The use of humor in Gospel Preaching

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

bling

May 5, 2009
[SIZE=medium]I have listen to a lot of sermons and started wondering about the following:[/SIZE]
  1. [SIZE=medium]Is there anywhere in scripture where the preacher/teacher/prophet was trying to get his audience to laugh?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Did Jesus ever try to get His audience to laugh?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Jesus did tell some “almost” humorous stories, like the log in your own eye, with some very deep spiritual meanings, but would it make people laugh?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Is trying to make your audience laugh, also making lite of the subject?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Should the teacher/preacher emphasize the seriousness of the subject, by not showing any humor?[/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Would humor hurt someone in the audience caught up in the seriousness of the subject? [/SIZE]

1. [SIZE=medium]Why do preachers today use humor? [/SIZE]

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
Using humor is fine.

But not in revealing scripture nor in putting down people for their beliefs whether you believe their thoughts or not.

No matter what we're still under the command of love.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[SIZE=medium]Is there anywhere in scripture where the preacher/teacher/prophet was trying to get his audience to laugh?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Its tough to tell because we are reading it and not hearing it. A lot of times comedy is in the way something is said, not necessarily what was said. Ecc 3:4 says there is a time to laugh and Pro 17:22 says a merry heart is like medicine. In any sense, I find some things in the Bible very funny. A few examples:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]- Balaam and his talking [donkey]. The KJV doesn't say "donkey", but when you read it, the story comes off funny as a comedy of errors. Did you ever consider that Balaam was so angry he never even stopped to wonder how it is that an animal was talking to him? (Num 22)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]- Moses argued with God. Now, it doesn't seem funny at first... But if you look at the conversation Both the Lord and Moses keep saying "they're your people". It seems funny to me that neither of them wanted to claim the stiffnecked people. God said, "Moses, they are your people!" Moses said, "No, they are your people!" (Exo 32)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]-Elijah mocked the priests of Balaam. I'm sure he had a good ole time doing it. I get the sense that he thought it was funny. He certainly threw in some zingers (1 Kings 18:27)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Did Jesus ever try to get His audience to laugh?[/SIZE]

Again, it's tough to tell, because we weren't there to hear the delivery, but I think so. Look at John 1:45-48. Philip tells Nathaniel that Jesus has come from Nazareth and he seems pretty excited about it. Nathaniel sloughs it off and says "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Now, when Jesus sees Nathaniel he says, "Behold and Israelite who has no guile!" Obviously Jesus knew Nathaniel kind of mocked his upbringing (being from Nazareth). It may be just me... But I think that might have been meant to bring a chuckle to those around him.

Another example is Matt 6:34... Jesus said take no thought for tomorrow, for it will take care of itself, sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof [paraphrasing]. It's a pretty curious verse that I can only conclude that Jesus is saying, "Don't worry about your future, You are going to have battles! Worry about them when they come!"

It may be my quirkyness, but I find these things pretty funny. And again, it depend on the delivery. That's not to say that there isn't an important message (even a grave message, as with the OT examples I talked about earlier). But it seems to me that God has a sense of humor. He has an intense anger at times, so why wouldn't he have a sense of humor at other times.

One more thing on this question.... The Bible says the common people heard him gladly (Mark 12:37). If that is so, would common people like to laugh? Even if there is no joking in the Bible, I have to think Jesus told a joke or two while hanging out with the crowd that wasn't reported. He was, after all, human.

[SIZE=medium]Is trying to make your audience laugh, also making lite of the subject?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Maybe. But you can make a joke and take your situations seriously at the same time. Have you ever seen the movie "300"? It is about the 300 Spartans at the battle of Thermopolie (sp?). The movie obviously has a lot of made up stuff, but one line historians said was true is when the Persians said we will blot out the sun with our arrows, the Spartans said, "Then we will fight in the shade!" Well, the Spartans were looking at death and they knew it. But they still found comfort in a comical statement. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I am very wary of religious jokes, but there are a couple I like:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]1. A minister plays hooky from his Sunday sermon. Calls in sick, gets someone to fill in for him and goes to play golf. He scores a 60 (2 under par), sinks a hole in one, sinks a 40 foot putt and delivers a chip shot out of the sand bank that lands 6 inches from the hole. Peter and God are watching from heaven and Peter says, "God, you let him do that? He skipped Church and lied about it!" God just chuckles and says, "Yea... But who is he going to brag about it to?"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]2. Rich man dies and goes to heaven. Asks Gabriel if he can bring just one bag with him, and Gabriel agrees to let him. So the rich man packs his bag with gold. God greets him, looks in the bag and says, "Pavement? We don't need anymore pavement!" [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Well, I thought they were funny, but there's an important point to both of them. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]In short, I think the answers to the rest of your questions are obvious, at least as far as my opinion goes. Tex Schamm was a football coach for the University of Texas. I heard a speech by him once (on audio tape) in which he used a lot of jokes to make some important points. The tape was 45 minutes long, but I remember only two stories he told: both of which were long, funny stories. But I remember those points. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Can you overdo humor in teaching God's Word? I think so. I don't think a preacher should ever use the pulpit as a comedy routine, but that doesn't mean he can't ever use comedy. To conclude, I again reference Ecc 3:4. There's a time for all things.[/SIZE]
pom2014 said:
Using humor is fine.

But not in revealing scripture nor in putting down people for their beliefs whether you believe their thoughts or not.

No matter what we're still under the command of love.
pom2014, did you read my post and what Elijah did? Did he love the priests of Baal or did he mock them, make fun of them and then kill them? Does not the Bible say we aren't to have any fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness (Eph 5).

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As long as the humor is funny. It is a rare preacher who can actually pull off being funny.

lforrest

Staff member
Admin
Aug 10, 2012
Faith
Christian
Self effacing humor seems pretty harmless.

[SIZE=14.3999996185303px]2 Corinthians 11 & 12 seem ripe with dry humor, Look at [/SIZE]2 Corinthians 12:13.

KingJ

Mar 18, 2011
South Africa
Humor takes IQ. God definitely has a sense of humor. We see His sarcasm and exaggerations throughout His word.

- Will God look after me? Does a silly little bird ever go hungry? -_-
- Take the log out your own eye!!! :)
- If your hand causes you to sin.... cut it off / pluck out your eye!! :D
- What is sin? If you just think of a woman...you have sinned....ROFL ....every man on this planet instantly grasps they have sinned. :lol:

bling

May 5, 2009
When you are trying to be very serious about a very serious subject (heaven or hell) can you really take people to the point of laughing out loud and not detract from others caught up in this life and death situation?

I do not see Jesus or any of the others trying to get their audience to laugh out loud. The “humor” was also very thought provoking and if you “laughed” it would be because you did not grasp the seriousness of the subject.

I attended this church in which the preacher was short, bald, wore thick glasses, spoke in a monotone and never used “humor”. His message was always very serious and you had to take notes to keep up, if you wanted to discuss it later. This church grow rapidly, to standing room only. The leadership announced there would be two morning services with different lessons directed at different age groups and the preacher would announce the subject the week before for you to decide which one you wanted to attend. There was standing room only at both serves, all the members went to the first and stayed for the second. The leadership pleated with the members to just go to one service, but since the leaders where hypocrites (they were attending both services themselves) the congregation followed their example and not their words. The preacher had to repeat the same sermon twice to keep the people from going to both services.