The Truth - Let Us Rightly Divide It

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
The Truth - Let Us Rightly Divide It

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

1. Old Testament

a. Written about the covenant that G0d made to the people God chose.

2. New Testament

a. Gospel

1. Messiah coming to his chosen people. Now known as the Jews.

b. Epistles

1. Books written to Christians and the early churches.

a. The early churches were the ones established by the Apostles.

c. The Revelation of Jesus Christ

1. Prophecy shown to John of things that would shortly come to pass.

The above is the division most understand. Now we will rightly divide God’s word. Knowing that God was involved in the translation of His word to English and others.

Luk 18:31 Then he took unto him the twelve, and said unto them, Behold, we go up to Jerusalem, and all things that are written by the prophets concerning the Son of man shall be accomplished.

Luk 21:22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled.

Luk 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

In the scripture above, Jesus plainly stated that he would fulfill ALL that had been written in these days of vengeance. The days of vengeance would include judgment day. We would agree that at the time of Crucifixion judgement had not come.

Mat 24:1 And Jesus went out, and departed from the temple: and his disciples came to him for to shew him the buildings of the temple.
Mat 24:2 And Jesus said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down.
Total destruction of the temple is what Jesus was saying would happen.
Mat 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the age?
The disciples knew Jesus was speaking of judgment day, since their question clearly mentions his coming and the end of the age. The answer as to when was:
Mat 24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.
Mat 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Mat 24:36 But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.
They knew it would be in their generation, but the day and hour would not be given to them.

The way we know the answer to that question, is that we know the temple was destroyed in 70 AD. That was approximately 37 years later, still in their generation.

The book of Revelation was about that coming, and as John was told, it was shortly to come.

There are many who disagree with the above. I only ask you to study with an open mind and decide if this is God’s word or man’s. If it is man’s they will change the Word to fit their opinion. If it is God’s word you can read it as it is written.

Why can’t people see the above? It is because of the way we have been taught for years and it requires a paradigm shift (a change in the way we look at it). Have we not seen the picture of the Old Lady that when we look at it differently we see a Young Lady, that is a paradigm shift.

Truth is worth knowing, it gives us a closer walk with God.

Those that would respond to the above, please use scripture and keep it short. Also do not be vague or use anything that man has said unless you show scripture. Scripture is truth.
Rom 3:3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect?
Rom 3:4 God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Be blessed.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Hi Rockey .... I want to make sure I understand you correctly ..... are you thinking revelation has already been completed ?

And another question .... you said .... The disciples knew Jesus was speaking of judgment day, since their question clearly mentions his coming and the end of the age. ..... how do you connect ... "end of the age" ... to .... "judgment day" ... ?? (To me they could be two separate events)

afaithfulone4u

Dec 7, 2012
California
To rightly divide the Word... means to be sure you understand what is the natural application of the Word, Then the meaning of the spiritual truth of the Word. For all men can see the natural.. but it takes the spiritual eyes to see what it really is saying to us.

1 Cor 2:9-3:2
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
10 But God hath revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth
; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.
1 Corinthians 3
3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.

KJV
Heb 4:12
12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
KJV
Heb 5:12-14
12 For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat.
13 For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe.
14 But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.
KJV

Luke 8:10-11
10 And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.
11 Now the parable is this: The seed is the word of God.
KJV

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Rocky Wiley said:
Knowing that God was involved in the translation of His word to English and others.
Exactly what is meant by the above-quoted statement?

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
Dodo_David said:
Exactly what is meant by the above-quoted statement?
What is meant is that the Word of God was translated to our language and it is true. I have only studied from the King James version and have found that when I do check it with Hebrew or Greek it only explains it, and never changes it.

It is indeed, still God's word and we can study it in our own language.

afaithfulone4u said:
To rightly divide the Word... means to be sure you understand what is the natural application of the Word, Then the meaning of the spiritual truth of the Word. For all men can see the natural.. but it takes the spiritual eyes to see what it really is saying to us.
Thank you for your post.

I agree with you in that many people can not understand because they do not look at any of God's word as spiritual. This in spite of the fact that Jesus said his kingdom is not of this world.

Be blessed.

Arnie Manitoba said:
Hi Rockey .... I want to make sure I understand you correctly ..... are you thinking revelation has already been completed ?

And another question .... you said .... The disciples knew Jesus was speaking of judgment day, since their question clearly mentions his coming and the end of the age. ..... how do you connect ... "end of the age" ... to .... "judgment day" ... ?? (To me they could be two separate events)
Good question Arnie,

Jesus mentions this generation (their generation) several times when speaking to the Jews. Here is one on judgment.

Mat 12:41 The men of Nineveh shall rise in judgment with this generation, and shall condemn it: because they repented at the preaching of Jonas; and, behold, a greater than Jonas is here.

Many times we read scripture as if it is directed to us. That just isn't the case. While here on earth he spoke to the Jews of that time.

You have brought up another point I had not seen, that is the resurrection of the dead. As we see in the above scripture it states that the men of Nineveh shall rise. So scripture also shows the resurrection would happened in their generation.

Joh 11:23 Jesus saith unto her, Thy brother shall rise again.
Joh 11:24 Martha saith unto him, I know that he shall rise again in the resurrection at the last day.

Be blessed.

musterion

Aug 4, 2013
Paul's use of othotomeo is busting with meaning that most believers overlook. It does reveal that there are divisions in God's Word, placed there by God Himself, which we are expected to recognize and abide by if we're to be found faithful, approved and unashamed workmen at the Bema.

The word, as Paul used it, does not merely mean "correctly handle" or some such as many modern translations put it. First, that we should be careful with the very Voice of God goes without saying. Second, if something along the lines of "handle carefully" is literally what Paul meant, there is Greek he used elsewhere that would communicate that same thought here, but he didn't. He was inspired to use this particular word for a very specific and pointed purpose. So on that point, the KJV does have the translation of 2 Tim 2:15 correct, whereas most other translations do not. I just happen to differ with Rocky on where God put those divisions, or I think I do.

Rocky Wiley

Aug 28, 2012
Southeast USA
musterion said:
Paul's use of othotomeo is busting with meaning that most believers overlook. It does reveal that there are divisions in God's Word, placed there by God Himself, which we are expected to recognize and abide by if we're to be found faithful, approved and unashamed workmen at the Bema.

The word, as Paul used it, does not merely mean "correctly handle" or some such as many modern translations put it. First, that we should be careful with the very Voice of God goes without saying. Second, if something along the lines of "handle carefully" is literally what Paul meant, there is Greek he used elsewhere that would communicate that same thought here, but he didn't. He was inspired to use this particular word for a very specific and pointed purpose. So on that point, the KJV does have the translation of 2 Tim 2:15 correct, whereas most other translations do not. I just happen to differ with Rocky on where God put those divisions, or I think I do.
KJV is what I use, so we agree here.

I have not studied Hebrew or Greek so actually have not compared all words to original. But my statement stands that God had his input in first translations, maybe not in recent ones. If most translations were overly mistranslated it would make it impossible to believe God's word since it would again be in the hands of only a few.

Be blessed.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
†. 2Tim 2:15 . . Be diligent to present yourself approved to God, a worker
who does not need to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

It's amazing the number of Christians who get hung up on the word
"dividing" assuming it means to keep the Old Testament separate from the
New; but the koiné Greek word orthotomeo (or-thot-om-eh'-o) has nothing
to do with separation. It means: to make a straight cut (as opposed to a
crooked cut).

Paul was a blue collar worker whose craft was making tents. Can you just
imagine how messed up Paul's tents would turn out if he didn't cut the pieces
accurately before sewing them together? Paul would have good reason to be
ashamed of his work rather than satisfied with a job well done.

I should probably point out that 2Tim 2:15 is intended to instruct clergy
rather than laymen. In other words: us dime-a-dozen internet bee-essers
need not be all that concerned about our Bible skills since nobody really
cares what we're about anyway. But men in the pulpit had better know
what they're doing with the Bible because they represent Christ; who once
labeled himself the truth. Incompetent clergy don't represent the truth.
There's no telling what they're representing when they're incompetent,
but it's definitely not the truth.

†. 1Pet 4:11 . . If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God

Oracles are very interesting. They're spoken words in contrast to written
words; viz: any chat room turnip can quote God; but not just anybody can
speak for God. In other words: if clergy cannot get up in a pulpit and
sincerely believe their preaching is the voice of God; they need to sit down
and shut up.

Buen Camino
/