The tree of the knowledge of good and evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Uisdean

Aug 12, 2018
Asheville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i understand that you are a good (no pun intended) hearted person who seeks to be approved, and has been raised to reason logically. So instead of completely destroying your argument with Scripture interpreted from a dialectic pov to make a very important point, and making an enemy in the process, like i guess i've done to a few other quite decent people here, i think i'm going to try a different tack for awhile. Pretty sure i do understand what you are trying to say, that rebellion and disobedience are evil, yes. So why did God create evil and satan then, again? Your reply might help me see a way to proceed here, ty

I am organizing my thoughts to post them in a blog. As for "approval", well, no, what I did was react in worry that I was seeing misunderstanding that borders heresy. Now I realize that there is no heresy in what All Y'All are saying. But I do think that the idea that God creates evil can cause problems. So, I won't discuss this until I get my "ducks in a row" and finish my blog. :)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am organizing my thoughts to post them in a blog. As for "approval", well, no, what I did was react in worry that I was seeing misunderstanding that borders heresy. Now I realize that there is no heresy in what All Y'All are saying. But I do think that the idea that God creates evil can cause problems. So, I won't discuss this until I get my "ducks in a row" and finish my blog. :)

You were probably right the first time.

Stranger

Reactions: Uisdean

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The tree of the knowledge of Good AND Evil, was created BY God...and THAT tree came with a WARNING. If Adam were to eat the fruit of THAT Tree, he would be subject TO "both" things (good and evil knowledge) God had created.

What seems to be overlooked, is God Himself was providing Adam WITH "only" Good knowledge from God.

Good and Evil knowledge prevails throughout the world. Nothing has changed, God promotes to reject the evil and LISTEN to Him, His Word; Pure Truth and Good Knowledge; in hopes one will ACCEPT and ACT on His Word.

God Bless,
Taken

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The title ‘The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil’ reminders me of the name of Wyatt Earp’s gun ‘Peacemaker’

Oh the irony.....

Guestman

Nov 11, 2009
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The "tree of knowledge of good and bad" was a literal tree that produced fruit (Gen 2:16,17), just as the "tree of life" was a literal tree that produced fruit that granted it partakers life forever.(Gen 3:22) But "the tree of knowledge of good and bad" was created specifically by God (whose personal name is Jehovah) as a test for Adam and Eve, to see where their loyalty resided.(Note: Even the angels were never subjected to a test, for they are spirits that do not have the plethora of desires or needs of humans, such as the need for food and water, to breath, to reproduce or sexual desire, that can pull us in all sorts of directions that show how fragile we are, how desires can overwhelm us; see Ps 103:14-16 in which it says that Jehovah "knows how we are formed, remembering that we are dust. As for mortal man, his days are like those of grass.....when the wind blows, it is no more, as though it was never there")

This tree represented Jehovah's right to set moral boundaries for humans, unlike the animal creation. At Genesis 2:16,17, God tells Adam that he can enjoy fruit from all the trees in the garden of Eden, except one, the "tree of knowledge of good and bad" that he set apart from the others.

God told Adam that the consequences for violating the command to not eat from "the tree of knowledge of good and bad" would be death.(Gen 2:17b) Adam, then passed this command on to his wife Eve.(Gen 3:2,3) The "tree of knowledge of good and bad" established what Psalms 103:19 states: "Jehovah has firmly established his throne in the heavens; and his kingship rules over everything".

But with this test arose the issue of universal sovereignty, because the "serpent" (or Satan, Rev 12:9 who had been given oversight of the garden of Eden, being "assigned....as the anointed covering cherub (that was) faultless in your ways from the day you were created", Eze 28:12-15) came to long for what only rightly belonged to Jehovah - worship.(Satan has never relinquished his desire for worship, asking from Jesus just one act of worship in order to receive all the kingdoms of the world, Luke 4:7, 8)

Hence, he took advantage of the weakest link - Eve - seducing her by calling into question God's right to rule (1 Tim 2:14; 2 Cor 11:3), casting doubt by asking her: "Did God really ("really", Hebrew aph meaning to take up a position to express opposition) say that you must not eat from every tree of the garden ?"(Gen 3:1)

Eve responded by telling the "serpent" that her and Adam could eat from all the trees except one - "the tree that is in the middle of the garden".(Gen 3:2,3) With this response, the "serpent" or Satan (meaning "resistor") now says to Eve, becoming the "father of the lie"(John 8:44): "You certainly will not die. For God knows that in the very day you eat from it, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and bad".(Gen 3:4, 5)

Eve "took the bait", wanting to "be like God, knowing good and bad", being able to decide for herself what she felt was right and wrong without having Jehovah set moral standards for her and reached out and took fruit from the forbidden tree, whereby later she offered it to Adam, who sided with her in the rebellion against God's rulership.(Gen 3:6)

Now the issue of sovereignty was in full motion, whereby Jehovah's right to rule was challenged. And who else became involved in this universal issue ? The angels that were watching from heaven as this scenario unfolded. Jehovah could have destroyed all three rebels, but this would not have settled the doubt of whether man (or even angels) could successfully rule themselves apart for God.

Thus, Jehovah handed the reigns of the "world" (or children born to Adam and Eve that also became rebels like their "father" Adam, see Eph 2:2 that says that true Christians "at one time walked according to the system of things of this world, according to the ruler of the authority of the air, the spirit (or dominant rebellious force) that is now at work in the sons of disobedience") over to Satan to have, to allow a lot of time to pass (some 6,000 years) in order to prove that his way of ruling is defective, resulting in misery and destruction and death.(see John 14:30, in which Jesus calls Satan the "ruler of the world")

At the end of Jesus millennial reign, the issue of universal sovereignty will be settled once and for all, with all who have rebelled against Jehovah being decimated.(Rev 20:7-10; the battle of Armageddon does not settle the issue of universal sovereignty [but sets the tone for all who are rebels against God's sovereign rule], because one thousand years later, others among mankind who have been privileged to either pass through the "great tribulation" [Rev 7:14] or receive a resurrection from the dead call into question God's right to rule [Rev 20:8])

After this, never again will anyone be able to have any success in calling into question Jehovah's right to rule. Thence, the "tree of knowledge of good and bad" was the starting point for Jehovah to set moral boundaries for humans, who are made in his "image".(Gen 1:26, able to grasp what justice truly is, what is "right and wrong" in Jehovah's eyes)

Reactions: Taken

larry2

Jun 14, 2018
Arapahoe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Tree of Good and Evil is the Law.

Gen 2:17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Adam also was alive before the knowledge of good and evil.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

2 Cor 3:7 But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones . . .

1 Cor 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

Jesus is Lord.

Last edited:

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 7:17-19
[17] Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. [18] A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. [19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Genesis 2:9
[9] And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 3:5-6
[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. [6] And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ....a good tree or an evil tree? The tree grew fruit because Adam and Eve ate of it. Was the fruit from the tree...evil fruit or good fruit?

The Tree of knowledge of good and evil was a fruit bearing tree like any other tree. The tree itself wasn't good or evil or magical, it was just a fruit bearing tree that God named the Tree of knowledge of good and evil to represent his sovereignty or rulership. In simple terms the tree represented God's right to decide what was good or what was bad for what he as creator had created. God didn't use as a test of obedience or devotion to God for Adam and Eve some prohibition such as saying don't commit beastiality or some other sexual immorality or saying don't commit murder or some similar vile act because God had created Adam and Eve without spot or blemish. They didn't have a sinful nature like us who are Adams and Eve offspring. God didn't create Adam and Eve with any vile inclinations. God used as a test what was normal for Adam and Eve, the eating of food. Nothing was wrong with eating food. God just place a command on one tree not to eat from. This wasn't a harsh or strict command because Adam and Eve had plenty of other food to eat from the other fruit trees. This tree that God forbid to eat from, God chose to use it as a symbol that God decides what is good or bad for Adam and Eve. God is the creator and the one who design mankind so of course he and he alone knows what's in the best interests of mankind or what's not in the best interests of mankind. Adam and Eve were to simply exercise faith in that fact.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But with this test arose the issue of universal sovereignty, because the "serpent" (or Satan, Rev 12:9 who had been given oversight of the garden of Eden, being "assigned....as the anointed covering cherub (that was) faultless in your ways from the day you were created", Eze 28:12-15)
I have a question.
I understand that Satan was the anointing covering cherub, and that he and his angels were cast down. But I am not clear as to why you say he had "oversight" of the Garden. Can you explain?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The tree of knowledge did not have two types of fruit. It just had one. God forbid them to eat of the fruit. In their disobedience they chose to eat. Eve being deceived ate of it. All Satan had to do is get her to touch it to deceive her. She quoted God’s warning to them. Adam eat of it in disobedience. That is why the scriptures have declared by one man sin entered into the world and all die. But by one man righteousness came in Christ. Those in Christ have been redeemed from death.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan was not even around yet at that time.
It was a serpent, not satan, who asked her a question.
The serpent did not give her the fruit to eat either.

Actually the serpent, was revealed was Satan, was the Devil, was the Dragon.
(Rev. 20:2)

True...no one gave the woman the fruit.
The lesson is:
The serpent is Gods Adversary.
The serpent went after the weakest.
The serpent got the woman’s attention.
The serpent used cunning words to convince the woman to ignore God and be enticed by flowery words.
The woman reached out and took the fruit of her own freewill.
The Adversary of God is the Adversary of mankind.

Reactions: Triumph1300

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Triumph try reading the following scriptures.

So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Revelation 12:9)

He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. (Revelation 20:2)

Reactions: Triumph1300

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. (Revelation 12:9)

He laid hold of the dragon, that serpent of old, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. (Revelation 20:2)

I am well aware of the above scriptures.

Point I was making is that the serpent in the garden was not satan as suggested earlier by a previous poster.
The serpent (snake) was used by satan.
Even today, for example, some people are used by satan, but that does not mean they are satan.

The serpent walked upright before the event in the garden because
after the event God punished the serpent by letting him go down on it's belly forever.
I.o.w. the serpent was an actual animal in the garden.

And that's why snakes are still on their belly today.
And Satan is not on his belly. He is still a liar and deceiver going around through this world.
He knows his time is short.

Btw......Any idea when satan and his angels were actually cast down?

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 7:17-19
[17] Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. [18] A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. [19] Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Genesis 2:9
[9] And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Genesis 3:5-6
[5] For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil. [6] And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.

Was the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ....a good tree or an evil tree? The tree grew fruit because Adam and Eve ate of it. Was the fruit from the tree...evil fruit or good fruit?
Knowledge is from God, and is therefore, good. Evil is not good, but knowledge is good. Such is the fruit.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am well aware of the above scriptures.

Point I was making is that the serpent in the garden was not satan as suggested earlier by a previous poster.
The serpent (snake) was used by satan.
Even today, for example, some people are used by satan, but that does not mean they are satan.

The serpent walked upright before the event in the garden because
after the event God punished the serpent by letting him go down on it's belly forever.
I.o.w. the serpent was an actual animal in the garden.

And that's why snakes are still on their belly today.
And Satan is not on his belly. He is still a liar and deceiver going around through this world.
He knows his time is short.

Btw......Any idea when satan and his angels were actually cast down?
Try reading the fifth trumpet in Revelation.

Daniel Veler

Apr 17, 2021
Gulf port
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Try reading what I posted earlier.
Human reasoning gets us all in trouble. Eve was deceived because, the snake as you say, took her misquote of God’s command and used it to his advantage to first touch the fruit on the tree. Then it was all down hill from there.