The Trinity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Gregory

Jan 8, 2021
utah
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No!
The word BEGOTTEN is not a good word to use because, as some here have stated,
begotten means someone was "made" or "created" and this is not so.

Begotten means the unique son of God.
Jesus was begotten as a Son...
But the SON, as the 2nd Person of the Trinity, as the WORD of God, always existed.

Some take this to mean that the 2nd Person of the Trinity, or the WORD of God, was begotten.
(did not always exist).
Although Jesus has always existed, he has not always existed as a flesh and bone and blood man. Jesus existed as a spirit only person until his incarnation. He was then begotten as all men are, and his spirit was incarnated into a body of flesh and bone produced by his mother Mary and his Father, God the Father. (Their is no evidence that Mary and God the Father had a sexual union). But in a Godly manner unknown to man, God the Father begat Jesus by Mary, and Jesus became a flesh and bone and blood man.

After Jesus's earth life and resurrection, he is still a flesh and bone man, ( a resurrected body of flesh and bone, is way different than a mortal body of flesh and bone and blood) sitting on the right hand of his Father in heaven, waiting to come a 2nd time to the earth. This time in glory and honor as our King of Kings.

Reactions: GodsGrace

Gregory

Jan 8, 2021
utah
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me ask everyone a question:
In John 17:21 it says:
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

If God the Father, and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are in 3 Persons in 1 God, how can we as believer be ONE as they are. We would have to somehow be a conglomerate of billions of persons in 1 body in order to be one like They are.

Or is there another answer to this riddle?

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

If God the Father, and God the Son and God the Holy Spirit are in 3 Persons in 1 God, how can we as believer be ONE as they are. We would have to somehow be a conglomerate of billions of persons in 1 body in order to be one like They are.

LOL..: Multiplicity! No one over the years has ever clarified that for me in connection with his own beliefs...

Gregory

Jan 8, 2021
utah
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The beginning, the first, the top, the primary, the preeminent, the original, main, chief, foremost, like that. It's not really "how many definitions", but the sense of this word's definitions.

How many definitions would be more like asking how many ways can you translate it according to context.

Matthew 19:4 KJV
And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,

Romans 8:38 KJV
For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come,

Jude 1:6 KJV
6) And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.

Much love!
Thank you for answering, Let me think about the answers and I will answer you.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The term 'only begotten' refers to the unique relationship between the Father and the Son; it does not mean that the Son is supposedly a created being.
The scripture says only begotten Son. Begotten isn't only about uniqueness. Monogenes is about generation, a unique type of generation. But generation nevertheless.
You are correct here... It doesn't mean created.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
The scripture says only begotten Son. Begotten isn't only about uniqueness. Monogenes is about generation, a unique type of generation. But generation nevertheless.
You are correct here... It doesn't mean created.
Only begotten is distinct from first begotten, which refers to the Lord Jesus' preeminence in all creation. Only begotten refers to the unique relationship.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

Someone on this thread gave an excellent answer, but I'll have to look for it.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So is "multiplicity" the answer? Please explain?
No, it is the question I have put to many staunch Trinitarians. Not one has explained it, and few have tried. How can there be a Trinity of God without a Multiplicity of God forthcoming when you read carefully the verse you posted?

Almost no one wants to hear what I believe... unless they are not Trinitarians.

Since only God gives any increase to them or to me, I often simply leave it where it is. My words won't change anyone unless God is in the words and the listeners are also hearing the words.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy

See post 238 by @Cooper .
His explanation replying to your question is the best I've seen.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
No, it is the question I have put to many staunch Trinitarians. Not one has explained it, and few have tried. How can there be a Trinity of God without a Multiplicity of God forthcoming when you read carefully the verse you posted?

Since only God gives any increase to them or to me, I often simply leave it where it is. My words won't change anyone unless God is in the words and the listeners are also hearing the words.
It's excellent.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let US make man in OUR image ....
is the plural of God.
It does not mean angels. (that are not God).
Yes indeed ONLY GOD can create . the angels cannot create man . That is a good point my friend .
If you dont mind i would like to quickly expound on something else though .
Many today have said , let us create us a love god in our image . That is so scary , but technically its what they have done .
We cant create GOD , but many seem to have created an image of HIM in their own minds anyway .

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Sheffield, Yorkshire, home of Robin Hood.
robinhood-loxley.weebly.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Cooper,
Yes, I'd have to agree that maybe the wording isn't the best.
But HOW to explain it?
I had to teach the Trinity to children, and I learned early on that no matter how it's explained, you
run into one heresy or another.

God is ONE BEING...
IN that being, are 3 somethings...
it can't be natures because God has only one nature.
How to call those 3 somethings?
They are distinct and have their own missions/work.

Some even understand the Holy Spirit as proceeding from the Father and the Son as LOVE.
The love between the Father and the Son.

I used to use a similar example as you've set forth:
Someone can be:
A Father
A Son
An Uncle
A brother
etc.

But he is still only one person.

Your explanation of the Trinity is a heresy called Modalism.
Although I agree with you that it's a good way of understanding the Trinity,,,
it's not really correct.

However, I think however we can personally understand it is fine, as long as it fits somehow.
The problem with modalism is that the three persons do not co-exist, whereas the three attributes of the triathlete co-exist together in one person.

Not to worry, try this for size. You will have seen the TV program "Under Cover Boss" whereby the creator of a big company, perhaps Henry Ford, leaves his office, changes his appearance, calls himself John Doe, puts on overalls and goes to work on the shop floor. Point being, John Doe and Henry Ford are One, in the same way I believe Father and Son are one. After all before his incarnation Jesus was the creator of heaven and earth. He was the WORD in the beginning.

Although people had never seen John Doe before, he had the same beginning as Henry Ford, they are One.

God is One, Henry Ford and John Doe are one. John Doe while talking to the people could truthfully have said, "What Henry Ford does, I do and what I do Henry Ford does."

When people spoke to John Doe, they were talking to Henry Ford.

When Jesus taught us to say "Our Father" in the Lord's prayer (Jesus is Lord) guess who we are praying to...

God is One. We only need to believe in one God, anything else would be wrong, but the Bible clearly tells us that Jesus is God with us.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's excellent.
It is his post 235 and I read it for it was made in response to my post 202. Jesus' prayer is for unity in the Body of Christ.

Reading my post 202 carefully you might understand why it does not change my position at all on my understanding of the nature of God.

I cannot believe in a Multiplicity so for me that throws out the Trinity as well. I cannot embrace a Trinity. I can embrace the Consuming fire that is the One God.

I do not insist that anyone agree with me. Each person must move as he is led by the Spirit.

Why the division here? God knows that too.

I have already covered all of these things and more many times on this forum and on others. I could reargue every point, but I know it is not in me to change anyone else. They keep on insisting that I must change and want to argue. I do not. I simply want to serve God. If God presses me change then that is certainly my desire.

Back to the lowest room one more time where I have gone so many times before... From there? God does know!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I'd think you would know better than to hang your argument on this.

View attachment 19224

This is "arche", this does not prove Jesus to be the first created thing.

Don't look now but it says "original" and "beginning" there....what is an "original"?.....what is the "beginning" of something?
Selective blindness perhaps?

Colossians 1:15 also identifies Jesus as "the firstborn of all creation".....being "the image" of his Father doesn't make him God. An image is a reflection of the real thing...and Jesus certainly reflected his Father's thoughts and feelings about many things. He said that everything he taught was from his Father....not from himself. (John 7:16)

To me this is a terribly poor argument, and also accounts for your lack of manners.
So sorry if you found me to be 'bad mannered'. I have a lot of Americans tell me this. Do you know why? Because Aussies are straight talkers, and we don't tip-toe around people's sensibilities as if they are a legitimate reason not to speak the truth.
What was that Jack Nicholson line...? "You can't handle the truth!".....I suggest people put their big girl/boy panties on and just discuss things without the drama.....shall we? o_O
I am so tired of the snowflakes....:eek:

You only give a answer that deflect from the question. You could tell me the truth, that you believe in at least 2 true gods, and that you define one differently from the other, and use language, like, You can be divine but not God.
LOL...and there you have it....I just didn't give you the answer you wanted....
There is one true God...the one identified by Jesus himself in John 17:3...
"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent." (NASB)
Did God send himself? Where is the third person?

Theos. How many true Theos? Is this so very complicated? How Many Creator Gods? There is One. In the OT, His Name is given as YHWH, in the NT His Name is Iesous, which we translate Jesus. And to Him, EVERY knee will bow, and every tongue confess that He is LORD, and that salvation is found in none other.

You have a mental difficulty trying to logically analyze Who God is, is that such a surprise?
I have no mental difficulty at all since the scriptures provide all the information I need without having someone to tell it means something different.
"Theos" in Greek means a "god"...any god, as Strong's Concordance explains as its primary definition...
"a god or goddess, a general name of deities or divinities." So it is not a word used only for the Almighty. Keep that in mind.

Read John 1:1 in Greek you will see that the definite article "the" (ho) is used before the first mention of theos but not with the second.
In en the beginning archē was eimi the ho Word logos, and kai the ho Word logos was eimi with pros · ho God theos, and kai the ho Word logos was eimi God theos. (no definite article) This is NOT saying that Jesus is Almighty God, but that he is a divine person who was "with God" and was sent by him. (John 17:3)

Anyone who knows Greek will tell you that the definite article is used to differentiate THE God (Yahweh) from any other "gods" ("theos") which is one who is divine or has divine authority. Jesus had both. As a human, Jesus had divine origin and was authorized by his God and Father to represent him on the earth. He did not have to be God and it makes no sense that the Creator of the Universe would himself come to earth when it clearly states in John 1:18 that "no man has ever seen God". Thousands of people saw Jesus, so your trinity does not have any support in scripture by direct statement.

Not so fast, that only goes towards your rejection of what Triune God means. Here is another sort of a logical argument you may consider.

The Eternal Father eternally loves the Eternal Son.
What scripture can you provide to state that the Son is eternal? The Bible states that the Father alone is eternal. It means no beginning or end, yet the Bible clearly says that Jesus had a beginning. Colossians 1:15 reveals that Jesus himself in his pre-human form was that "beginning". You fight what the scriptures actually say, but then try desperately to inject the trinity into verses that do not state it.

In this way, the truth of the Scripture is preserved, "I YHWH change not". If the Eternal God did not yet have a Son, His is not a Father, but when He comes to have a Son, then He comes to be a Father. Rather than an eternally Fatherly God, He would have become that. He would have changed.
You see....this is what you just did....God doesn't change his personality, but at some stage in his eternal existence he decided to become a Father and bring forth a Son, an "only begotten".....after that a whole family of spirit beings came into existence "through" the son. (Colossians 1:15-17) Then at some point, God decided to create material things and the universe was created with an earth situated in right the right place to bring forth life. So at what stage did God change? He is the Creator and that it what it means......He created. Not rocket science is it?

John wrote, "God is love". If YHWH existed alone, whom did He love? He would have come to be loving when He came to be a Father. And why would He "become a Father" or "become loving", were He already full and complete in Himself? To become something "more" is to fill in a lack, and I cannot fathom God lacking anything.
His creation is an expression of his love, not that he needed something or someone to love, but that he wanted to expand the qualities that he already had to exercise towards other sentient beings....don't we all need to exercise those qualities to test them out and explore them in a new way? If we are "created in God's image", then those are the qualities he gave us humans to exercise and to explore in our own relationships. That makes sense to me.

Another side of this aspect that God does not change is our sonship in Christ, and how we understand how this question defines our relationship with God. Are we sharing in the Sonship of the Eternal Son? Or are we sharing with another created being? That goes deep fast.
Does it? If we understand the familial relationship of father and son as God and Christ expressed it, what is "deep" about that unless you want to muddy fairly clear waters with stuff dredged up from somewhere else?

If the son is not eternal, which no scripture says he is, then as a created being who has lived in both heaven and on earth, what an amazing King he will be in guiding us sinful humans back to God. He understands our humanity better than any angel that God could have put in charge of us. He selected humans to rule with Christ in heaven for the same reason. Who better to be our rulers and priests than those who know what it is like to live in imperfect flesh? (Revelation 20:6)

What I find to be unreasonable is the need to redefine words apart from what they really mean. Having studied both in school and on my own, I find it unreasonable to interpret John 1:1 as anything other than what it plainly says, the Word was with God, and the Word was God, and the Word became flesh, John's Greek is really very simple.
Its only simple when you want it to say what it never meant. The Greek is not the same as the English translation...you can see that in any Interlinear.

"Theos" is not a word that means only "God" with a capital "G"...it can mean any god or divinely authorized person as Strongs definition reveals. Satan is called "theos"...human judges in Israel, Yahweh himself called "gods". If you have the right definition of the word...there is no trinity.

No . . . the word Trinity doesn't appear in the Bible. But the fact of 3 Persons Who are One God does. Pick out a different descriptive word if that pleases you. But you won't find me being convinced by anything less than a real valid argument that does not conflict with plainly stated passages.
Show me three persons in one God.....there isn't one single scripture that says this.
There is "God the Father" stated many times in the Bible, but there is no "God the Son" and there is no "God the Holy Spirit".....these terms were made up by the apostate church that introduced this doctrine over three hundred years after Jesus died.

If God was a trinity, then why wasn't this very important piece of information clearly outlined from the beginning? Why was "God the Son" and "God the Holy Spirit" hidden for so long and why did it take the church centuries to bring it in, when so many opposed it as unscriptural?

I will leave you to ponder these questions....

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think part of the problem is calling Jesus SON.
And the other part is using that word I so dislike, BEGOTTEN.
Begotten of God means Father and Son have the same nature. I think this is wonderful. The result is that those who reject the Son reject the Father and so are Godless, and that is not wonderful. This is why I worry about the cults and the Jews, because without Christ, who is God with us, they are Godless. Their religion is an empty shell. Those who accept Jesus as their Saviour are born again begotten of God. Only Jesus can forgive our sins, but to think of Jesus only as the sacrificial lamb while denying him as the creator of heaven and earth is not sufficient for salvation.

Last edited:

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The persons whom you call inspired and wrote the gospels and the letters are the same persons that taught others before they died.
Is this a surprise to you? I know it isn't. So how would you say the teachings with which Jesus instructed the Apostles were carried forward after they died? I'm sure you know the bible was not written yet at this early time...I mean the New Testament as a "book".
You must know that not everyone turns out to be like his teacher, just like not every son turns out to be like his father....personal ideas can creep in and undo what was taught to you. Look at satan....or Judas. Who could have had better teachers?

Something can even seem as if its from divine revelation and take you somewhere you didn't think you would go....this is what happens to humans.....look at the state of Christendom....how do you think that happened? If Jesus said that the "weeds" would be sown "while men were sleeping" and false ideas were already starting to manifest back in the first century, what makes you think it couldn't happen to Catholicism? It was foretold and it was the only church for centuries.

When you see what it became in those later centuries, do you really believe that it was a reflection of what Jesus taught? It was not even remotely close.....but since people were never encouraged to read the Bible, because it was forbidden to be read in the common language, they were kept in the dark for those centuries unable to check the scriptures for themselves to see if what they were being taught was accurate. (Acts 17:10-11)

Of course it was! YOU are proof of the fact that everything needed to be written down.
It sounds like you know the history of the church, but then you make comments that are of no logical sense.
I'm being sincere - not mean.
Just as the Jews had their Talmud, so too Catholicism had its catechism.....I have been a JW for decades and when I called on Catholic people and asked them to go and get their Bible so that they could follow along in their own scripture, more often than not they came back with a catechism...they didn't really know the difference. I have studied the Bible with many Catholic people over the years and without the word of a lie they knew nothing of what the Bible taught, they just assumed that those who went to seminary knew what they were talking about and accepted it all without question. They were astounded to learn exactly what the Bible teaches because it was contrary to what they had learned at school and at church.

You must surely know that every single council was held in order to combat heresy and to declare in writing what the Christian faith believed; in order to clarify for everyone who, by the end of the 1st century, were/was spread all over Asia Minor.

The Council of Nicea was held specifically to combat the heresy of Arianism...
the idea that some were teaching that stated Jesus to be just a man.
The church wrote the words of the Nicene Creed to clarify who Jesus was.
Because we reject the trinity, some suggest that Jehovah’s Witnesses practice a form of Arianism....but we worship neither the “incomprehensible” God of the Trinitarians, nor the “unknown (and unknowable) God” of Arius.

We agree with the apostle Paul: “For us there is one God the Father, from whom all things are.” (1 Corinthians 8:5)

Teachings that led to the development of the Trinity began to be officially formulated in 325 C.E. at the council of Nicaea. According to the New Catholic Encyclopedia, the creed attributed to the Council of Nicaea set out the first official definition of ‘Christian orthodoxy,’ including the definition of God and Christ. Why, though, was it deemed necessary to define God and Christ centuries after the Bible was completed? Is the Bible unclear on these important topics? Did the apostles and first century Christians even know what a trinity was?
Apparently they were in no doubt about who they knew God to be in relation to the Lord Jesus Christ.....
1 Corinthians 8:5-6...
"Indeed, even though there are so-called gods in heaven and on earth—and there are in fact many gods and many lords— 6 for us there is one God, the Father, from whom all things are and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and through whom we exist." (New Catholic Bible) Where is the Holy Spirit?

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
Yes indeed ONLY GOD can create . the angels cannot create man . That is a good point my friend .
If you dont mind i would like to quickly expound on something else though .
Many today have said , let us create us a love god in our image . That is so scary , but technically its what they have done .
We cant create GOD , but many seem to have created an image of HIM in their own minds anyway .
A lot of persons say scary things.
Nowhere does it say A LOVE GOD.
Also some have created a God with No Love...
The reformed. Maybe that is Even More scary.
It would be a God that created us, but does not care a hoot about us.
How lonely that sounds.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Cooper

Jan 31, 2020
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

Since only God gives any increase to them or to Me, I often simply leave it where it is. My words won't change anyone unless God is in the words and the listeners are also hearing the words.

Jesus is the one God made visible.