The Wisdom of Sirach/Ecclesiasticus

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Hidden In Him

Do you know if it was the Greek Septuagint that Jesus read?

I think I keep spelling it wrong. Oy.

You spelled it correctly. :)

I would have to go back and see the numbers specifically regarding what Jesus Himself quoted, but I know in general that in the places where New Testament writers quoted the Old Testament, the great majority came from the Septuagint. There are believed to be 340 places where the New Testament cites the Septuagint, and 33 places where it cites from the Masoretic (the Jewish Old Testament). I have not personally looked through them all, but I have little doubt it's true. Every time I come across things in study, it is nearly always the Septuagint that is being quoted or paraphrased.

Reactions: DuckieLady

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You spelled it correctly. :)

I would have to go back and see the numbers specifically regarding what Jesus Himself quoted, but I know in general that in the places where New Testament writers quoted the Old Testament, the great majority came from the Septuagint. There are believed to be 340 places where the New Testament cites the Septuagint, and 33 places where it cites from the Masoretic (the Jewish Old Testament). I have not personally looked through them all, but I have little doubt it's true. Every time I come across things in study, it is nearly always the Septuagint that is being quoted or paraphrased.
Interesting, thanks! Gonna look into it myself. Getting a bit tired now... Will check back later :)

Reactions: Hidden In Him

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@FluffyYellowDuck It has been said that the Apocrypha can be interpreted as backing the idea of a supposed purgatory; whereas the Lord Jesus 'by Himself purged our sins' at the cross (Hebrews 1).

There isn't any of that in Sirach from what I can tell. You know when it comes to Tobit, Esdra, Jude and those other ones, I haven't read any of them in close enough detail to make an informed opinion. I more so glanced through them.

I don't approve of Wisdom of Solomon. I know that.

Pythagorean12

Oct 8, 2021
Laurel
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Avoid Google. Go to DuckDuckGo.
I agree. Google is my browsers default SE, but DDG is better. I just have to stop putting off switching the Duck to default position.

Bing is good for all their great wallpapers that change daily on that SE.