The Sabbath Day and Jesus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't recall the "letter" stating you couldn't help someone though. It says no work. I understand work as a means to make an income or a profit.

And also I believe it was the LEvitical Priesthood that were to keep the candles burning continually even on the sabbath.

Lev 24:1 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,
Lev 24:2 Command the children of Israel, that they bring unto thee pure oil olive beaten for the light, to cause the lamps to burn continually.
Lev 24:3 Without the vail of the testimony, in the tabernacle of the congregation, shall Aaron order it from the evening unto the morning before the LORD continually: it shall be a statute for ever in your generations.
Lev 24:4 He shall order the lamps upon the pure candlestick before the LORD continually.
Lev 24:5 And thou shalt take fine flour, and bake twelve cakes thereof: two tenth deals shall be in one cake.
Lev 24:6 And thou shalt set them in two rows, six on a row, upon the pure table before the LORD.
Lev 24:7 And thou shalt put pure frankincense upon each row, that it may be on the bread for a memorial, even an offering made by fire unto the LORD.
Lev 24:8 Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
Lev 24:9 And it shall be Aaron's and his sons'; and they shall eat it in the holy place: for it is most holy unto him of the offerings of the LORD made by fire by a perpetual statute.

Psa 110:4 The LORD hath sworn, and will not repent, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek.

Heb 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
Heb 3:2 Who was faithful to him that appointed him, as also Moses was faithful in all his house.
Heb 3:3 For this man was counted worthy of more glory than Moses, inasmuch as he who hath builded the house hath more honour than the house.
Heb 3:4 For every house is builded by some man; but he that built all things is God.
Heb 3:5 And Moses verily was faithful in all his house, as a servant, for a testimony of those things which were to be spoken after;
Heb 3:6 But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end.

Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
Mat 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

I think that the definition that you give to work is what may make the difference between what is the letter of this law and what is the spirit of it.

Reactions: Ziggy

Ziggy

Oct 19, 2020
Maine, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that the definition that you give to work is what may make the difference between what is the letter of this law and what is the spirit of it.
I don't believe there was anything wrong with what was written. It was how those who were in charge of it determined to execute it.
It wasn't God who had no Grace and no Mercy. It was the hardness of their hearts. Their greediness to have authority over others.
To bind or loose if you will.
They chose to bind heavy burdens on others when in truth it was meant to be a blessing.
I don't believe the law is any different today then when it was written then. Except for those who were now given new authority over it.
Except for certain specific laws like the sacrificial and those that had to do with the Aaronian Priesthood. Jesus being the High Priest of His own house which we are.
But the basic fundamental don't kill, don't steal, don't lie, adultery, covet.. those havent changed. It's still wrong to do those things.
It doesn't matter if it's in your heart or your parents put a post it note on the fridge to place the rules in the house.
The rules are the rules. We teach them to our kids. They break the rules, they get punished... or I did anyways. Who knows today.
You steal a car, you go to court. The Judge determines your punishment based on whatever evidence and the "laws" on the books.

Then you have other laws about growing crops and marriage and not mixing wool and linen..
If you really take the time to study them, they aren't just "laws" .
You find other "hints" as to their spiritual meaning. Linen was for the priesthood, wool was the congregation.
Each had it's own responsibility and function.
I don't keep the 613 Mosaic laws, or however many there are. But I do study them to find a lot of clues about what Jesus came to fulfill.
The cups and bowls and spoons and tables and candles, and ,and.. all have a deeper spiritual attribute then just the "item" itself.

Consider when Jesus was talking to the Pharisees about cleaning the inside of the cup and not just the outside for appearance sake.
They knew what this significance was more than we do today. That was an insult. Your filthy on the inside, while you make yourselves appear clean on the outside. Doesn't take an Einstein to know what Jesus meant, but the seriousness and significance of it might.
This was their "righteousness" that was being challenged. They talked the talk but the didn't walk the walk.
Jesus said, do what they say, not what they do. Because they don't practice what they preach.
Doesn't mean the preaching was always wrong, but they forgot to practice.
You pay tithes of cummin and mint, but you ommitted the weightier matters of mercy and justice.
They broke the covenant because they wasn't keeping any laws except the ones they wanted for themselves and to put on others.
Not so much different than today. Rules for thee, but not for me.. same o same o.

A lot of laws had to do with cleanliness. For multiple reasons. Sanitary, respect, diseases, and it gave them something to do so they wouldn't be idle 40 years walking around in circles. But they also have internal spiritual meanings too. You need to have respect for the temple of the Lord,
which temple ye are. And to have care for the Lord's "body" when we come together.
These are all laid out in the Epistles.. scattered everywhere. No foul language, gossipping, backbiting, brawlers, drunkards, etc.
It's all the same just worded more umm modern you could say.

People say you don't need to keep Moses laws, but they are quick to run to Paul or Peter or John and site those "rules" .
Which I find interesting because basically, they are the same.
The other laws that were removed are those that kept Jews and Gentiles from associating together. That is wall of partition, or the enmity that was removed. Although there is a lot of spiritual meanings in those clean and unclean foods as well.

It doesn't matter to me if people want to study or not the OT laws and statutes and ordinaces or whatever.
I do it because I enjoy studying God's word. Simple as that.
When it comes to the Sabbath, as I've said before people keep whatever however they feel is the Lord give it to them to do.
I don't judge anyone either way. All I do is say, I do this and that is why. Whether someone agrees or disagrees won't change the way I do things. The only one who has that authority to do that is God himself.

Such a controversial topic and honestly I don't understand why.
If it weren't for the OT, there would not have been a NT.
This is the treasures old and new.
And you know me.. I sure enjoy digging :)

Hugs

Reactions: justbyfaith