The tree of the knowledge of good and evil?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ppl with father issues have a really hard time with the concept of God as Father, ya. You might rapproch God as "Creative Force" or a few other concepts that she might be more amenable to i guess, search "people with poor paternal relationships have trouble believing in God" or something for some more strategies if you like...but hopefully you are over the thing where you feel that you have to convert her for her to avoid hell or anything like that anyway
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...7LXdAhXM3lMKHaHlBhoQ1QIIcCgA&biw=1280&bih=629

Thank you. Making it worse. What she does know of God she experienced as the only girl sandwiched between two brothers which grew up to be pastors, on opposite ends and arguing up until they both passed. She hates "religion" and God to her is religion and makes people "crazy". I get what you are saying about people with Father issues. The lens life gave me was a lens of a male-chauvinist God...God healed that lens and gave me a new lens to see through that lens being Christ. When people say God doesn't heal today...that is not true. He can heal the lens the world has given us and give us a new one.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
For real!? …o_O no I didn't know it is a put down. Please explain...
um, well, the "iron" is a hint, plus reflect on what "sharp" means in the context of "countenance," and consider "...by so doing rend (cut) each other," which i currently cannot find, and i guess a better characterization is that there is a double meaning there, the passage is written so as to encompass both the kind of sharpening we are doing right now, and also the other kind of sharpening that friends might do to each other, one-upman stuff, etc, sharpening the "countenance" (facial expression)
"rule with a rod of iron" is also a dbl,"iron" and "oaks" are recognized as...being a diff symbol than we might otherwise interpret, "Oaks of Mamre" = "poor school of thought," etc. Man, how to show this, though, i don't even know lol
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...i20i264j0i131i67j0i20i263j0i22i30.dfJLQOrRo7g
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1....0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71j33i10.ZqP-oZWe9-4

but unfortunately there is a lot of religious opinion in there, looks like the "iron" one will be easier to find than the oak one, "the Goddess tree" might work, dunno. The next post is prolly the best for this, plus he references for further study

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
um, well, the "iron" is a hint, plus reflect on what "sharp" means in the context of "countenance," and consider "...by so doing rend (cut) each other," which i currently cannot find, and i guess a better characterization is that there is a double meaning there, the passage is written so as to encompass both the kind of sharpening we are doing right now, and also the other kind of sharpening that friends might do to each other, one-upman stuff, etc, sharpening the "countenance" (facial expression)
"rule with a rod of iron" is also a dbl,"iron" and "oaks" are recognized as...being a diff symbol than we might otherwise interpret, "Oaks of Mamre" = "poor school of thought," etc. Man, how to show this, though, i don't even know lol
https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...i20i264j0i131i67j0i20i263j0i22i30.dfJLQOrRo7g

I don’t see it but will consider it. I’ve wondered if that verses means what I think it does. So I’m not saying you’re wrong. For me I see countenance as more than an facial expression but of the fallen state of man in darkness. As in
Genesis 4:5-6 “But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell. [6] And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?”

“Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen(darkened)?” When in God’s countenance there is light. As in
Numbers 6:24-26 “The Lord bless thee, and keep thee: [25] The Lord make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: [26] The Lord lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.”

But I see what you are saying about “Iron”. Daniel 2:43 “And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men: but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.”

Wouldn’t it depend who the friend is? The world? Or His.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Wouldn’t it depend who the friend is? The world? Or His.
yes, surely

coun·te·nance
ˈkount(ə)nəns/
noun
  1. 1.
    a person's face or facial expression.
    "his impenetrable eyes and inscrutable countenance give little away"
    synonyms: face, features, physiognomy, profile; More

2. 2.
    support.
    "she was giving her specific countenance to the occasion"

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
And so it goes...
i also agree with you, for personal use or whatever ok, of course we are supposed to determine our choices when we are involved. I think the prohibition on judging is more aimed at judging something unfamiliar, or that one is not involved in, and thus not privy to all of the nuances, something like that

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
I define Evil as Disobedience
So why did God create evil and satan then, again? Your reply might help me see a way to proceed here, ty
guess that won't work for you huh, duh. Maybe "if that is not true, then who created satan?" or something like that, or as i said just address "...I the LORD do all these things."

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Many people who believe the Garden of Eden was located somewhere in the Near East suggest that the true forbidden fruit was not an apple, but a pomegranate.

Others believe it was a tomato.

Some Muslims believe that it was a banana.
:rolleyes: believers, huh. The symbology of "trees" is made crystal clear in many passages imo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
just address "...I the LORD do all these things."

This is just an opinion but also from experience: just address “...I the LORD do all these things.” Is the beginning of 1 John 4:18 “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.”

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
i also agree with you, for personal use or whatever ok, of course we are supposed to determine our choices when we are involved. I think the prohibition on judging is more aimed at judging something unfamiliar, or that one is not involved in, and thus not privy to all of the nuances, something like that
Actually bb, it's OK for us to judge. We can't stop our brain and also we're SUPPOSED to help our brothers in Christ to know when they're doing wrong. Of course some do this is such a way as to create an enemy and not be a peacemaker so maybe THOSE should just be quiet.

What we cannot judge is someone's soul. We should leave that up to God since we can't even agree on simple matters on these here forums.

Oh. And we shouldn't judge other people's tastes unless they ask and even then I think we should maybe lie sometimes and then ask for forgiveness! (from God).

We can judge on moral issues; otherwise these forums could just shut down.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Actually bb, it's OK for us to judge. We can't stop our brain and also we're SUPPOSED to help our brothers in Christ to know when they're doing wrong. Of course some do this is such a way as to create an enemy and not be a peacemaker so maybe THOSE should just be quiet.

What we cannot judge is someone's soul. We should leave that up to God since we can't even agree on simple matters on these here forums.

Oh. And we shouldn't judge other people's tastes unless they ask and even then I think we should maybe lie sometimes and then ask for forgiveness! (from God).

We can judge on moral issues; otherwise these forums could just shut down.
HA! lol, ok

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
You don't think so?
How can we know stealing is wrong unless we can be a judge of that?
Let me know what you think, but I have to say good night....too tired.
ya, i was just minded of the time in Italy right now lol. Anyway, i think that is so some of the time, sure, and after all iron sharpens iron i guess right. Stopping your brain is also a great exercise imo too though, took me about ten years to learn how to do that, but worth it

faithfulness

Aug 13, 2018
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
strangely enough, even "serving others" can be a very evil pursuit, as it turns out
What do you mean by this? Tried reading/keeping it in context w/determinism. It strikes something personal in me is why I ask. Evil as in...? self?
Galatians 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only [use] not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
What do you mean by this? Tried reading/keeping it in context w/determinism. It strikes something personal in me is why I ask. Evil as in...? self?
yes, just like that. Unfortunately the only term that really describes this behavior is Codependency, and that is a hard term to define. But picture like a little old lady coming to you as you are comfortably reclining and herding you to sit up so she can fluff your pillow, or something like that. i could set up a more pertinent codependent scenario but it would take a half a page, but the point is to see the manip, codependents are alternately manipulative and...arg, obsequious, sorry, there just isn't a better word, passive-aggressives are just codependents, being codependent.

these are invariably--well not narcissists, also a codependency, anti-codependency--so quite often at least very big hearted people, ok, they are not meaning to do anything but serve, and anyone in their orbit just better get ready to get served, that's all. Now we have an expression "get served" that we openly apply to narcissistic behavior, but i am applying it to non-narcissists, even though standard codependents are also quite narcissistic as well, and there are usually/always self-esteem issues too.

It's a deterministic way of maintaining one's ego while playing at service, is prolly a good def, tho i never thought to express it in terms of determinism before, nice. Someone who is considered more of a narcissist would just have no interest in playing at actual service, but instead prefers "you got served" in the current slang

ob·se·qui·ous
əbˈsēkwēəs/
adjective
  1. obedient or attentive to an excessive or servile degree.
    "they were served by obsequious waiters"
    synonyms: servile, ingratiating, sycophantic, fawning, unctuous, oily, oleaginous, groveling, cringing, subservient, submissive, slavish; More
understand most or all of this is subconscious; no one aspires to be a codependent when they grow up, it just happens, especially in first-world societies; we mostly all have a friend or adversary like this, the non-narcissist codependent i mean.

Try having this convo with them lol, as lovingly as you may, and let the vehement denial be your guide imo. Try suggesting a better MO for a specific situation, that allows the "victim" to...arg, "retain their sovereignty" is how i would put it, but...allows the victim to choose or whatever, retain their free will, and observe how it is rejected; bc in the Coda mind this person needs to be served, we are talking about helping this poor guy, right, and gracefully allowing him room to decline or deny would not be serving them.

Codas will not take a hint, and you can like slowly escalate the hint to comical proportions, you can even start laughing, don't worry, they are not going to get it. Try being baldly honest; imo this is the best therapy.

They are then going to go emo on you, get offended or superior, usually with lots of antics, and they know how to push buttons, ok, so imo don't go into this unprepared, but if you are able to retain your composure and understand that they are doing this bc it is the MO that they have been trained into, just think of them as like a younger sibling that is being willful that you unfortunately can't just beat them up, which is how kids get trained out of that i guess, or at least one way.

Last edited:
Reactions: faithfulness