The Wesleyan Quadrilateral

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quoting from... Wesleyan Quadrilateral - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upon examination of Wesley's work, Outler theorized that Wesley used four different sources in coming to theological conclusions. Wesley believed, first of all, that the living core of the Christian faith was revealed in "scripture" as the sole foundational source. The centrality of scripture was so important for Wesley that he called himself "a man of one book". However, doctrine had to be in keeping with Christian orthodox "tradition." So, tradition became in his view the second aspect of the so-called Quadrilateral. Furthermore, believing, as he did, that faith is more than merely an acknowledgment of ideas, Wesley as a practical theologian, contended that a part of the theological method would involve "experiential" faith. In other words, truth would be vivified in personal experience of Christians (overall, not individually), if it were really truth. And every doctrine must be able to be defended "rationally." He did not divorce faith from reason. Tradition, experience, and reason, however, are subject always to scripture, which is primary.

Each of the "legs" of the Wesleyan Quadrilateral must be taken in balance, and none of the other three apart from scripture should be viewed as being of equal value or authority with scripture. None of these should be taken in isolation without the balancing effect of the others, and always Scripture should have the central place of authority.

Scripture

Wesley insisted that scripture is the first authority and contains the only measure whereby all other truth is tested. It was delivered by authors who were divinely inspired. It is a rule sufficient of itself. It neither needs, nor is capable of, any further addition. The scripture references to justification by faith as the gateway to scriptural holiness are well known to true Wesleyans: Deut. 30:6; Ps. 130:8; Ezek. 36:25, 29; Matt. 5:48; 22:37; Luke 1:69; John 17:20-23; Rom. 8:3-4; II Cor. 7:1; Eph. 3:14; 5:25-27; I Thess. 5:23; Titus 2:11-14; I John 3:8; 4:17.

Tradition

Wesley wrote that it is generally supposed that traditional evidence is weakened by length of time, as it must necessarily pass through so many hands in a continued succession of ages. Although other evidence is perhaps stronger, he insisted: "Do not undervalue traditional evidence. Let it have its place and its due honour. It is highly serviceable in its kind, and in its degree". Wesley states that those of strong and clear understanding should be aware of its full force. For him it supplies a link through 1,700 years of history with Jesus and the apostles. The witness to justification and sanctification is an unbroken chain drawing us into fellowship with those who have finished the race, fought the fight, and who now reign with God in his glory and might.

Reason

Although scripture is sufficient unto itself and is the foundation of true religion, Wesley wrote: "Now, of what excellent use is reason, if we would either understand ourselves, or explain to others, those living oracles".[8] He states quite clearly that without reason we cannot understand the essential truths of Scripture. Reason, however, is not a mere human invention. It must be assisted by the Holy Spirit if we are to understand the mysteries of God. With regard to justification by faith and sanctification Wesley said that although reason cannot produce faith, when impartial reason speaks we can understand the new birth, inward holiness, and outward holiness. Although reason cannot produce faith, it can shorten the leap.

Experience

Apart from scripture, experience is the strongest proof of Christianity. "What the scriptures promise, I enjoy".[9] Again, Wesley insisted that we cannot have reasonable assurance of something unless we have experienced it personally. John Wesley was assured of both justification and sanctification because he had experienced them in his own life. What Christianity promised (considered as a doctrine) was accomplished in his soul. Furthermore, Christianity (considered as an inward principle) is the completion of all those promises. Although traditional proof is complex, experience is simple: "One thing I know; I was blind, but now I see." Although tradition establishes the evidence a long way off, experience makes it present to all persons. As for the proof of justification and sanctification Wesley states that Christianity is an experience of holiness and happiness, the image of God impressed on a created spirit, a fountain of peace and love springing up into everlasting life.

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Bible is a good thing StanJ. I believe the Quadrilateral was thought of post Wesley. Here is what a Methodist is according to John Wesley, in which the Bible is paramount!

What is a Methodist? by John Wesley ...

1. We believe, indeed, that "all Scripture is given by the inspiration of God.” We believe the written word of God to be the only and sufficient rule both of Christian faith and practice.

2. We do not place our religion, or any part of it, in being attached to any peculiar mode of speaking, any quaint or uncommon set of expressions.

3. Our religion does not lie in doing what God has not enjoined, or abstaining from what he hath not forbidden. It does not lie in the form of our apparel, in the posture of our body, or the covering of our heads; nor yet in abstaining from marriage, or from meats and drinks, which are all good if received with thanksgiving.

4. Nor, lastly, is he distinguished by laying the whole stress of religion on any single part of it

5. "What then is the mark? Who is a Methodist, according to your own account?" I answer: A Methodist is one who has "the love of God shed abroad in his heart by the Holy Ghost given unto him;" one who "loves the Lord his God with all his heart, and with all his soul, and with all his mind, and with all his strength. God is the joy of his heart, and the desire of his soul; which is constantly crying out, "Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee! My God and my all! Thou art the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever!"

6. He is therefore happy in God, yea, always happy, as having in him "a well of water springing up into everlasting life," and overflowing his soul with peace and joy. "Perfect love" having now "cast out fear," he "rejoices evermore." He "rejoices in the Lord always," even "in God his Saviour;" and in the Father, "through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom he hath now received the atonement." "Having" found "redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of his sins," he cannot but rejoice, whenever he looks back on the horrible pit out of which he is delivered; when he sees "all his transgressions blotted out as a cloud, and his iniquities as a thick cloud." He cannot but rejoice, whenever he looks on the state wherein he now is; "being justified freely, and having peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ." For "he that believeth, hath the witness" of this "in himself;" being now the son of God by faith. "Because he is a son, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into his heart, crying, Abba, Father!" And "the Spirit itself beareth witness with his spirit, that he is a child of God." He rejoiceth also, whenever he looks forward, "in hope of the glory that shall be revealed;" yea, this his joy is full, and all his bones cry out, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who, according to his abundant mercy, hath begotten me again to a living hope -- of an inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for me!"

7. And he who hath this hope, thus "full of immortality, in everything giveth thanks;" as knowing that this (whatsoever it is) "is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning him." From him, therefore, he cheerfully receives all, saying, "Good is the will of the Lord;" and whether the Lord giveth or taketh away, equally "blessing the name of the Lord." For he hath "learned, in whatsoever state he is, therewith to be content." He knoweth "both how to be abased and how to abound

8. For indeed he "prays without ceasing." It is given him "always to pray, and not to faint.”

9. And while he thus always exercises his love to God, by praying without ceasing, rejoicing evermore, and in everything giving thanks, this commandment is written in his heart, "That he who loveth God, love his brother also." And he accordingly loves his neighbour as himself; he loves every man as his own soul. His heart is full of love to all mankind, to every child of "the Father of the spirits of all flesh

10. For he is "pure in heart." The love of God has purified his heart from all revengeful passions, from envy, malice, and wrath, from every unkind temper or malign affection. It hath cleansed him from pride and haughtiness of spirit, whereof alone cometh contention. And he hath now "put on bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering:" So that he "forbears and forgives, if he had a quarrel against any; even as God in Christ hath forgiven him." And indeed all possible ground for contention, on his part, is utterly cut off. For none can take from him what he desires; seeing he "loves not the world, nor" any of "the things of the world;" being now "crucified to the world, and the world crucified to him;" being dead to all that is in the world, both to "the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eye, and the pride of life." For "all his desire is unto God, and to the remembrance of his name."

11. Agreeable to this his one desire, is the one design of his life, namely, "not to do his own will, but the will of Him that sent him." His one intention at all times and in all things is, not to please himself, but Him whom his soul loveth. He has a single eye. And because "his eye is single, his whole body is full of light." Indeed, where the loving eye of the soul is continually fixed upon God, there can be no darkness at all, "but the whole is light; as when the bright shining of a candle doth enlighten the house." God then reigns alone. All that is in the soul is holiness to the Lord. There is not a motion in his heart, but is according to his will. Every thought that arises points to Him, and is in obedience to the law of Christ.

12. And the tree is known by its fruits. For as he loves God, so he keeps his commandments; not only some, or most of them, but all, from the least to the greatest. He is not content to "keep the whole law, and offend in one point;" but has, in all points, "a conscience void of offence towards God and towards man."

13. All the commandments of God he accordingly keeps, and that with all his might. For his obedience is in proportion to his love, the source from whence it flows. And therefore, loving God with all his heart, he serves him with all his strength.

14. By consequence, whatsoever he doeth, it is all to the glory of God. His one invariable rule is this, "Whatsoever ye do, in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."

15. Nor do the customs of the world at all hinder his "running the race that is set before him." He knows that vice does not lose its nature, though it becomes ever so fashionable; and remembers, that "every man is to give an account of himself to God." He cannot, therefore, "follow" even "a multitude to do evil." He cannot "fare sumptuously every day," or "make provision for the flesh to fulfill the lusts thereof." He cannot "lay up treasures upon earth," any more than he can take fire into his bosom. He cannot "adorn himself," on any pretence, "with gold or costly apparel." He cannot join in or countenance any diversion which has the least tendency to vice of any kind. He cannot "speak evil" of his neighbour, any more than he can lie either for God or man. He cannot utter an unkind word of any one; for love keeps the door of his lips. He cannot speak "idle words;" "no corrupt communication" ever "comes out of his mouth," as is all that "which is" not "good to the use of edifying," not "fit to minister grace to the hearers." But "whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are" justly "of good report," he thinks, and speaks, and acts, "adorning the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ in all things."

16. Lastly. As he has time, he "does good unto all men;" unto neighbours and strangers, friends and enemies: And that in every possible kind; not only to their bodies, by "feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting those that are sick or in prison;" but much more does he labour to do good to their souls, as of the ability which God giveth; to awaken those that sleep in death; to bring those who are awakened to the atoning blood, that, "being justified by faith, they may have peace with God;" and to provoke those who have peace with God to abound more in love and in good works.

17. These are the principles and practices of our sect; these are the marks of a true Methodist. By these alone do those who are in derision so called, desire to be distinguished from other men. If any man say, "Why, these are only the common fundamental principles of Christianity!" thou hast said; so I mean; this is the very truth; I know they are no other; and I would to God both thou and all men knew, that I, and all who follow my judgment, do vehemently refuse to be distinguished from other men, by any but the common principles of Christianity, -- the plain, old Christianity that I teach, renouncing and detesting all other marks of distinction. And having the mind that was in Christ, he so walks as Christ also walked. __________________

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
StanJ said:
I guess I only stand on one of those legs! Scripture is the ONLY leg to stand on. ☝
Ah! Then you are not aware that the NT was defined by the Church based on the apostolic tradition or that those who propose the notion of "sola scriptura" have given rise to some 50,000 various denominations, sects and divisions all based on the very same inspired, inerrant, "sola scriptura."

Obviously, there is a fly in that ointment.

If "sola scriptura" were a legitimate approach, then there would be only one Protestant denomination, not 50,000.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JimParker said:
Ah! Then you are not aware that the NT was defined by the Church based on the apostolic tradition or that those who propose the notion of "sola scriptura" have given rise to some 50,000 various denominations, sects and divisions all based on the very same inspired, inerrant, "sola scriptura."

Obviously, there is a fly in that ointment.

If "sola scriptura" were a legitimate approach, then there would be only one Protestant denomination, not 50,000.
What Paul said in 2 Tim 3:16 and Peter in 2 Peter 1:20 & 3:16, is true, but it doesn't mean it isn't subject to false teaching, especially when those reading it do not do so with the aid of the Holy Spirit in residence.

Our only mediator is Jesus and our only arbitrator is the written word of God.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
StanJ said:
What Paul said in 2 Tim 3:16 and Peter in 2 Peter 1:20 & 3:16, is true, but it doesn't mean it isn't subject to false teaching, especially when those reading it do not do so with the aid of the Holy Spirit in residence.

Our only mediator is Jesus and our only arbitrator is the written word of God.
<< especially when those reading it do not do so with the aid of the Holy Spirit in residence.>>

How is that tested?

Anyone can say "the Holy Spirit" showed me that......

But what has the Church taught from the beginning, everywhere and at all times?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JimParker said:
<< especially when those reading it do not do so with the aid of the Holy Spirit in residence.>>

How is that tested?

Anyone can say "the Holy Spirit" showed me that......

But what has the Church taught from the beginning, everywhere and at all times?
It's tested by what the scriptures do show us. God will never teach us something that is contrary to His written word.

Yes I agree, anyone can SAY, but it has to be demonstrated in the Word as well.

What is that?

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
StanJ said:
It's tested by what the scriptures do show us. God will never teach us something that is contrary to His written word.

Yes I agree, anyone can SAY, but it has to be demonstrated in the Word as well.

What is that?
<< It's tested by what the scriptures do show us. God will never teach us something that is contrary to His written word.>>

And we have 50,000 different denominations, sects, unaffiliated churches, etc. all claiming that "it's right there in the Bible."

And then you have the churches which also go to the apostolic tradition to insure that what they teach is what has always been taught and they have managed to keep their divisions to less than a half-dozen in almost 2000 years.

Let's see: The sola "Sola Scriptura" teaching of Protestant churches has produced about 50 thousand divisions in 500 years.
And, on the other hand, interpreting scripture according to the ancient tradition of the church has produced about 5 divisions in almost 2000 years.

Does that tell you anything? (Rhetorical question, I'm not hoping for a cogent answer.)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JimParker said:
<< It's tested by what the scriptures do show us. God will never teach us something that is contrary to His written word.>>

And we have 50,000 different denominations, sects, unaffiliated churches, etc. all claiming that "it's right there in the Bible."

And then you have the churches which also go to the apostolic tradition to insure that what they teach is what has always been taught and they have managed to keep their divisions to less than a half-dozen in almost 2000 years.

Let's see: The sola "Sola Scriptura" teaching of Protestant churches has produced about 50 thousand divisions in 500 years.
And, on the other hand, interpreting scripture according to the ancient tradition of the church has produced about 5 divisions in almost 2000 years.

Does that tell you anything? (Rhetorical question, I'm not hoping for a cogent answer.)
Man getting it wrong is NOT the issue. Let God be true and EVERY man be a liar. I can only be responsible for what I see and can defend by God's Word of Truth.
All the various denominations show is the Pride of Man, it does NOT discount SOLA Scriptura.

JimParker

Mar 31, 2015
Las Vegas, NV
StanJ said:
Man getting it wrong is NOT the issue. Let God be true and EVERY man be a liar. I can only be responsible for what I see and can defend by God's Word of Truth.
All the various denominations show is the Pride of Man, it does NOT discount SOLA Scriptura.
<< I can only be responsible for what I see and can defend by God's Word of Truth.>>

Right! You, 49,999 others, and every Tom, Dick and Harriet who comes down the pike with a 3rd grade education and a KJV that they arrogantly think qualifies them to interpret the Bible (even without pictures)!

<< All the various denominations show is the Pride of Man, it does NOT discount SOLA Scriptura.>>

Sola Scriptura is an open door to man's pride, to rascals who want to twist the scriptures, and to ignorant, arrogant, hucksters like Charlie Russel and Ellen White, Creflo Dollar, Peter Popoff, and a host of others who want to make money preaching and peddling their "(not so) Holy Ghost" inspired versions of scripture.

The slogan "Sola Scriptura - Sole Fide" was coined by Father Martin Luther specifically to refute the false teachings which were being promulgated by John Tetzel and used to aid in his selling of selling of indulgences. There is nothing in scripture OR in holy tradition that supports any practice by which one could buy their way out of hell or purgatory. Luther in no way refuted the holy tradition of the church because that tradition and the scriptures were in total agreement.

What it did not mean was that any ignorant nincompoop could pick up a Bible which was written in a language that he did not speak (King James [Jacobean] English) and base his babbling on what he or she thought the Sola Scriptura said.

The Holy Tradition, that which the apostles learned from Jesus and passed on to the very early church, secures the teaching of the Church to Jesus' teaching.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
JimParker said:
Right! You, 49,999 others, and every Tom, Dick and Harriet who comes down the pike with a 3rd grade education and a KJV that they arrogantly think qualifies them to interpret the Bible (even without pictures)!

Sola Scriptura is an open door to man's pride, to rascals who want to twist the scriptures, and to ignorant, arrogant, hucksters like Charlie Russel and Ellen White, Creflo Dollar, Peter Popoff, and a host of others who want to make money preaching and peddling their "(not so) Holy Ghost" inspired versions of scripture.

The slogan "Sola Scriptura - Sole Fide" was coined by Father Martin Luther specifically to refute the false teachings which were being promulgated by John Tetzel and used to aid in his selling of selling of indulgences. There is nothing in scripture OR in holy tradition that supports any practice by which one could buy their way out of hell or purgatory. Luther in no way refuted the holy tradition of the church because that tradition and the scriptures were in total agreement.

What it did not mean was that any ignorant nincompoop could pick up a Bible which was written in a language that he did not speak (King James [Jacobean] English) and base his babbling on what he or she thought the Sola Scriptura said.

The Holy Tradition, that which the apostles learned from Jesus and passed on to the very early church, secures the teaching of the Church to Jesus' teaching.
Yeh, every Tom, Dick, Harriet and JIM.
I find most people, who like you are very prideful of their so-called education, lack the very character Jesus commended in people...humility.
Please read Luke 18:9-14
Apparently you are incapable of making a point without belittling others.

It really doesn't matter to me that this Latin term is used, the truth of God's word still holds. Your apparent disdain for the RCC is not the issue in Sola Scriptura. Like I said, men do it wrong, the truth in God's word doesn't.

Actually that is exactly what it means IF you understand what Paul did teach in 2 Tim 2:15. He was NOT talking about going to seminary. Although I'm not a big fan of the KJV, studying involves more than just reading A translation, and much more than getting a few years in an educational institution.

The tradition of the NT church is IN the NT, as there is no descendancy taught in it.

What tradition are you referring to?

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jim,

Martin Luther was not thrown out of the Church because he agreed with all the traditions and practices of the Church. Moreover, his 95 Theses, that attacked indulgences primarily and supported sola fide were condemned by Pope Leo X in 1520. So it does not seem to me that Luther was simply opposed to a wayward priest and his practices.

Moreover, your arguments sound solid, but are quite biased. The fact is that the hierarchy of the Church throughout the Middle Ages was fraught with corruption. Simony was a significant problem and history shows that there were some popes that were quite unscrupulous. So, its not quite fair to say that on the one hand you have thousands of denominations and a host of ignorant people bringing about all kinds of heresy and health and wealth practitioners while on the other hand you have a unified and holy tradition packaged perfectly as the Apostles handed it down.

The fact is that both sides have issues and both sides have amazing figures that have done wonders for Christianity.

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree with the above, if it were as simple as that, then we'd not have overlapping Orthodox jurisdictions here in the US nor would we have the struggles, though often minimized, that pit "the nuns" vs the Pope or the conservatives, etc. That said, I still admire things about both Churches in their historic traditions, even if the rationale for some of the traditions is questionable.

Martin Luther himself (95 theses):

1. When our Lord and Master, Jesus Christ, said "Repent", He called for the entire life of believers to be one of repentance.

2. The word cannot be properly understood as referring to the sacrament of penance, i.e. confession and satisfaction, as administered by the clergy.

3. Yet its meaning is not restricted to repentance in one's heart; for such repentance is null unless it produces outward signs in various mortifications of the flesh.

4. As long as hatred of self abides (i.e. true inward repentance) the penalty of sin abides, viz., until we enter the kingdom of heaven.

5. The pope has neither the will nor the power to remit any penalties beyond those imposed either at his own discretion or by canon law.
Source: http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/history/95theses.htm