The Restrainer

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3)
And for you the lesson from that verse would be that if you are born again you should be easily able to look into the future (by God's grace and the indwelling Holy Spirit), and see the visible Kingdom of God established on earth, as described in Scripture, not once but 100 times.

I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed. (Dan 7:13,14)

You have denied the future literal reality of this worldwide Kingdom of God under Christ many times. You have denied the literal reality of the Millennium also. So now you have to ask yourself a serious question: Can I really see the Kingdom of God, or am I just fooling myself by DENYING, DENYING, DENYING. Am I really born again?

D

Dave L

And for you the lesson from that verse would be that if you are born again you should be easily able to look into the future (by God's grace and the indwelling Holy Spirit), and see the visible Kingdom of God established on earth, as described in Scripture, not once but 100 times.

I saw in the night visions, and, behold, one like the Son of man came with the clouds of heaven, and came to the Ancient of days, and they brought him near before him. And there was given him dominion, and glory, and a kingdom, that all people, nations, and languages, should serve him: his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom that which shall not be destroyed. (Dan 7:13,14)

You have denied the future literal reality of this worldwide Kingdom of God under Christ many times. You have denied the literal reality of the Millennium also. So now you have to ask yourself a serious question: Can I really see the Kingdom of God, or am I just fooling myself by DENYING, DENYING, DENYING. Am I really born again?
You are adding to Jesus' words and to the book of Revelation with your pharisaic ideas about a future physical kingdom.

Phoneman777

Jan 14, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, this might get some varied reactions; I'm hoping that a reasonable, biblical based discussion can be held on the topic anyway.

But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. Or how can someone enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house...
And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.
-Matthew 12:28–29,32

Let no one deceive you in any way. For that day will not come, unless the rebellion comes first, and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the son of destruction, who opposes and exalts himself against every so-called god or object of worship, so that he takes his seat in the temple of God, proclaiming himself to be God. Do you not remember that when I was still with you I told you these things? And you know what is restraining him now so that he may be revealed in his time. For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work. Only he who now restrains it will do so until he is out of the way. And then the lawless one will be revealed, whom the Lord Jesus will kill with the breath of his mouth and bring to nothing by the appearance of his coming. The coming of the lawless one is by the activity of Satan with all power and false signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness. -2 Thessalonians 2:3–12

The Thousand Years
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven, holding in his hand the key to the bottomless pit and a great chain. And he seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years, and threw him into the pit, and shut it and sealed it over him, so that he might not deceive the nations any longer, until the thousand years were ended. After that he must be released for a little while.

The Defeat of Satan
And when the thousand years are ended, Satan will be released from his prison and will come out to deceive the nations that are at the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them for battle; their number is like the sand of the sea. And they marched up over the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, but fire came down from heaven and consumed them, (ESV)
-Revelation 20:1–3, Revelation 20:7–9

Okay, so...where am I going with this? In all three of these passages we see these ideas: Satan deceives against God's truth; that's how he controls, ultimately, the nations, enhancing their already sinful desires to do his biding against the people of God.
We see that there is a time when Satan is prevented from deceiving the nations to some extent by some force/person...he is bound, or restrained.
There is also a time when he will be 'released', to go forth and deceive again, with specific intent to gather the nations against the people of God.

My thought is that these three passages are linked. Their content is too similar to ignore.
"Bind/Bound": to hold or restrict by force or obligation; tie or fasten, to restrain.
"Restrain": prevent (someone or something) from doing something; keep under control or within limits. Control, deprive.

If they are linked, then they also shed some light on some other issues. Matthew 12 shows us that Jesus 'bound' the strongman so as to 'plunder' his house. In other words...Satan, the acknowledged 'prince of this world', was bound so "the Kingdom is upon you". The gospel news of Christ spread across the globe like nothing ever previously witnessed. Even now, Christianity, while the highest persecuted religion, is still sitting at the top, number wise. The 'prince of this world' has not been able to stop the gospel going forth, even though he and his demons have no doubt tried. As Christ said, "I will build my Church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it." The Kingdom marches now.

2 Thess 2 tells us that troubling times will come. The 'Man of lawlessness' will arise, his coming empowered by Satan and his false signs, wonders and....'all wicked deception'. That this man is being 'restrained' by something, and that his coming will be with Satan's deception.
This leads us to Revelation 20, when we are told that Satan will be bound against decieving the nations, but at the end of time will be let out 'for a little while' to deceive the nations 'to gather them together for war' against the people of God.
What we know about this 'man of lawlessness', often termed the Antichrist, is that he will persecute the people of God with a passion. He will lie like a pig in mud, and deceive everyone into thinking he is divine by working miracles. He indeed must have Satan's powers behind him.

By now, you see where I'm going. The kingdom is now; the Millennial Kingdom. Satan has been bound while the gospel has progressed across the globe. And as we see persecution against Christians rise, we must ask ourselves, has Satan been 'released' to bring forth his final man of deception? His final push against the people of God? Will we possibly see this end time fulfillment in our time, or could this 'little season' be longer and more dreadful than we think? Or, do we think the increased persecution we see today is just part of the inevitable ebb and flow, as horrible as it is, against Christians. That in a generation things won't be so bad, and perhaps the Post-Mills have it right after all!?

Looking forward to civil and thoughtful debate with all!
The Early Church Fathers wrote that the early church was taught by Paul that the Restrainer was the ROMAN EMPIRE, which after it fell, the the "Man of Sin" Antichrist system would arise. When Pagan Rome fell, the Antichrist Papal Rome arose.

Early Church Fathers Were Historicist – H. Grattan Guinness

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi Naomi25. I know you're in a different eschatological camp and so we're probably going to disagree a bit. Here are a few of my thoughts. I'll get back later.

My thought is that these three passages are linked.

They do seem to have similar content yeah.

Even now, Christianity, while the highest persecuted religion, is still sitting at the top, number wise

I think the fact that this persecution is so prevalent can be interpreted as evidence that Satan and his forces have not yet been bound in the way these scriptures suggest. I believe there is ample evidence that the nations of the world today are deceived by forces rulers principalities in high places, and if Satan were truly bound at this time, antichristianity would not be as widespread as it is now.

As an aside, I agree Isaiah 65:20 describes that our longevity will be increased as much as 10x fold during the real Millenial reign.

It’s so weird what I quoted above, I’ve never read this translation before.
Who opposes and exalts himself against every so called god and object of worship?
Just a question has Jesus done this?
And also NT says the law is not for a righteous man, is Jesus lawless?

It is not wise to ask such questions or to carry on in this line of thinking.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Naomi25. I know you're in a different eschatological camp and so we're probably going to disagree a bit. Here are a few of my thoughts. I'll get back later.

They do seem to have similar content yeah.

I think the fact that this persecution is so prevalent can be interpreted as evidence that Satan and his forces have not yet been bound in the way these scriptures suggest. I believe there is ample evidence that the nations of the world today are deceived by forces rulers principalities in high places, and if Satan were truly bound at this time, antichristianity would not be as widespread as it is now.

As an aside, I agree Isaiah 65:20 describes that our longevity will be increased as much as 10x fold during the real Millenial reign.

It is not wise to ask such questions or to carry on in this line of thinking.
Can you answer the question? No one has yet

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is there a Temple in heaven where Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father?

Does Jesus exalt himself against every so called god and object of worship?

Is Jesus accountable to mans laws?

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That’s the way I see it. The op translation says he sits in the temple of (GOD) opposes himself against all so called (gods) and instruments of worship?

As a futurist, I believe this is talking about the physical 3rd temple that will be rebuilt in Jerusalem in the future. He will convince the Jewish people who have not yet accepted Christ that he is their Messiah and this will anger God so much that He will act again like He did in the OT.

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Asking if Jesus is lawless is not a good question. Questions like that should not be entertained by you or anyone else who calls Jesus Lord.

Reactions: Heart2Soul

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok, I’ll just for right now go with Jesus is lawless.

Mmm--NO! Jesus said in John 10:35, that "the Scripture cannot be broken" (and the Law is part of the OT). He also said that He came NOT to end the Law, but to fulfill it. Those who die in their sins (i.e. without faith in Christ) will be convicted under the Law of God.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can it be an abomination to God for a man to sit in a man made temple and say he’s god? This isn’t very well thought out. As if God puts some special emphasis on a temple made with hands.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mmm--NO! Jesus said in John 10:35, that "the Scripture cannot be broken" (and the Law is part of the OT). He also said that He came NOT to end the Law, but to fulfill it. Those who die in their sins (without faith in Christ) will be convicted under the Law of God.
Sure, ok, how did he fulfill it?

Lady Crosstalk

Feb 16, 2019
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How can it be an abomination to God for a man to sit in a man made temple and say he’s god? This isn’t very well thought out. As if God puts some special emphasis on a temple made with hands.

You have to understand the original "Abomination of Desolation" spoken of by the prophet, Daniel in Daniel 9:27. The Temple WAS a holy place--it was made holy by the presence of God's glory. Without God's presence, it is just a building.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have to understand the original "Abomination of Desolation" spoken of by the prophet, Daniel in Daniel 9:27. The Temple WAS a holy place--it was made holy by the presence of God's glory. Without God's presence, it is just a building.
Are you saying the presence of Gods glory is going to fill another man made temple?