The unfaithful servant

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
What is a remnant if it is not some? So then as Paul knew a remnant (some) would be saved why did he say, "that I might save some"?

Very simple. Paul did not know exactly which ones they would be and neither did anyone else. That is why Paul's entire goal was to lift up the Gentile preachers to preach to all Jews and thus incite to jealously all that would prove to be that prophesied remnant

It helps not to read more in than the context allows and this is what he had just finished telling us in chapter 10 just before he spoke the words you speak of.

I'm not reading into.. the context, I'm simply following Scripture you're apparently not studied in, especially many Old Testament prophecies about the children of Israel. One of the main Messages Paul was giving in the Romans 11 chapter was about two parts of the seed of Israel, one a remnant of Israel which God had preserved unto Himself as the election according to grace, and then the other part of Israel that HE HIMSELF blinded.

What does it mean for one's Salvation choice IF God Himself blinds them away... from it? How could those God blinded be able to stand in front of Christ's Judgment Seat and be held accountable, when all they would have to say is that He blinded them? Paul is very... specific on this point in Rom.11 about that 'blindness' that God put upon many of the seed of Israel; it's purpose was so The Gospel could also go to the Gentiles! For us Gentiles, God blinded many of His Own chosen people!

And so now what do some try to do? Cast those blinded of Israel away, as if they are nothing. Well, I tell you, NO ONE can come to Christ Jesus and believe unless God FIRST calls them, which is about His removing blindness in order to do so. And MANY of us here were blinded before we came to Christ Jesus to believe on Him with our hearts and minds. It's like Christ said, many are called, but few are chosen. So who are we to judge before the time?

As for you assessing this as trying to assign limitations to God's ability to accomplish the saving of a remnant you speak wrongly. God said he would do it by using the people who were not a nation but whom he now made a nation to incite them to jealousy. I assess it as God said it. I trust what he said.

And I laud God's use of us ignoble creatures out of his great love that we might benefit from his allowing us such responsibility.

Trying to infer that God is not going to do... what He already said He is going to do... IS a vain attempt to assign limitations to God. I see it done on this forum a lot too, which has obviously been learned from following men's traditions instead of God's Word as written. How many times per Bible history have peoples not believed God would do something like He said, and they have to find out the hard way? And so it is with some still today.

As for your 'limited' interpretation, you forgot this also written there in Rom.11...

Rom 11:30-31
30 For as ye in times past have not believed God, yet have now obtained mercy through their unbelief:
31 Even so have these also now not believed, that through your mercy they also may obtain mercy.
(KJV)

That reveals not by our hand, but by His Hand.

Paul told us why that was. Paul said it was because his heart was sincere and his love for God was true but he was blind. And God showed mercy toward him on that basis.

Actually no it does not mean that. It means that God saw that was the true desire of Paul's heart and God helped him to attain it. And God does that for most of us just perhaps in less dramatic ways. But God saw in Paul the qualifications that he was looking for in one to preach to the Gentiles and also to clarify things to his fellow Jews scattered abroad. This due to Paul's upbringing and training. That was and is wisdom on God's part.

You are under estimating God just because he intervenes differently with each of us in accord with both his need and ours?

As I sad, Paul's faith had been demonstrated in other ways and God knew that Paul was meek. So he struck Paul down in a more dramatic way as Paul had the qualifications he was looking for in one to preach to the Gentiles. The scriptures say he dashes us all to pieces and then builds us up as he wills. Yet that is in keeping with what he finds the desire of our hearts to be.

That understanding of what happened to Saul (Paul) on the road to Damascus is so far away from the Scripture event, it's ridiculous!! That sounds just like the kind of junk thought up by blind religious leaders today. The rest of your response isn't worth commenting on, since you are in obvious denial of Christ's Authority He worked upon Paul for that event.

The event of Divine Intervention upon Saul (Paul) reveals he was Christ's 'chosen vessel', one of His elect that He already 'owned'. Christ gave this distinction in the John 17 chapter when He spoke of a group that He 'sent' to be servants in The Gospel, that The Father gave to Him. And Christ prayed that all those who came to believe through 'their word', would become one body in Him.

But what you obviously deny is, that any of that has to do with God's idea of election per His Word. That's a strong disbelief to have and claim to be a Christian. You should not have that doctrine, and especially not with claiming... you're heeding the Scripture as written.

Vengle

Sep 22, 2011
Ohio
I'm not reading into.. the context, I'm simply following Scripture you're apparently not studied in, especially many Old Testament prophecies about the children of Israel. One of the main Messages Paul was giving in the Romans 11 chapter was about two parts of the seed of Israel, one a remnant of Israel which God had preserved unto Himself as the election according to grace, and then the other part of Israel that HE HIMSELF blinded.

What does it mean for one's Salvation choice IF God Himself blinds them away... from it? How could those God blinded be able to stand in front of Christ's Judgment Seat and be held accountable, when all they would have to say is that He blinded them? Paul is very... specific on this point in Rom.11 about that 'blindness' that God put upon many of the seed of Israel; it's purpose was so The Gospel could also go to the Gentiles! For us Gentiles, God blinded many of His Own chosen people!

You do not know what you are reading.

I certainly do know what the Bible teaches about Israel as I spent a considerable time (years) dissecting that one subject alone. I was obsessed with it.

But there is no way I can convince you because your mind is set as my mind used to be concerning it.

And I am certainly not going to argue with you about it.

The embarrassment will be enough for you when what you expect never materializes.

All I can do is ask you to empty yourself and approach it again to examine it.

And I ask that not selfishly. I ask it for you.

The things you preach concerning it are a part of the great delusion.

And before you say it, Yes, my mind is set also. The only difference is I used to believe what you are presently preaching and was at that time set believing it. But now my mind has become set on what I came to see the Bible actually to teach. That by the grace of God.