritually. And as a brother on here once said "the more we feast upon His word, the more the things of "this" world fade...attractions diminish, temptations we gave into ALL the time seem to lose their power.
I no longer attend the brick and mortar buildings called "church's" as, much of the gospel has been so watered down, and not a fan of the rock concerts before a service.

The "teaching authority of the Apostles" to me IS the scriptures as it was them that mostly wrote the N.T. same thing, they taught what we now read in print so, nothing is lost of their teachings.

I say "bible alone" simply meaning that I filter everything I hear through the word. "Many false teachers..." Be a Berean! Men are fallible, the word of God is God inspired...cannot see where anything at all changes with the Didache and "the rule of faith"...can't please Him without faith :)

Reactions: amadeus

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
the ritual of Christian baptism is required for salvation
Baptism is NOT a ritual.... It is an event... that occurs for a believer... and it is found in the bible.

There is absolutely NO problem with the bible... the problem is with FAITHS who choose to ADD to it.

I see this discussion is STILL going on.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Word of God is simply the base, where we can discern by comparing scripture with scripture. Our faith grows the more we read and study it as it is profitable for EVERYTHING we need to grow spiritually. And as a brother on here once said "the more we feast upon His word, the more the things of "this" world fade...attractions diminish, temptations we gave into ALL the time seem to lose their power.
I no longer attend the brick and mortar buildings called "church's" as, much of the gospel has been so watered down, and not a fan of the rock concerts before a service.

The "teaching authority of the Apostles" to me IS the scriptures as it was them that mostly wrote the N.T. same thing, they taught what we now read in print so, nothing is lost of their teachings.

I say "bible alone" simply meaning that I filter everything I hear through the word. "Many false teachers..." Be a Berean! Men are fallible, the word of God is God inspired...cannot see where anything at all changes with the Didache and "the rule of faith"...can't please Him without faith :)

the Bible yes of course but the Bible alone is a rejection of the teaching of the Bible

what does acts 2:42 say?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is NOT a ritual.... It is an event... that occurs for a believer... and it is found in the bible.

There is absolutely NO problem with the bible... the problem is with FAITHS who choose to ADD to it.

I see this discussion is STILL going on.

1. 2 Peter 1:20
    Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Does baptism wash away sin?
    Does baptism unite us to the death of Christ?
    Does baptism make us a member of Christ and his church?
    Does baptism save us?

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
the Bible yes of course but the Bible alone is a rejection of the teaching of the Bible

what does acts 2:42 say?
"42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."

Yes, the very same doctrines we NOW have abundantly in print, or on tape. The above verse is for ALL who are followers of Christ, not just the 12.

1 Peter 3:15
"15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"

2 Timothy 2:15
"15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

2 Timothy 4:5
"5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry."

1 Corinthians 11:1-2
"1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. 2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you."

Do you not believe in evangelism for all Christians?

Reactions: amadeus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers."

Yes, the very same doctrines we NOW have abundantly in print, or on tape. The above verse is for ALL who are followers of Christ, not just the 12.

1 Peter 3:15
"15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,"

2 Timothy 2:15
"15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

2 Timothy 4:5
"5 But you, keep your head in all situations, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, discharge all the duties of your ministry."

1 Corinthians 11:1-2
"1 Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. 2 I praise you for remembering me in everything and for holding to the traditions just as I passed them on to you."

Do you not believe in evangelism for all Christians?

no only the apostles have been given the great commission
We are to give a good example and pray for sinners not to preach the gospel

Do you have to submit and obey the apostles who have care for your soul?

Hebrews 13:17
Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
in the BIBLE ALONE.
That's NOT what the Bible says . . .

Regarding your rejection of Repetitious Prayer -
- In Matt. 26:44, Christ prayed the exact same prayer - THREE times in the Garden of Gethsemane after the Last Supper.

- In the Parable of the Determined Widow in Luke 18:7, Jesus emphatically states that God hears those who keep petitioning him in sincere faith: “Will not God then secure the rights of his chosen ones who call out to him day and night? Will he be slow to answer them? I tell you, he will see to it that justice is done for them speedily.”

- In Luke 18:13, the tax collector kept beating his breast and praying, “God be merciful to me, a sinner.” This was pleasing to God.

- We see in Rev. 4:8 that the angels pray the exact same prayer - day and night without ceasing in the presence of almighty God, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty.”

- Psalm 136 goes on for 26 verses in a row, repeating the exact same prayer, “God's love endures forever”.

- In Dan. 3:56-88 we read the exact same prayer for 32 verses, which is “bless the Lord; praise and exalt him above all forever.”

Regarding your disdain for Ritual . . .
- We are COMMANDED to be Baptized, which is a RITUAL (John 4:5, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38).

- Marriage is a RITUAL (Gen. 2:4, Eph. 5:31).

- Praying over and anointing the Sick is a RITUAL (James 5:14-15).

- A Funeral is RITUAL (John 19:38-42).

As for your condemnation of Tradition . . .
- Matt. 2:23 - the prophecy "He shall be a Nazarene" is ORAL TRADITION. It is not found in the Old Testament.

- Matt 23:2 - Jesus relies on the ORAL TRADITION of acknowledging Moses' seat of authority (which passed from Moses to Joshua to the Sanhedrin).
This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

- John 19:26; 20:2; 21:20,24 - knowing that the "beloved disciple" is John is inferred from Scripture, but is also largely ORAL TRADITION.

- 1 Cor. 10:4 -
Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the rock following Moses. It is not recorded in the Old Testament.

- 2 Timothy 3:8 - Paul relies on the ORAL TRADITION when speaking of Pharoah’s magicians, Jannes and Jambres. Their names are not recorded in the Old Testament.

- Heb. 11:37 - the author of Hebrews relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the martyrs being sawed in two. This is not recorded in the Old Testament.

- Jude 9 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of the Archangel Michael's dispute with satan over Moses' body. This is not found in the Old Testament.

- Jude 14-15 - Jude relies on the ORAL TRADITION of Enoch's prophecy which is not recorded in the Old Testament.

The Lesson here is:
If you're going to CLAIM to believe in Sola Scriptura - and I don't know WHY you would, since it's unbiblical - then you'd better be prepared to PRACTICE what the Bible teaches . . .

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Great.

Sooooo, perhaps, you can show me where the Bible tells us WHICH Books belong in it.
Can you show me that verse?

While you're at it - can you point me to the pages that teach Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, Limited Atonement and accepting Jesus as "Personal Lord and Savior"?

Chapter
and Verse, please so I can make notes.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We are COMMANDED to be Baptized, which is a RITUAL (John 4:5, Mark 16:16, Acts 2:38).

- Marriage is a RITUAL (Gen. 2:4, Eph. 5:31).

- Praying over and anointing the Sick is a RITUAL (James 5:14-15).

- A Funeral is RITUAL (John 19:38-42).

These are EVENTS.... because they happen once or twice in a life time... ( some people get re-baptized after their original Catholic baptism ).
These examples are NOT accurate. All these events... are found in the BIBLE. If the Catholic Church followed the bible... it would be a Christian religion instead of a cult.

The rosary would be considered a repetitive prayer = ritual....the apostles creed ...act of contrition... all those pre-worded go-to prayers recited during the mass ....... communion itself.
All these things are repetitive rituals because they are performed in the exact same manner.... on a frequent basis...

They do NOTHING to achieve SALVATION. They are simply REPETITIVE actions demanded to be followed by the church.... that keep the members STUCK and DEPENDENT to the organization of RCC. It's all fear-based manipulation. Similar to what you do to people here @BOL.

You forgot to mention confession... there's another good one.... (say the Lord's prayer 15 times and you are forgiven)... This one is a double whammy because not only must one CONFESS their business to a priest.... BUT.... the church claims the ability to FORGIVE sins.... AMAZING.... but yet another LIE of the RCC. Only CHRIST can forgive our sins... but confession is indeed good for the soul.... Just be careful of any man who falsely claims the ability to forgive you... LOL

YEP.... there is no doubt that the catholic church embraces all kinds of rituals.... That is very clear. The list goes on and on... Sadly... many people are still brainwashed.

The fact that you quoted me @BOL suggests that you are looking for some drama.... Sorry but I am fresh out... It is not a pleasant thing communicating with you. You bring nothing but condemnation to the forums. NOT my cup of tea.

I will NEVER support the institution called RCC.... It is an evil place.

Last edited:

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t have an issue with the Bible, only with the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” as opposed to the true Christian rule of faith! The teaching authority of the apostles and their successors

What did Christians do in all those years without the “Bible alone”

until the advent of printing bibles were copied by hand and very rare and extremely expensive what did Christians do in those days

Most people were illiterate until the 20th century what did they do?

Instead we actually believe scripture and submit to and obey the apostles acts 2:42

There are parts of the Bible that date way prior to 381 sir, but I fully agree, and maybe you agree on that point as well, that there is a reason why we Christians are sent. Although the Bible is complete, it is through us that the word is understood Acts 8:30,31

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are parts of the Bible that date way prior to 381 sir, but I fully agree, and maybe you agree on that point as well, that there is a reason why we Christians are sent. Although the Bible is complete, it is through us that the word is understood Acts 8:30,31

only thru the teaching authority of the apostles Matt 28:19
We are the nations to be taught
Lk 1:4 acts 8 the eunuch had scripture God sent an apostle

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the Bible had been believed, there would never have been the necessity for unbelieving councils to offer divergent opinions on certain truths they couldn't understand.

the Bible alone produces 30000 sects all teaching errors

Status
Not open for further replies.