The problem with the Bible alone!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If that abject ignorance of faith was on the part of the Catholic Church, I would agree. It was the abject ignorance and distaste of a priest for anyone becoming converted that convinced me the church was wanting.
No - it's on the individual.

There are people in every PROTESTANT denomination who are ignorant of their faith as well.
This is not an exclusively "Catholic" problem.

I worked with a girl whom I was able to easily convince leaving the SDA sect and return to the Church because of her ignorance of SDA beliefs and practices. This happens in reverse very often as well.

As usual - you're full of cheap shots instead of useful information . . .

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well.... I don't think you will find ANYWHERE within my words... where I have insulted any HUMAN BEING.... I have however shown disdain for the INSTITUTION of the Catholic church..... there is a difference. Anyways.... I will try to remember that Catholicism is NOT a pleasant or even permissible topic for me... Pray for my WISDOM... LOL

which Catholic Church

the true church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles
Or the counterfeit Vatican 2 church the apostasy that came in after Pius 12?

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
which Catholic Churc
You must be bored to have quoted me.... READ what you quoted...

I will try to remember that Catholicism is NOT a pleasant or even permissible topic for me... Pray for my WISDOM... LOL

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has said everything He has already said and everything He has to say in the Bible. Everything else that has been said and is being said is the presumed invention of man. When people ignore the authority of the Bible, they turn their back on the authority of God, and depart from the Gospel of Christ.

The way to eternal life in Christ is narrow and few find it. Only those who hold to the exclusive authority of the Bible and the truth contained in it concerning Christ and what He did for us on the Cross, and put their full trust in Christ as He is described in the Gospels, will get through the narrow gate.

Hell will be populated by those who refuse the exclusive authority of the Bible over all the traditions of man. This is because the traditions of those who add them to the Bible actually make the Word of God of no effect for them. And because this is so, Christ is of no effect for them, and Christ is the only way anyone can be saved.

Church councils never decided the canon of Scripture. All they did was to ratify the canon that already existed from the early days of the church.

typical fundamentalist brainwashing

what is the pillar and ground of truth?

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Do you believe in and discern these scriptures?
"But the anointing which ye have received from Him abideth in you, and ye have no need that any man teach you. But as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him. 1 John 2:27

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you."
John 14:26

Context Context Context
Take the second one first. As with John 16:13, John 14:26 was addressed to the apostles not all Christians. They were the leaders of the Church, the successors of those apostles that the Holy Spirit will teach all things guide into all truth. They in their turn will teach us.

1 John 2:27 is a good example of that. but the anointing which you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you; as his anointing teaches you about everything, and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him.

The context is that John is writing to Christians who he personally has catechised, taught them everything, taught them the truth. He addresses them as “my children” (vs 1) and “beloved” (vs 7). However they are in danger of being led astray by false teachers. That is the context. And we need to start at vs 20 to get the immediate context.
20. But you have been anointed by the Holy One, and you all know.
(Footnotes say some manuscripts say “you know everything” instead of you all know.)
They know because John has taught them.

21 I write to you, not because you do not know the truth, but because you know it… [because John has taught them].

24 Let what you heard from the beginning abide in you[what they have already been taught]. If what you heard from the beginning [what they have already been taught] abides in you, then you will abide in the Son and in the Father.

26 I write this to you about those who would deceive you [John is concerned that they are being taught falsely].

Now vs 27 in this context:
27 but the anointing which you received from him abides in you, and you have no need that any one should teach you [because they have already been taught by John]; as his anointing teaches you about everything [that they have been taught], and is true, and is no lie, just as it has taught you, abide in him.

This is equivalent to the promise Jesus made to the apostles in John 14:26 ....the Holy Spirit.. [will] ...bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

The Holy Spirit would bring to mind all the true teaching they had already received. That presupposes that they had already received true teaching. But you have to get that true teaching first. You cannot generate it from your own resources. You cannot reach the truth by starting from scratch, but only by receiving it from those who have already been taught it and can pass it on. Then when you are presented with false teaching, the Holy Spirit will bring to mind the truth that you have already been taught.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Different Phillip sir. Last questions No; No; No. In this time period it is only Jesus who has been given the authority to forgive sins.

how do you know it’s a different Philip?

not from the Bible alone!

only Jesus forgive sins?

not what the Bible says?
Bible ain’t enough for you?
Jn 20:21-23

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You must be bored to have quoted me.... READ what you quoted...

I will try to remember that Catholicism is NOT a pleasant or even permissible topic for me... Pray for my WISDOM... LOL

I think you’re just confused by the apostasy that’s been happening

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think you’re just confused by the apostasy that’s been happening
I think you're just being DISRESPECTFUL by TRYING to fish me into a topic I do not desire to discuss. I have no patience for stuff
like this.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you're just being DISRESPECTFUL by TRYING to fish me into a topic I do not desire to discuss. I have no patience for stuff
like this.
Ok
At least know the one true universal church was founded by Christ! Matt 16:18

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, and no one comes to the Father except by Him.
Wrong.

He is the Truth (John 14:6) - but His CHURCH is the Pillar and Foundation of that Truth (1 Tim. 3:15).
Jesus equates His very SELF with His Church (Acts 9:4-5).

I see where that may have confused you . . .

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did not address this in the other thread @theefaith and I doubt you will here ...
Sola Scriptura, like all principles of how to live life, do not have to be proven because it is not evidence based. The principle of Sola Scriptura is a pure rejection of that heretical denomination known as the RCC. In short, Sola Scriptura is the principle that followers of Christ do not need "the church" that claims dominion over men under various pretexts.

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus Christ. He is the Way, the Truth and the Life, and no one comes to the Father except by Him.

Clearly, it is the RCC position that they are our only mediator to Christ. They have in effect, made themselves our only mediator to the divine co-equality with Christ.

It's all power driven; they seek power over others.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did not address this in the other thread @theefaith and I doubt you will here ...
Sola Scriptura, like all principles of how to live life, do not have to be proven because it is not evidence based. The principle of Sola Scriptura is a pure rejection of that heretical denomination known as the RCC. In short, Sola Scriptura is the principle that followers of Christ do not need "the church" that claims dominion over men under various pretexts.
This post wins for "Most Asinine Post of the Thread".

Sola Scriptura means Scripture Alone is our SOLE Authority.
When YOU say that it doesn't have to be proven by Scripture - you are DENYING the very Authority you purport to be our "SOLE" Authority.
You're a living, breathing contradiction.

You are right about ONE thing, however - there is NO evidence for it.

BreadOfLife

Jan 2, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Clearly, it is the RCC position that they are our only mediator to Christ. They have in effect, made themselves our only mediator to the divine co-equality with Christ.

It's all power driven; they seek power over others.
This statement doesn't even make sense in its complete absurdity.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We all agree that the Scriptures are God breathed, but so are the Apostles.
John 20:22 – the Lord “breathes” on the apostles, and then gives them the power to forgive and retain sins. The only other moment in Scripture where God breathes on man is in Gen. 2:7, when the Lord “breathes” divine life into man. When this happens, a significant transformation takes place.
read more here
We all agree that the Scriptures are God-breathed? Even when Paul says women can't speak in churches? I've never seen a church where women don't speak. In some churches, women do most of the work.

LTJMP14

Aug 25, 2021
Southeastern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with the “Bible alone”!

You can easily see why the false doctrine of the “Bible alone” causes so many problems and why we can simply ignor creeds, councils, dogma, and decrees of the holy apostles teaching infallibility with the authority of Christ!

“Bible alone” is false doctrine
Negates the word of God, apostolic councils, creeds, cannons, decrees, dogma, and the teaching authority of the apostles!

The false doctrine of “the Bible Alone” is an attack on Christ and His holy church!
Christ and his church are one acts 9:4
To reject the church or church teaching is to reject Christ!

An attack on the holy church and her divine authority!

Even Christ who is the truth itself is excluded!

Scratch these verses that refer to authority other than the “Bible Alone” our of your Bible!

Isa 22:21-22 Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Lk 1:32 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 15:5 Jn 16:13 Jn 20:21-22 Jn 21:17 Acts 1:17 acts 1:26 acts 2:42 acts 8:31 & 35 acts 20:28 eph 2:20 and too many more to mention!
When you say "church", to which denomination are you referring?

Status
Not open for further replies.