The Vail

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Vail" is a Colorado ski area. "veil" is a face covering.
Why do some versions use “vail” ? :confused:
For example
Genesis 24:65 kjv For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because "Aspen" wouldn't work?

Those KJV guys just didn't know how to spell. Better switch to a modern English version like NASB.
I’m a southern girl. My grandchildren laugh at a lot of my words usages. Like I have a habit of saying “that is plum crazy.” They tell me there is no “plum”. I’m going to ask maybe a stupid question. Concerning trees. Can “vail” be used as “canopy” or is “vail” only a type of tree?

Reactions: Lambano

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For example
Genesis 24:65 kjv For she had said unto the servant, What man is this that walketh in the field to meet us? And the servant had said, It is my master: therefore she took a vail, and covered herself.
Probably because that's the way it was spelled 400+ years ago. Misspellings are just one of the problems one encounters reading the KJV.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m a southern girl. My grandchildren laugh at a lot of my words usages. Like I have a habit of saying “that is plum crazy.” They tell me there is no “plum”. I’m going to ask maybe a stupid question. Concerning trees. Can “vail” be used as “canopy” or is “vail” only a type of tree?
"vail" is neither a canopy nor a tree. It is a face covering. And it's "plumb crazy".

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The aspen trees in the vale near Vail veiled the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep from sight." Okay; that works.

But that's just plum crazy.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The aspen trees in the vale near Vail veiled the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep from sight." Okay; that works.

Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
:rain?:

• Haha
Reactions: amigo de christo

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Summing up what I’ve learned. You are suggesting the next time I’m confused over which it is, to go with “veil”?
Correct?

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry if I am misunderstanding but it reminds me of the first time I looked into a crowded high school hallway as a new Christian.

All those faces, I realized, were made in the image of God. Why had I never cared before?

Because without Christ there is a veil for the glory of God. But with Christ, we begin to thankfully see with new eyes.
And true love , true care would correct and point folks in the right direction .
Any love , any love that overlooks errors , accepts them , wont correct , will just leave folks in the dark ........
WELL it aint love and it sure aint coming from GOD .
Too many folks , NOT SAYING YOU , are thinking its love to just shut up and let them be in error , just hug , just
find common ground . That wont work . It never has worked and it never will .
OH sure they gonna find common ground . ONLY under what . exactly . NOT GOD .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked
If Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers
Where’s the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?
:rain?:
Yea rather , popular pope propogated a perverted point .
A perverted point that pointed to a perverted prince.
IF popular pope preached a perverted point
wheres the peoples that piped his perversion gonna end up . PERDITION .
Hows that for some P s .

• Love

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And true love , true care would correct and point folks in the right direction .
Any love , any love that overlooks errors , accepts them , wont correct , will just leave folks in the dark ........
WELL it aint love and it sure aint coming from GOD .
Too many folks , NOT SAYING YOU , are thinking its love to just shut up and let them be in error , just hug , just
find common ground . That wont work . It never has worked and it never will .
OH sure they gonna find common ground . ONLY under what . exactly . NOT GOD .
Colossians 1:13-14, "He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

You (falsely) write "Any love , any love that overlooks errors , accepts them , wont correct , will just leave folks in the dark" is nonsense.

If anyone has been forgiven they do not need correction. I know that you can't understand that. Maybe some day you will realize the truth...

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:13-14, "He has rescued us from the power of darkness and transferred us into the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."

You (falsely) write "Any love , any love that overlooks errors , accepts them , wont correct , will just leave folks in the dark" is nonsense.

If anyone has been forgiven they do not need correction. I know that you can't understand that. Maybe some day you will realize the truth...
GOD his love DID CORRECT my old mindset . DID correct my errnounous ways , didnt just leave me in darkness
serving another image of him i thought WAS HIM . YEAH GOD CORRECTS .
the apostles did and the apostels even wrote to the elders of the church to CORRECT any who sinned .
SO yeah jim GOD DOES CORRECT .

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
GOD his love DID CORRECT my old mindset . DID correct my errnounous ways , didnt just leave me in darkness
serving another image of him i thought WAS HIM . YEAH GOD CORRECTS .
the apostles did and the apostels even wrote to the elders of the church to CORRECT any who sinned .
SO yeah jim GOD DOES CORRECT .
"GOD his love DID CORRECT my old mindset . DID correct my errnounous ways" means nothing (in English anyway). I can say, with the same justification (in English) that God corrected my old mindset and my erroneous ways. Saying what you said is meaningless.

God is love, not correction! You just go on and on and on justifying your judgement of others without looking at your own behavior.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For example

It's not confusing in Hebrew. While the word is used in conjunction with a covering, or canopy-- at it's root it also invokes the idea of lowering oneself-- like a valley is lower than the surrounding hills. In the example you cite, Rebekah gets down off her camel and covers herself as a sign of respect and humility. It would be arrogant to sit up on the camel and look down upon the man. So too with the concept of covering one's face with a veil- not to conceal, but an act of humility, like averting your eyes from staring at someone.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is, indeed, a "plum." I can verify that with thousands of people in the hills of east TN from which my folks originate. I'm a Navy brat and, these days, I'm an honorary Yankee living in my wife's home state of PA but I'm pretty sure there's still some biscuits and gravy clogging my arteries. In fact, I'm about due for a mess of 'em. :waves:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is, indeed, a "plum." I can verify that with thousands of people in the hills of east TN from which my folks originate. I'm a Navy brat and, these days, I'm an honorary Yankee living in my wife's home state of PA but I'm pretty sure there's still some biscuits and gravy clogging my arteries. In fact, I'm about due for a mess of 'em. :waves:
Figured out I’ve been saying it wrong. It is with a ‘b’….mine is always silent. :D

Google: Builders want to be sure their lines are straight or “plumb.” Because “plumb” means truly, completely, entirely straight, the slang dictionary says, about 1748 someone was called “plumb silly.” From there came “plumb crazy” (or its twin, “plumb loco”), “plumb tired,” and other such straightforward expressions.

Biscuit and gravy taste good. Especially together. My mom and grandparents grew up eating fatback, fried liver with onions, and all kinds of lard. I remember eating brains as a child (which is now …no yuk!) Now with all the processed food I wonder if they did eat better.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Another "Encounter-er" !!!

I'm having all kinds of close encounters. My next will be the third kind.