The true gospel of grace.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- Somebody thinks you are saying a person has a license to sin
- That you are being flippant about how serious Christ's words "come follow me" are.
Those things would indeed be a misunderstanding of what I am attempting to set forth.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
- That not everyone believes in OSAS, and the would object to your phrasing of future sins being forgiven because of that.
My phrasing is not the result of misunderstanding their doctrine, but of understanding my own.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If anyone wants to go there with me I am certainly able to handle the controversy.

I don't enjoy arguing. But I am a OSAS-er.

Once a son ,always a son...even if the son stinks from the pig pen.

Reactions: Dave L

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
In Psalms 51:3 it is clear that David's confession is of future sins.
You are misunderstanding Psalm 51:3.

Here are a couple of alternative translations which bring out what is being said:
New Living Translation
For I recognize my rebellion; it haunts me day and night.
Berean Study Bible
For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.
Contemporary English Version
I know about my sins, and I cannot forget the burden of my guilt.

You are claiming that David was saying that his future sins are all forgiven. But that is not even close to how this reads.
The confession of sin that is required is found in Psalms 51:3; and in thus confessing all of our future sin(s) we are forgiven of all of our future sin(s), 1 John 1:9.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are claiming that David was saying that his future sins are all forgiven.
No; I am saying that in Psalms 51:3, David is saying that he understands that in his own strength, he has no power over his sin(s); and that he knows that he is a sinner and that there are sins that he will yet commit in his future.

When you add 1 John 1:9 to that confession, that is where forgiveness of future sin(s) comes in.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't enjoy arguing. But I am a OSAS-er.

Once a son ,always a son...even if the son stinks from the pig pen.
I take the middle ground.

I believe in POTS rather than OSAS (1 John 3:6, 1 John 2:17).

And I believe that eternal security is given only to those who have the fear of the Lord in their hearts (Jeremiah 32:38-40 (kjv), Psalms 19:9).

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Not to disparage the point of my friend who wrote a different thread exposing "the false gospel of grace"; I want to share what is the true gospel of grace in order that it might be known that grace is a thing of truth and that the gospel of grace is not in and of itself always false when it is ministered.

Point #1 of the true gospel of grace is that grace is extravagant and indeed scandalous. It brings forgiveness to sinners of the worst kind.

We know that it doesn't apply to those who have not repented and who continue in willful sinning against the Lord, Hebrews 10:26-31.

However, if a person is truly born again, and because of this has the desire to walk in freedom and victory over sin(s), it is true of them that they are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s).

The confession of sin that is required is found in Psalms 51:3; and in thus confessing all of our future sin(s) we are forgiven of all of our future sin(s), 1 John 1:9.

In that we are forgiven of past, present, and future sin(s), it ought to produce within us the response of gratitude and thanksgiving towards the One who forgave us; and it ought to produce the response of falling head over heels in love with Jesus.

Whoever is forgiven much loves much (Luke 7:36-50, 1 John 4:19, Romans 5:5).

This love is not in word or in tongue only but in deed and in truth (1 John 3:17-18).

It is also the fulfilling of the law within us (Romans 13:8-10, Galatians 5:14, 1 John 5:3, 2 John 1:6, Romans 8:4).

There is an exception to the rule of those who have been transformed by grace in this manner. It is written in Isaiah:

Isa 26:10, Let favour be shewed to the wicked, yet will he not learn righteousness: in the land of uprightness will he deal unjustly, and will not behold the majesty of the LORD.

But for the most part when a person is shown forgiveness and favour/grace,

they will respond with thanksgiving, gratitude, and love.

Those who do not will not retain grace/favour for ever.

But those whose lives are transformed by the forgiveness of Christ, have a place in the kingdom of our Lord that cannot be compromised, removed, or otherwise taken away.

They have eternal security in the Lord.

If they blow it, their identity in Christ is not changed; they are counted righteous because of their faith: He justifies the ungodly.

If they rebel it is a different story; for if anyone sins willfully against the Lord, their appropriation of Christ's sacrifice is no longer valid.

But if anyone messes up and it is because of weakness, the scripture teaches that a man who is righteous will fall seven times but get back up again.

All of this is the true gospel of grace.
The gospel of grace as it stands to day = "whosoever believes has eternal life". If you strap conditions to this you turn the gospel into law and grace into works.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The gospel of grace as it stands to day = "whosoever believes has eternal life". If you strap conditions to this you turn the gospel into law and grace into works.
More accurately, that "those who believe, believe unto eternal life."

D

Dave L

More accurately, that "those who believe, believe unto eternal life."
““He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”” (John 3:36)

■ verb (has, having, had)
1 (also have got) possess, own, or hold.
▶ be made up of; comprise.
▶ be able to make use of.
▶ know (a language or subject): I had only a little French.

Soanes, C., & Stevenson, A. (Eds.). (2004). Concise Oxford English dictionary (11th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
My justification is not based on myself but on faith in, and in, the precious blood of Jesus Christ.

On your own belief that you are saved by believing in the way you do. God is circumvented in favour of your own judgment on the matter.

In Psalms 51:3 it is clear that David's confession is of future sins.

Ps. 19:13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
““He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”” (John 3:36)

Soanes, C., & Stevenson, A. (Eds.). (2004). Concise Oxford English dictionary (11th ed.). Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Amazing lack here again. When we enter into Christ we partake of His life which is an eternal KIND of life. Of course we believe into life. That's the point of abiding in Christ...to walk in His life.

When we are not walking IN Him then we are walking in the power of men...in a mortal kind of life.

D

Dave L

Amazing lack here again. When we enter into Christ we partake of His life which is an eternal KIND of life. Of course we believe into life. That's the point of abiding in Christ...to walk in His life.

When we are not walking IN Him then we are walking in the power of men...in a mortal kind of life.
But God places the saved into eternal life = Christ.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
But God places the saved into eternal life = Christ.

You are trying to understand the life of God by looking at bible verses...but missing the point of them. The bible is not a religious book that shows you what to confess. It is a testimony of the life of God in people. God has chosen that His life would enter those who believe.....but HE decides who believes and who doesn't. It's not our choice. It's our faith...HIS choice.
Do we choose ourselves? Of course not. The chosen are His chosen.

Now many assume they are chosen because they have beliefs ABOUT Jesus.

But we enter into life by faith. Faith moves God and REAL life comes down so that you are with Him in Zion...translated into the Jerusalem which is above so as to walk in light. THEN, you know you had real faith. THEN you know what life is.

There is an ocean of life and love in the Lord. But people are playing in puddles and calling it the sea.

D

Dave L

You are trying to understand the life of God by looking at bible verses...but missing the point of them. The bible is not a religious book that shows you what to confess. It is a testimony of the life of God in people. God has chosen that His life would enter those who believe.....but HE decides who believes and who doesn't. It's not our choice. It's our faith...HIS choice.
Do we choose ourselves? Of course not. The chosen are His chosen.

Now many assume they are chosen because they have beliefs ABOUT Jesus.

But we enter into life by faith. Faith moves God and REAL life comes down so that you are with Him in Zion...translated into the Jerusalem which is above so as to walk in light. THEN, you know you had real faith. THEN you know what life is.
You are adding to scripture and turning grace into works.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You are adding to scripture and turning grace into works.

I am giving judgment and righteousness back to God. You are claiming righteousness for yourself. So you are turning grace into iniquity.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You confuse people.

Actually I am bringing clarity to a difficult to understand subject. Spiritual things are incomprehensible to a person who has not experienced Christ.

So if we have faith in what God says....without seeing or understanding...that's a start. But to claim a justification for yourself with that lack of understanding is a dead end. Literally.

Wait until you encounter the Lord....THEN you won't claim ridiculous and misinformed things for yourself.

I know when people have walked in the light or not. A great fear is there for those who have walked with the living God.

You can read about this in the bible.

Work out your own salvation with fear and great trembling.

D

Dave L

Actually I am bringing clarity to a difficult to understand subject. Spiritual things are incomprehensible to a person who has not experienced Christ.

So if we have faith in what God says....without seeing or understanding...that's a start. But to claim a justification for yourself with that lack of understanding is a dead end. Literally.

Wait until you encounter the Lord....THEN you won't claim ridiculous and misinformed things for yourself.

I know when people have walked in the light or not. A great fear is there for those who have walked with the living God.

You can read about this in the bible.

Work out your own salvation with fear and great trembling.
Only to yourself. You are missing the simplicity of Christ.

Reactions: mailmandan

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Rom 5:1, Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Rom 5:2, By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

On your own belief that you are saved by believing in the way you do. God is circumvented in favour of your own judgment on the matter.

I believe that I am submitted to the Lord's judgment on the matter. His word declares that I am saved based on believing the way that I do, 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 and other passages.

Ps. 19:13 Keep back your servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me! Then I shall be blameless, and innocent of great transgression.

I have no disagreement with this scripture; in fact, it would have to be a part of the teaching as a whole since we might be inclined towards presumptuous sins in really understanding the grace of the Lord. But the inward witness and influence of the Holy Ghost is what keeps us from presumptuous sins, and from taking for granted the grace of our Lord. We are not motivated by a fear of losing our salvation, towards obeying and keeping the Lord's ways; but we are motivated by a love for God that is imparted to us by the Holy Ghost. When such a love is absent, then fear is a good motivating factor (for those under the law); but for those under grace, we are motivated by love and thankfulness over how the Lord has forgiven us so freely. Thus there is no need for a taskmaster type of ruling over our spirits; because we love the Lord and desire to obey Him. See Psalms 110:3.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Is it just me? Isn't this self-contradictory?

Either you are one of the initiates, or you can't understand. So where is clarity? If not just in the straightforward truths of Scripture?

Much love!